Now that souvi's are out what is your final opinion.

Coldgears

After a lot of speculation the Souvi's were finally released. Now that people have a way to sample them what do you think of them? Personally I like them, I think it's a great way to add incentives to do things you otherwise wouldn't do, such as visit a park you wouldn't otherwise. I'd like more but they are slowly being added. :laughing:

Complete waste of some lackey's time, that could better be spent improving the website.

or the forums :D

NOW i know what i have to blame when i get a timeout for the zillionth time :D

I sure hope this is considered on topic. The forum issues that have gone on for lord knows how long are only one of the problems they could have addressed with the development time spent on this project. Just take a look at all the things people have been asking for on the feedback site. I can appreciate that GS wants to give us more features. However, it seems to me that they could do a better job by addressing those things that we have actually been asking for.

The question was asked. I answered. Now I am going elsewhere before someone shows up with a brick.

I am mixed. I like having them but I would not miss them if they were gone. I use gsak and badgegen which give me more what I care about. I would rather have a new badge for badgegen than 4 souvenirs. Stats seem more appropriately handled by gsak.

Plus so far the souvenirs seem to be just given to me because I happen to be at the right place at the right time as opposed to something I earned.

Ultimately I would probably prefer the improvements of gctidy incorporated into the website than to have souvenirs.

Complete waste of some lackey's time, that could better be spent improving the website.

NOW i know what i have to blame when i get a timeout for the zillionth time :D

I sure hope this is considered on topic. The forum issues that have gone on for lord knows how long are only one of the problems they could have addressed with the development time spent on this project. Just take a look at all the things people have been asking for on the feedback site. I can appreciate that GS wants to give us more features. However, it seems to me that they could do a better job by addressing those things that we have actually been asking for.

The question was asked. I answered. Now I am going elsewhere before someone shows up with a brick.

off topic: i'm hardly in the forums anymore, has the stick been replaced with a brick? :laughing:

on topic: i think the souvenirs are a nice idea, i wish they would have been developed in the background way longer before releasing them, its kind of frustrating to a certain extent to see just US and Germany only

i would have preferred if they released one for each country in one go

I am mixed. I like having them but I would not miss them if they were gone. I use gsak and badgegen which give me more what I care about. I would rather have a new badge for badgegen than 4 souvenirs. Stats seem more appropriately handled by gsak.

Plus so far the souvenirs seem to be just given to me because I happen to be at the right place at the right time as opposed to something I earned.

Out of curiousity, which ones do you think you didn't earn? From your profile page it looks you found caches in all the states for which you've been given a souvenir. I agree that the use of the mobile app to "earn" a souvenir is a bit liberal but if you've found a cache in a designated souvenir zone you've "earned" a souvenir.

Personally, I like them. The implementation has had a few glitches and I wouldn't mind seeing them rolled out a bit quicker and a bit more equitable in their distribution but that will improve over time (hopefully). I also have 7 of 9 of the U.S. states released so far (and my current home state hasn't been released yet).

My FINAL opinion is that they should not be called "souvis". Ever.

I second this motion.

Well, someone did come up with "veneers" in another thread.

Final opinion? Not bad, actually one of the better ideas they've come up with. Unlike say Waymarking and Wherigo caches. :D I'm not an icon collector, and seriously couldn't care less. Speaking as a North American (which most of us are around here), I think the State, and eventually Province, souvenirs are going to be a big hit with a lot of Geocachers. Just not us whiners in the forums. :D

Edited by Mr.Yuck

NOW i know what i have to blame when i get a timeout for the zillionth time :laughing:

That's crazy man. I have never once been given a time out, and have only been warned once. And that one was complete nonsense. :laughing:

I do believe if you watched one of the lost and found videos (can't remember which one) they have actually hired a couple of graphic artists for the souvi's souvenirs. So I doubt they'd be coding the website. Who knows though, maybe they're multi-talented. :D

I second this motion.

I don't know who that was, but they're brilliant. Rolls right off the tongue.

Actually I thought they called them veeners in the other thread.

I second this motion.

I don't know who that was, but they're brilliant. Rolls right off the tongue.

Actually I thought they called them veeners in the other thread.

Actually, I was the first person that used the term (veeners). When I talk about them I call them "souvenirs" but for some reason when I type the word my hands don't want to put the "i" and the "e" in the right place.

I don't care what we call them. One term is just as silly/appropriate as the other. Just so long as we don't start calling them "Easypeesienirs".

Edited by Castle Mischief

I like 'em.

It's nice to get a little bit of history about the states I've cached in.

I like the artwork and admire the talent of the lackeys who created it.

I think it's pretty rude to to tell the folks who worked on this that they wasted their time.

I think the assumption that you would have gotten something you wanted if this new feature hadn't been developed is just stupid.

