Who Are The Lurkers? Introduce Yourself.

I lurk for several of the reasons others have posted. Namely, my post count being zero makes me feel like I should post only questions, not answers; and I have gotten into forums before and tired quickly of the back and forth. In person, most people know when to shut up, on forums, only the few.

Not lurking anymore, but thought I would add a reply here to introduce myself.

AlohaBra from Dublin, California.

Almost a year caching now. Things really took off for me when I started using Pilotsnipes NUVI macro for paperless geocaching. Slowed down a bit for the winter weather, but ready to go again now that it is spring.

BTW, the Aloha part comes from the years that I use to live in the Hawaiian Islands (1980-86).

OK, I guess it's time I said Hi. I've been one of those "lurkers" for a while now, and honestly I've never posted before mostly because caching is mostly a real-world activity for me, and rather too many posters in here seem oddly hostile about various things with regard to a hobby I find to be both relaxed and relaxing.

I don't remember exactly what got me started doing this...it may just have been an excuse to buy a GPS, but it quickly became a different way to see the world, seeking out its neglected corners and seeing the magnetic key holder under a handrail that the thousands of people who pass by every day not looking for it have missed for years...

I've certainly been frustrated by a few caches over the years, but never to the point of being angry at the people who hid them.

Anyway, howdy all!

Hi All, I (WE) am Malcesine and have been caching for about 1 year and enjoy this hobby greatly. It takes us to places we would not normally go to and see things we would never see under any other circumstances. We live in an area with many hundreds of caches, but we are also aware of how few people we meet have ever heard of Geocaching. I visit the forums on occasions and have been known to post, and yes there are some who seem to enjoy putting some cachers down but we all need to remember that without each other (good and bad) then Geocaching would not exist. So wether you are a <_< or a :P or <_< or :lol: or even a :P have fun and enjoy.Regards

Hi Y'all B) ,

A newbie here to the Geocaching World. Started couple days ago and I have to say, I'm hooked!

So far, I've been running literally, around my neighborhood :unsure: finding these treasures.

Soon, I hope to hunt outside the neighborhood! :D

I would like to join a local group in the Katy, TX area if anyone know of a group. I'd be very appreciative in letting me know.

Mahalo

:)

Hi, we ahve been geocaching since Easter. We have 129 finds. Its a great family hobby. I usually read the forums every day but seldom post. Recently I posted a few times just to complain about all the anti mod postings.

What I like most is getting info for geocaching, I learned about paperless caching and bought a Dell Axim 3, and use GPS Sonar, and Mapopolis. I really like being able to learn new tech items.

I also like the stories of the unusal finds, ect. I would love to see a geocaching magazine or newsletter with more stories.

Thanks for all the fun created by Jeremy and crew. A very satisfied customer.

<_< sounds like a great idea to me!

Hi, another Newbie lurking about, just found my first one - combination of car satnav, written directions and drunken bee search !! - researching a GPS to buy (when paid at end of month) Reading with interest all the review - currently favour a Garmin but not sure which yet ? Must have an SD card and a direct USB connection (probably one of the HCx models)

cheers

Palujia

:wub: LandLovers here ....... Hello, I do a lot of lurking here to learn more. I joined in 2007, but I've only posted a question once, and got a couple of responses from impatient people.

Recently, I've been lurking around this site to see if there's a singles group that has organized events. I've read several posts that suggested it, but haven't found anything yet.

New to the forum, waited my 24 hrs and now I'm ready! Found 4 out of 5 caches today. What a blast! I'm still researching which GPSr to purchase. Any thoughts are surely welcomed...

deciding between Magellan eXplorist GC or Garmin eTrex Vista HCx

Thanks for the help!

:rolleyes: Welcome to a whole new world socduncan,

I love the saying, "Geocaching......same planet, different world" As you geocache, you will find that to be so true!!

As for your question about which GPS to buy; there are LOTS of reviews on the "Welcome to Geocaching" page on geocaching.com. I used those reviews, then I also got on http://www.consumerreports.org/ to get more unbias opinions. I think there is also a group discussion for this topic on the main Forum pages - you might want to check the topics out too.

I hope this was helpful, and good luck to ya :laughing:

:laughing: Welcome to a whole new world socduncan,

I love the saying, "Geocaching......same planet, different world" As you geocache, you will find that to be so true!!

As for your question about which GPS to buy; there are LOTS of reviews on the "Welcome to Geocaching" page on geocaching.com. I used those reviews, then I also got on http://www.consumerreports.org/ to get more unbias opinions. I think there is also a group discussion for this topic on the main Forum pages - you might want to check the topics out too.

I hope this was helpful, and good luck to ya :anicute:

Thanks Land Lovers! Appreciate the help... :laughing:

Hi Y'all :D ,

A newbie here to the Geocaching World. Started couple days ago and I have to say, I'm hooked!

So far, I've been running literally, around my neighborhood :sad: finding these treasures.

