the usual suspects

dukeofurl01

In the town where I live, there is 5 people that get ALL the FTFs. I'm kind of tired of it. Unless one comes out in front of my house, there's no way I could get one. I can't even get one a quarter mile from my house because they all live in the same area.

Would it be allowed to have a cache and specify that these 5 people can not be FTF on the cache?

In the town where I live, there is 5 people that get ALL the FTFs. I'm kind of tired of it. Unless one comes out in front of my house, there's no way I could get one. I can't even get one a quarter mile from my house because they all live in the same area.

Would it be allowed to have a cache and specify that these 5 people can not be FTF on the cache?

good luck with that.

Wouldn't that kind of sap any of reward* out of getting FTF if you (or whoever) only got it because you made it so those that were best at it were not able to compete?

*That said, while its true that we can all play this the way we want to, I personally am totally against turning geocaching into nothing more than a race. I think it cheapens it.

My advice is to change your perspective.

Rather than getting wrapped up in who is getting "all" the FTFs on caches, create your own experience or challenge.

For example, try to see how many caches you can be the fifth to log.

Or try to see how many caches you can find that take YOU to a PLACE for the FIRST time.

Or try to see how many caches you can find that show you a different side of a place you have been to before.

You can help out other cachers to get FTF on some of your caches.

Place 10 caches in different parts of the city, ask the reviewer to publish them all at once on a Saturday morning.

The FTF hounds will most likely be out caching already. Perhaps together. Even if they get the published notifications they wont be able to get all 10 caches at once and hopefully you have helped five others out.

That won't help you out though, so as for you just know this.

If you aren't FTF you don't have to worry about bad coordinates, finding out that the cache isn't really on public property and has permission. Instead of rushing to find the cache you can enjoy the walk and see the thing that the cache owner is trying to show you. Take time to enjoy the cache instead of worrying about the blank log.

I'm with everyone else. Enjoy the cache, and not the status.

Those narrow minded people who onlywant the FTF's, of which we have one in my area, don't worry about them because they don't really LOVE the game.

You could also place a cache, and put it in an area COVERED in poison ivy, and see how badly they want that FTF! LOL

If you are wanting to give others a chance at FTF, just put out a mountain top cache. I guarentee (money back, would you beleive) that those 5 FTF hounds wont be the first to find this new one.

Those narrow minded people who onlywant the FTF's, of which we have one in my area, don't worry about them because they don't really LOVE the game.

You could also place a cache, and put it in an area COVERED in poison ivy, and see how badly they want that FTF! LOL

I hope you don't think all the players who like the FTF race are narrow minded. :yikes: There are a lot of them around here, and everyone of them love the rest of the game also.

To the OP. I don't care about getting FTF myself, and have never gone out hoping to get one. But if it bothers you maybe you would like that part of the game.

Rather then complaining about it, try talking to others and learning how they beat you out. You can then hope to join the RACE and beat some of them out.

If it was easy and everyone could get a lot of FTFs there would be no FTF discussion. No one would care.

As to your question; No, it would not be allowed. If it were allowed, the FTF would be cheapened by your efforts.

If, for some reason, you decide you want to turn what is supposed to be a fun, light hearted activity into a competition, you certainly have that right, but don't expect the rest of the community to bow to such silliness. We realize that some folks simply can't go day to day without injecting some kind of "I'm better than you" foolishness into all their activities, and we generally just roll our eyes and giggle at them behind their backs.

Getting FTFs is fairly easy, if you follow certain steps:

1 ) Get a phone that can receive emails.

2 ) Sign up for instant notification.

3 ) Have a cache bag ready, in your vehicle.

4 ) As soon as your phone dings, hit the road, punching in coords as you go.

5 ) Eventually, what you covet will be yours.

That would be pretty un-cool to do that. :yikes::sad::laughing:

Sounds like you need to step up your FTF game, but if you are that upset about it maybe you should forget about trying to get them at all if it bothers you that much.

Besides if a cache was put out that forbid those 5 from going after it, and lets say you got the FTF how good would you feel about it, when you know deep down you had a unfair advantage. :lol:

I have a lot of experience with FTFs PM me privately and I would be happy to help you out as far as stepping up your game, but don't cry about it.

Scubasonic

If is allowed, it would kind of cheapen the FTF. What if you were running in track events and the same 5 people kept finishing ahead of you. If those 5 runners were held out of the next race so you cold get a chance to win, would that win really mean anything to you?

But it's not allowed, so it's a moot point.

Just because you do not like the FTF experience, does not mean that the ones that do are Narrow Minded seems to me you are the Narrow Minded one to make a statement like that.

That's what I like about Geocaching is there are many ways to play depending on what part of Geocaching you like. But there always those that if you don't play the same way that they do, or have the same views as them then you are Narrow Minded, or something much worse. Play the FTF game if you like, and enjoy it but "if you can't take the heat, stay out of the fire".

Scubasonic

Boxcars has the best advice. I did the same thing here in town. My friends (Texaslibra) are known to be the FTF hounds in town....at least in Ft. Worth. I actually beat her and her family one one FTF run and we became friends. This, in turn, led me to meet other FTF hounds in other cities and now we're all a friendly group of loose knit FTF hunters. We like meeting up at caches and shooting the breeze afterwards as long as there isn't another one to find down the road!

If you are wanting to give others a chance at FTF, just put out a mountain top cache.

Interestingly, it would seem that the OP (along with a few others) did just that, last November.

And the cache currently does not have any find logs.

GC1T9HP

Perfect! I have 2 like that (mountian top with no finds). Not sure what he is winning about then (or any of the locals either). If someone realy wants a FTF, it appears to be right there waiting for them.

As to your question; No, it would not be allowed. If it were allowed, the FTF would be cheapened by your efforts.

If, for some reason, you decide you want to turn what is supposed to be a fun, light hearted activity into a competition, you certainly have that right, but don't expect the rest of the community to bow to such silliness. We realize that some folks simply can't go day to day without injecting some kind of "I'm better than you" foolishness into all their activities, and we generally just roll our eyes and giggle at them behind their backs.

1 ) Get a phone that can receive emails.

My tweek to that list is as follows

1 ) Get a phone that can receive emails or textes.

Note: if your phone doesn't do e-mail, but just txt, have the notification sent to the appropriate e-mail address. google will give you the correct address, but is it something like <phonenumber>@messaging.sprintpcs.com. check out this link for more info

Note: if your phone doesn't do e-mail, but just txt, have the notification sent to the appropriate e-mail address. google will give you the correct address, but is it something like <phonenumber>@messaging.sprintpcs.com. check out this link for more info

I thought about that before I had a phone that did email. The problem is that a notification has a LOT of extra unnecessary info, such as a link to the reviewers profile, and txt msgs are very limited in the number of characters, so if a notification came in as txt messages, each one would take like 40 txt messages.

I think what I'm gonna do is make a challenge puzzle cache, where the goal is to be the 10th to find. But it occurred to me that probably nobody is going to try and find this one.

I thought about that before I had a phone that did email. The problem is that a notification has a LOT of extra unnecessary info, such as a link to the reviewers profile, and txt msgs are very limited in the number of characters, so if a notification came in as txt messages, each one would take like 40 txt messages.

If you have unlimited incomming txt, who cares? Anything for the FTF right? Then just look it up on your pc. Most phones can do e-mail.

FTF's are important to me and HIGHLY disagree that it cheapens the sport or makes me narrow minded. But I also don't let FTF run my life and I certainly don't worry about it. If I am not first, I just sit back and wait for the next one. Worrying about it, is, well, lame.

I like the suggestion by one to find some other accomplishment to tackle if you don't have FTF potential. Not a jab, just my opinion.

Hear, hear! And why stop there?

... it seems that the same 2 or 3 people keep getting the highest academic scores in the local high school

... the same local businesses seem to be making most of the money

... the local sports team has the same most valuable players

... the (whatever/whoever your jealous of here)

Where is the equality??!!!!

Yeah, lets put a stop to folk who work harder, play harder, or simply try harder from getting all the accolades/profits/rewards/results/etc.

P.S. In my 3500+ finds I've never logged a "FTF", which is not to say I've never been the first to find and log a cache.

In my area there are two or three people that are routinely out looking for a cache as soon as it is posted. That's ok by me, they (the caches) aren't usually all the interesting, but the logs these people write up are. So I get a chuckle out of it and don't have to worry about running around in the dark when I should be in bed or on my way to work.

Instead of trying to compete, I've created my own FTF game; I like to look for caches that haven't logged a find in a while, usually three months. This past weekend I logged a find on an eight part multi that hadn't been found since Nov of 2008. The green jeep TB that was placed there in Jan 2008 was still there and is now back on the road. That was a great experience for my wife and I and, I think, just as fulfilling as a real FTF would be.

I was feeling wordy today, I'll go back to lurking now. ;)

Other than geocaching somewhere with high saturation I totally want to observe one of these FTF races. Not participate but observe. FTF just isn't that big of a deal where I am. Caches can sit for awhile with no one looking if no one has time.

I'll go look for a cache if it's in the area and appears interesting. But usually I let other people do the beta testing.

You can help out other cachers to get FTF on some of your caches.

Place 10 caches in different parts of the city, ask the reviewer to publish them all at once on a Saturday morning.

The FTF hounds will most likely be out caching already. Perhaps together. Even if they get the published notifications

they wont be able to get all 10 caches at once
and hopefully you have helped five others out.

That won't help you out though, so as for you just know this.

If you aren't FTF you don't have to worry about bad coordinates, finding out that the cache isn't really on public property and has permission. Instead of rushing to find the cache you can enjoy the walk and see the thing that the cache owner is trying to show you. Take time to enjoy the cache instead of worrying about the blank log.

I don't know about that. I got 46 caches one night and they were 30 miles from my house.

PI wouldn't stop the FTF hounds in my area. It never does.

The FTFers in my town seem really cool! And REALLY into caching. i'm pretty sure a few of the teams are retired so that's their advantage! More power to em! However, the FTF leaders in my town go up north for the summer so i got a chance to snag one recently! Hooray. It was ok. i didn't run into any other cachers which is what i was hoping for. But very fun to get FTF nonetheless. i love tha when i hide a new cache, people rush out to it. Makes me smile when they they log and say a few teams were there looking and chatting.

I like the suggestion by one to find some other accomplishment to tackle if you don't have FTF potential. Not a jab, just my opinion.

I find the suggestion that someone that doesn't have lots of FTFs is lacking some sort of skill arbitrarily defined as "FTF potential" rather insulting.

The way I see it, acquiring lots of FTFs in more a matter of opportunity combined with a desire to find them. It's a lot easier to rack up FTFs (or finds in general) when you live in an area where there are dozens of new caches placed close to your home coordinates in a month then it is when there are only a dozen or so new caches over a six month period. It's a lot easier to get a FTF for someone that isn't working full time with a full time family then it is for someone working part time or is retired and may not have any family obligations.

Some people just don't care about getting FTF and, frankly, I'm glad that I live in an area where this is by far the rule and not the exception.

You might try to convince some of your local hiders to place multi-caches or puzzles. In my area I have found the FTF hounds usually ignore those, especially the puzzles.

In my area, we have a whole different set of FTF hounds just for the puzzles. (I'm one of them.)

Same here! It's kind of cool to see how fast they solved and logged our 5 star puzzles... amazing! I think that every place has the usual suspects. If you want to get an FTF, I can understand the frustration, but just remember that when you find a new cache, it's the first time you find it, so you're always getting an FTF, even if you aren't the first to log the book. ;)

In my area there are two or three people that are routinely out looking for a cache as soon as it is posted. That's ok by me, they (the caches) aren't usually all the interesting, but the logs these people write up are. So I get a chuckle out of it and don't have to worry about running around in the dark when I should be in bed or on my way to work.

Instead of trying to compete, I've created my own FTF game; I like to look for caches that haven't logged a find in a while, usually three months. This past weekend I logged a find on an eight part multi that hadn't been found since Nov of 2008. The green jeep TB that was placed there in Jan 2008 was still there and is now back on the road. That was a great experience for my wife and I and, I think, just as fulfilling as a real FTF would be.

I was feeling wordy today, I'll go back to lurking now. :)

Likes this :laughing:

When I spoke of the narrow mindedness of FTF hounds, merely meant the person in my area. If he is not the FTF, or does not have a chance for it he will not even attempt it. If he happens to be 2nd he usually leaves a post that is not friendly. Therefore, in my opinion, this person is narrow minded. If you want to play that way, it is your choice, but do NOT bash the CO. Especially if you yourself do not take the time, and great effort in placing a cache.

QUOTE(celticsun33 @ Sep 12 2010, 11:39 AM)

I hope you don't think all the players who like the FTF race are narrow minded. There are a lot of them around here, and everyone of them love the rest of the game also.

To the OP. I don't care about getting FTF myself, and have never gone out hoping to get one. But if it bothers you maybe you would like that part of the game.

Rather then complaining about it, try talking to others and learning how they beat you out. You can then hope to join the RACE and beat some of them out.

If it was easy and everyone could get a lot of FTFs there would be no FTF discussion. No one would care.

I think what I'm gonna do is make a challenge puzzle cache, where the goal is to be the 10th to find. But it occurred to me that probably nobody is going to try and find this one.

Looks like the OP has come up with a possible solution to slow those local FTF'ers down. :laughing: