Handmade trade item, would you object?

TopHatSnake

You compare --

Some tidbit from the Dollar Store, or a (any, really) handmade item;

Something junk imported from <insert your fav trade country>, or something local AND made by caring hands;

Some injected plastic w/lead paint, or something unique and different from any other.

Tongue-in-cheek, but you get the idea.... :lol:

Including your geo-handle makes it all the better!

Absolutely. They would almost be classified as a signature item if you did it yourself with the same theme.

I would trade if they were well made enough to want to keep. Be sure to put them in plastic bags so they are separated from typical swag.

Also add a creative note saying "made by...."

Edited by jellis

Would be fine with me. I agree, it would be good to include information on who made it and the story behind it. Otherwise someone might not realize the value of it.

The only time I would object is if you stated you hunted the deer only for its antlers and threw the meat away, but I think that's unlikely.

I have a TB out there in the wild with a story about the antler attached to it. :D

I very rarely trade swag these days but i do like to collect signature items, especially homemade, when i come across them. Your antler keychains would be a nice prize to add to my collection. Like others have said, it's always cool when there's info about who made it on them. You're not thinking about dropping a few of these in a cache or two down my way, are ya? B)

Wow! Thanks for all the positivity, y'all! Also, thanks to the Possum Hunters, my trusty carhartt has a new zipper pull with a story. Anti-hunters of any sort complaining about this were my primary concern, but you guys have pretty well put that to rest.

I'm uncertain if I'd object or not. Please immediately send me some of these items, and I will then examine them and make my decision.

:anibad:

I've been making little discs out of #6 plastic containers. I have been drawing flowers and such, or putting cute little inspirational quotes on them with sharpies. You have to sand the surface to rough it up so the pens don't smear. I bake them at 350F (watch them close because they only take about 1 min tops to bake). I also put the name of the town and province I live in and the year they were made. It is fun to think that maybe they are getting a little travel in different geocaches. The kids and I have been having such a blast making them, and hope that someone smiles when they find them.

Edited by Mountaindani

One of my favorite swag item found is a smooth rock, painted pink, with the year and "geocaching" painted in different colors. I have no idea who made it, but it was fun to find - it meant that somebody had taken the time to paint, let it dry, paint a different color,let it dry, several times. Someone actually put some effort into making something different.

I treasure it.

I would prefer a handmade/ homemade trade item. I see so much junk in the caches I am finding. I normally just sign the log book now, however if I do take something - or if it was a good cache I will trade or just drop in some coins I have left over from my travels in Indonesia.

Speaking of which is that a good idea to drop money from other countries??? I will be traveling to Mexico in April and plan on bring small coins back with me to drop in caches...

How would you feel about Magnetic bookmarks, matchbook notepads, bracelets made out of string/hemp?
I like them.

Lone R, you are the inspiration for me to create some handmade swag. I found your blog via Pinterest and

I didn't know what to do, but one of my first moments of clarity I have been tying some creative knots. A

small baggie and an ID card labeling it as available swag and I think I am good to go. Small Key fobs.

Inexpensive for me to make but decent enough to consider it a "trade up" IMHO. :unsure:

For the OP, a handmade key chain would be cool. Antlers and all. :D

I object to them being made of deer antlers. Bison horn would be much nicer looking :P

Seriously, though, it sounds like a great idea, if you have the time and inclination!

I am jealous I didn't think of that joke.

In all seriousness, as far as deer antler keychains, I would definitely trade for one! I love the idea! Count me a yes vote.

I recently made a batch of deer antler keychains, with the intention of using them as trade items, and then started wondering if some people might find this objectionable. What would y'all think if you found one of these in a cache?

I wouldn't object but I would leave it for the next cacher. Just like other stuff. Go for it.

Love the antler keychain idea.

Wish we could do some handmade swag. The problem is that we usually cache with our toddler and he usually wants whatever cheapo toy he finds... Or necklaces. He's been wearing a homemade bead necklace for a week now.

We aren't rolling in money and it seems silly to constantly trade handmade swag for a fifty cent toy. We do try to leav neat things for adults in there (I got two dozen waterproof iPhone cases from a business conference that we traded out), but it's not that special. if anyone has any ideas for decent handmade items that aren't too pricy, I'd love to hear them.

Love the antler keychain idea.

Wish we could do some handmade swag. The problem is that we usually cache with our toddler and he usually wants whatever cheapo toy he finds... Or necklaces. He's been wearing a homemade bead necklace for a week now.

We aren't rolling in money and it seems silly to constantly trade handmade swag for a fifty cent toy. We do try to leav neat things for adults in there (I got two dozen waterproof iPhone cases from a business conference that we traded out), but it's not that special. if anyone has any ideas for decent handmade items that aren't too pricy, I'd love to hear them.

all i did was get a wood burning kit $20 and some wooden craft shapes and start burning away, we did our name, designs and clever sayaings odd cool weird stuff all family appropriate

Edited by the sasqwatches

I make signature tokens out of polymer clay (picture below). You can get an assortment of 30 different colors for about $20, and it goes a long way. You could just as easily use that clay to make little figurines or whatever strikes your fancy. I've even used it to make evil little cache containers by baking it around a bison tube. I only trade for others' signature items, but when my son is with me, I make sure to have a few cheapie items on hand to trade. For those, I go to the dollar store or the party favors section of whatever big box store is closest. Hope this helps!

8226389828_7c53355cf2_c.jpg