Geocaching Map Enhancements

jri

After some long while in development, I've got a new version of GME more or less ready to go live. It's had a very substantial under-the-hood re-write with the idea of tidying up the code; making it more robust and less likely to conflict with other scripts or gobble up all your browser's memory. That said, re-writing inevitably introduced loads of bugs, which I think I've now pretty much ironed out.

On the positive side, the new version has a few bonuses:

• It can label the caches on the map, so you can print it out and see which one is which.
  • It can use geolocation on the cache listings and seek page to tell you how far a cache is, or what's near "here".
  • Dragging and dropping GPX files onto the map now supports displaying tracks and routes. You should also be able to drop onto the cache page maps as well as the main map page.
  • The cache list on the travel bug map page gets numbered so you can see which cache is which on the map, and links are added so you can centre the map on a given cache.
  • If a cache has Parking or Trailhead waypoints, you now get a link to show you driving directions to them from your home location.
  • It's a bit easier to manage custom map sources.

If you're feeling adventurous enough, you can test out the new version (v0.6.1) by installing from http://geo.inge.org....cements.user.js

There's no documentation for the new version yet, but I'd appreciate any bug reports or feedback - e.g. are the new features intuitive enough to find? Is it doing something you don't expect it to? If you run into problems, look at the instructions for v0.6.0 at http://userscripts.o...pts/show/109145 and if the worst comes to the worst, uninstall the new script and revert to the version from userscripts.org

In a couple of weeks, when I'm reasonably confident there are no bloopers, I'll update the official userscripts.org page to the new version.

I have just downloaded the new script and it seems to work really well. The map has not locked up when zooming in and out which it had done before. I love the link to Google Street view, that is really useful. The cache labels are also excellent though being black on an often cluttered background they are not always that clear. Perhaps the labels should have an opaque background. Many thanks for this excellent script.

Just installed it on Firefox/Windows XP. I really like the cache labelling idea but it labels some but not all caches for me. It does this at different zoom levels but the caches it chooses to label sometimes changes between zoom levels.

This is something I'll have to document. The way the site works, when you load up the map page, your browser can't see any information about where the caches are. All it has is a set of map tile images, that may or may not have cache icons somewhere on them. When you move your mouse over each map tile, your browser asks the server whether there are any caches in that tile. This is why there's sometimes a delay when you hover the mouse over a cache icon, before the answer comes back.

GME can only label the caches that the server has reported - i.e. the ones on tiles you've moved your mouse over. The information from the server is specific to each zoom level, but GME remembers the caches it has already labelled. However, the location information comes back from the server in pixels rather than lat/lon coordinates, so as you zoom in, the labels may drift away from the caches.

To make it work well, move your mouse in an S pattern over the screen before you use the label function. If you don't get labels for all the caches, point at them with the mouse, then try again. Sometimes this fails if the server is overloaded: unfortunately the browser doesn't repeat requests. However, you should be able to get the label by changing zoom level and trying again.

I have just tried the new version (v0.6.1), it took me a few minutes to figure out that you needed to right left click to bring up the menu. But once I had discovered that the new improvement is great thanks for all your hard work

Just one thing, is it possible to get the cache name rather than the GC number

I appreciate all the work that has gone into the script and I don’t know how much work this request would involve

Thanks again for the work so far

Edited by martin&lindabryn

This is a minor quibble regarding the config screen(s)

I use a netbook which has a 1024 * 600 screen and on this the bottom of the config screens disappear but there's no ability to scroll down to see them. Hardly a show stopper but any chance of fixing while you're at it?

Well, the good news is nothing seems to be broken.

But I have failed to figure out how to turn on the new stuff. E.g. I can't see any cache IDs on the map, no matter where I click.

I'm not very good at puzzle caches either..

I'd love to have the cache IDs... today I manually write them on the maps!

Click on the little at the bottom left, then click somewhere on the map. This brings up the sub menu which has the show/hide cache ID option.

