Who Are The Lurkers? Introduce Yourself.

Hello, everyone

Normally, I don't post to forums because I don't usually post unless I have something to say.

That being said, now on to what I haven't put on my profile page. I was born in Buffalo, New York and moved to Aiea, Hawaii (I can see Pearl Harbor from my balcony). I have lived here since 1989. I've basically known about this hobby for a few years now, but for some reason always put off being active. I have just logged my first find within the last week. :laughing:

I've always been a bit of a geek. I have enjoyed more intellectual stuff rather than hard sports. (The one exception is I have had the habit of walking for exercise, ometimes for miles.) What is becoming more and more attractive about this hobby is the blend of walking and solving puzzles. After taking a look at some of the caches here on the island, I have my work cut out for me. :laughing:

- Kantron

Hello, everyone

Normally, I don't post to forums because I don't usually post unless I have something to say.

That being said, now on to what I haven't put on my profile page. I was born in Buffalo, New York and moved to Aiea, Hawaii (I can see Pearl Harbor from my balcony). I have lived here since 1989. I've basically known about this hobby for a few years now, but for some reason always put off being active. I have just logged my first find within the last week. :laughing:

I've always been a bit of a geek. I have enjoyed more intellectual stuff rather than hard sports. (The one exception is I have had the habit of walking for exercise, ometimes for miles.) What is becoming more and more attractive about this hobby is the blend of walking and solving puzzles. After taking a look at some of the caches here on the island, I have my work cut out for me. :laughing:

- Kantron

Hi all! Lurker here! We are new to Geocaching, only have about 43 under our belt, but we are completely loving it. 'We' consists of, me, Melissa, my Husband Darby, and our 2 girls, Chelsea (11) and Hailey (4). We are expecting our third girl, Tori, in February. We are completely addicted to this new sport that we were introduced to through friends, and we have already passed the addiction on to my brother and his family. We are getting out, showing our girls things we never even knew existed in our area, and the girls absolutely LOVE finding (and replacing) treasures.

So, anyhow, yes I am a lurker, but I am learning alot about caching and I thank you all for some great advice and ideas!

I am an involuntary lurker. Huh? "How's that?" you say?

I would seem that there are 2 Amazons, one being in Coffeevile, Ks., some 3 hours out, and the other being actually located somewhere along THE Amazon! I'm a new guy and still waiting for my GPSr which was ordered 11 days ago! It would appear that my order is being shipped from the latter location. I have several posts and many hours reading the different forums. There is only so much one can do while waiting. So here I sit "banished" to lurkdom.

Often when discussing features of the website, the point is raised that many of the people who might feel one way, or another about a given topic never actually say anything because the forums are so hostile.

Another good point that often comes up is that the forum is where people come to learn about caching, and we should try give the best impression we can.

I'm curious to know how many people are out there quietly taking it all in.

There really is no topic here, so you can't post off topic. And since there is no topic, there needn't be any arguing either. :blink:

Feel free to use this thread to say "Hi", and introduce yourself.

Hi, I don't usually say much because I mostly use the forums on the iPod and don't type fast on it's tiny keyboard.

Hello all,

Navi Savi is a couple. Dean and Jenn. Jenn doesn't really like the 'forum' stuff so instead of creating a 'one time log-in' account for her... We are Navi Savi. Skilled and Vivacious Infidels.

Jenn is a full time Oncology Nurse.

I (Dean) run a custom wood door shop.

I recall reading about Geocaching several years ago, in a magazine I believe. I thought the idea was genius, but it seemed like the caches were hill/mountain tops, or far-out lake shores... Beautiful places I would rarely (if ever) be able to get , plus the challenge of affording the several hundred dollar GPSr price tags of the time.

Another forum I frequent had a discussion on compass and map navigating and my memory was refreshed about Caching, I've been extremely excited about getting into it.

Jenn and I enjoy being outside when the weather is nice and this is a great way for us to spend time together outside. Plus, it's good exercise for us both. Jenn is a problem solver and loves a challenge. I love roaming around (Navi) outside, makes me feel a little normal/human.

I try to keep worthless 'banter' posts to a minimum so you may only see me/us posting logs. Maybe an occasional question I can't find the answer to. Unfortunately, sometimes a topic and its discussion will catch my eye and I feel compelled to say something, I usually catch myself and just hit the back button.

Hopefully we'll make it to a local picnic or event when another one comes around. Meeting people is great fun. Arguing with their virtual representations over semantics, rules, ethics, and politics is not.

