Geocaching Map Enhancements

jri

Hi,

Is there a way of getting a 160m proximity circle to show on the map so you know your cache is going to be far enough from other caches in the area?

yes, click the "i" icon on the toolbar at the bottom.

Click somewhere on the map.

When the popup box appears click Drop Marker

Accept the default distance (0.1 miles or 0.161km).

Job Done.

Ok I don't seem to have an 'I' icon to click on with the Geocaching map. I have the LHS side bar which you can search for certain cache types and do a PQ, top right has the map positioning toggle and zoom bar, plus the box to change map to satellite and a scale bar bottom right. Is it because I'm using a Mac?

Ok I don't seem to have an 'I' icon to click on with the Geocaching map. I have the LHS side bar which you can search for certain cache types and do a PQ, top right has the map positioning toggle and zoom bar, plus the box to change map to satellite and a scale bar bottom right. Is it because I'm using a Mac?

the "i" should be below the map scale bar, bottom left of the map

if it Isn't there, have you got the latest update for the map?

this is the PC lay out sorry don,t know if the mac is different.

Edited by martin&lindabryn

the "i" should be below the map scale bar, bottom left of the map

if it Isn't there, have you got the latest update for the map?

this is the PC lay out sorry don,t know if the mac is different.

Ok the map scale bar is definitely on the bottom right so the layout must be different for mac! How do you know if you have the latest map? I just click on the Play then View geocache map from the menu bar. Cheers

Right. I think I have cracked it.

I've uploaded Geocaching Map Enhancements v0.6.5 to userscripts.org

The new version should fix the problems that were caused when Groundspeak made the 17th April update to Geocaching.com. OS maps should work again, and the configuration system has been totally re-vamped. It should now look better, and can also be accessed via a link on the Profile menu from most pages on the site.

The upside of Groundspeak's upgrade to a more recent version Leaflet Maps is that I've been able to make various other under-the-hood improvements to the script code, and remove some of the bug-fixes and workarounds that were there before. That said, I've not done too much testing (none on Internet Explorer), so do let me know if you come across bugs.

With this update, there should be no need for any awkward manual editing of scripts. I've also disabled the link to the work-in-progress version - just go for the new official version on userscripts.org. As always, the full feature list, installation instructions, change log, etc. is available at http://geo.inge.org.uk/gme.htm

above is the latest update link. try this.

other wise you will need someone who Knows about the Mac

hope this helps

Thank you, thank you! That worked! :D :D

And after i'd kicked the old bugger into action (the old PC not the hubby!) Found the map was the same regardless of the operating system until I did what you said above.

Now I know that the cache I've placed is right in the overlap of 2 caches, 20m too close to one and about 30m too close to the other. I think I'll make it an offset multi if it gets rejected, and place the cache out of the "zone".

Thanks to all of you for helping, I should've looked here earlier for help rather than get frustrated with it all. :blink:

Am I imagining things?

My cache page has changed design and I now no longer see corrected coordinates...

Just me?

It would appear that the hillshading has stopped working now. On any of the maps, has GC.com done something?

As of a few weeks ago, GC.com started experimenting with new layouts for the cache pages. Users would get randomly diverted to the new designs, which have different URLs to the old-style cache pages. That means that GME doesn't recognise them as cache listings any more, and so doesn't do its magic.

In the long term, I'll be able to update GME to work with whatever pages we end up with. At the moment it's a bit of a moving target while Groundspeak play with their designs. I was getting the new versions quite regularly a fortnight ago, but more recently I seem to have been getting the old style fairly consistently. When I was getting the new versions, the workaround seemed to be to hit the back and forward buttons until the cache page loaded in the old style, which would let GME work again.

Is there a way that I can add an overlay of a Ordnance Survey 1921-1947 with GME?

I know we can add a overlay in the advanced settings, but I'm not sure what settings to use. I currently use the Ordnance Survey 1921-1947 Maps on an iphone app called OutSide, so would be super if I can bring it into geocaching as well!

I'm not sure if GME can do precisely what you want, but it can do something fairly close. OutSide Maps uses OS Openspace data. This isn't compatible with GME because it uses a different datum to Google Maps (essentially, north is in a different direction!), and the mapping library on the Geocaching website isn't smart enough to rotate the map tiles to make everything line up.

