Geocaching Map Enhancements

jri

Ummm, sorry to be dim here, but how exactly do I get the updated version ?

I was using the method of direct instal into Chrome, but following Google's recent actions I've installed Tampermonkey. Last time I used that, I think I remember that any updates installed automatically. Now however that hasn't happened, and when I delve into Tampermonkey and force it to look for an update it just tells me the latest version is 0.7.0, ie the latest one isn't available. Can't say I'm particularly familiar with Tampermonkey, is there some setting I have to set to get it to search for and instal updates automatically ? Or is there some other method ? I've tried the "Just click the green instal button" method on this page http://geo.inge.org.uk/gme.htm#install and that doesn't seem to do the trick either.

(Quite understand if responses are not instant, I guess you have much more important things going on now ! Best wishes to the family.)

Ummm, sorry to be dim here, but how exactly do I get the updated version ?

I was using the method of direct instal into Chrome, but following Google's recent actions I've installed Tampermonkey. Last time I used that, I think I remember that any updates installed automatically. Now however that hasn't happened, and when I delve into Tampermonkey and force it to look for an update it just tells me the latest version is 0.7.0, ie the latest one isn't available. Can't say I'm particularly familiar with Tampermonkey, is there some setting I have to set to get it to search for and instal updates automatically ? Or is there some other method ? I've tried the "Just click the green instal button" method on this page http://geo.inge.org.uk/gme.htm#install and that doesn't seem to do the trick either.

It looks like OpenUserJS changed all their download URLs this morning, and although they say they're redirecting the old links, it doesn't seem to be working. I've gone round and updated all the links on my pages though, so if you go back to http://geo.inge.org.uk/gme.htm#install now, the install button should be working again. Once you've reinstalled by this method, Tampermonkey should auto-update the script in future.

OK, got it now, huge thanks for fixing so fast.

Didn't update smoothly though, so just in case this helps anyone else this is what happened:

Attempt #1: went to
clicked the green button: nothing happened.

Attempt #2: clicked the Tampermonkey icon in chrome, selected "Check for userscript updates": nothing happened.

Attempt #3: opened the Tampermonkey dashboard, selected GME, selected "Trigger an update" then "Start": TM chuntered a while, then said there was no update available

Attempt #4 went back to
this time refreshed the page before clicking the green install button: bingo, I got 0.7.0.2. What's more the TM dashboard now says that's what I've got and it works on the map.

I can only assume that anyone - like me - who had been trying the green button earlier would find themselves accessing a cached (!) page unless they force a reload of the page before trying again.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - too right !

I have noticed that when GME is enabled and I preview a PQ on the map it shows all caches in the area and not just those on the PQ. If GME is disabled and I preview the PQ I get a map of just the caches on the PQ.

Is there a way of seeing just the caches on the PQ on the map whilst GME is enabled?

Thanks

I have noticed that when GME is enabled and I preview a PQ on the map it shows all caches in the area and not just those on the PQ. If GME is disabled and I preview the PQ I get a map of just the caches on the PQ.

Is there a way of seeing just the caches on the PQ on the map whilst GME is enabled?

I assume you are starting out at the page with the list of your PQs, then clicking preview to open the map. Have you tried loading the PQ from the map instead? i.e. Go to https://www.geocaching.com/map/ then select your query from the PQs tab on the sidebar on the left of the map. Unfortunately, I can't do any testing on this problem, as I'm not a Premium Member.

I was wondering if this has been requested as an update previously or not. But when you drop a marker on the map and select the radius, it would be nice to be able to add a 'label' with the marker too. I think this may help people plan a series, or like me when solving a series of puzzles so I can work out the best route to do the puzzles.

Just luvvvvvvv the GME though as it is.

Jim

as I'm not a Premium Member.

You are now for another year, keep up the good work. Hope all goes well with baby.

