I don't want a leap day souvenir

Would it be ok if I log the caches I found today with a different date?

Either on purpose or by accident, I've seen people log their find on the wrong date. It doesn't really seem to matter to anybody in most cases other than yourself, so go for it. :lol:

I think you will only get the souvenir if you log them today. Wait until tomorrow and log them with todays date. I am not sure if that is the case, but that is how I took the note from GS about it.

Don't fool yourself. You can create an account today and backlog a 10/10/10 find and get that souvenir. :laughing: This is just a game where you can only cheat yourself. :anitongue:

Good LORD MANNNNN! I smelled angst in the title of this thread and came here to get my daily smug superior feeling and what do I get?

Hopefully, as the posts progress, someone who hasn't read the thread will provide some real entertainment. :anibad::laughing:

Geocache Maintenance

Owner is responsible for geocache page upkeep. As the owner of your geocache listing, your responsibility includes quality control of all posts to the cache page. Delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off-topic or otherwise inappropriate.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=307#maint

A counterfeit is an imitation that is made with the intent to deceptively represent its content or origins. The word counterfeit most frequently describes forged money or documents

http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Counterfeit

If your date of the online log didn't match the timestamp of the game camera that I set up nearby, I would

DELETE, DELETE, DELETE. :mad::mad::mad:

:rolleyes:

I was being half-serious. Aside from my personal view that souvenirs are hokey and that I don't need some silly tab with silly pictures on my profile to motivate me to geocache, I find the souvenirs for caching on some "special" date distasteful.

With the much ballyhooed change to Google's privacy policy there have been a lot of references to how Google has come to view its users as its product instead. While I wouldn't put Groundspeak in Google's class yet, it is clear that the they market their position as biggest geocaching site by far to attract advertising revenue. They seem intent on retaining this position and the souvenirs are no more than a way to bump the numbers of users temporarily to gain some advantage, much like the local news running provocative stories during ratings sweeps week.

I have no doubt that some will say Groundspeak is only trying to create a camaraderie or sense of community among geocachers. But I don't buy this. There is already quite a sense of camaraderie without having to look at someone's souvenirs. What these special days do is work in the opposite direction where someone can glance at your profile and see you didn't find any caches on leap day. What's wrong with you? Aren't you part of the geocacher community? No, the only rationale explanation for having these souvenirs is for Groundspeak's marketing.

I, for one, do not like being seen a product, by Google, Groundspeak, or any other internet site I use. However, I realize that this is the nature of the beast. We would not have many of our favorite websites if it weren't for the ability to monetize the value of their users. So it is with reluctance that I will log my finds on 2/29/12 and add one more user to the number of accounts that geocached that day. I hope in return that my premium membership will not go up and that Groundspeak will fix the HORRID maps.

Edited by tozainamboku

I think you will only get the souvenir if you log them today. Wait until tomorrow and log them with todays date. I am not sure if that is the case, but that is how I took the note from GS about it.

Don't fool yourself. You can create an account today and backlog a 10/10/10 find and get that souvenir. :laughing: This is just a game where you can only cheat yourself. :anitongue:

Neither of these are true. There's only a limited period of time in which you can log a cache and receive the associated date-specific souvenir. For previous such days, the period has been 2 weeks. I was traveling on the International Geocaching Day last year, but made a find that day. I wasn't able to log it online until I got home over 2 weeks later, and didn't get the souvenir automatically. I had to email Groundspeak to get it manually applied.

Now, if toz really doesn't want the souvenir, all he has to do is log his caches with the wrong date, then edit the logs and change the date back to Feb 29. The souvenir won't get applied in this scenario. Either that, or just wait a couple of weeks before logging them.

What I want to know is how Knowschad got access to Toz's account :ph34r:

I told Toz he should really choose a better password than "Geocaching" :blink:

That's why he changed it to "icecream."

Actually, it was "puritan" that did the trick.

Not that word again! Everytime I see that word, I think of TOZ!

I was being half-serious. Aside from my personal view that souvenirs are hokey and that I don't need some silly tab with silly pictures on my profile to motivate me to geocache, I find the souvenirs for caching on some "special" date distasteful.

I was being half-serious. Aside from my personal view that total find counts are irrelevant and that I don't need some silly number with silly milestones on my profile to motivate me to geocache, I find the way people tend to treat high finds for caching with a more elitist stature distasteful.

You know what?

It got me out of the house to find a cache on a day when I otherwise probably wouldn't have.

That's a bad thing?

Just don't look at them.

Edited by Markwell

With the much ballyhooed change to Google's privacy policy there have been a lot of references to how Google has come to view its users as its product instead. While I wouldn't put Groundspeak in Google's class yet, it is clear that the they market their position as biggest geocaching site by far to attract advertising revenue. They seem intent on retaining this position and the souvenirs are no more than a way to bump the numbers of users temporarily to gain some advantage, much like the local news running provocative stories during ratings sweeps week.

I have no doubt that some will say Groundspeak is only trying to create a camaraderie or sense of community among geocachers. But I don't buy this. There is already quite a sense of camaraderie without having to look at someone's souvenirs. What these special days do is work in the opposite direction where someone can glance at your profile and see you didn't find any caches on leap day. What's wrong with you? Aren't you part of the geocacher community? No, the only rationale explanation for having these souvenirs is for Groundspeak's marketing.

I, for one, do not like being seen a product, by Google, Groundspeak, or any other internet site I use. However, I realize that this is the nature of the beast. We would not have many of our favorite websites if it weren't for the ability to monetize the value of their users. So it is with reluctance that I will log my finds on 2/29/12 and add one more user to the number of accounts that geocached that day. I hope in return that my premium membership will not go up and that Groundspeak will fix the HORRID maps.

First-world problems...

Edited by Castle Mischief

I don't want soft serve ice cream today. Can I have a hand scooped cone tomorrow?

:laughing:

Sorry I am late to the party as I was busy yesterday, attending events and finding cache because it was FUN, not for some silly image that was added to my account.

But I have to say that I am shocked, shocked I tell you that this thread ran for more than 20 posts before there was an ice cream reference.

Good grief. There is so much negativity and overanalyzing in this post. What is wrong with wanting to set a record? Not everything has to do with marketing or corporate greed. Geocaching is supposed to be FUN.

AND I think the new maps are GREAT!!

If you're not having fun, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

I guess if a person doesn't want to be part of the promotion at the ice cream store, they could just skip eating ice cream that day and avoid the issue entirely?

That would've made your point better, I think. Of course, that would involve skipping ice cream - and where's the fun in that? Or I guess you could've hidden a cache, which would've been like making your own ice cream, right?

Just kidding. :)

I will admit that I ran out for the souvenir. I don't usually care about stuff like that, but it was a beautiful day yesterday, and this just seemed harmless and fun to me. I can appreciate your concerns though.

What I want to know is how Knowschad got access to Toz's account :ph34r:

I told Toz he should really choose a better password than "Geocaching" :blink:

That's why he changed it to "icecream."

Actually, it was "puritan" that did the trick.

I'm going to bet it is puritan, with a few random numbers after it.

Look at you first 31 posters. You didn't think he was serious. :lol:

Fair enough.