Soon, I hope to hunt outside the neighborhood! :)

I would like to join a local group in the Katy, TX area if anyone know of a group. I'd be very appreciative in letting me know.

Mahalo

:huh:

Check out the Texas Geocaching website http://www.texasgeocaching.com/ and keep an eye out for local events. The Houston area geocachers are a great group http://hgcs.org/. We stumbled upon our local group (South West Arlington Area Geocachers SWAG) that meets every week and have made a ton of wonderful new friends.

I am a lurker too which means I have learned a lot from the good (and bad) who post to the forums. The most important thing I've learned from the forums is about how to write a good log entry and the problem of lazy TYFC TNLNSL etc... Haven't used them since then! I was challenged to write a thoughtful log and have enjoyed the record (kind of like an online journal) of my geocaching journey.

I read the NOOB questions and answers and I'm amazed at how patient and helpful everyone is. I've learned alot, but am now getting a little beyond the standard NOOB questions. Actually I'm here right now trying to figure out where to post a techie type question.

Just wanted to say hi to everyone! I'm not exactly a noob to caching anymore (we've been at it for just over a year with 368 finds in about 10 states). However we haven't really been hitting the forums much. For now we're based out of Huntington, WV (we're a couple, C and J). Geocaching forums do seem like a good place to spend time NOT doing work :D

So hello everyone!

Often when discussing features of the website, the point is raised that many of the people who might feel one way, or another about a given topic never actually say anything because the forums are so hostile.

Another good point that often comes up is that the forum is where people come to learn about caching, and we should try give the best impression we can.

I'm curious to know how many people are out there quietly taking it all in.

There really is no topic here, so you can't post off topic. And since there is no topic, there needn't be any arguing either. :unsure:

Feel free to use this thread to say "Hi", and introduce yourself.

Now you tell me there may be hostility and arguments! :unsure: I just began last week and arrived here to learn. It's like a rebirth! :lol:

I found my first cache last week with my "plus 2". Tried finding my second cache, which was supposedly easier than the first one, when I had crazy compass problems. That's discussed in the iPhone App thread. My plus 1 was with me the first time and yesterday, my plus 2.

Both were completely uninterested, bored and impatient but I want their company... I think!! :D

Just realized, maybe the plus 2 deserves an explanation. Plus 1 and Plus 2 are husband and dog, in NO particular order!!!!

Now, I'm introduced! :D

Often when discussing features of the website, the point is raised that many of the people who might feel one way, or another about a given topic never actually say anything because the forums are so hostile.

Another good point that often comes up is that the forum is where people come to learn about caching, and we should try give the best impression we can.

There really is no topic here, so you can't post off topic. And since there is no topic, there needn't be any arguing either. :laughing:

Exactly as you said, Bloencustoms, although it is a geocaching topic, not a website specific feature discussion:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...p;#entry4293174

I think I'll revert to lurker status. Not happy right now. Hopefully, that will change.

i have been at this since November of 09' i dont post much but i read a lot and its not because i dont have anything to say or ask about but because someone has usually beaten me to the question/comment. so in a sense i post vicariously through everyone else, and if that doesnt make me a lurker i dont know what will.

There really is no topic here, so you can't post off topic. And since there is no topic, there needn't be any arguing either. :D

hi my name is Ray and I'm very new. I have found 4 caches so far aroun Selah, WA. This is so much fun. It's exciting and an it's an adventure. Thank you everyone. My next step is to provide my own cache, then set up a real membership. I can't wait. :)

Been lurking for maybe a year here on and off, recently got the bug to actually do some geocaching adventures. Haven't actually gone out yet as I'm just gathering up all the necessary tools first so that I'm prepared. Moving to weekends off in a couple weeks which comes at a good time of year. Like to get out with the family for impromptu day trips all around the region so adding geocache hunting to the adventures is a natural progression. Picked up a Megellan Explorist 400 with a bunch of stuff from a forum member here as well as a Sony Clie PDA from my sister for free. So I think I'm nearly all set to start venturing about.

Mike

I think I'm too much of a newb to be a lurker at this point. But as lunchbox201 said, most of my questions have already been answered somewhere in the forum.

I heard about geocaching years ago. I think I saw some coverage on one of the events or some such. At the time I had no idea one could geocache on their own. I stumbled upon the site and decided to join - now I wished I'd done this years ago.

My boy and I went out today and found three caches. You just can't beat the time spent with family sharing something in common. My boy will find his own path in life as he grows up, but I think this is something we will always share.

Hi my name is Jen I am a renewed cacher? became a member in 2005 6 finds (don't even ask LOL)

most of those this spring

not many caches in our area at that time I stumbled across this site in my favs a few weeks back I thought I would check my area again and BINGO!!!! 2 in my neighbor hood!! and tons more around!

and Heck even hid a cache last week in a near by park!

I go with daughter and hubby sometimes joins in on the hunt!

I have come here often found many useful topics and ideas here!

Hello all. I started geocaching while recovering from spinal surgery. I had been a runner and couldn't do that for a while before and after the surgery. So I decided I needed something to get me outdoors and moving, albeit at a slower pace. Joined in January and used my iPhone for a while. I really got the bug and introduced my wife to the game. Fortunately, I am able to run again but continue to keep looking for hidden treasures. I even bought a Garmin 60Cx to use in conjunction with the iPhone. My wife and I attended a local potluck get together earlier this month and met a lot of nice people. I have used the forums to find answers to questions that we have had but I only posted once before this one.

Edited by beekayy

Hi. :rolleyes: I'm another one that has been lurking for a little while. I'm a 25 year old music teacher in the Capital District of New York. I am really enjoying Geocaching. It is a really cool thing that I can do on my own, or with my boyfriend. Much better than being in front of a computer all day :ph34r:

Just in the past several weeks, I have been to so many cool places, many I live right by and never even knew about. It's awesome! I can't wait to go home and visit my parents on Long Island and do some caching down there. I lived there 23 years, so I'm excited to see what new places I will discover that I somehow missed (suprisingly!) lol

We are just starting with this hobby. We are Kurt and Jan and form the team "Two HAMsters". We are both Ham radio enthusiasts, hence the HAMsters moniker.

We are using this hobby to not only explore our area, but to get to know other areas when we travel in our RV. We will use this for fun as well as great excercise hiking about.

Because of our work schedules we typically get to go out after work in the evening and look for one, maybe two.

Cheers,

Kurt and Jan

There really is no topic here, so you can't post off topic. And since there is no topic, there needn't be any arguing either. :D

I am a semi newbie having 41 cashes under my belt. This is with out a doubt, the most fun activity me, my friends, and my family love to do. After talking to a friend who also caches, we have noticed a trend here lately. I/we were wondering if any one else has taken notice of the lack of caches that should be in or around the spots that it takes you to. For instance today I took my kids out to look for a few easy micro's today. and all three after considerable looking came up with nothing. At first I just thought it was bad luck or just missed it, but for me not to find three in a row that were found less then two weeks ago makes me wonder. If any one has any thoughts or suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Happy caching all.

Luke M

jlm0rris

and the Morris-Pirates

Hi all,

we're new to geocaching after being introduced to it by a good friend of ours.

only found 1 cache(without GPS might i add-and found on purpose haha) so far but finally got my gps uploaded with info so hoping to get more in :anibad:

It's been fun so far B)

Hello folks, I am BigAl437 (Rob) and I have been caching for about one year. Currently at 98 finds. I just had surgery so I am off work for a while and going to the forums gives me something to do. I cache with my wife and three kids. I really learn a lot from all of the posts I read. I have started replying to a lot of the posts and hopefully what I have to say is helpful to others. Nice to meet everyone.

Yes, it is true, when learning about geocaching many searchengine results will lead you to these forums. It is an excellent point you have made about the ton and behaviour of those posting here. Lucky, I am thick skinned and other then my introduction posts, I do not think I will have too much need for these forums. Maybe for questions along the way.

I have learned, along with the things I wanted to learn, too much I could have lived my whole geocaching life without ever learning. The drama stuff, and rumors, and bickering. Personally, not my cup o tea. I plan on participating for the positive experience and if that means less or no time in the forum and more time outside hunting or hiding caches, well...... you won't see me crying.

No matter where you go in life you will find good and you with find, well.... a little dusty and worn. There is both positive and negative to be had or to be. We all make our choice on which to be and which to be "in".

While, like I said, I have seen and read things here I could have gone forever and a day without reading, it hasn't discouraged me from wanting to play the game, the way I think and understand the game was meant to be played.

So "HELLO!" and thanks for having me here.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=248662

you can read my message to all post, if you like.

much respect~ 5$

Hi there! Complete newbie here... don't even have my GPS unit yet.

My fiancee and I are going out on Sunday (hopefully) for our first caches. Dropping by my parents' house for Mother's Day and borrowing my mom's GPS nav unit for the day. Hopefully mom or dad (or both) will want to come with us.

Anyway, thought I should say hi. New Jerseyans will soon start seeing my calling card swag around. Looking forward to the adventure.

-Chris

We are relatively new to geocaching, so I come to the forums to learn. Due to the negativism in some of the threads, we almost didn't hide our first cache! Wasn't sure if I could handle any negative comments in the logs. So far, have had only positive comments and we are plotting a few more caches. So, I lurk and learn.

Hi, I go by the name RkyMtnHootOwl, which is a bit long on some of the small logs, so there you will see RMHO for short! I am having a great time, finding parks and byways that I did not know were here in Denver. So finding a cache is fun for sure, over 40 so far in a month, but certainly not the only benefit. I have also found that I enjoy the forums, and even some of the banter! I have learned a lot, and find that many of the questions have been answered before! If I lurk now, it is only because I am learning, and I am having too much of a good time to get too sidetracked, though I am learning also that there are many angles and other ways of expressing ones interest in this game, than grabbing a few cache! The "social" interchange time will come, until then greetings to all! RkyMtnHootOwl