However, other historic Ordnance Survey maps are available from OpenStreetMap in a compatible format. To add these mapsources into GME, you paste a string of JSON code into the script's configuration screen. Go to Geocaching Maps and click on the GME configuration icon (the gear), click onto the 'Custom Maps' tab, paste one of the codes below into the 'Mapsource' box, then click on 'Add' then 'Save'. The page should re-load, and you should be able to select the new map.

To use OS New Popular Edition maps from 1945-55 at 1:50000 scale, paste in this code:

{"alt":"OS  NPE","tileUrl":"http://{s}.ooc.openstreetmap.org/npe/{z}/{x}/{y}.png",  "minZoom":6, "maxZoom": 15, "attribution": "Ordnance Survey maps from  <a href='http://www.openstreetmap.org/'>OpenStreetMap</a>,  <a  href='http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.5/'>CC-BY-NC</a>"}

The code above loads the NPE maps as a baselayer, i.e. they replace your normal map when you select them. These maps don't work great as an overlay, as the tiles are opaque - they weren't designed to sit on top of another map. However, you can still make them work as an overlay by making them semi-transparent:

{"alt":"OS  NPE","tileUrl":"http://{s}.ooc.openstreetmap.org/npe/{z}/{x}/{y}.png","minZoom":6,"maxZoom":15,"attribution":"Ordnance  Survey maps from <a  href='http://www.openstreetmap.org/'>OpenStreetMap</a>, <a  href='http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.5/'>CC-BY-NC</a>","overlay":true,"opacity":0.75}

The two codes are the same apart from the addition of 'overlay' and 'opacity' parameters in the second version. The opacity parameter can be from 0 (totally transparent) to 1 (opaque), and might take a bit of fiddling with to get a result that looks good.

A few other OS map editions are also available, see http://geo.inge.org...._maps.htm#oocos for details.

Since the updates to the cache pages this morning, I've noticed (as have a few caching friends who also use this excellent add-on) that the maps no longer show the adjusted co-ords with an arrow. Probably linked to the code changes Groundspeak introduced, but may need you to re-write a bit of your code too, to allow for their changes.

After yesterday's update on Geocaching.com, the maps on individual caching pages no longer support GME! If there a code fix to deal with this?

By editing the script and changing the page url being looked for I made it work again.

On version 0.6.6.2 I changed line 66 from

GME_page_listing = /\/seek\/cache_details\.aspx/.test(GME_page),[/Code]

to

[Code]GME_page_listing = /\/geocache\/GC/.test(GME_page),[/Code]

As this is the first time I have fiddled with a regular expression it may not be 100% optimal but it works for me (on Chrome and Opera).

Just don't ask me where to find the relevant .js file on your system as it varies on OS and browser.

After yesterday's update on Geocaching.com, the maps on individual caching pages no longer support GME! If there a code fix to deal with this?

By editing the script and changing the page url being looked for I made it work again.

to

As this is the first time I have fiddled with a regular expression it may not be 100% optimal but it works for me (on Chrome and Opera).

Just don't ask me where to find the relevant .js file on your system as it varies on OS and browser.

Excellent! Thank you; it works find on Firefox too. :)

My first posting on this forum and, since GME appears to be all the talk at the moment. I have just got GME to work on my PC using Chrome (loud cheer in the background) Am I being greedy, but can I now get it to work on my Andriod Tablet so that I can see an OS map with caches overlaid? Thanks

When I entered corrected co-ordinates into a multi or a puzzle cache the web page used to refresh and draw a green line from the original point to the corrected one. There was also a feature to chose OS maps in the smaller view.

Both of these fine enhancements have disappeared.

I'm using Google Chrome, Vista Home. and TamperMonkey

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Edited by geralduscambrensis

Opera 12.x was the last version of Opera to use their own HTML engine. There was no Opera v13 nor v14.

Instead there was v15 and now v16. All future versions of Opera browser will use the same HTML engine as Google Chrome.

What this means is GME script users can still use the script, but installation is as follows.

Install Opera 16 in a separate folder if need be.

Install Tampermonkey from Opera extensions site.

https://addons.opera...permonkey-beta/

Find GME on userscripts.org

http://userscripts.o...pts/show/109145

Click big INSTALL green button.

choose Tampermonkey option, i.e. OK twice.

To apply hack above by JimJinks post #372 to show GME maps on main cache page.

http://forums.Ground...dpost&p=5291357

Open Opera extensions.

Choose Tampermonkey Options,

click on "Geocaching Map Enhancements" words themselves to open Tampermonkey script editor.

Find line 66 and create a comment by putting two // at beginning of the line, then paste in below the new line of code

I also altered GME version to 0.6.6.2 A

Find SAVE button above.

Acknowledge change alert. OK

Good to go, close Tampermonkey editor tab.

Same applies to Geothumbs found on userscripts.

Opera 12.x was the last version of Opera to use their own HTML engine. There was no Opera v13 nor v14.

Instead there was v15 and now v16. All future versions of Opera browser will use the same HTML engine as Google Chrome.

But stick to 12!! While changing the rendering engine is one thing......they decided to remove all the customisation, and really screw up the handing of bookmarks.

How to ruin a great browser (oh and they did the same with the mobile version).

to

Just a quickie to say a 'thank you' for helping me get the OS map option and the showing of the 'corrected coordinates' back on the cache listing pages - I had been lost without them.

Edited by Yorkshire Yellow

As anyone who has read my previous posts on this thread will know, I think this add-on is one of the best things on geocaching.com! However, I'm a Windows Chrome user and noticed this article from Chrome recently advising that it may no longer be available to Chrome users from January.

The key phrase is ... "starting in January on the Windows stable and beta channels, we’ll require all extensions to be hosted in the Chrome Web Store."

This is to let Windows GME users know that you may have to migrate to Firefox, in January if you are a Chrome user and want to continue to use this wonderful extension. Yes, there are a number of useful features of Chrome not available for that browser so it will be a small step backwards for some of us, but possibly a small price to pay.

Alternatively I understand that the extension can be migrated, but that may have to be done by jri... "If your extensions are currently hosted outside the Chrome Web Store you should migrate them as soon as possible. There will be no impact to your users, who will still be able to use your extension as if nothing changed."

Obviously that will make life easier for us, but I don't know what other implications there may be for developers, such as cost etc. Perhpas jri will consider this option.

As anyone who has read my previous posts on this thread will know, I think this add-on is one of the best things on geocaching.com! However, I'm a Windows Chrome user and noticed this article from Chrome recently advising that it may no longer be available to Chrome users from January.

The key phrase is ... "starting in January on the Windows stable and beta channels, we’ll require all extensions to be hosted in the Chrome Web Store."

This is to let Windows GME users know that you may have to migrate to Firefox, in January if you are a Chrome user and want to continue to use this wonderful extension. Yes, there are a number of useful features of Chrome not available for that browser so it will be a small step backwards for some of us, but possibly a small price to pay.

Alternatively I understand that the extension can be migrated, but that may have to be done by jri... "If your extensions are currently hosted outside the Chrome Web Store you should migrate them as soon as possible. There will be no impact to your users, who will still be able to use your extension as if nothing changed."

Obviously that will make life easier for us, but I don't know what other implications there may be for developers, such as cost etc. Perhpas jri will consider this option.

As some of you will have noticed, it's been a bit quiet from me recently. Alas, the real world has intervened and between a combination of work and personal issues, I haven't had much time for GME or geocaching in general recently.

That said, I am working on bugfix update to GME, which I hope to be able to get out in the next week or two. I tend to use Firefox for development, so that's always going to be the browser that gets the best support. I'd like to keep GME working with Chrome and Opera too, but they're a lower priority for me at the moment.

I know that Opera is moving over to being based on the Chromium engine (the same as Chrome), so there is likely to be some commonality in how extensions work on both browsers. At the moment, I'm not sure that I would be able to turn GME into a proper Chrome extension, because of how it works. As it inserts scripts into web pages to modify what they do, it might fall foul of the reviewing policy. That said, it looks hopeful that GME should continue to work in Chrome using Tampermonkey, which is a bona fide extension.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to test out some of this soon!

Im a Firefox user of GME which is absolutely great. I have used it for some time, and have plotted and saved routes using it. But just in the last few days I have noticed now that when I go to save a route I have plotted on the map, when I press GPX and it goes to the Downloads dialogue box, when it saves it just gives it an odd name eg: Odeh78d without a file extension and i cannot open the folder it has supposedly gone to to save it with a .gpx filename.

Following my last post, I have checked my setup of Firefox and how/where it is downloading to. I have set it up to ask which folder I want it to go to. I can rename the file, but the 'save as type' box only gives the option of 'All files'. When downloaded, using the download green arrow in the taskbar, when you click the 'go to directory' symbol at the right of the filename, it doesn't take you it. Using explorer to go to the folder in question, the file isn't present even with hidden files viewable.

I have had someone else attempt this on their computer (another user of the script on Firefox) and he has the same problem.

