Geocaching Map Enhancements

jri

Today's Geocaching.com website update has removed the Google Maps API from cache pages (the "Dynamic Maps" feature) and replaced it with the Leaflet API and Mapquest. On the down side, this temporarily breaks GME and means no more satellite or OS maps on cache pages. :(

On the up side, it will now be much easier for a future version of GME to add in a similar range of maps to what is available on the full-size maps page. :)

Thanks for the update, that's a real shame. I was just about to post something on here asking if there was any way you would be able to reinstate (as a minimum) the OS maps on the 'dynamic map' on the cache page - even though the dynamic map option has gone. That particular facility's usefulness in terms of positioning a puzzle cache's adjusted co-ordinates on a footpath or similar can't be underestimated. I know I can still look at the OS map on the larger map, but until Groundspeak align the position of the icon with the actual adjusted co-ordinates, I am always going to be guessing where the puzzle cache is on the map.

I appreciate I sound like a spoilt toddler at this point ('I want, I want') and completely understand if it's not possible. I also realise this is extra work for you, but wondered if it is something you could have a look at given JUST how incredibly useful the dynamic OS map used to be. It was the only place you could see the adjusted icon on an OS map.

Once again, thanks for your continued work on this project; the benefits of seeing the OS maps are highlighted even more these days when you compare them to the poor quality of the default. You are still my hero :wub:

Today's Geocaching.com website update has removed the Google Maps API from cache pages (the "Dynamic Maps" feature) and replaced it with the Leaflet API and Mapquest. On the down side, this temporarily breaks GME and means no more satellite or OS maps on cache pages. :(

On the up side, it will now be much easier for a future version of GME to add in a similar range of maps to what is available on the full-size maps page. :)

Thanks for the update, that's a real shame. I was just about to post something on here asking if there was any way you would be able to reinstate (as a minimum) the OS maps on the 'dynamic map' on the cache page - even though the dynamic map option has gone. That particular facility's usefulness in terms of positioning a puzzle cache's adjusted co-ordinates on a footpath or similar can't be underestimated. I know I can still look at the OS map on the larger map, but until Groundspeak align the position of the icon with the actual adjusted co-ordinates, I am always going to be guessing where the puzzle cache is on the map.

I appreciate I sound like a spoilt toddler at this point ('I want, I want') and completely understand if it's not possible. I also realise this is extra work for you, but wondered if it is something you could have a look at given JUST how incredibly useful the dynamic OS map used to be. It was the only place you could see the adjusted icon on an OS map.

Once again, thanks for your continued work on this project; the benefits of seeing the OS maps are highlighted even more these days when you compare them to the poor quality of the default. You are still my hero :wub:

I'm working on it... but I'm a tad busy at home at the moment, so it will be a few more days yet before there's an update. From my point of view, the removal of "Dynamic maps" is actually an advantage. I had wanted to be able to add extra options to the cache page maps, alongside OS and Hybrid, but the Google API wasn't nearly as easy to extend. Although it looks bad at the moment, now that the Leaflet API (used on the main maps page) also powers the cache page maps, I should be able to re-use my code from the main page to add in a map selector relatively easily.

Here's what I'm hoping to put into the next update:

• Map selection on cache pages
  • Adjustable map brightness, to make cache icons easier to see (inspired by this script, but working in more types of browser)
  • Fixed layout - since the 27 March update, the positioning of the map widgets seems to be all over the place

Getting the icons in the right place is another matter - hopefully one that Groundspeak will fix themselves!

GME v0.5.5 is available!

• Adjustable map brightness, to make cache icons easier to see (inspired by this script, but working in more types of browser)
  • Fixed layout - since the 27 March update, the positioning of the map widgets seems to be all over the place

Well, that is all working now, so you can now see aerial photos and more on the geocache listing pages, as well as the main Geocaching Maps page. I've also added in a warning triangle that pops up to tell you if you've zoomed in too far, and won't be able to see caches any more.

As ever, for full details and installation go to userscripts.org

Just for fun... with Geocaching Map Enhancements you can now make geocaching look like a real computer game, with the 8-bit version of Google Maps.

To try it out, click the GME cog icon to configure, select "Add more maps", paste the code below into the Mapsource box, and hit "Add mapsource":

{"alt":"Quest","tileUrl":"http://mt{s}.google.com/vt/lyrs=8bit,m@174000000&hl=en&src=app&x={x}&y={y}&z={z}","name":"quest","attribution":"<a href='http://maps.google.com/'>Google</a> Maps","subdomains":"01"}

quest.png

Hi James,

Just a word of caution, based on my experience with the latest updates. I've had trouble seeing the OS maps since the weekend, so today I did a restore from a full backup I took last week. I'm back to 0.5.2 of the script and OS maps are fine again. Here is the history:

0.5.1 - worked fine

0.5.2 - worked fine, and working again after a restore from a backup taken last week

0.5.3 - not sure if I ever downloaded this one.

0.5.4 - OS map replaced by a grey background, GC icons appear normally.

0.5.5 - OS map replaced by black background GC icons appear normally.

0.5.6 - Downloaded this morning. As 0.5.5

0.5.2 - after restore. Working fine now.

From 0.5.4 - 0.5.6 Google and Open Street Maps worked but the Bing map didn't. I get the feeling that the OS and Bing maps are associated somehow? All the buttons on the top right and lower middle otherwise worked perfectly. I tried clearing Firefox's cache but it didn't help.

I experienced this on Win XP/Firefox at home. Interestingly, my Win XP/Firefox work laptop is running a later version of your script (I don't recall exactly which one now) and has no problems.

I suspect I have a video driver issue or I'd inadvertently blocked a critical url or website on my home PC. The latter would have been reversed with the restore. Could it be connected with the "brightness" feature? Whatever is was, I couldn't work out what. Hence the restore.

Very probably my own stupidity - but posting here in case others experience the same thing.

All the best,

John.

For what it's worth I've just downloaded 0.5.6 and it's working fine for me, the map does go black temporarily when it needs to load new map tiles (e.g. when zooming out), but that is only for a second. I've tested on three Google maps, the OS, the historical OS NPE, and the OSM, OSM Transport and OpenCycle maps.

Martyn.

Hi James,

Just a word of caution, based on my experience with the latest updates. I've had trouble seeing the OS maps since the weekend, so today I did a restore from a full backup I took last week. I'm back to 0.5.2 of the script and OS maps are fine again. Here is the history:

0.5.1 - worked fine

0.5.2 - worked fine, and working again after a restore from a backup taken last week

0.5.3 - not sure if I ever downloaded this one.

0.5.4 - OS map replaced by a grey background, GC icons appear normally.

0.5.5 - OS map replaced by black background GC icons appear normally.

0.5.6 - Downloaded this morning. As 0.5.5

0.5.2 - after restore. Working fine now.

From 0.5.4 - 0.5.6 Google and Open Street Maps worked but the Bing map didn't. I get the feeling that the OS and Bing maps are associated somehow? All the buttons on the top right and lower middle otherwise worked perfectly. I tried clearing Firefox's cache but it didn't help.

I experienced this on Win XP/Firefox at home. Interestingly, my Win XP/Firefox work laptop is running a later version of your script (I don't recall exactly which one now) and has no problems.

I suspect I have a video driver issue or I'd inadvertently blocked a critical url or website on my home PC. The latter would have been reversed with the restore. Could it be connected with the "brightness" feature? Whatever is was, I couldn't work out what. Hence the restore.

I'm not sure what caused your problem, as it has continued to work for me throughout. You are correct that the OS and Bing maps are linked - they come from the same servers. If it recurs, you could check whether the main Bing Maps website works for you.

The brightness feature isn't the problem, since it wasn't present in v0.5.4 when you lost the maps. It is the cause of the background going black though - changing the brightness works by making the map semi-transparent over a black background.

If v0.5.2 is working for you, v0.5.6 should too, but there is no need to upgrade - unless you want the extra features! For future reference, userscripts.org holds previous versions of the script, if you need to revert. There is a link to them at the top of the script's Source Code page. In Firefox you should be able to revert by just installing one of the old versions. In Chrome you have to uninstall first (from Spanner menu/Tools/Extensions), as Chrome doesn't let you down-grade.

Another possibility is the script's configuration data getting corrupted somehow, possibly by using privacy software to wipe the "localStorage" data for geocaching.com. I'll have a look at adding a "reset to default" function to a future version.

GME v0.5.5 is available!

Well, that is all working now, so you can now see aerial photos and more on the geocache listing pages, as well as the main Geocaching Maps page. I've also added in a warning triangle that pops up to tell you if you've zoomed in too far, and won't be able to see caches any more.

As ever, for full details and installation go to userscripts.org

Joy was indeed unconfined when I read this... particularly when the team mellers 1st Lieutenant downloaded v 0.5.5 and showed me how fab it was on his computer. Sadly, when I downloaded v 0.5.6 yesterday, things didn't go so well :blink:

Just to let you know what I'm getting, I'm a Chrome user & I've downloaded 0.5.6. On both the larger map and smaller cache page map I'm not getting any OS map information at all - just pictures of the geocaching icons in front of an entirely black screen (larger map) or entirely grey screen (cache page map). This happens on Bing Map, Bing Aerial View and OS map settings. I understand that this may be due to the Bing links. On all other map selections, I get a display of the map with both icons as normal. It seems to be slightly similar to the problems JF20938 was experiencing. If you require any additional diagnostic information to get to the bottom of the problem, please let me know.

I HAVE managed to get it to work as intended by installing and running Firefox, but as far as Chrome is concerned, it's a non-starter. It would be great if you could get this to work on Chrome, (which it has done until now) but I understand if you decide not to support this browser (as with IE9). Perhaps you could let me/us know which way you decide to go.

In the meantime, I should like downgrade to the previous (working) version which I think may have been 0.5.2 on Chrome so that I can at least use OS maps on the larger map, but I can't see a "previous versions" link on the install page. Can you provide me with a link, just for now?

I prefer to use Chrome as it is a much less clunky browser than firefox and seems to deal with downloads in a much more streamlined fashion... and as always, with this sort of thing, all my faves, links and regularly used stuff is set up on there so it's a human nature thing! :rolleyes:

In the meantime, I should like downgrade to the previous (working) version which I think may have been 0.5.2 on Chrome so that I can at least use OS maps on the larger map, but I can't see a "previous versions" link on the install page. Can you provide me with a link, just for now?

On the main script page, click on the "Source Code" tab near the top, then on the next page there's a green banner with a link saying "There are xxx previous versions of this script", click on that and it will take you here:-

http://userscripts.org/scripts/versions/109145

I have no idea if this is even technically possible.

Could a feature be added which will draw a 0.1 mile circle around each cache? It would be very useful for determining cache placement - I know it's not the full story due to multi-caches etc but it would be an extremely good feature!

Could a feature be added which will draw a 0.1 mile circle around each cache? It would be very useful for determining cache placement - I know it's not the full story due to multi-caches etc but it would be an extremely good feature!

I can have a look at that, but it might be quite complicated to do. The way the website seems to work, the cache icons are just pictures on map tiles - you can't programmatically work out where they are. As you move the mouse over the map, your browser asks the server whether there are any caches near where you pointed and (hopefully) puts a hotspot on the map that corresponds to where the cache icon is. I guess this is done so that your browser only requests details of things you point to - rather than every cache on the map, but it means that the browser doesn't know where the caches are until you start waving your mouse around. That makes it hard to figure out where to put the circles...

What would be much easier to code would be an option on the info tool to drop a circle at an arbitrary location on the map, so you could see if it went near any caches. Would that do the trick?

I've got a new version of GME ready for testing, which is available at http://geo.inge.org.uk/GeocachingMapEnhancements.user.js

This version tries to do the following:

• Improve the appearance of zooming when you are using the brightness control, and fix some related bugs.
  • Make everything look like it did before when you're not using the brightness control (no black background).
  • Allow you to reset to a default configuration when it's gotten fouled up.
  • Add the ability to drop marker circles, as per Mark+Karen's suggestion.

The circles function is part of the info tool (click the i icon, then "Drop marker". Currently the circles can be clicked to show their size and location - however, this means you can't drop one circle centred in another. Is that a problem? Also, I've not yet implemented a way of removing the circles.

I won't put this version onto userscripts.org until I've had some feedback - so if you've had problems with the current version, try this and let me know what you think.

One potential problem is that there is a site update scheduled for Friday morning. I may need to do some more tweaks if that breaks anything...

Thanks for that update. I've just downloaded and installed it, on Chrome, and sadly I'm still getting a blank background on the "larger" map (except for the cache icons), and the smaller map on the cache page is also grey and blank - the same as before on 0.5.6.

That's a slight difference from the previous version, where the map background (the bit which should have roads etc on it) was black!

Should I keep persevering ftb, or abandon Chrome and head for Firefox? Sadly the downgrade isn't as user-friendly as the previous time I installed it as every time I open the larger lap, it asks me if I want to upgrade - which of course I can't and there's no way to turn off the message! Unless you can tell me how?

Thanks for that update. I've just downloaded and installed it, on Chrome, and sadly I'm still getting a blank background on the "larger" map (except for the cache icons), and the smaller map on the cache page is also grey and blank - the same as before on 0.5.6.

That's a slight difference from the previous version, where the map background (the bit which should have roads etc on it) was black!

Should I keep persevering ftb, or abandon Chrome and head for Firefox? Sadly the downgrade isn't as user-friendly as the previous time I installed it as every time I open the larger lap, it asks me if I want to upgrade - which of course I can't and there's no way to turn off the message! Unless you can tell me how?

I think that you must have a problem with the GME configuration, as it works OK in Chrome for me. If you can see the GME icons in the bottom, click on the gear icon, then hit "Reset defaults".

If you can't see the GME icons, you should be able to reset the configuration manually as follows:

1. Make sure Chrome is pointed at Geocaching.com/map/
  2. Press Ctrl-shift-J to get up the Javascript console, and click on the "Console" tab.
  3. In the console, type "delete localStorage.GME_parameters" (without the quotes, and making sure you've got the capital letters correct), then press enter.
  4. Do the same for "delete localStorage.GME_custom".
  5. Reload the maps page.

Hopefully that should kick-start it into working again - let me know what happens.

(For anyone with the same problem using Firefox or Opera, the instructions above should still work, but the console is Ctrl-Shift-K in Firefox, and Ctrl-Shift-I in Opera.)

Every time I open the larger map, it asks me if I want to upgrade - which of course I can't and there's no way to turn off the message! Unless you can tell me how?

If you mean the message about checking settings, just click on the gear (configuration) icon, then OK the settings. Later versions only show the message once... :D

I've got a new version of GME ready for testing, which is available at http://geo.inge.org.uk/GeocachingMapEnhancements.user.js

This version tries to do the following:

• Improve the appearance of zooming when you are using the brightness control, and fix some related bugs.
  • Make everything look like it did before when you're not using the brightness control (no black background).
  • Allow you to reset to a default configuration when it's gotten fouled up.
  • Add the ability to drop marker circles, as per Mark+Karen's suggestion.

FYI just downloaded and had a play on Firefox & Chrome on Windows XP , everything I've tried so far works as expected, both the large map and the embedded map on the cache pages. The drop circles work, and the maps nolonger go black when redrawing the tiles (which is aesthetically easier on the eye!).

So it's thumbs up all round from me, I'll give it a go on my Linux box when I get home but there shouldn't be any difference there.

I think that you must have a problem with the GME configuration, as it works OK in Chrome for me. If you can see the GME icons in the bottom, click on the gear icon, then hit "Reset defaults".

If you can't see the GME icons, you should be able to reset the configuration manually as follows:

1. Make sure Chrome is pointed at Geocaching.com/map/
  2. Press Ctrl-shift-J to get up the Javascript console, and click on the "Console" tab.
  3. In the console, type "delete localStorage.GME_parameters" (without the quotes, and making sure you've got the capital letters correct), then press enter.
  4. Do the same for "delete localStorage.GME_custom".
  5. Reload the maps page.

Hopefully that should kick-start it into working again - let me know what happens.

(For anyone with the same problem using Firefox or Opera, the instructions above should still work, but the console is Ctrl-Shift-K in Firefox, and Ctrl-Shift-I in Opera.)

Marvellous, that seems to have done the trick. :D Not only do I get OS maps on the larger map, I now get the smaller one on the cache page too. Ahhhhh...... all's right with the world again! Thank you so much for your help with that!

(looking forward to having a go with the new circly business too... looks like a sneaky and helpful tool!).

One potential problem is that there is a site update scheduled for Friday morning. I may need to do some more tweaks if that breaks anything...

I'm not sure what (if anything) got updated when the site went down this morning, but the script still seems to be working for me!

I've added a couple more bugfixes to the test version at http://geo.inge.org.uk/GeocachingMapEnhancements.user.js

Did anyone try the "Drop marker" function? Is it useful? Does it work the way you think it should?

I'm not sure what (if anything) got updated when the site went down this morning, but the script still seems to be working for me!

I've added a couple more bugfixes to the test version at http://geo.inge.org.uk/GeocachingMapEnhancements.user.js

Did anyone try the "Drop marker" function? Is it useful? Does it work the way you think it should?

Things seem to be working for me as they were before too, which is good news.

I've given the drop marker thing a go, and wonder if I'm perhaps not clicking in the right place or in the right way as it doesn't work quite how I expected. It seems I'm only able to drop a circle OFFSET from the centre of the icon, otherwise the appropriate menu doesn't actually appear (and remain) if I click dead centre. Therefore the circle I end up with never quite has the icon right in the middle.

I can's seem to see a way to "remove dropped marker either". Otherwise, great.

I've given the drop marker thing a go, and wonder if I'm perhaps not clicking in the right place or in the right way as it doesn't work quite how I expected. It seems I'm only able to drop a circle OFFSET from the centre of the icon, otherwise the appropriate menu doesn't actually appear (and remain) if I click dead centre. Therefore the circle I end up with never quite has the icon right in the middle.

At the moment, I don't seem to be able to stop the site from showing the normal cache popup if you click on a cache. One workaround is to zoom in closer, so the offset from the cache is smaller. If you want to use the circle for spacing out new caches, the other alternative is to try marking your new location, rather than the caches you want to distance it from.

I can's seem to see a way to "remove dropped marker either". Otherwise, great.

Erm, no. I've not written that bit yet! ;) I don't know whether folk would find it more helpful to remove them one at a time, or all at once?

Another trick for the marker is that if you want the center on a post toggle the icon type OFF from the map, then place it. :)

Markers work nicely for me after a bit of testing.

Suggestion though - is it possible to make the options dialogue a little less huge? I often work with my browser not maximized, and with the popup not being centered the in current browser dimensions (other than horizontally), if I open any of the option panels inside, the ok/cancel buttons and such drop off the browser and there's no scroll ability. The only way to get out is to maximize or resize the window. Just a minor annoyance ;)

I think the cog dialogue can be smaller or more compact than it is, or centered to the browser (or pushed to the top) when it's opened, just to add a tiny bit of user friendliness.

Otherwise GME definitely does what it's intended to do. Often makes me wonder why Groundspeak doesn't take some of these features and actually implement them. So many common sense features you'd think they'd have provided by now. *shrug*

Great work, fri! B)

Edited by thebruce0

Erm, no. I've not written that bit yet! ;) I don't know whether folk would find it more helpful to remove them one at a time, or all at once?

You've been doing that pesky eating and sleeping thing again instead, haven't you! ;)

To answer the ponderance.... how about both (I know, I'm just greedy!) Given that F5 would indeed remove them all as Marty says, perhaps "remove one", would be the thing to go for first.

Just a thought, would it be possible to get the "drop marker" menu to appear on a right click, instead of a left click, which would mean the cache details box wouldn't be an issue as it wouldn't appear. Just a thought.

You've been doing that pesky eating and sleeping thing again instead, haven't you! ;)

It's painting the nursery that has really been taking the time... oh, and the day job :o

To answer the ponderance.... how about both (I know, I'm just greedy!) Given that F5 would indeed remove them all as Marty says, perhaps "remove one", would be the thing to go for first.

That should now be working (from the same test link). When you click on a circle, there's now a link to remove it. I won't bother with anything special to remove them all, as I couldn't think of a logical place to put a control to make it happen and the refresh does the trick anyway.

Just a thought, would it be possible to get the "drop marker" menu to appear on a right click, instead of a left click, which would mean the cache details box wouldn't be an issue as it wouldn't appear. Just a thought.

Nope. The cache details box appears anyway, and you get the right-click menu too. And I haven't figured out how to right-click on a tablet yet! :lol:

Suggestion though - is it possible to make the options dialogue a little less huge?

I had a go at that too.

How do you place the circles then?

Click the "i" icon on the toolbar at the bottom, then click somewhere on the map, you get a little drop down menu, choose "drop marker", then put the radius into the dialog box (the default of 0.161km is the minimum cache distance.

Ahh thanks, easy when you know how. That's a brilliant feature which helps when planning a new cache to see if it's far enough away.

This plug in just gets better.

The latest version of the script is now nearly ready. I've fixed a few more bugs, the markers should now be removable, and the search box should work better (finding more results in the right country!)

I've updated the test version at the link in post #79. If I don't spot any more bugs, I'll update it on userscripts.org in the next few days.

Just installed 0.5.6 with Chrome winXP after getting a tip from an event.

Fantastic but I have some problem with map tiles not loading and staying black. They just stick and never load. Seems to be a bing problem as with say OS maps bing sometimes leaves some tiles fuzzy and never finishes loading the full detail.

Failed to find what is going on so any tips on settings would be great or is there some problem with bing as I found a few hints to this effect from searching?

Will be awesome if I can overcome this problem.

I've uploaded GME v0.5.7 to http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/109145 today.

As well as fixing some bugs, this version has the following new features:

• Get spot height elevation data from the info tool
  • Drop marker circles on the map (see earlier posts in this thread)
  • Improved search function

The improved search is worth a mention, as it's easy to overlook. It uses the Geonames service to figure out which country you are looking at, then uses the result to do a search biased to that country. What this means is that if you're looking at England and search for "Birmingham", you get the one in the Midlands, but if you were looking at America, you get the one in Alabama. You can still search for a specific one (e.g. "Birmingham, AL" or "Birmingham England"), but this should give better first-time results more of the time. If the search can't find anything relevant in Geonames, it hands back to the normal search engine, so you can still type in postcodes and other search terms.

Also, you can now type "zoom 10", "z5" etc. in the search box, to zoom in or out to a particular level without having to click through every layer.

Enjoy! :)

I've uploaded GME v0.5.7 to http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/109145 today.

Enjoy! :)

Another really useful addition, now on the offchance that you're bored and running out of ideas, would it be possible to add a feature to draw a line and measure the distance? would be really useful when planning a day out if you could draw a line between a series of caches to measure how far it's going to be.

Another really useful addition, now on the offchance that you're bored and running out of ideas, would it be possible to add a feature to draw a line and measure the distance? would be really useful when planning a day out if you could draw a line between a series of caches to measure how far it's going to be.

OK. It can now do the distance measuring thing.

And you can now search by GC-code from the main map page.

And if you click through from cache pages to the main maps (using the "View Larger Map" link above the map), it should show additional waypoints and corrected coordinates, if present.

If anyone feels like testing: v0.5.8 pre-release version is at http://geo.inge.org.uk/GeocachingMapEnhancements.user.js

OK. It can now do the distance measuring thing. TICK

And you can now search by GC-code from the main map page. TICK

And if you click through from cache pages to the main maps (using the "View Larger Map" link above the map), it should show additional waypoints and corrected coordinates, if present. TICK

If anyone feels like testing: v0.5.8 pre-release version is at http://geo.inge.org.uk/GeocachingMapEnhancements.user.js

Just tried on Firefox/Windows XP, excellent work!

Chrome/Windows XP also works fine.

Edited by MartyBartfast