Challenge Caches

Do you like challenge caches? Yes or no?

We placed at least 3 challenges on our NYTPT series

ALLStarz Challenge - Saw in Indiana during Geowoodstock

Birthday Challenge - Saw in Ohio during Midwest Geobash

Well Traveller's Challenge - Saw in Virginia during Hampton Roads

What challenges do you have that are unique?

Meh, but I do not like the new restrictions place on them so I made a challenge cache to spite them: the challenge = find a cache, of course all past finds do count..

Edited by Roman!

I like challenge caches but have not seen too many new and exciting ones listed of late. They seem to be the same ones just listed over and over.

Personally, I do not think the new guidelines are bad, as far as I remember them.

I also do not like challenge caches that make it too challenging for either newbies or seasoned veterans to be able to complete it. Have seen it both ways.

I like, in general. I own a few mini-Jasmer challenges. What I do not like, is when people just make up some totally crazy random stuff. I could give a few examples, but that wouldn't be nice to post links here. A general example would be something like "find caches in 7 different States in the same weekend, and they have to be 5 different cache types". I can see where they're going with that, sort of an "I did this, can you do that?" angle, but it's just ridiculous. I will stick with the standard ones, that have been copied over and over, all over the world.

We placed at least 3 challenges on our NYTPT series

ALLStarz Challenge - Saw in Indiana during Geowoodstock

Birthday Challenge - Saw in Ohio during Midwest Geobash

Well Traveller's Challenge - Saw in Virginia during Hampton Roads

What challenges do you have that are unique?

Don't care for them. I don't cache for the numbers. Can't do terrain over 3.5. I'm not good at puzzle caches. I don't enjoy needle in the haystack evil hides. I don't have the free time to do a cache a day. I don't do micros (unless they've got a lot of fav points). There are very few challenges I can complete. I don't understand why ALRs have been eliminated but challenges were spared. I'd rather see challenge caches open to everyone. If you can find it, you can log it. Then anyone who completes the grid gets some kind of extra reward - their name on a list, or maybe the CO rewards an electronic souvenir of their own making (maybe GS can create them and charge a one time $5 per challenge cache).

I love challenge caches. I am the owner of several also. I think it gives me something to aspire to. I have received tons of compliments at events about others who feel the same way about mine. Don't like 'em? "Ignore" them! (Same way I ignore puzzles since I have no desire or brains to solve most of them) tongue.gif

I do like the way you made "special exemptions" on one. I agree, someone who started in '01 would have a tough time...

- But I don't feel I need a "push" via a challenge to go out and have fun.

Many would require me to find hides I'd never consider otherwise.

"One in every Terrain/difficulty level" is a good example...

I'd have a ball on the 3 terrain and up, but probably never complete the challenge, since I wouldn't do an LPC or guardrail hide to match the lowest-rated (hey, that fits) level.

- Not to mention, the 5 in difficulty would have kept me from even thinking about it in the first place.

Somewhat surprisingly, I like a lot of challenges. It can be fun to play around with GSAK and see what I can spell or determine if I qualify for certain thematic caches -- so most of what I do are closer to accomplishments than challenges. Every once in a while something will interest me and I will go a little bit out of my way to find something (such as a superhero cache) to qualify for a challenge, but I have no interest in doing streaks, driving hundreds of miles or scheduling a vacation to complete a Jasmer challenge, or finding a cache just to find a cache. I see no reason to do something just because there is a challenge. Challenges relating to caching numbers are the least interesting ones.

So the two challenges I have created reflect some of my interests. The Aura Raines Challenge is based upon the famed superhero and topmost pilot from the planet Clarian, Aura Raines (not to be confused with Aura Rhanes from Clarion). It requires people to find 13 caches related to aliens or craft. The Bud Flout Challenge focuses on the equally famous cryptozoologist and explorer (author of BigFoot Does Not Wear Shoes) and requires people to find cryptid-related caches.

Neither of them have attracted much interest, and I did not expect them to. There is only one other challenge in the county where I live and most of the core group of cachers are not likely to seek out qualifying caches. They were a way to continue the adventures of characters I developed for various caches.

Edited by geodarts

I like challenge caches and have placed a few as well. Unfortunately, i didn't start placing until after the new restrictions came into being so some of the ideas i came up with didn't fly with gc.com. I still don't understand why the restrictions were implemented in the first place. Imo, they limit creativity and fun for these types of caches. For the most part, the older grandfathered challenge caches have been the most fun for me.

Some yes, some no.

I'm not interesting in the find count per hour challenges - 100 in day, 1000 in day, 25 in 4 different states - I'm not in hurry to find a bunch fast.

Or milestone challenges, have 500 finds, 2000, 4000, 20,000. This stuff will happen sooner or later if you keep caching, where's the challenge?

For some reason, I don't care about filling in my calendar or streaks either. I do see a lot of cachers who are quite motivated by this. I can't explain why I don't care, but I don't. The people who do can have fun with it.

On the other hand, some stuff appeals quite a lot. The Jasmer, (a find on a cache placed every month since the beginning of caching) appealed me enormously when I first heard of it. Filling in the D/T grid was something I wanted too, though I can't say as I went out of my way much over this, figuring it would happen eventually (I've only got one find in a number of slots, and have lost the full grid with D/T ratings changes by the CO, i find this more interesting and amusing than annoying. Most of high difficulty finds I have are over-rated...)

Some of the oddball challenges - cache with all of the colors of the Olympic flag in the title - was a fun walk through old finds.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

I like, in general. I own a few mini-Jasmer challenges. What I do not like, is when people just make up some totally crazy random stuff. I could give a few examples, but that wouldn't be nice to post links here. A general example would be something like "find caches in 7 different States in the same weekend, and they have to be 5 different cache types". I can see where they're going with that, sort of an "I did this, can you do that?" angle, but it's just ridiculous. I will stick with the standard ones, that have been copied over and over, all over the world.

Have to agree with the Yuck-meister on this one. Both He and Riff are on target.

I like most of them, and I like them to have simple concise requirements. I don't like challenges with restrictive cut off dates, or laundry lists of requirements. That borders on the control freak side of the game. Fortunately we don't have many like that around here.

I think there are six solid universal mother challenges and everything else is a spinoff of those-Jasmer, Fizzy/WRC, 366 day grid, Busy Day types, 100 days in a row, and Alphanumeric (a-z & 0-9). I like that I can use challenges to help me frame a target for a days caching run when I have so much to choose from in a diverse and active caching area. I like that they have encouraged me to step out of my comfort zone and seek caches I might otherwise pass up, or organize a fantastic boat ride with friends to get an elusive target for the Jasmer.

I have mixed feelings about some of the find a useful macro or do some severe analysis of your finds to see if you have the right combination of GC code #'s to fill out the Periodic Table of Elements or the NASCAR lineup from 2006. Same with finding 100 cemetery hides, or 25 tree climbers. But I put less energy into completing those types, so they don't affect me much.

I think there are six solid universal mother challenges and everything else is a spinoff of those-Jasmer, Fizzy/WRC, 366 day grid, Busy Day types, 100 days in a row, and Alphanumeric (a-z & 0-9).
I would also include the various geographical challenges as a basic type: DeLorme Challenges, County Challenges, USGS Quadrangle Challenges, etc.

I like most of them, and I like them to have simple concise requirements. I don't like challenges with restrictive cut off dates, or laundry lists of requirements. That borders on the control freak side of the game.

Yes. That ^^^

Or a sideways way to boast about their own caching statistics and snubbing those who are not so advantaged.

I like challenges quite a bit. They started becoming popular at just the right time for me: they actually challenged me to do something I hadn't done before, like find a cache every day for a month. They aren't quite as much fun now, 2 years later, when it's generally just a question of whether I can find the requirements in my history. But I do enjoy reviewing old finds and fond memories, too.

One particular joy is when I look at a challenge, decide I'll never, ever meet the requirements and forget about it, then stumble on it again a year later and realize I only need a couple more caches to complete what a year before seemed impossible.

I'm fully prepared to not worry about challenges that seem irrational, picking and choosing which I work on. The one thing that kinda bugs me are the challenges that require an excessive number of icons, since it seems like there aren't as many icons around as there used to be.

By the way, I've done a few streak challenges, and had a great time rising the the occasion, but I absolutely understand why some people don't look at them.

I think there are six solid universal mother challenges and everything else is a spinoff of those-Jasmer, Fizzy/WRC, 366 day grid, Busy Day types, 100 days in a row, and Alphanumeric (a-z & 0-9).
I would also include the various geographical challenges as a basic type: DeLorme Challenges, County Challenges, USGS Quadrangle Challenges, etc.