I found a slightly quicker way of installing it on the latest version of Chrome rather than saving it first. After downloading it on my PC it ends up at the bottom left of my screen in a downloads area. Leaving it there you can click on the 'Extensions' bit of Chrome and then simply drag the downloaded file into the extensions page.

Oh, and yes, cache names would be more useful for me as well :)

Edited by mike142sl

Well, the good news is nothing seems to be broken.

But I have failed to figure out how to turn on the new stuff. E.g. I can't see any cache IDs on the map, no matter where I click.

I'm not very good at puzzle caches either..

I'd love to have the cache IDs... today I manually write them on the maps!

I had the same problem at first

You need to click on the “i” icon on the bottom left of the map (turning it blue), then left click on the map, next click on show labels

Hope this helps

Personally I wouldn't want to see the cache names, unless it was an option. Given that cache names can be a single character, or a very long string it could be very messy when printed out with names overlapping all over the place.

Currently IS an option for GC codes, so why would it be different to Names??

You need to click on the "i" icon on the bottom left of the map (turning it blue), then left click on the map, next click on show labels

Hope this helps

Although this doesn't work using Opera :(Would it would be a better idea to put it on the main option screen?

This is a minor quibble regarding the config screen(s)

I use a netbook which has a 1024 * 600 screen and on this the bottom of the config screens disappear but there's no ability to scroll down to see them. Hardly a show stopper but any chance of fixing while you're at it?

Unfortunately there's not much I can do about this, as it's a feature of the JQuery Mobile library that is used for the dialog boxes. Ironically, it's designed for devices with small screens, but I'll see if I can improve the layout at all!

Which browser are you using though? There's a way of scrolling in pretty much everything I've tested, although it's not always obvious.

Unfortunately there's not much I can do about this, as it's a feature of the JQuery Mobile library that is used for the dialog boxes. Ironically, it's designed for devices with small screens, but I'll see if I can improve the layout at all!

Which browser are you using though? There's a way of scrolling in pretty much everything I've tested, although it's not always obvious.

Using Firefox. No, definitely no scroll bar. It's not really an issue as I can always hit F11 and that brings the bottom into frame but I just thought it might be something that could be fixed easily.

Using Firefox. No, definitely no scroll bar. It's not really an issue as I can always hit F11 and that brings the bottom into frame but I just thought it might be something that could be fixed easily.

The other trick for Firefox is to use the PgUp/PgDn buttons...

The cache labels are also excellent though being black on an often cluttered background they are not always that clear. Perhaps the labels should have an opaque background.

I've updated the version of the script at http://geo.inge.org.uk/userscripts/GeocachingMapEnhancements.user.js to give the labels semi-transparent backgrounds. That helps them show up better, but still gives you half a chance of figuring out what's going on when they start stacking up.

Personally I wouldn't want to see the cache names, unless it was an option. Given that cache names can be a single character, or a very long string it could be very messy when printed out with names overlapping all over the place.

Technically, it's very easy to make the labels show the cache names, but as MartyBartfast points out, it gets rather messy. Where I live in Bristol, just showing the GC codes makes the map pretty cluttered, with lots of overlapping labels. While I could truncate the names at some arbitrary length, that would get pretty annoying, especially for series with lots of caches with similar names in the same area. For that reason, I will stick with just the GC codes for now.

That said, you can see the full name if you hover the mouse over the GC code or the cache icon. In a future version, I'll see whether I can make a sidebar or popup that gives a list of caches and names (just like the old maps...)

You need to click on the "i" icon on the bottom left of the map (turning it blue), then left click on the map, next click on show labels

Hope this helps

Although this doesn't work using Opera :(Would it would be a better idea to put it on the main option screen?

Works for me in Opera and Opera Mobile. Which version of Opera are you using? And have you checked you're running v0.6.1 of GME?

A suggestion, which may be down to personal preference, but I think it would be better if the little dialog box created by the "i" button closed itself once one of it's options have been chosen, rather than staying visible and needing to be closed with the "x". This would be particularly helpful when measuring distance if the next point I want to measure is currently covered by the dialog box which needs to be manually closed before selecting the next point.

Not a big deal but it might save a few mouse clicks !

I really appreciate all the work done but just wish I could print off the OS maps. It always ends up with half a page which is a bit annoying as I really like to have a map with me when caching and can't afford buying every explorer map that I need!

I almost always print them out. Using Google Chrome; printing them 1 page landscape works well for me; I also adjust the zoom level in Chrome if needed to cover a larger area. I think the printing is more a function of the browser and settings than the enhancements.

I really appreciate all the work done but just wish I could print off the OS maps. It always ends up with half a page which is a bit annoying as I really like to have a map with me when caching and can't afford buying every explorer map that I need!

I also print the OS map out, for me I do a print screen (<alt><print Scrn>) then paste that into Paint, cut off any bits I don't want and print it from there.

A suggestion, which may be down to personal preference, but I think it would be better if the little dialog box created by the "i" button closed itself once one of it's options have been chosen, rather than staying visible and needing to be closed with the "x". This would be particularly helpful when measuring distance if the next point I want to measure is currently covered by the dialog box which needs to be manually closed before selecting the next point.

Good suggestion. Since it only needed one line of code, it'll be in the next official update!

I also print the OS map out, for me I do a print screen (<alt><print Scrn>) then paste that into Paint, cut off any bits I don't want and print it from there.

You tried cache eye? you can measure cache to cache (or detour) on various maps, including OS25, and print out both the route map (centralised around your chosen caches) along with a sheet of cache details, coords, hint etc..

GME v0.6.1 is live at http://userscripts.o...pts/show/109145

This version adds a number of extra features, and has a few minor tweaks compared to the version I posted here recently. Here's the summary change list:

+ Cache labelling on main map

+ Geolocation on seek page and cache listings

+ Freeform coordinates on seek page

+ Trackable map enhancements

+ Drag'n'drop support for dropping GPX routes and tracks

+ Driving directions on additional waypoints

+ Options to remove individual custom maps and export custom map code

* Fixed: conflict with GCComment on search pane

* Fixed: Streetview link preserves zoom level

* Fixed: Exits gracefully if multiple copies installed

* Reduced impact of drag'n'drop highlighting on cache listing

* Recoded for robustness, tidiness and security: used strict mode and jslint, reduced use of global variables, and added new Greasemonkey permissions metadata.

- Removed workaround for fixed geocaching.com bug (no cache information showing on mouseover)

More details are on the userscripts.org page linked above. My next task is to improve the documentation!

Edited by jri

Im updated and running Firefox at its latest version, but when I select ordnance survey in the top right, i get a grey screen. Ive removed and reinstalled GME, but no change. The cache icons are visible, but no underlying map. Any ideas?

Do the other maps work OK? The OS maps come from Bing, so if the Bing maps don't load either, it's probably a temporary problem with your connection to their servers. If the other maps are working, then try resetting your GME configuration using the instructions here: http://geo.inge.org.uk/gme_trouble.htm (just reinstalling doesn't affect the configuration on its own).

Hope that helps!

Since the recent site update the map on the cache page underneath 'View Larger Map' will no longer show the map if Bing Maps, Bing Ariel View or Ordnance Survey is selected, the three Google options do work fine however.

I have no such problem on the main map page where you view all geocaches, here all the maps work fine.

Just wondering if anyone else has this issue?

Since the recent site update the map on the cache page underneath 'View Larger Map' will no longer show the map if Bing Maps, Bing Ariel View or Ordnance Survey is selected, the three Google options do work fine however.

I have no such problem on the main map page where you view all geocaches, here all the maps work fine.

The same for me, seemingly due to Tuesday's update

Leaflet maps have been updated to version 0.50 throughout the site with the exception of the /map page (this work will come in a later release)

Yes, It's been happening for me to ever since the upgrade. I use Chrome.

The same for me, seemingly due to Tuesday's update

Leaflet maps have been updated to version 0.50 throughout the site with the exception of the /map page (this work will come in a later release)

Yup. That's the problem, and it will affect all browsers. Version 0.5 has changed how the Leaflet Maps API internally works out the URIs for map tiles. "Standard" maps are OK, but ones that use odd URI formats (like Bing and Wikimapia) got broken. The good news is that I can fix it, and should be able to do so in a way that will still work when they update the /map page.