I think it's pretty rude to to tell the folks who worked on this that they wasted their time.

I think the assumption that you would have gotten something you wanted if this new feature hadn't been developed is just stupid.

There's a difference of wasted time, and GS's resources better spent on other issues. The lackeys were asked to do a job and overall they did it well (especially the artwork). IMHO I just feel there are more important things that GS could work on. That's just my opinion.

I would appreciate them much, much more if I also got a free geocoin version for each digital veneer* I "earned".

<light bulb comes on!!> Actually, I wonder if any of the geocoin vendors are in the process of designing veneer coins yet?

* actually, I prefer the old misspelling of "veener" (rhymes with beaner) It might be wrong, but it rolls off the tongue better

I would appreciate them much, much more if I also got a free geocoin version for each digital veneer* I "earned".

<light bulb comes on!!> Actually, I wonder if any of the geocoin vendors are in the process of designing veneer coins yet?

* actually, I prefer the old misspelling of "veener" (rhymes with beaner) It might be wrong, but it rolls off the tongue better

Veener is better than veneer but no where near as good as Easypeesienirs!

This is the first time I noticed the two spellings. To be clear "veener" is the correct spelling. Those "veneer" folk are just trying to jump on my coattails.

Veener, veneer, who cares I say Easypeesienir!

I figure if I say it enough it will catch on :D

Releasing is too slow and irregular. I think many cachers will lose their interest in this before all of US souvenirs are released. This should be faster and then cachers should be involved in creating of new souvenirs for special zones. Now it looks similar to coloring maps in statistics. It is not problem to see that I was caching in several states or countries (as I have it in my profile) but special zones like national parks, forests, islands etc, it would be much better.

I like the idea, but not as it is going now.

BTW. I haven´t received souvenirs for S. Carolina yet (after logging several caches there), so it is still not working properly.

BTW. I haven´t received souvenirs for S. Carolina yet (after logging several caches there), so it is still not working properly.

Not sure what's going on there. I did a search for caches in South Carolina, picked on that was found yesterday, then looked at the profile of the last person to find and and saw the souvenir. I haven't found one in SC so I can't tell you if retroactivity is working.

Awhile back I suggested that a separate forum topic for souvenirs should be created given all the different related threads that are going on (with a lot of the same questions being asked) but it was suggested by a lackey that the feedback site be used for any issues. Seems like there's quite a bit of discussion already and as more are released there might be a lot more. Anyone else thing a separate forum topic should be created.

Awhile back I suggested that a separate forum topic for souvenirs should be created given all the different related threads that are going on (with a lot of the same questions being asked) but it was suggested by a lackey that the feedback site be used for any issues. Seems like there's quite a bit of discussion already and as more are released there might be a lot more. Anyone else thing a separate forum topic should be created.

The Feedback site seems like a decent place to bring up suggestions for improvements, but for bugs and glitches I don't think it works very well. I still stop in occasionally to vote on the issues of the day (API, cache ratings, profile statistics, format improvements, Virtuals, etc.) but my enthusiasm for bringing actual bugs and problems to that system has fallen off a lot.

It may simply be my flawed perception, but I used to feel like bug and glitch threads on the forums were monitored pretty well by Groundspeak folks.

I think they're FUN and that they were intended to be fun. :laughing:

Zero angst from me, but all the angst over them has been a valuable source of smug superior feelings for me, so thanks to the whiners for that. :D

+1 Sounds like a nasty skin condition. :D

I cannot tell if mine was retroactive or from logging. I believe retro becayse I did not see the souvi screen after I logged a cache (like I did with the 10/10/10 veneer).

I think they're FUN and that they were intended to be fun. :D

You know, you are right! I just went over to my profile and played with them for about ten-fifteen minutes and I had a blast! Did you know that if you click on one, it takes you to another page with some information and another picture, and that if you click the back button, it takes you back to your veeners page? I could play with those things for HOURS!

:D

I still have absolutely no clue on what souvenirs are supposed to do. Why would I want one??? If they haven't even got out to all of America yet, what hope have we foreigners got?

So far I think only one souvenir unique to UK has been released and that's the one for this year's UK Mega event which took place in Perth, Scotland. Many UK cachers will also have the 10/10/10 souvenir for attending one of the celebration events held in May.

I think the souvenirs concept is OK. I might get a bit more excited by them when there's a different one to collect for every UK county. :D

MrsB

I have to admit that I ran out after work on 101010 to find a cache so I could get that souvenir for the experience of it.

Didn't do anything for me. I liked being part of the record breaking cache day more (did we beat the old record). But I'm not really a collector either. The artwork is nice

Now I don't care about them at all. Haven't looked in that tab since 101010.

They kinda feel like a made up holiday, like Valentines Day. Just a gimmick that's pretty meaningless in the scheme of the game.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay