Geocaching Map Enhancements

jri

Ahhh..... GOOD :laughing: Layers button & OS Maps working fine again now. Thanks to jri for the hard work in getting the scripts altered for the latest round of Geocaching.com mapping improvements. Just cant wait till they improve it yet again and put us all back to SQUARE ONE. :lol::blink::grin:

Arrrgggh! What am I missing (something obvious probably).

I use Chrome on my laptop (running windows Vista) and managed to add the updated extension, DESPITE Chrome's insistence that I :

2. Download the extension file from the website and save it to your computer.
  3. Click the wrench icon on the browser toolbar.
  4. Select Tools > Extensions.
  5. Locate the extension file on your computer and drag the file onto the Extensions page.
  6. Review the list of permissions in the dialog that appears. If you would like to proceed, click Install.

So far so good

However, when I come to install it on my big PC (also using Chrome but running Windows 7), I can't see the option to simply "Download the extension file from JRI's website so I can do the remaining steps.

I'm missing something somewhere, but the only option that the userscripts site seems to offer is "Install". Well I can't "Install", coz Chrome won't let me. I just want to "Download" but can't see that option.

Help! :)

Heheh! If it WAS a work system, it would probably be fine! I actually house-share (and computer-share) with a self-emplyed computer-fixer and major techie who gives me the 3rd degree if I download ANYTHING!

I've learned the hard way that I have to investigate anything I want to install otherwise I get no end of grief! Sheesh! ;)

Heheh! If it WAS a work system, it would probably be fine! I actually house-share (and computer-share) with a self-emplyed computer-fixer and major techie who gives me the 3rd degree if I download ANYTHING!

Fwiw then, the method Opera uses is really, really straightforward - simply involves saving the js file in a specified folder and pointing Opera at it. No need for any other downloady things. Your techie might find that method easier to swallow.

Fwiw then, the method Opera uses is really, really straightforward - simply involves saving the js file in a specified folder and pointing Opera at it. No need for any other downloady things. Your techie might find that method easier to swallow.

Thanks Mr/Ms Square. He's also very anti Opera so I wouldn't be allowed to go anywhere near that with even a 10-ft clown pole. However, it occurs, ... if Opera allows a download (rather than an install), does firefox? (I'm allowed to use firefox). ;)

Arrrgggh! What am I missing (something obvious probably).

I use Chrome on my laptop (running windows Vista) and managed to add the updated extension, DESPITE Chrome's insistence that I :

2. Download the extension file from the website and save it to your computer.
  3. Click the wrench icon on the browser toolbar.
  4. Select Tools > Extensions.
  5. Locate the extension file on your computer and drag the file onto the Extensions page.
  6. Review the list of permissions in the dialog that appears. If you would like to proceed, click Install.

So far so good

However, when I come to install it on my big PC (also using Chrome but running Windows 7), I can't see the option to simply "Download the extension file from JRI's website so I can do the remaining steps.

I'm missing something somewhere, but the only option that the userscripts site seems to offer is "Install". Well I can't "Install", coz Chrome won't let me. I just want to "Download" but can't see that option.

Help! :)

In Chrome, you need to right-click on the Install button and choose the Save Link As option, or whatever it is that Chrome calls it (the Install button is just a link in disguise). That should let you save it, then you can use the instructions above.

Thanks Mr/Ms Square. He's also very anti Opera so I wouldn't be allowed to go anywhere near that with even a 10-ft clown pole. However, it occurs, ... if Opera allows a download (rather than an install), does firefox? (I'm allowed to use firefox). ;)

Anti-Opera techie? But likes the increasingly bloated Firefox? Blimey... :-)

Anyway, Firefox needs Greasemonkey I think doesn't it? As an add on/extension probably - and I seem to recall needing to redo the extension at one point when the browser updated itself. So he might dislike that as well.

Is anyone else having problems printing the OS maps? Two of my friends asked for help and when I tried to print mine all I got was a fragment of the map at the top of the print preview page. Before the GC upgrade it printed fine.

Are you using a Mac by any chance? There's a thread running in the Website Bug Reports forum about not being able to print maps. Looks like Groundspeak are hoping to fix it in about a fortnight.

Is anyone else having problems printing the OS maps? Two of my friends asked for help and when I tried to print mine all I got was a fragment of the map at the top of the print preview page. Before the GC upgrade it printed fine.

Are you using a Mac by any chance? There's a thread running in the Website Bug Reports forum about not being able to print maps. Looks like Groundspeak are hoping to fix it in about a fortnight.

A screenshot works just fine - print from Preview or drop it into whatever you need.

I had the GME, but now I aint got em! This is what I have....and have not...

On any cache page, I click on "view larger map" and then on the map layer for OS, it just has a blank screen. When I am on the list of nearest caches and click "map this location", I get the layers list in the top right hand corner for 1 second then it disappears. No map choice at all.

Was gonna just re-install the whole thing, so went to the GME website, clicked on the green "install" button, and a pop up says "Apps, extensions and user scripts cannot be added from this website" with an "OK" button next to it.....which, when pressed takes me to a Chrome page describing why.....but that's way above my head!

What am I doing wrong? It worked the first time when I originally put it on the laptop!

Any help appreciated!

On any cache page, I click on "view larger map" and then on the map layer for OS, it just has a blank screen. When I am on the list of nearest caches and click "map this location", I get the layers list in the top right hand corner for 1 second then it disappears. No map choice at all.

Was gonna just re-install the whole thing, so went to the GME website, clicked on the green "install" button, and a pop up says "Apps, extensions and user scripts cannot be added from this website" with an "OK" button next to it.....which, when pressed takes me to a Chrome page describing why.....but that's way above my head!

What am I doing wrong? It worked the first time when I originally put it on the laptop!

Any help appreciated!

Since the security restrictions changed in Chrome, you need to follow these instructions to install GME.

Any help appreciated!

Since the security restrictions changed in Chrome, you need to follow these instructions to install GME.

Thanks for that JRI, will give it a go!

v 0.6.6 does not work for me...

Updated this morning on switch on and while I see a whole shed load of new maps listed on the right, OS maps and Bing Aerial are not there and the setting icons (and others) are missing from the lower left. Am I doing something wrong?

Steve

Updated this morning on switch on and while I see a whole shed load of new maps listed on the right, OS maps and Bing Aerial are not there and the setting icons (and others) are missing from the lower left. Am I doing something wrong?

Yup :P

Well, something's going wrong anyway. From what you describe, it sounds like GME isn't loading at all - those extra maps have been on the basic site since the Groundspeak update about a month ago. The simplest cause could be that you accidentally switched off Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey by clicking on its icon. Otherwise, try restarting your web browser, and reinstalling GME from http://geo.inge.org.uk/gme.htm#install

If that doesn't work, you'll need to post more details: what web browser are you using? Do you see any of GME's modifications to the web pages? Are there any errors in your browser console?

Thanks for the note - I have re-installed the script on Chrome using Tampermonkey (all of which has been working fine for sometime) with no improvement. I had never seen the list of maps that now appears before. I have re-started the browser and that does not cure it. I do see the little icon on Tampermonkey that tells me two scripts are applicable to the geocaching webpages (send2geo and GME). I am ready to try any suggestions...

Thanks for the note - I have re-installed the script on Chrome using Tampermonkey (all of which has been working fine for sometime) with no improvement. I had never seen the list of maps that now appears before. I have re-started the browser and that does not cure it. I do see the little icon on Tampermonkey that tells me two scripts are applicable to the geocaching webpages (send2geo and GME). I am ready to try any suggestions...

I wasn't seeing any problems until I updated to the latest version of Chrome this afternoon. It turns out that Google have fixed a security bug in Chrome, and in doing so broke Tampermonkey. The morbidly interested can read about the gory details here and here. I've now updated the script to v.0.6.6.1, having put in a small tweak to avoid triggering the problem.