Nigel

Well thank you very much! The baby arrived exactly a week ago, and both her and her Mum are doing fine. We're not getting much sleep, but that's only to be expected! I saw the Gift Membership notification email come in this morning, but it took me a while to figure out who "Nigel" was! Anyway, it's always nice to be appreciated :)

I was wondering if this has been requested as an update previously or not. But when you drop a marker on the map and select the radius, it would be nice to be able to add a 'label' with the marker too. I think this may help people plan a series, or like me when solving a series of puzzles so I can work out the best route to do the puzzles.

That should be fairly easy to implement. I'll add it to the list...

Hi, hope this is the right place to present my issue.

I have been using GME for a long time, and I find it brilliant :)

I have, however, been having two problems for the last couple of weeks.

1) It is no longer possible to use the mouse to drag the maps. I have to use the arrow keys.

2) Some previews of pocket queries does not show any caches (even if the query itself reports a lot of caches).

Elaboration:

* This occured simultaneously on both my machines.

* I use Windows 7, with Firefox, Greasemonkey and GME 0.6.9.2 (on one machine) and GME 0.7.0.2 (on the other)

* I have a third machine which uses GME 0.6.4.5 and that works perfectly. (Also on Firefox/Greasemonkey).

On problem 1) I can drag the map the first half second or so, but when the page is loaded it doesn't work anymore.

On problem 2) The map is shown with the correct zoom level for the query. If I choose to find cachen with a radius of 1 km from the starting point, the map is very zoomed in. And if I up the radius to 50 km, the map follows. But no caches are shown. And if I do exactly the same on the machine using GME 0.6.4.5 everything works.

Any ideas?

Thank you so much,

Torkil (for Team Dreggen 2)

Is it possible to set GME so that it works on the new cache submission page? Currently there is no satellite imagery available in the UK at the only zoom level available for trad caches (and you can't zoom out either!) and the imagery for other caches is useless at the zoom level where you get any.

I've posted about the problem here but the responder doesn't see it as an issue

I've found that editing the GME script provides part of the missing functionality (different maps) but the zoom on trad caches still isn't there.

Changing line 67 from

GME_page_plan = /\/hide\/planning\.aspx/.test(GME_page),

to

GME_page_plan = /\/hide\/planning\.aspx|\/hide\/typelocation\.aspx/.test(GME_page),

provides the missing maps

1) It is no longer possible to use the mouse to drag the maps. I have to use the arrow keys.

On problem 1) I can drag the map the first half second or so, but when the page is loaded it doesn't work anymore.

I have had the same problem. Solution is (for me) return to Greasemonkey 1.15. Tested on two computers with success.

It's taken a while, but I've finally got round to another update to the Geocaching Map Enhancements script. If your system doesn't update automatically, you can get GME v0.7.1 from OpenUserJS.org, with full documentation at geo.inge.org.uk/gme.htm.

On the face of it, you shouldn't notice much difference. Here are the main changes:

• I've GME-enabled all the planning maps used during the cache-hiding process.
  • The bug that stopped GME working in Chrome v38 on the Mac should now be fixed.
  • Pages should be more secure. Where possible, GME now uses HTTPS to request images (including the default list of maps), to avoid mixed (insecure) content on secure pages and reduce the amount of warning messages you see. You will not notice an effect unless you restore GME to its default settings, but with the new map URLs, you should keep a secure connection for longer. That said, not all of Geocaching.com is served securely, and some GME functions rely on insecure (non-HTTPS) servers (e.g. Geograph and Panoramio). Other userscripts may also cause the connection to become insecure by fetching images or data from insecure servers.
  • Tidying up and improving the code. This is ongoing work to make the script more robust, and hopefully avoid future bugs. If you're interested in the detail of what goes on under the hood, I am going to start using Github to keep track of the source code.

Still to do:

• Find a way of sharing configuration between the HTTP and HTTPS parts of Geocaching.com.
  • Fix the issue of maps not scrolling (is this still a problem for anyone?)

As ever, I haven't had the time to do as much testing as I might like, and I don't have access to the full range of web browsers and computers that people use to run GME. If you find problems with the new version, first look at the Troubleshooting Tips, then please let me know as much detail as possible about your set-up, what you are trying to do, and what is going wrong. Just saying "it doesn't work" doesn't help!