Thanks to/for the group.

Navi Savi.

Hi I'm brand BRAND new.

I'd never heard of geocaching until these strange people started stopping out in front of our house and couldn't figure out what they were doing. Looking in the bushes, looking at and around the sign. Finally one day we asked them what they were doing. They told us, I came in to look it up and here I am.

We thought it would be a good family activity, get us out and about.

Looking forward to having lots of fun.

Hello all!

I started caching a little over a year ago when I bought a Garmin Nuvi for an upcoming trip to Los Angles. I kind of stumbled across the Geocaching link on the Garmin site and I've been hooked ever since. Caching has become a family activity and a good excuse to get us out and about even on not so nice days. I've been to so many places that I probably would have never discovered if it wasn't for caching.

I discovered this forum right away and I have used it to learn about caching and solve problem both with caching and my Garmin Oregon. I'm normally not one to post to forums for various reasons but as i grow in this activity I think it will be a good resource.

Rob

Hello! I'm a seventeen (well, on Wednesday :lol: ) years young human being, who lives in Northern California. I go to the local high school, where I am an honors student and a member of the choir. I first heard about geocaching my freshman year from my teacher, and I've been hooked ever since! If I didn't have as much homework I would actually have free time to cache, but for now I remain trapped in a series of large history textbooks.

Casas, thank you for introducing this sport to me. :)

The "Grumpy" part of TeamVasquez. Relatively new to this and enjoying the heck out of it. Stopping by to say hello. I havent gotten into the forums here>Still getting a feel for the sport. Ive been in forums in a car related field before and know how nice some are and helpful and often times, how cut throat it can be. I am prepared, I just dont have any thing "intelligent" :unsure: to add yet.

I have lurked a few times, I am lurking right now at 3:30 am, at work while eating lunch. New to Geocaching as of January of this year. Like it much just haven't done it as much as would like to. Now that the rattlesnakes are going back to sleep can most likely get the Mrs. half of Pipeline Putters back out there in the wilderness. It's time........ :(

Hi! I'm upearly13 and I've been lurking and then geocaching with my daughter for a couple of months. We've found two :) and looked for the one closest to home four times.... :) A friend at work got me hooked and we are enjoying the hunt and learning a lot on the way. Our next vacation will definitely have a few more stopping points than ever before! :o

I am new to this forum & also new to geocaching. My son brought a book home on the topic of geocaching. Right away I did a little research & bought a Vista HCx. We are going geocaching tomorrow. I downloaded 5 geocaches to the GPS. Just thought I'd hang around here sometimes & see if I can learn anything. I'm already wanting to get a detailed city map for my Garmin. Is the Garmin site the only place to get those? Oh my name is David & I live in southern Iowa. From Alabama originally, ROLL TIDE.

Hello everybody, I've just been introduced to geocaching by darling boyfriend and friends. I've ALWAYS wanted to be a treasure hunter, so was immediately interested, the problem is I live in a fairly rough neighbourhood in one of the more densely populated English cities, and I'm always too busy to get around to going for a drive in the countryside. I was told about the GC website then....

"I wonder if there's any near where I live?..... OMG!!!! There's like five of them within walking distance.... OK, it's midnight, that's a bit late for going out treasure hunting around here, I wonder if there's any near my office?... Hahaha! There's one right outside the front door - in fact there's about 10 in the city centre. Woohoo!!"

That was two days ago, and now I've got two finds to my name. Both have required quite a bit of stealth, so I took a colleague along to help me distract the muggles. Have discovered that the best way to ninja in the city is to carry a clipboard - two people with a clipboard are immediately invisible. :anicute:

Still going through the "There's treasure everywhere!!" stage of over-excitement, finding excuses to go and visit relatives so that I can cache hunt near their location, checking out places I've recently been on my travels and kicking myself for not knowing that I was sat on a cache only a few weeks ago in a foreign city.

I travel abroad a lot, especially between the USA and UK, so hopefully shall help a few TBs leave one continent or the other. This is so-o exciting, where shall I go today?.... ;)

I am breaking my maiden with this post (it's a horse-racing term btw).

I have heard about Geocaching from my seven plus years as a Georger (www.wheresgeorge.com), the people who stamp and track the currency.

What prompted me to actually start looking into this Geocaching stuff was a fellow Georger I talk to on IRC called Toriee over here. Also one of my favorite podcasters and authors, J.C. Hutchins, mentioned Geocaching in one of his recent podcasts (the Dr. Mike one from Seventh Son Seven Days).