The bad news is that you'll have to wait until the weekend! I want to take the opportunity to put in a panel that will list the names and GC numbers of all the caches on the map...

The bad news is that you'll have to wait until the weekend! I want to take the opportunity to put in a panel that will list the names and GC numbers of all the caches on the map...

Thank you, it is only when things break you realise how much you use them. Looking forward to the other updates too.

Despite Chrome throwing a small hissy fit (and all its toys out of the pram) when it decided that because the extension wasn't from the recognised "Chrome Store" it was going to make me jump through hoops to upgrade it - all is working fine now.

This is a GREAT extension and I wouldn't be without it. Thank you so much!

I was assured by the Chrome browser that its initial refusal to play ball was in fact for my comfort and convenience and to enhance my experience of the browser (yeah, right!).

NOTE FOR CHROME USERS:

2. Go to the link provided by that very nice jri chap :) and click on the green INSTALL button near the top right of the screen.
  3. You will get a message about it not being trustworthy etc, click OK to get rid of the message.
  4. As the file downloads it will show in a grey pane at the bottom of the screen- leave it there for the moment.
  5. Click on the strange icon of three horizontal lines at the top right of the browser (Customise and control Google Chrome)
  6. Click on Extensions (left hand pane)
  7. This will show a list of all the extensions you have.
  8. Click on the downloaded file in the grey pane and drag it into the middle of your browser. A box should appear asking you to drop it into that box, so that is where you drop it.

That's it, you may have to shut Chrome down and re open it but that's all there is to it :)

Hope it helps

I love the map enhancements and it saves so much time fiddling around with MemoryMap. I have just downloaded the latest version using chrome and Tampermonkey. However I still cannot get the option to show cache name labels when I click in the i. Is there something I am missing out?

Name labels are not available yet. But this feature has been asked for

I love the map enhancements and it saves so much time fiddling around with MemoryMap. I have just downloaded the latest version using chrome and Tampermonkey. However I still cannot get the option to show cache name labels when I click in the i. Is there something I am missing out?

Name labels are not available yet. But this feature has been asked for

Sorry i must have misunderstood. In post #177 there is a list of features and cache labels are at the top so i thought they were now available.

Sorry I hadn’t seen the new update.

I have just updated my version, and have now lost the ability to add the GC codes to the map.

When I click on the “i” then left clic on the map, I get a dialog box with the following options

52°57.675′N 003°22.595′W

Dec: 52.96125,-3.37658

List caches,

Google Directions

Google Streetview,

Wikimapia, MAGIC,

Drop marker, Get height,

Measure route

There is now no option to add GC codes

I am using Firefox 18.0.2

Sorry I hadn’t seen the new update.

I have just updated my version, and have now lost the ability to add the GC codes to the map.

When I click on the “i” then left clic on the map, I get a dialog box with the following options

52°57.675′N 003°22.595′W

Dec: 52.96125,-3.37658

List caches,

Google Directions

Google Streetview,

Wikimapia, MAGIC,

Drop marker, Get height,

Measure route

There is now no option to add GC codes

I am using Firefox 18.0.2

That's exactly what I see too using Chrome.

Oops - I'd changed the feature without changing the description! Cache labels are still there, and better than before. However, they are no longer on the i menu. Instead, there should be a new "Cache List" option for the sidebar panel at the left of the map, alongside the normal "Search" and "Pocket Queries".

Here's a screenshot:

large.png

The "Show labels" button toggles the labels on and off on the map. If you toggle "Auto update", then more labels will appear as you scroll the map, otherwise hit the refresh icon when you want to see more. The X icon clears the list, and removes the labels from the map. The list updates whenever you refresh it (or pan the map, if Auto Update is on), whether or not labels are shown. In the list, the little map icons centre the map on each cache, while clicking on the name should open the listing page.

This feature becomes less useful as you zoom out and more caches are shown. It does work with thousands of labels, but it will slow down your computer!