This seems to have occured since the Firefox update in the last week. Something has changed, but im no computer wizard and can't see what.

I would really appreciate some help with this. It's a great geocaching aid, and has helped me plan some excellent walking routes in the Lake District and Peak Districts. It made life so much easier to get the waypoints and caches into my GPSr.

Please help me jri, it may just be me, I just don't know.

Regards

Jim

Can I ask a quick question about the corrected co ords feature using Chrome. Using the main map this doesn't show the corrected co ords with the line from the original cords and I can't remember if it ever did? When I click on the cache page the little map does show the corrected co ords - and then when I click on View Larger Map the corrected co ords are still showing but with just that cache.

Am I just imagining that they used to be available on the main map?

(Latest version of Chrome and GME installed via Tampermonkey)

Thanks

Following my last post, I have checked my setup of Firefox and how/where it is downloading to. I have set it up to ask which folder I want it to go to. I can rename the file, but the 'save as type' box only gives the option of 'All files'. When downloaded, using the download green arrow in the taskbar, when you click the 'go to directory' symbol at the right of the filename, it doesn't take you it. Using explorer to go to the folder in question, the file isn't present even with hidden files viewable.

This seems to have occured since the Firefox update in the last week. Something has changed, but im no computer wizard and can't see what.

Jim, I'm going to try to have a look at the problem this weekend. Can you confirm which version of Firefox you're using, and whether you're using Windows or a different OS.

Can I ask a quick question about the corrected co ords feature using Chrome. Using the main map this doesn't show the corrected co ords with the line from the original cords and I can't remember if it ever did? When I click on the cache page the little map does show the corrected co ords - and then when I click on View Larger Map the corrected co ords are still showing but with just that cache.

Mallah, you're not imagining it - I'm aware of the cause of this and should shortly be able to publish an update to fix it.

Im a Firefox user of GME which is absolutely great. I have used it for some time, and have plotted and saved routes using it. But just in the last few days I have noticed now that when I go to save a route I have plotted on the map, when I press GPX and it goes to the Downloads dialogue box, when it saves it just gives it an odd name eg: Odeh78d without a file extension and i cannot open the folder it has supposedly gone to to save it with a .gpx filename.

I've checked this, and I've now got the same issue too. It looks like its a new "feature" of Firefox, so I probably won't be able to fix this, but I can suggest some workarounds.

1. Drag'n'drop the GPX link into a text editor, and save it as a plain text file. The standard Windows Notepad doesn't work, but Wordpad, Notepad2, PFE and even MS Word do. When you save it, make sure it's text format, and type the GPX extension in the filename, e.g. "MyRoute.gpx"
  2. Right click on the GPX link, choose "Save link as...", and enter a filename. The file type will be "All files", so make sure you include the GPX extension as above. For some reason, you may need to left-click-n-drag on the link first, before the "Save link as..." option becomes available.
  3. Change Firefox's settings so it always tries to save GPX files. In the Applications tab in Firefox's Options menu (not the GME options), type "GPX" into the search field, then select "Save file" as the action for Content Type "application/xml-gpx". You should then be able to left-click on the GPX link and successfully enter a filename as above.

Hopefully that should give you an immediate fix, but I'll see if I can do anything to the next update to make the process a bit smoother.

I've checked this, and I've now got the same issue too. It looks like its a new "feature" of Firefox, so I probably won't be able to fix this, but I can suggest some workarounds.

1. Drag'n'drop the GPX link into a text editor, and save it as a plain text file. The standard Windows Notepad doesn't work, but Wordpad, Notepad2, PFE and even MS Word do. When you save it, make sure it's text format, and type the GPX extension in the filename, e.g. "MyRoute.gpx"
  2. Right click on the GPX link, choose "Save link as...", and enter a filename. The file type will be "All files", so make sure you include the GPX extension as above. For some reason, you may need to left-click-n-drag on the link first, before the "Save link as..." option becomes available.
  3. Change Firefox's settings so it always tries to save GPX files. In the Applications tab in Firefox's Options menu (not the GME options), type "GPX" into the search field, then select "Save file" as the action for Content Type "application/xml-gpx". You should then be able to left-click on the GPX link and successfully enter a filename as above.

Hopefully that should give you an immediate fix, but I'll see if I can do anything to the next update to make the process a bit smoother.

Excellent stuff,just tried as you said above and it works now. I'd have never have worked that out lol. Really appreciate your efforts.

Regards

Jim