The upshot is, people like me who hadn't updated Chrome yet wouldn't have noticed a difference, and people who install GME as a native Chrome extension (rather than using Tampermonkey) shouldn't have noticed either. The issue only occurs with Tampermonkey and Chrome v27 and up. While there are complicated workarounds involving tweaking Tampermonkey's settings, the easy solution for everyone should be to install GME v0.6.6.1.

Fingers crossed it works!

Well, I suppose I should announce the latest version of GME, v0.6.6 v0.6.6.1

Mainly this was going to be a minor bugfix release, to fix some problems with GPX handling pointed out by G4UYG and stretch.kerr, and to try to restore some of the IE functionality that got broken by the site update last month. However, I've also had to add in a fix to keep cache labelling working after the 14th May site update (the "performance improvements" mentioned here), and work around the Chrome issue described in the posts above.

Somewhere along the way I got sucked into adding some more features: a new map server type (to support an Austrian map for ErichSt), and some improved integration for Android. It's the last bit I'm most excited about. When you use the i tool, the popup should now include the coordinates as a geo: link. When you click on the link, a browser should be able to interpret the coordinates and do something interesting with them. In Opera Mobile on Android, the browser pops up a choice of apps to use to view that point. On my tablet, I get a choice of Google Maps, Locus Maps, or the radar navigation widget from the GPS Status app.

Unfortunately, geo: links don't seem to be widely supported by desktop browsers yet, and Opera Mobile is the only full-featured Android browser I know of that supports userscripts. I am tempted to write a script to enable geo: support in other browsers, and I've gone a bit further for Android too: when GME detects an Android or mobile browser, it should include links to start the Google Navigation and Google Streetview apps directly too, instead of just going to the GMaps website. This is a bit experimental, so any feedback is welcome!

Well, I suppose I should announce the latest version of GME, v0.6.6 v0.6.6.1

Mainly this was going to be a minor bugfix release, to fix some problems with GPX handling pointed out by G4UYG and stretch.kerr, and to try to restore some of the IE functionality that got broken by the site update last month. However, I've also had to add in a fix to keep cache labelling working after the 14th May site update (the "performance improvements" mentioned here), and work around the Chrome issue described in the posts above.

Somewhere along the way I got sucked into adding some more features: a new map server type (to support an Austrian map for ErichSt), and some improved integration for Android. It's the last bit I'm most excited about. When you use the i tool, the popup should now include the coordinates as a geo: link. When you click on the link, a browser should be able to interpret the coordinates and do something interesting with them. In Opera Mobile on Android, the browser pops up a choice of apps to use to view that point. On my tablet, I get a choice of Google Maps, Locus Maps, or the radar navigation widget from the GPS Status app.

Unfortunately, geo: links don't seem to be widely supported by desktop browsers yet, and Opera Mobile is the only full-featured Android browser I know of that supports userscripts. I am tempted to write a script to enable geo: support in other browsers, and I've gone a bit further for Android too: when GME detects an Android or mobile browser, it should include links to start the Google Navigation and Google Streetview apps directly too, instead of just going to the GMaps website. This is a bit experimental, so any feedback is welcome!

All fixed for me now I have updated to 0.6.6.1 - Many thanks for acting so fast.

Having realised that GME should work on Opera Mobile, I thought I'd see whether I could get it to work using OM on my clunky old Symbian-powered Nokia 5800 phone (well, I like it anyway !). I've seen the instructions here, have created the folder and added the settings in OM. But I'm struggling with the apparently simple step of saving a copy of the script file in the folder. When I do this in Chrome, it's simple: I right click the green button and "Save link as ..."; but in OM on my phone I have no right-click option, and clicking the green button just opens a new window with the script itself in it. Any ideas how, in OM, I download the file to the phone ? I guess I can probably save it on my PC and then connect the phone by cable to transfer the file across, but that seems a bit long-winded.

This might be a really daft question, but I've exhausted my limited knowledge here ! Thanks in advance.

But I'm struggling with the apparently simple step of saving a copy of the script file in the folder. When I do this in Chrome, it's simple: I right click the green button and "Save link as ..."; but in OM on my phone I have no right-click option, and clicking the green button just opens a new window with the script itself in it. Any ideas how, in OM, I download the file to the phone ?

I'm lousy with smart phones, but...

Can you create a text file on your phone? And can you save that in a set place with a set name? If you can then you can simply copy the contents of the javascript file that opens up when you press the green button into the text file and save it - the name will, presumably, need to be a js file type - not sure if it needs to be 109145.user.js or not.

On my desktop I only use the script with Opera. Every time I need to update it I can simply copy the code from the web and paste it on top of the code I already have and save it again. Makes life very, very simple indeed - so massive thanks go to jri for making something work really easily in Opera!! :-)

But I'm struggling with the apparently simple step of saving a copy of the script file in the folder. When I do this in Chrome, it's simple: I right click the green button and "Save link as ..."; but in OM on my phone I have no right-click option, and clicking the green button just opens a new window with the script itself in it. Any ideas how, in OM, I download the file to the phone ?

I'm lousy with smart phones, but...

Can you create a text file on your phone? And can you save that in a set place with a set name? If you can then you can simply copy the contents of the javascript file that opens up when you press the green button into the text file and save it - the name will, presumably, need to be a js file type - not sure if it needs to be 109145.user.js or not.

On my desktop I only use the script with Opera. Every time I need to update it I can simply copy the code from the web and paste it on top of the code I already have and save it again. Makes life very, very simple indeed - so massive thanks go to jri for making something work really easily in Opera!! :-)

I'm using Opera on Android rather than Symbian, but I couldn't see an easy way to save the file directly either. However, you don't have to do the download in Opera itself, so Blue Square Thing's copy'n'paste technique may well work, as should using the cable. I use the Android browser to save the file (long-press on the Install button, then "Save link"), then ES File Explorer to move it to the right place. For Opera, the important thing is that the file is saved in the folder that you've set in Opera:config, and the filename ends in .user.js (the first part of the name can be anything you like).

Also, check you've got Opera Mobile rather than Opera Mini. The Mini version doesn't support userscripts.

Edited by jri

Thanks for the ideas folks, but this is looking to be more trouble than it's worth. I got the script file transferred to the phone by USB cable, but couldn't get any maps to display when I browsed to GC.com in Opera Mobile (definitely got that rather than Mini). However I don't think the problem's with GME, because when I removed all the settings back to vanilla I still couldn't get any maps to display, and the GC.com website looks a bit clunky in the browser anyway. I've had OM quite a while (version 10), so I'm guessing that there's now an issue between the GC.com site and my version of OM; tried to upgrade to the latest version, only to find that it seems they've discontinued it and if I want to use Opera now I can only get Mini. So good luck with Android, and if I ever switch to that I'll give it another go !

Apologies if this has already been mentioned here, but when I click on the link for the MAGIC map from the OS map page using GME, I now get a 'page not found' error. Is anyone else having the same problem? I heard that the MAGIC maps had changed so maybe the link isn't working anymore?

Apologies if this has already been mentioned here, but when I click on the link for the MAGIC map from the OS map page using GME, I now get a 'page not found' error. Is anyone else having the same problem? I heard that the MAGIC maps had changed so maybe the link isn't working anymore?

It looks like DEFRA have totally updated the MAGIC site as of 22 May - see their news page. I've just had a quick look and it seems like I should be able to make GME link nicely to MAGIC again, but it will take a little playing around to get the format of the new link right.

Anyone have a view on which layers should be displayed in MAGIC when you follow the link from GME? I've not checked to see whether the selection available is the same as in the old version of the site.

I've updated GME to v0.6.6.2 to fix the link to the MAGIC site. I pinched the layer selection from Gary & Jane's Magic MapIt site, but next time I do an update, I'll check the wiki to see what the reviewers are using.

