Now that souvi's are out what is your final opinion.

Coldgears

Since 3 of the 5 State souvenirs we've received are "wrong" due to logging traveling caches that've gone to rest in states where we've not cached, I'm not overly impressed. If geocaching had a way for us to "fix" these like I've done in GSAK to get the maps posted on our profile it would be an improvement. I much prefer the maps anyway.

If people are getting enjoyment from them, then they qualify as a good thing. The folks that don't like them can not-click on that tab and never see them.

Remember: Look for the fun.

That's an interesting point - traveling caches. I was under the impression these weren't supposed to exist, but find there are a few of them still going about. I even logged one at GW8 and it periodically makes a hash of my cache stats. Well, they're only numbers. :)

Old ones are grandfathered. I have one that died over in Africa in the desert. It really kills my distance stats and such. I've thought about changing my find to a note and then logging a find on one of my own caches with the same date to see if it will fix them. I've found a few and don't mind the stats being a little off, but that one cache really kills my stats.

Remember: Look for the fun.

ABSOLUTELY! Thank you. Life is what you make it.
Interesting. My understanding is that they started by awarding the Project APE souvenir to those who found Mission 9: Tunnel of Light, but will eventually award it to those who found other Project APE caches. I can't point to anything official that says one way or the other though....
All I'm really going on is this:
Addisonbr,

Presently the Project APE souvenir is for mission 9, to be a part of the triad. We will keep you posted if other Project APE caches receive souvenirs in the future.

I hope this helps.

There hasn't been any further clarification. It does say "Presently", but the responses I've seen on these boards from lackeys or moderators haven't given any indication that a rollout to other APE finders is in the cards. (Some folks who didn't receive the souvenir seem pretty upset, so there have been a few opportunities to give an indication otherwise.)
He very clearly stated that they might have souvis for other ape caches in the future. Be patient.

Right, what I'm talking about is niraD's query about this souvenir being awarded to folks to found other APE caches. It sounds like it's somewhat definitive that won't be the case, and that this souvenir is Mission 9 only, now and in the future.

I agree that it's still possible that new souvenirs will be created for the other APE caches later.

Go caching in an area covered by a souvi. For instance, you've cached in New Hampshire, so you have that souvi.

Exactly what I did in S. Carolina. I have 10 caches found there, but still no souvenir. Posted problem at feedback forum and nothing, Ask GS directly via their "contact us" form ans so far nothing. I hope they help me (and also themselves) with this possible bug. Otherwise it looks like I should first cache somewhere, before the souvenir is released, to get it. :anibad::mad:

I was more interested in souvenirs at the beginning. But since logging a souvenir cache and not getting the souvenir and getting a nice reply to my trouble report, but no solution, I am now uninterested.

Did the nice reply say something like 'we're workin on it' or 'thanks for letting us know'? If so, I suspect that you will soon get your souvi. Be patient.

I was more interested in souvenirs at the beginning. But since logging a souvenir cache and not getting the souvenir and getting a nice reply to my trouble report, but no solution, I am now uninterested.

Hi aurght,

I'm not sure why the system didn't award you the souvenir, but I've corrected the issue in the database.

Go caching in an area covered by a souvi. For instance, you've cached in New Hampshire, so you have that souvi.

Exactly what I did in S. Carolina. I have 10 caches found there, but still no souvenir. Posted problem at feedback forum and nothing, Ask GS directly via their "contact us" form ans so far nothing. I hope they help me (and also themselves) with this possible bug. Otherwise it looks like I should first cache somewhere, before the souvenir is released, to get it. :anibad::mad:

I hadn't heard of any other cases of this occurring but that doesn't mean that GS shouldn't try to figure out why you didn't get the SC souvenir and get back to you. It's called customer support.

I just got the RI, NC, and Hessen (Germany) souvenirs but those were all retroactive finds. The Hessen one is my first international souvenir (awarded because I found a virtual at the Frankfurt airport earlier this year. I've now got 13 souvenirs.

We got our 10/10/10 souvenir on 10/10/10, the rest have all been retroactive awards. As far as I'm aware, we've gotten all of the ones we should have so far.

9 more German Bundeslaender pending for us, plus, what, 13 more states and D.C., plus whatever they're doing for countries outside the U.S. and Germany.

I hadn't heard of any other cases of this occurring but that doesn't mean that GS shouldn't try to figure out why you didn't get the SC souvenir and get back to you. It's called customer support.

Just waiting for any solution (I have already contacted GS about this), I can´t do more. I believe they fix that, because this is the purpose of souvenirs - visiting zones - logging caches - getting souvenirs. The retroactive awarding is just question of certain time when all souvenirs are released. After that being awarded by souvenir after logging cache should work without any problems, because it will be the only way how to get them.

k-lord, you should now have the South Carolina souvenir. I'm not sure what might have happened to prevent you from getting it (all of our tests logging a find in SC are granting one), but at least your situation has a resolution now.

Big THANKS to Moun10Bike. :P Thank you very much, I am glad I got this nice one finally.

After a lot of speculation the Souvi's were finally released. Now that people have a way to sample them what do you think of them? Personally I like them, I think it's a great way to add incentives to do things you otherwise wouldn't do, such as visit a park you wouldn't otherwise. I'd like more but they are slowly being added. :huh:

I just received an email from Groundspeak saying, "Congratulations! You have been awarded the Vermont State Souvenir. This Souvenir was retroactively awarded to you based on your Geocaching.com find history."

(I was in Vermont in July.)

When I go to my profile and click "Souvenirs," none are displayed, so I don't even know what it looks like online.

I'm underwhelmed. Caching is its own motivation, isn't it?

Edited by chasclifton