Finally, it looks like GME is about to become the second most popular script on OpenUserJS.org, and the highest ranked without any rating!

I'm having trouble with the route tool - I thought I'd be able to trace a route on the map to pass close to a selection of caches I want to visit, export it, rename it to something.gpx (Chrome automatically saves it as "download"), then import the route back into geocaching to allow me to do a PQ for caches within a couple of hundred metres of the route.

Works fine until the point where I try to upload the .gpx to the website, when I get a 500: Server Error.

Copy of the .gpx file available for inspection at www.zeusfaber.org.uk/toystoryroute.gpx. It has about 15 waypoints and is only a few miles long.

Am I doing something obviously wrong?

A.

I'm having trouble with the route tool - I thought I'd be able to trace a route on the map to pass close to a selection of caches I want to visit, export it, rename it to something.gpx (Chrome automatically saves it as "download"), then import the route back into geocaching to allow me to do a PQ for caches within a couple of hundred metres of the route.

Works fine until the point where I try to upload the .gpx to the website, when I get a 500: Server Error.

Copy of the .gpx file available for inspection at www.zeusfaber.org.uk/toystoryroute.gpx. It has about 15 waypoints and is only a few miles long.

Am I doing something obviously wrong?

You're not doing anything wrong, just something I'd never tried before! It looks like the .GPX file produced by GME isn't formatted quite right for the website to accept. Try opening your exported GPX file in Notepad or another text editor, and changing the second line to the following:

<gpx creator="Geocaching Map Enhancements v0.7.1.1" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" version="1.1" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1" xmlns="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1">

I will include a fix for this in the next update to GME.

If the "view larger map" contains %xx conversions in "pop=" field, GME complains and quits.

http://www.geocachin...iOiJQMiJ9XX0%3D (I destroyed the contents, so I wouldn't reveal the mystery solution).

The error is caught here:

location.search = decodeURIComponent(location.search).replace(/&pop=[A-Za-z0-9+\/=]+[\?&]?/, "");

} catch (e) {

console.error("GME couldn't decode click-through data: " + pop[1]);

The problem is that "+" "/" and "=" are converted to %2B %2F and %3D.

If I manually convert them back to +/= the URL is good for GME.

IS this a GME problem or has GS broken the URL in the new site update (2011-11-11)?

I could find only one bad URL (tried about 20), which had %2B and %2F. An URL that ended in %3D was OK.

Edit:

I changed the final coords so I can share the offending URL:

xttps://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx?lat=61.05523&lng=24.3948&pop=eyJwcmltYXJ5IjpbeyJsYXQiOjYxLjA1NTIzLCJsbmciOjI0LjM5NDgsInR5cGUiOjgsIm5hbWUiOiJLZXJ0YXVzaGFyam9pdHVza%2BR0a%2FYiLCJpc1VzZXJEZWZpbmVkIjp0cnVlLCJuZXdMYXRMbmciOls2MS4wNTUyMzMzMzMzMzMzNCwyNC4zOTQ4XSwib2xkTGF0TG5nIjpbNjEuMDYzMSwyNC4zOTA0NV0sIm9sZExhdExuZ0Rpc3BsYXkiOiJOIDYxsCAwMy43ODYnIEUgMDI0sCAyMy40MjcnIn1dLCJhZGRpdGlvbmFsIjpbeyJsYXQiOjYxLjA2MTMzLCJsbmciOjI0LjM5MTY3LCJ0eXBlIjoyMTcsIm5hbWUiOiJJc29tcGkgcGFya2tpcGFpa2thIChzdW9zaXR1cykgKCBQYXJraW5nIEFyZWEgKSIsInBmIjoiUDEifSx7ImxhdCI6NjEuMDYzNDIsImxuZyI6MjQuMzg4NTgsInR5cGUiOjIxNywibmFtZSI6IlJhdmludG9sYW4gcGFya2tpcGFpa2thICggUGFya2luZyBBcmVhICkiLCJwZiI6IlAyIn1dfQ%3D%3D#?ll=61.05521,24.3948&z=14

Edited by stebu

I can no longer see GME in the main maps i.e. no settings icon to change to OS maps or place markers etc? Any ideas.

Oddly though, I can see the map option layers icon when in a cache listing, but after selecting 'View larger Map' they dissapear ?

Google Chrome Version 38.0.2125.122 m

GME v0.7.1

Edited by Mallah

I can no longer see GME in the main maps i.e. no settings icon to change to OS maps or place markers etc? Any ideas.

Oddly though, I can see the map option layers icon when in a cache listing, but after selecting 'View larger Map' they dissapear ?

GME v0.7.1

That's exactly my problem in the post above yours. Check if the link to the larger map contains percent (%) characters. This only (IMHO) happens with caches that have special characters in their name.

GME v0.7.1

That's exactly my problem in the post above yours. Check if the link to the larger map contains percent (%) characters. This only (IMHO) happens with caches that have special characters in their name.

That means nothing to me? What am I supposed to do?

GME v0.7.1

The best thing is to get jri notified of this problem.

Can you confirm that this does not happen on most of the caches? I.e. you can see the map selections and possible additional waymarks (parking, etc) on the small map within the listing. When you open the "View larger map", none of the benefits of GME appear.

I've tried to contact jri, but no success so far.

GME v0.7.1

The best thing is to get jri notified of this problem.

Can you confirm that this does not happen on most of the caches? I.e. you can see the map selections and possible additional waymarks (parking, etc) on the small map within the listing. When you open the "View larger map", none of the benefits of GME appear.

I've tried to contact jri, but no success so far.

I think what I wrote on 16th is pretty clear. No GME on main map, but is there within a cache listing - but not when I click on view main map.

Can no longer get my OS maps. Stacked icon still there loads of maps but no OS. I use Firefox and Greasemonkey when I check manage user script it say GME installed I checked that Leaflet is ticked and that's ok. Tried to un install and re install GME but still it has gone. I am not very competent on the computer so would appreciate some advice.

Check that you are using the Leaflet maps, open the side menu on the left of the main map, click the "Set Map Preferences" button, and make sure "Leaflet" says selected, if not select it, then go back to the map.

Spot on Marty, they were set to Google. Selected leaflet Maps and GME is back.

I use the OS NPE maps quite regularly, but for some reason the maps won't load anymore? I'm using this code:

{"alt":"OS NPE","tileUrl":"http://ooc.openstreetmap.org/npe/{z}/{x}/{y}.png", "minZoom":6, "maxZoom": 15, "attribution": "OpenStreetMap NPE" }

but it just comes back with grey tiles - Does anyone know why?

I'm afraid I don't know why. The OpenStreetMap.org NPE wiki page is still up, but the OSM out-of-copyright server seems to be giving "Access forbidden" messages for everything. This doesn't seem to be a GME-specific problem, as their "view online" page isn't working either for NPE.If you just want to browse the old maps though, rather than use them in GME, you can see them at http://www.npemap.org.uk/

The route tool is great but I'm not sure of the best way to use it with Basecamp.

I am saving it as a GPX file but it won't import into Basecamp I get an "unknow error opening import file"

I have found that I can use gpsvisualizer.com to convert the file which will then import into basecamp. However, there is no altitude data so I can't see a profile graph of the route.

Does anyone have any tips on the best way to use the Route Tool / GPX file with Garmin Basecamp. :)

Just noticed that the hillshading is no longer ... well shading the hills. Not sure how long this has been the case.

Firefox user, fully up to date.

Running 0.7.1 version.

Happy New Year, and sorry for the slow response - it's been a busy holiday. The Hillshading overlay stopped working because the server it was hosted on shut down. Luckily, it's moved to a new one (more details at https://wiki.openstr...ke_%26_Bike_Map).