DOH-how could I forget those. I'm pretty sure that moun10bike's WA Delorme was the first challenge ever.

I don't mind challenges but some are just down right dumb. I think it's even more lame if you create a challenge cache and don't even meet the requiremnets yourself.

If there's a GSAK macro for it, or Mygeocachingprofile.com parses it, then it's OK by me. If you just made up some crazy-arsed carp, it'll probably end up on my ignore list.

I know a guy who owns a 2001 mini-Jasmer challenge he doesn't qualify for yet. I know him very well, actually. :ph34r:

Edited by Mr.Yuck

I like the idea of challenge caches. The problem is, I qualify for a fair amount, but I'll probably never find the physical cache (due to geography and organization). I used to keep track of which ones I qualified for, but then the fun fizzled out when I realized there was no payoff with the final.

I think I've found one actual challenge cache, and that was only because I noticed that I drive by it 2-4 times a year. After the 4th time of driving by it, I stopped for a couple minutes and found it. Even though I may drive by others in the future, just to keep track of where they are and when I may be by them in the future years is a lot of work (without a meaningful enough payoff at that distant point in the future).

I've gotten to the point where I would be totally fine (totally) if they went away. I wouldn't mind a souvenir based system, however, where I was awarded for completing a challenge - can't beat instant gratification compared to basically none at all!

Edited by Ambrosia

Speaking locally, the cache pages seem to be in a contest to see which owner can be the most anal with their requirements.

That is pretty much how I feel as well. When I read a challenge cache page and there are 20 steps you have to fulfill before you qualify...forget it. Just too convoluted for no good reason.

I prefer challenge caches that make traveling a priority, rather than something that you look at a graph to see if you qualify. Find X number of caches in X number of states...find X number of waterfall caches, etc. are far more interesting to me than find X number of caches on Feb. 29th type of challenges. Even the ones that seem interesting, like finding a cache that the title begins with every letter of the alphabet, would just take too long for me, personally. By the time I would finish finding those caches, odds are the challenge cache would be archived :(

Speaking locally, the cache pages seem to be in a contest to see which owner can be the most anal with their requirements.

That is pretty much how I feel as well. When I read a challenge cache page and there are 20 steps you have to fulfill before you qualify...forget it. Just too convoluted for no good reason.

I prefer challenge caches that make traveling a priority, rather than something that you look at a graph to see if you qualify. Find X number of caches in X number of states...find X number of waterfall caches, etc. are far more interesting to me than find X number of caches on Feb. 29th type of challenges. Even the ones that seem interesting, like finding a cache that the title begins with every letter of the alphabet, would just take too long for me, personally. By the time I would finish finding those caches, odds are the challenge cache would be archived :(

Seems to me it is a matter of personal preference.

I like challenge caches because it gives me goals to work toward. I think they should have their own icon nested under unknown, similar to how the GS lost and found even is under unknown and how Mega events and cito is nested under events.

While I am on the topic I wish webcam, locationless and earthcache was nested under virtual caches.

I like them...and the wackier, the better, IMO.

A few of mine:

Poker Challenge

Bad Luck Challenge

Texas World Capitals Challenge

BIG XII Challenge

Naw, those aren't whacky. I would not be offended by finding a cache on the campuses of all the teams in a College conference, I think that's a great idea. C'mon here, I'm trying to not define whacky by posting links to specific caches. Just go with my first post to the thread, for an example of whacky. :P

I think the reviewers should be a bit more hard,

so all the compleetly rediculus newer got puplished.

There are too much of this: hey I did this, see all how cool I am,

now can you do the same, then you can log this challenge,

I dont like where this goes, some will always be a bit more crasy

and pass it, log it, and create another with a few even harder or wierder things too handle,

no end to this.. other than drive us all nuts.

I like most challenge caches, but I would prefer to have an "Achievements" system on the website (similiar to Souvenirs) rather than having caches that required achievements before logging them.

I don't own any Challenge Caches (we have probably close to 200 in Florida already), but I am planning to put out a Simple Waymarking Challenge Cache in the future. (Yes, that is allowed by the guidelines. It would require you to log Visits on any 25 Waymarks.)

Edited by Joshism