Since Hutch doesn't live that far from me, I hope to read his comments in caches I find. Right now I am getting over illness, an impending move, and unemployment. Then I will buy a GPSr (any suggestions?), download an app for my iTouch (even though the battery can't hold a charge anymore), and get out there.

EJKorvette

Often when discussing features of the website, the point is raised that many of the people who might feel one way, or another about a given topic never actually say anything because the forums are so hostile.

Another good point that often comes up is that the forum is where people come to learn about caching, and we should try give the best impression we can.

I'm curious to know how many people are out there quietly taking it all in.

There really is no topic here, so you can't post off topic. And since there is no topic, there needn't be any arguing either. :)

Feel free to use this thread to say "Hi", and introduce yourself.

:( I had no idea that so many people get so upset about going for a hike and looking for a cache. Also that people would attempt to sell, preach a faith, religion, greed, or orientation. Gee weez Louise, we are just having fun on a hike aren't we? I just would like to know how along it takes to get a listing approved?

I'm not lurking anymore.

Edited by Wallybworld

I'm new. First reply. What better place than here. I have not noticed much negative comments but then again most of the forums I have read have been about what the he!! this Geocaching thing is all about.

Enjoying the hobby and will probably invest in a better GPS so that is where I have been spending my time, in the "What GPS to buy" forums.

Hope to more of a contributor soon

Borky

Had to end with a smiley :rolleyes:

I am new here. I just started 2 weeks ago and during that time mainly just lurking/learning. I believe I did post 1 or 2 topics about my Magellen Triton 400 but other than that, just lurking. Bought the Idiot's guide to Geocaching for more (and also mobile) reading....it has got alot of good info in it.

I live at the foot of the Ozarks in Arkansas and have so far only found 2 caches (I literally just started geocaching yesterday, up until then I was researching, working and playing with/learning my gps).

I do wish there were more/bigger caches here. Most of them in this area are micro or small size.

Why is that?

We have tons of woods, parks and the National Forest to play in....we need bigger caches!!! B)

I am new to all of this...I've never messed with a gps until 2 weeks ago, I am still learning. And I am working on learning how to think like a cacher...so as of now I have decided to forgo the micro and small sized one's until I get the hang of it. Don't get me wrong but I have looked for a few micro's and small sizes BUT either I AM too blonde for my own good or just don't have that "think like a cacher" mentality just yet or these micro's and small sizes are MIA.

I know 1 I was looking for hasn't been found since April 2009, another since Jan 2009 and another was found this month (but I DNF because of all the little muggles running around, so I had to give up).

Hello all. Been caching for a few years now....joined in 2006. This is my second post, so I guess I've been a lurker for a while now...LOL.

My hobbies include Scuba Diving, RC cars, boats, trucks, planes, and helicopters, I'm starting Paragliding lessons this summer, and of course Geocaching.

I'm US military stationed in Stuttgart Germany, and will be here for 2 more years.....

Anything else just ask!

Hi...I'm Sunshine...the fun loving geocacher in my family of 5! I am fairly new, although I have found 73 caches in about 4 months. I am in Real Estate and am always driving all over the place..now no matter where I am, when the work is done ...I geocache! I have been having a great time learning the sport mostly out solo, but today is the kind of day I love most. My two teen sons and I out hiking. We completed a (for me a strenuous hike) long 2 mile hike to a 2/3 cache. Then my first ever FTF, a 1/4. I like the challenge of the game and getting out in nature. I am studying, planning, and making "protoypes" for my first hide. I have learned a lot from the forums...thanks!! :(

Hi All,

I am fairly new to this, started in August (geocaching, not lurking). Not sure if I am a lurker, I don't think I've lurked enough although I lurked once. My post to read ratio is low in as much as I haven't read much either. My lurk to post ratio is low to the point that I do not think it is enough to justify calling myself a lurker, I think I need to earn my er to add to my lurk.

I am upto 64 caches, half found with gps, half without.

I went to a walking weekend in Dartmoor (biggish hills called Tors in south of England that surround a prison and a gnome home) in August and someone there mentioned geocaching and said it was a bit like letterboxing (have always been fascinated by letterboxing but never tried). When I got home, Googled geocaching and looked for nearest to my place of work (Watts the Point) and have never looked back.

I am 40, like kite flying and also, hence my nickname, origami.

I have 3 childre: 14, 13 and 10, my 10 year old also enjoys geocaching.

I have introduced one of my friends and a work collegue to geocaching.