At the moment, the new MAGIC Map looks a lot better than the old one, but still has a few bugs. When you click through from GME, you get an error message about an Aerial Photography layer, and the map itself may either be blank or show an outline of the UK superimposed on top. This seems to correct itself if you pan or zoom slightly. The map also looks rather squashed along the north-south axis when viewed in WGS84 mode. You can correct it by switching to OSGB, although remember to switch back if you need to copy down coordinates to use on a GPS (the same point has a different lat & lon in each system).

Aye, the layers which show the areas where specific permission details are required. Inc, above, plus nature reserves and Woodland Trust. It's really useful being able to access Magic so easily when thinking of hiding caches. Thanks very much for maintaining GME, it's really amazingly useful, helpful and adds so much to planning sessions!

Thanks! :)

At the moment, the new MAGIC Map looks a lot better than the old one, but still has a few bugs. When you click through from GME, you get an error message about an Aerial Photography layer...

That seems to be a general problem with the MAGIC map at present - I just got into it via an SSSI designation page on Natural England's web stuff and it gave me the same error message. I imagine it's an issue at the server end.

I would agree that the MAGIC map is a darned site easier to use and looks lots better than it did previously btw.

Thanks for the info on Opera mobile....works a treat.

I've not tried it on OM14 yet. Does it work with a different rendering engine?

Don't like 14 due to the way it handles bookmarks and Link doesn't work :(

I'd not come across Opera Mobile 14 yet, so I just downloaded a copy to try. The good news is that GME pretty much works in OM14 (in fact, at least one OM12 bug is fixed). The bad news is that using the script isn't exactly user-friendly in the current beta version.

OM14 doesn't currently have support for extensions or userscripts, so the only way to get GME working is to paste a line of javascript into the address bar on every page you want to use it with. Not exactly convenient. Once running, it's rather hard to use the GME icons, as the bottom edge of the map is pushed off the bottom of the display. This seems to be because the address bar is permanently displayed at the top of the screen. That could be worked around relatively easily, but looks like a bug in Opera. The other problem I had was in using the i menu: Opera seemed to prefer some links to others, making it very difficult to click on what you want. Again, I might be able to work around that. The final issue was that OM14 seems a bit buggy in how it displays new tabs.

I'm not going to be making any changes to GME to support OM14 just yet, not until it looks a bit more mature. However, once I've had a chance to play a little more, I will post instructions for how to make GME work in browsers without userscript support, by the page-by-page manual method... It ought to work in the Android browser, Chrome Mobile, IE, and possibly more.

Hi, not sure if this is a new topic.

I have managed to get the OSmaps option back (many thanks for all your help) but recently when I click on View Larger Map on a cache page it does that, but then I can't move back to the original page after viewing the map.

If I view a number of caches on the map, when I go to the history it displays the same number of Google Map visits as caches viewed but clicking on the back arrow does nothing.

I have Tampermonkey installed and Vista Home SP2 and Chrome Version 27.0.1453.94 m.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I've just renewed my premium membership and the unwarranted hike in subscription and this poor systm delivery is very galling.

I have managed to get the OSmaps option back (many thanks for all your help) but recently when I click on View Larger Map on a cache page it does that, but then I can't move back to the original page after viewing the map.

If I view a number of caches on the map, when I go to the history it displays the same number of Google Map visits as caches viewed but clicking on the back arrow does nothing.

I have Tampermonkey installed and Vista Home SP2 and Chrome Version 27.0.1453.94 m.

I think that this is just normal behavior for the website. When you click "View Larger Map" on a cache page, the map opens in a new browser tab. Because it is a new tab, it doesn't have its own back history, and the back button doesn't work. However, the tab with the cache page should stay open, so if you just close the new map tab, you should get back to where you were.

I could change GME to make the larger map open in the same tab, but I think it's more helpful to be able to have both the description and the map open at the same time, so you can flick back and forth between them. If you really want to open the map in the same tab (so the back button works), drag'n'drop the 'View Larger Map' link into the address bar.

I'm not going to be making any changes to GME to support OM14 just yet, not until it looks a bit more mature

Very wise. Reading about the indignation of OM users who have tried 14 there (hopefully!) going to be quite a few changes....

Did something break with site integration recently or have I messed something up unwittingly?

I currently get a long list of maps:

OpenStreetMap Default OpenStreetMap German Style OpenStreetMap Black and White Thunderforest OpenCycleMap Thunderforest Transport Thunderforest Landscape MapQuest OSM MapQuest Aerial Stamen Toner Stamen Terrain Stamen Watercolor Esri WorldStreetMap Esri DeLorme Esri WorldTopoMap Esri WorldImagery Esri OceanBasemap Esri NatGeoWorldMap OpenStreetMap Hike and Bike Google Maps Google Maps Satellite Google Maps Hybrid

which doesn't bear any relation to my GME prefs - in particular seem to have lost OS.

Haven't investigated to see if I can see what's going on yet - will try later.

Did something break with site integration recently or have I messed something up unwittingly?

I currently get a long list of maps:

<snip>

which doesn't bear any relation to my GME prefs - in particular seem to have lost OS.

Haven't investigated to see if I can see what's going on yet - will try later.

It's still working for me, so I guess you might have accidentally disabled GME somehow. Is Greasemonkey or Tampermonkey still enabled? What you've got is now the default list of maps supplied by the website. They changed the list a while back but I didn't bother incorporating it into GME as none of them looked especially helpful.

Ah, should have investigated more first clearly...

Seems to be a change to GC little helper that I failed to notice - it's even in the changelog:

New: GClh now overwrites the layercontrol of GC Map Enhancements (can be disabled in settings)

(No, you're right about the list - the additional options didn't interest me much)

Thanks for the reply and again for the good work with the script

Edited by aB5dEglYeS5P

Very often if I click on the "View larger map" link in a listing, with GME enabled, the correct location is being displayed for a fraction of a second and then the map moves to some other unrelated location (one that I've had been viewing some time before).

Here's an example what happens for me:

The link "View larger map" points to

http://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx?lat=48.198883&lng=16.5355&pop=true

After a fraction of a second this link automatically redirects to

http://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx?lat=48.198883&lng=16.5355&pop=true#?ll=47.99061,16.01678&z=14

Am I doing something wrong?

Very often if I click on the "View larger map" link in a listing, with GME enabled, the correct location is being displayed for a fraction of a second and then the map moves to some other unrelated location (one that I've had been viewing some time before).

http://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx?lat=48.198883&lng=16.5355&pop=true

http://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx?lat=48.198883&lng=16.5355&pop=true#?ll=47.99061,16.01678&z=14

That's odd, when I click on both those links, with GME enabled they both show the same map just South of my home in England. When clicking with GME disabled they show different locations in Austria.

But I've never experienced anything like that when clicking on maps myself and I have GME enabled permanently.

http://www.geocachin...6.5355&pop=true

http://www.geocachin...1,16.01678&z=14

I think that probably counts as a bug :o

What happens is this: when you load a cache page that has waypoints or corrected coordinates, GME stores the details of those waypoints, and adds "&pop=true" to the View Larger Map link. When GME runs on the map page, if the URI contains "&pop=true", it retrieves the stored coordinates and displays them on the map. It then pans the map to the centre of the group of coordinates. Since the last Groundspeak update to the maps, panning the map updates the URI, which explains why you see the link update.

Where it seems to be going wrong is that if you open a second map page before following the View Larger Map link, the waypoint details get overwritten, and the map page shows that cache instead.

I'll have a think about how I can improve this behaviour in the next version. It will be a little tricky to solve, as it's difficult to use scripts to communicate between open web pages, but I'll see what I can do.

when you load a cache page that has waypoints or corrected coordinates, GME stores the details of those waypoints, and adds "&pop=true" to the View Larger Map link

Instead of only adding "&pop=true" would adding all necessary information to the link, help for any later click?