GME v0.7.2, which was released on 30 Dec, included the new tileUrl to make Hillshading work again. However, the new details don't take effect unless you reset GME to its default settings (this is to stop it automatically overwriting people's settings when they're not expecting). If you are using any custom map sources, you might want to take a copy of their details. You can do this from the GME configuration screen. Go to the Geocaching Maps page, click the GME gear icon, then click the 'Manage maps' tab. Clicking the 'Export custom maps' button will give you the JSON codes for all your maps - copy and paste this into Notepad to save it for later use. You can then use the 'Defaults' button at the bottom of the configuration screen to reset GME.

Alternatively, if you don't want to reset everything, you can use the 'Manage maps' tab to delete your current Hillshading settings (click the checkbox against Hillshading in the 'Remove map sources' section, then click 'Save'), then paste the code below in as a new map source:

{"alt":"Hillshading","tileUrl":"http://{s}.tiles.wmflabs.org/hillshading/{z}/{x}/{y}.png","subdomains":"abc","attribution":"Hillshading  by <a\t  href='https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Hike_%26_Bike_Map'>Colin  Marquardt</a> from NASA SRTM data","overlay":true}

The route tool is great but I'm not sure of the best way to use it with Basecamp.

I am saving it as a GPX file but it won't import into Basecamp I get an "unknow error opening import file"

I have found that I can use gpsvisualizer.com to convert the file which will then import into basecamp. However, there is no altitude data so I can't see a profile graph of the route.

Does anyone have any tips on the best way to use the Route Tool / GPX file with Garmin Basecamp. :)

I'll try to put a fix for this bug in the next version of GME. As a workaround, you should be able to make the exported route work in Basecamp if you open it in a text editor and delete the <name>, <desc>, <author>, and <time> lines from near the top of the file.

However, this won't necessarily help you see an altitude profile of the route, as the file exported from GME doesn't have any altitude information in it in the first place. You will need to import the GPX into an application that can look up the height data online. GME can look up spot heights, but it isn't practical to extend it to try to get elevation along a route.

I'll try to put a fix for this bug in the next version of GME. As a workaround, you should be able to make the exported route work in Basecamp if you open it in a text editor and delete the <name>, <desc>, <author>, and <time> lines from near the top of the file.

However, this won't necessarily help you see an altitude profile of the route, as the file exported from GME doesn't have any altitude information in it in the first place. You will need to import the GPX into an application that can look up the height data online. GME can look up spot heights, but it isn't practical to extend it to try to get elevation along a route.

That works fine thanks and basecamp seems to add the altitude info on import so all good. Thanks - great job icon1.gificon1.gificon1.gif

I love GME , it and GSAK are perfect examples of knowledgeable people using their skills and interacting efficiently with their community of users , thank you jri. The frog would do well to take lessons from you ...

Shmooze over :rolleyes: , this is not a moan, but a heads up in case other folk have the same issue as me : I use(d) Mozilla , and GME failed for me after an update to v 2.33 yesterday : I traced the problem to the mysterious disappearance of the greasemonkey script which it seems is not compatible with the update.

So I'm now a firefox user ... at least until (and if) greasemonkey catches up.

... I use(d) Mozilla , and GME failed for me after an update to v 2.33 yesterday : I traced the problem to the mysterious disappearance of the greasemonkey script which it seems is not compatible with the update.

I'm assuming a typo, or aren't Mozilla & Firefox the same thing now? Not trying to be pedantic or an a** just wondering which browser you found works and which doesn't as I've got some scripts that stopped working on Firefox (eg GC Little Helper, GCComment) , some broken on Chrome and some that have stopped working altogether on any browser (eg GCTours). Funnily enough though GME still works on both and I still have OS maps etc.

I love GME , it and GSAK are perfect examples of knowledgeable people using their skills and interacting efficiently with their community of users , thank you jri. The frog would do well to take lessons from you ...

:anicute: Gee thanks!

Shmooze over :rolleyes: , this is not a moan, but a heads up in case other folk have the same issue as me : I use(d) Mozilla , and GME failed for me after an update to v 2.33 yesterday : I traced the problem to the mysterious disappearance of the greasemonkey script which it seems is not compatible with the update.

Thanks for reporting this, but I'm not sure that I understand the problem. Am I right in thinking that you were using the Mozilla Seamonkey browser, and upgrading it to v2.33 broke Greasemonkey? Or does Greasemonkey still work OK, but GME no longer works for you? Can you check which Greasemonkey version you've got?

I am currently using Firefox v36.0.1 with Greasemonkey v3.0, and GME is working for me. I know Seamonkey 2.33 is built on the same version of the Gecko engine as my Firefox, but I don't have Seamonkey installed for testing and I'm not sure how similar the two browsers really are. I know Firefox is going through some pretty major under-the-hood changes and Greasemonkey has been updated to match (hence the v3 release last week) - this may have inadvertently broken it for Seamonkey.

If you're still on Greasemonkey v2.3 and it's not working, try upgrading to v3. If you've already got it,you might be able to downgrade to v2.3, or upgrade to the beta of v3.1. The different versions are all at https://addons.mozil...onkey/versions/

If the problem does seem to be a compatibility issue between Greasemonkey and Seamonkey, it might be worth reporting it on the Greasemonkey support site: http://www.greasespot.net/

Thanks for reporting this, but I'm not sure that I understand the problem. Am I right in thinking that you were using the Mozilla Seamonkey browser, and upgrading it to v2.33 broke Greasemonkey? Or does Greasemonkey still work OK, but GME no longer works for you? Can you check which Greasemonkey version you've got?

You are correct- I'm sorry I caused confusion by calling 'Seamonkey' 'Mozilla'( I think it used to be called that back when I started using it ). I'd been scrabbling around trying to sort the problem out and got my monkeys in a twist ...

So , to clarify , Mozilla Seamonkey V 2.33 update installed on my machine, and when I then tried to use GME it was not working. GME was still listed when I looked in the add ons / user scripts tab , and the next thing I checked for was Greasemonkey. That was nowhere to be seen, so I attempted to download Greasemonkey v3 and got a pop up box which said " Greasemonkey cannot be installed as it is not compatible with Seamonkey 2.33"

I am no expert, and having tried that obvious fix and failed the most speedy simple remedy I could think of was to download Firefox and the new Greasemonkey and GME and try using that instead. That worked fine.

I am currently using Firefox v36.0.1 with Greasemonkey v3.0, and GME is working for me. I know Seamonkey 2.33 is built on the same version of the Gecko engine as my Firefox, but I don't have Seamonkey installed for testing and I'm not sure how similar the two browsers really are. I know Firefox is going through some pretty major under-the-hood changes and Greasemonkey has been updated to match (hence the v3 release last week) - this may have inadvertently broken it for Seamonkey.

If you're still on Greasemonkey v2.3 and it's not working, try upgrading to v3. If you've already got it,you might be able to downgrade to v2.3, or upgrade to the beta of v3.1. The different versions are all at https://addons.mozil...onkey/versions/

If the problem does seem to be a compatibility issue between Greasemonkey and Seamonkey, it might be worth reporting it on the Greasemonkey support site: http://www.greasespot.net/

Thanks, I will see if I can confuse them too ...

I'm pretty sure that when you have the maps page (with GME enabled) open in one tab, and a cache page containing corrected coords open in another tab, you used to be able to show the corrected location on the main map by dragging the "?" symbol next to the cache name onto the maps tab. Doesn't seem to work now, you just end up downloading a file. Is something broken, or am I mis-remembering how it used to work ?

I'm pretty sure that when you have the maps page (with GME enabled) open in one tab, and a cache page containing corrected coords open in another tab, you used to be able to show the corrected location on the main map by dragging the "?" symbol next to the cache name onto the maps tab. Doesn't seem to work now, you just end up downloading a file. Is something broken, or am I mis-remembering how it used to work ?

It should still be working, or at least it is for me. Just to check, you have to drag the cache icon onto the actual map itself, not just the browser tab. In most browsers, if you hover the mouse over the tab while you're dragging, the tab will open and you can move the mouse over the map. Some browsers also ask if you want to "upload the file to geocaching.com" before displaying what you've dragged across (say yes - nothing actually gets uploaded).

If that doesn't work, let me know the GC code of the cache that's causing problems, and the version numbers of your web browser and Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey.

It should still be working, or at least it is for me.

OK, just me then.

if you hover the mouse over the tab while you're dragging, the tab will open and you can move the mouse over the map.

That's the bit that isn't working. I drag the "?" onto the map tab, and nothing happens, the tab doesn't open, so all I can do is drop the "?" onto the tab - which of course doesn't work.

Using:

Chrome Version 41.0.2272.101 m, which Google claims is up to date

Tampermonkey 3.10.60

GME v0.7.2

I've tried several solved puzzle caches with the same negative result, so here's a couple: GC5FCET, GC5FBXD

All thoughts gratefully received, even if I do seem to be in a minority of one (and hence I'd understand if you have other priorities).

It should still be working, or at least it is for me.

OK, just me then.

Nope - looks like I see the same as you when I'm using Chrome too.

if you hover the mouse over the tab while you're dragging, the tab will open and you can move the mouse over the map.

That's the bit that isn't working. I drag the "?" onto the map tab, and nothing happens, the tab doesn't open, so all I can do is drop the "?" onto the tab - which of course doesn't work.

It looks like it's an issue with Chrome (but not one that anyone's taking much interest in). As a workaround, open the map page and cache pages as separate Chrome windows (rather than tabs). Or if they're already open as tabs, you can move a tab into a new window by dragging it down a little way and letting it go. Then you can drag the cache icon from the listing in one window to the map in the other. In Windows at least, you can still do this even if the window with the map is covered over: drag the icon over the task bar / ribbon and hover it over the icon for Chrome (don't drop yet). The other window should then surface and you can drop the icon onto the map. I'm not sure if that also works in Chrome on the Mac or Linux.

PS This feature doesn't just work for puzzles. It should work for corrected coordinates on multis, and for any cache that has waypoints listed.

[Edited for wine-induced typos]

Edited by jri

Thanks for confirming I'm not imagining things, and for pointing out the workaround. I didn't know you could drag tabs between windows like that ! I'll use the two-windows trick whenever I want a map with corrected locations on it.

Odd that the Chrome defect report suggests this has been an issue since July 13. I don't use this all that often, but I'm sure I've used it successfully since then.

Thanks for the help, and keep up the good work !

It looks like there have been a few changes to Geocaching.com recently. A couple that have affected GME are the removal of the old Hide & Seek a Cache page, and the disappearance of the My Profile menu.

I'm going to put the link to GME's configuration screen into the top-right "V" pulldown menu, but I've not yet decided whether to replace and of GME's search functions from the Hide & Seek page, and if so, how to build them in to the new website. The main GME additions were to let you search by OS grid reference, by keyword (via Google) or near your current location. The new search page gives you similar functions to the last two anyway. Did anyone search by grid ref from that page? (It will still work from the search box on the Maps page).

Please let me know if you've got any thoughts about these features, or if you spot anything else that's been broken by the changes.

For anyone really keen, my latest development efforts can be seen on Github. Otherwise, once I've tested a proper update, it will come out on OpenUserJS.org at https://openuserjs.org/scripts/JRI/Geocaching_Map_Enhancements

I was having a few problems with GME yesterday, some tiles were missing from the OS maps.

I checked here to see if there were any others having problems and noticed that my version of GME was a bit out of date so I installed v 0.7.2.

Now I can't see OS maps at all, although they are listed as being there and I have them selected as my default all I see are roads on some other map.

I haven't changed anything else, I've been using GME for over 2 years and all was well 24 hours ago.

I use Firefox, am a premium member and have checked that leaflet maps are selected.

Any ideas why this has happened? thank you.