Heres to boosting my lurk to post to read ratios to bypass lurker to regular contributer!

Best Wishes,

Origamian

Hi, My profile shows I have been a member since 2007 but I have only 4 finds. This shows the time that it took from my initial interest to actually getting out there. I did my first searches only 2 weeks ago. I don't really know what held me back but now I am hooked!!! I am going out today!

Hi I'am Femke, the F from A&F

We (Adriaan and myself) have been caching since early 2006. I read a lot on the Dutch Forum, and when I have some extra time I read here on this forum too.

And it seems we, both A and F are, well, lets say, a little addicted to geocaching.....

Femke

Hello, I have been lurking off and on for a few years now. I finally decided it was time to drag the family out and give this a try. My children LOVE it, they like the idea of finding things that other people don't even know is there. My wife and I love it because it is something we can do as a family. Besides I enjoy solving puzzles and this is a blast for me. We only have 5 finds in the last two days but, we are into to this more for the time with family than pure numbers (though I do love numbers!)

We are lucky in that we have a lot of Cache's near our house, in fact the first one we found we walked to in less than 10 minutes. :D

If anyone in the Everett Wa area would like to meet up some day for some caching or even just sharing stories let me know.

I'm a lurker. I just started and often feel like I don't have much to add. I am an animal rescuer by trade and love that this is an activity I can do with my dogs and fosters to liven up the walks and hikes we need to do. I am an amateur photographer and love to take the DSLR on hikes and walks.

I have cached with esmiralda33 a couple times but I mostly go alone or with the dogs. I don't get out of the house much and my husband and closest friends have long work hours so it's been great having something I love to do without needing to spend a lot of money or needing someone to go with me.

I have a Garmin Nuvi 360 my mother bought me for Christmas last year to help with my business-related trips, but I never really knew it was the key to my perfect activity!

Just though I'd post up here as a lurker aswell, since there really is no particular reason that I don't post. I suppose it's simply because I'm intimdated by all you "ol'-timers", despite the fact that most the threads I have read, everyone seems lovely. Maybe my view comes from the thread I just arrived here from that was complaining about how much geo-caching has changed over the years, and the question was asked: Is the the fault of the new-comers? Needless to say, my ideas of placing a cache (the many ideas, which I thought were actually decent enough!) have been ditched and I don't see myself laying any until I get into triple-figure finds atleast.

Being the only person I know who geocaches in my family, and indeed what seems to be in Northern Ireland as a whole (any "Norn Iron-ish", please stick your hand up for me!), and having zero time as a student to go geocaching, I simply feel like I've nothing important to add (which is true!) and will be shunned. It's a shame because I do actually want to meet people who geocache, and you do get a fair bit of a community feel around here, but oh well. Just imagine these hundreds of lurkers suddenly started posted.. And remember, we're the ones who have read all your secrets, so treat us nicely!

#"Tis the season to be merry, tra la la la la la, tra la la etc."#

Welcome to all the lurkers - Make 2010 the year when you take a deep breath and launch yourself full pelt into a forum thread somehwere! :)

@ Origamian and Jeannine" -

I hope you drop into the Groundspeak United Kingdom and Ireland forum and also the G.A.G.B. also.

Happy caching to all!

MrsB santa_smiley.gif

Hello to everybody!

just want to introduce myself here @ Groundspeak.

I´m a 47 year old guy, living in germany with my partner and her 2 children.

Not yet started with the game, but very fascinated and willing to buy a GPS after Xmas.

So, yes, I was LURKING around here... :angry: gathering information about GC and geocoins.

Because thats how I noticed about GC at all: I am a traditional coin-collector, my main field of activity are the modern chinese commemorative coins, but also any other countries - as long as it has beautiful animal as theme, coins like that:

pandagold04.jpgpanda96pp.jpg

Almost every day I am @ ebay, looking for chinese coins and sometimes selling a few doubles.

Doing that, a few weeks ago, checking the "other items" of a seller, there were these STRANGE OBJECTS in his list... geocoins??? never heard about it...

Some half hour later, looking @ google, wikipedia, Groundspeak... it happend that I got infected with a serious case of geocoinitis... :o

But I think I really like geocaching as a sport, beeing out, hiking in the nature (as I did before), additionally having the excitement of caching and sharing it with others, will fit my recreational needs perfectly!

Well, hope to meet you soon - here in forum or outside caching.

Kind regards and a merry christmas season!

Eric

Edited by Eric van Graveheart