Not logging you finds in time

jellis

well, if you get to a cache and the physical log book has sigs in it... you weren't the ftf.

Don't see why it would bother anyone if said ftf didn't log it for a while...

I think this is more about the ftf that signs really tiny on back of log and doesn't log for a day or so to make people think ftf is still open.

Not all people log online, some only after a few months. Why should it bother anyone? FTF people should stop complaining about all kinds of scenario's where they arrived at the cache and were not the FTF. It's the main part of your little game, so stop whining if you don't win all the time.

well, if you get to a cache and the physical log book has sigs in it... you weren't the ftf.

Don't see why it would bother anyone if said ftf didn't log it for a while...

I think this is more about the ftf that signs really tiny on back of log and doesn't log for a day or so to make people think ftf is still open.

that happens? well never mind then... that's just weird.

I'm one of those guys who don't log my finds/dnfs/notes right away. Usually I log within a week, but once I logged online 2.5 months after finding the caches. When the caches I visit receive on average 5 visits/year, logging late shouldn't bother anyone. If I'm FTF, or I retrieve/drop a trackable, or when the next finder logs online before me, I hurry submitting my logs.

I'm one of those guys who don't log my finds/dnfs/notes right away. Usually I log within a week, but once I logged online 2.5 months after finding the caches. When the caches I visit receive on average 5 visits/year, logging late shouldn't bother anyone. If I'm FTF, or I retrieve/drop a trackable, or when the next finder logs online before me, I hurry submitting my logs.

How do you know if someone has logged online?

How can a late log affect your experience with geocaching? Or have you put something into geocaching, that not belong there? Such as competition?

Now, there's nothing wrong with adding a little competition to anything, just as long as it's the 'friendly' variety. :laughing:

How do you know if someone has logged online?

Don't know about DJ, but I look at the cache page and read all the logs! :laughing:

I don't know if people realize they can adjust the date for the log... so it falls in the right spot in the timeline at least as far as the day goes if not for the sequence.

Doug 7rxc

Now, there's nothing wrong with adding a little competition to anything, just as long as it's the 'friendly' variety

It isn't always friendly. I recently published a cache and you had to search in the micro containers (there were only 15) in the ammo can to find the log. The person who claimed FTF didn't bother to find the log but just wrote on a loose object in the cache. I sent her a private note saying that I didn't consider her find legitimate (GC quidelines say specifically that you must sign the log) and while I would leave the log I wouldn't give her credit for the FTF on the webpage. The hissy fit tirade that followed was a sight to see. She modified her post a couple of times with her venom (which I left for all to see and she eventually figured it was more about her than me) and then deleted it entirely. She was really upset because she had called in sick to go get it.

Not that person needs mental help. While most aren't like that there are some who take this FTF too seriously.

Now, there's nothing wrong with adding a little competition to anything, just as long as it's the 'friendly' variety

It isn't always friendly. I recently published a cache and you had to search in the micro containers (there were only 15) in the ammo can to find the log. The person who claimed FTF didn't bother to find the log but just wrote on a loose object in the cache. I sent her a private note saying that I didn't consider her find legitimate (GC quidelines say specifically that you must sign the log) and while I would leave the log I wouldn't give her credit for the FTF on the webpage. The hissy fit tirade that followed was a sight to see. She modified her post a couple of times with her venom (which I left for all to see and she eventually figured it was more about her than me) and then deleted it entirely. She was really upset because she had called in sick to go get it.

Not that person needs mental help. While most aren't like that there are some who take this FTF too seriously.

:laughing: WOW. It boggles my mind sometimes at the energy people will put into arguing petty stuff.

SN: I may use that cache idea on my next hide! :laughing:

:laughing: WOW. It boggles my mind sometimes at the energy people will put into arguing petty stuff.

SN: I may use that cache idea on my next hide! :laughing:

A container hidden in a container full of containers has been done many times. 15 I would probably search for the log. 100, no way. I'd just log my find the same way I always do it, with a note. If you felt the need to delete it, oh well. Won't change my count any. :laughing:

Now most of you I am sure log your finds probably within the same day. And if you were FTF you would log it as soon as you can. But what about cachers who rather not log their finds for months including FTFs? What is your opinion?

Travelling on a months-long trip. A perfect opportunity to cache. Not everywhere has internet access, not everywhere is cheap enough to be sitting for an hour logging caches, and you don't necessarily have a lot of time. Logging caches is a lower priority than emailing home, twittering or facebooking so your loved-ones back home know you are still alive.

Travelling. Just one of many reasons.

I rarely log the same day. I still have one Earthcache yet-to-log. The excuse there is coordinating photo on my camera with the non-bluetooth antiquated PC at work.

Yeah, okay, I'm being lazy on that one.

FTF and regular logs being late dont bother me. What does is when they take a trakable and dont log it. Like today I spent 2 hrs climing rocks and when I got to the cache the coin I was after was not there and the cache has not been visited for over 2 weeks but it is listed as beeing there. :lol:

Now most of you I am sure log your finds probably within the same day. And if you were FTF you would log it as soon as you can. But what about cachers who rather not log their finds for months including FTFs? What is your opinion?

Travelling on a months-long trip. A perfect opportunity to cache. Not everywhere has internet access, not everywhere is cheap enough to be sitting for an hour logging caches, and you don't necessarily have a lot of time. Logging caches is a lower priority than emailing home, twittering or facebooking so your loved-ones back home know you are still alive.

I rarely log the same day. I still have one Earthcache yet-to-log. The excuse there is coordinating photo on my camera with the non-bluetooth antiquated PC at work.

A bit off topic but what happened to us? We used to leave the house for days or weeks without being in touch. In the seventies I went to the grand canyon. I think I called home twice in over a month. Now everyone feels they need to be in instant communication 24/7.

A bit off topic but what happened to us? We used to leave the house for days or weeks without being in touch. In the seventies I went to the grand canyon. I think I called home twice in over a month. Now everyone feels they need to be in instant communication 24/7.

I think that it's called co-dependence. Enabled by modern technology.

Some of it I am sure is due to living in a competitive world economy. However I am convinced that the majority of this fantasy need to be in constant communication is significant co-dependence.

Thankfully The Team is not afflicted..

Edited by Team Cotati

Here's a good one for you. I got started geocaching in 2008 in the "valley" in southern Texas, around Falcon lake. My wife and I found 3 caches and marked them found on our GPS. Life got in the way and I completely forgot about them. Two years later I was gonna clean out the memory in my GPS and found the "found" files for those three caches. I guess I didn't realize I had never logged them, so anyway I logged them two years later! Is that bad? Not in my opinion, they are MY cache finds and if I want to log them I can and If I don't they are still mine, shouldn't affect anyone else.

I log my finds as soon as possible. Sometimes what is possible is a matter of days. I had a FTF that took me 3 days to log because that was how long it took me to get home.

What I don't get are those who don't log their finds at all because they are "too busy". I've met them. I don't buy the fact that you have the time to spend an afternoon of geocaching but you don't have 2 minutes to log your find.

What galls me though (and I'm not a FTF hound at all) are those who get a FTF but won't log it promptly just to toy with their fellow geocachers. THAT is wrong.

Edited by briansnat

this bothers me, but especially because some of these cachers have removed trackables and then they are placed somewhere else before they are even logged as removed! Oh the headache with trackable and lazy loggers! Ugh!

We log within the hour if we aren't able to log on the fly on the iPhone.

I don't keep a running list of my FTF's and if a new cache appears near me I usually give it a week or two before attempting to allow the FTF to go to those who care about them. A few years ago I took a road trip and a couple of thousand miles away (much to my surprise) I made a FTF. I had no internet access so it was 2 weeks later after I returned home before I could log it. Otherwise I do try and log my finds as soon as possible. I like to tell stories of the interesting finds and I want to get that story out while it's fresh in my mind.

Many of my hides take a rather long hike or requires some climbing, wading, ect. so finds are not common. This last week I had a couple of new logs on my hides. They waited over 2 years to log the finds. None of this brothers me. This is a fun activity and we each enjoy it in our own ways.

It isn't always friendly. I recently published a cache and you had to search in the micro containers (there were only 15) in the ammo can to find the log. The person who claimed FTF didn't bother to find the log but just wrote on a loose object in the cache. I sent her a private note saying that I didn't consider her find legitimate (GC quidelines say specifically that you must sign the log)

I have to disagree with your call on this one. Just because the person didn't sign YOUR log, they did find a cache and signed a log, the point of which is to prove that they were there and that they found the cache. She found it first, so she was the first to find. Not that tough to figure out. Edited by knowschad
It isn't always friendly. I recently published a cache and you had to search in the micro containers (there were only 15) in the ammo can to find the log. The person who claimed FTF didn't bother to find the log but just wrote on a loose object in the cache. I sent her a private note saying that I didn't consider her find legitimate (GC quidelines say specifically that you must sign the log)
I have to disagree with your call on this one. Just because the person didn't sign YOUR log, they did find a cache and signed a log, the point of which is to prove that they were there and that they found the cache. She found it first, so she was the first to find. Not that tough to figure out.

One way to argue this is to say that the cache is the film can with the log, not the ammo can, so that person did not find the cache.

Just realized that this has little to do with the thread topic, so let me add that while delayed logging can be a small nuisance, even when done with malicious intent, it is not something I have any control over, so I don't see the point of getting upset over it. For me personally, I make sure I log as early as possible, when my memory of the find is still fresh.

Edited by Chrysalides

I have to disagree with your call on this one. Just because the person didn't sign YOUR log, they did find a cache and signed a log, the point of which is to prove that they were there and that they found the cache. She found it first, so she was the first to find. Not that tough to figure out.

"Geocaches can be logged online as Found once the physical log has been signed."

The guidelines say the log, not a log. The word "the" means there's just one and it's the one the CO provided. Putting a piece of paper in an arbitrary place does not make it the log. With your point of view I could just throw down a micro with my own log sheet and then claim a found instead of a DNF. Most CO's would be seriously peeved about that.

Back on topic, I'm behind on my logging for the past week. We hit some pretty difficult caches and I want to spend some time writing a decent log entry with photos for them.

My opinion is that if you get to a cache and yours is not the FTF sign the log, Log it online and move who cares if the FTFer ever logs online they were the FTF no matter what.

Scubasonic

What galls me though (and I'm not a FTF hound at all) are those who get a FTF but won't log it promptly just to toy with their fellow geocachers. THAT is wrong.

There is someone who does this in my area. A really nice Father and Son team, and I have no freaking clue why they do it. It's not like there haven't been dozens of wisecracks about it on cache pages, and it is obvious it has ticked of many FTF hounds in the area. I couldn't care less about FTF like BrianSnat I am quoting, but as an outside observer, I too feel this is "wrong". Run to your computer and log this thing as fast as you ran out of the house to find it. :lol:

:rolleyes: WOW. It boggles my mind sometimes at the energy people will put into arguing petty stuff.

SN: I may use that cache idea on my next hide! :anibad:

A container hidden in a container full of containers has been done many times. 15 I would probably search for the log. 100, no way. I'd just log my find the same way I always do it, with a note. If you felt the need to delete it, oh well. Won't change my count any. :lol:

How about 3000? :rolleyes:

a 55 gallon plastic drum filled with 3000 35mm film cannisters and one has the log.

cant remember which thread i saw that one in. :anibad:

not a bad call at all, we have a cache around here that has a decoy, the log is not in the box but in a pen that is in the box

every single person that logs a find and says there was no logbook and they signed some random piece of paper gets their log deleted

not a bad call at all, we have a cache around here that has a decoy, the log is not in the box but in a pen that is in the box

every single person that logs a find and says there was no logbook and they signed some random piece of paper gets their log deleted

I can grok the situation with the 15 film cans / find the log thing. You'd open up the cache and, with a groan of dismay / amusement / irritation (depending on your own proclivities), you'd realize you were facing a needle in a haystack situation, so just get on with it and don't try to skirt the issue with a throw-down log.

But the log-in-a-pen thing seems a little much. Is there any sort of clue or hint, anything on the cache description page, to indicate something this sneaky is going on? Because otherwise it seems to take advantage of the kindness of cachers. I know if I opened a cache and there was no log, I'd break out some of the paper I've learned to carry with me and make a new one, and feel a warm, helpful glow about it. To get home, log online, and then get a "Na-na-na! Deleting your log 'cause you didn't sign the *real* logbook! HA ha!" message would feel very unpleasant, even hurtful.

Just my opinion.

--Q

I log mine as soon as is practical. Sometimes that means a couple of days if I am travelling or other circumstances. I don't do it to annoy anybody or toy with them - life is just that way sometimes. On the rare occasion I get a FTF - I will log it promptly or forego it.

I have 2 new caches out, 1 of them for almost 2 weeks without a find now. Nothing hard about it - just a little wildlife area a few miles from the nearest town. I suspect it has been found but not logged online yet - I may drop by to see later today. There isn't always much of a FTF competition around here. The other has been out for a week but it is much more rural.

I generally try to log the same day, I've gone up to about a week, but thats pretty rare. If a TB is involved, I'll always log those same day if possible.

On the other hand, my wife is more than a year behind in logging. She's up to 4/2009 (no tb's involved). Some of the caches she hasn't logged yet have even been archived. She's probably about 130 logs behind.

:anibad: WOW. It boggles my mind sometimes at the energy people will put into arguing petty stuff.

SN: I may use that cache idea on my next hide! :anibad:

A container hidden in a container full of containers has been done many times. 15 I would probably search for the log. 100, no way. I'd just log my find the same way I always do it, with a note. If you felt the need to delete it, oh well. Won't change my count any. :lol:

How about 3000? :rolleyes:

a 55 gallon plastic drum filled with 3000 35mm film cannisters and one has the log.

cant remember which thread i saw that one in. :anibad:

Well now. If I had some time. And perhaps was in a devious mood. I might just print up 3000 official looking logs and stuff one in each and every one of those film cans. I can see it now. "I signed all 3000 logs, do I get 3000 smilies?" :rolleyes:

Well now. If I had some time. And perhaps was in a devious mood. I might just print up 3000 official looking logs and stuff one in each and every one of those film cans. I can see it now. "I signed all 3000 logs, do I get 3000 smilies?" :rolleyes:

ooh you can be really "evil"...if you use the white film canisters it will be very clear if there is a log in it

we found a cache like that, had a lot of film canister, we searched to find the one that you could see its not empty

you can put a piece of paper in each one saying "try again" :lol:

I can grok the situation with the 15 film cans / find the log thing. You'd open up the cache and, with a groan of dismay / amusement / irritation (depending on your own proclivities), you'd realize you were facing a needle in a haystack situation, so just get on with it and don't try to skirt the issue with a throw-down log.

But the log-in-a-pen thing seems a little much. Is there any sort of clue or hint, anything on the cache description page, to indicate something this sneaky is going on? Because otherwise it seems to take advantage of the kindness of cachers. I know if I opened a cache and there was no log, I'd break out some of the paper I've learned to carry with me and make a new one, and feel a warm, helpful glow about it. To get home, log online, and then get a "Na-na-na! Deleting your log 'cause you didn't sign the *real* logbook! HA ha!" message would feel very unpleasant, even hurtful.

Just my opinion.

--Q

I would hope that it is listed as a mystery/puzzle. If it's listed as a traditional and the CO deletes logs, that is plain wrong.

I don't care if they EVER log their finds. How others play their game is up to them.

On the other hand, my wife is more than a year behind in logging. She's up to 4/2009 (no tb's involved). Some of the caches she hasn't logged yet have even been archived. She's probably about 130 logs behind.

I don't understand this. How do you keep track of a year's worth of finds? A list? GSAK? Memory? Wouldn't that be more work than just logging them as you go? :lol:

Edited by Gamaliel

I don't care if they EVER log their finds. How others play their game is up to them.

I used to think that finders should log as soon a they reasonably can. But to be honest now I wish some of them wouldn't bother at all. "TFTC" is the best you could do? Why bother?

Edited by GOF's Sock Puppet

I used to think that finders should log as soon a they reasonably can. But to be honest now I wish some of them wouldn't bother at all. "TFTC" is the best you could do? Why bother?

i'll take TFTC over this log :lol:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...5c-0d711a52a9a2

as for logging late, i don't understand how that can be, unless you're on vacation some place and have no laptop and Internet

we log everything the same day

Edited by t4e

If you view any cache log on a seperate page, there is a little icon to nominate that log for a lost and found story. Next time I see some smartphone using noob drop a TFTC on a really good cache, I think I'll have to nominate it. Because I'm like evil that way. :lol:

- I log as soon as it's practical.

- People who log late or not at all don't bother me.

- ANYONE in the FTF game that gets irritated about late loggers deserves the mental torture. A devious strategy I agree but it IS part of the game. Try to get over it. Remember, we all play the way we like and the world certainly does not revolve around one player.

i'll take TFTC over this log :grin:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...5c-0d711a52a9a2

as for logging late, i don't understand how that can be, unless you're on vacation some place and have no laptop and Internet

we log everything the same day

Some people don't log online at all. I've been out with a few who don't do any online logging and just sign the logs in the caches.

I don't understand how logging can be "late" because really is there a mandated time frame for logging? If not then how can it possibly ever be late?

Also for those that have a delay in logging there are many many reasons for it beyond just vacation. Some people have lives outside of this hobby that take precedence over online logging.

- ANYONE in the FTF game that gets irritated about late loggers deserves the mental torture. A devious strategy I agree but it IS part of the game. Try to get over it. Remember, we all play the way we like and the world certainly does not revolve around one player.

Mental torture is part of the game? :grin: Maybe such games should be left out of geocaching. Puzzle caches are enough mental torture for me.

I try to log my FTFs as soon as possible.

My regular finds... Well, I'm a couple weeks behind on that.

I appreciate this attitude. Whether all geocachers are excited about going for a FTF or not, it is definitely part of the game. When the FTF is on a puzzle cache (I know yours aren't!), it's even more important to log the find, because others will check online to see if the FTF is still available.

I recently solved a fairly easy puzzle cache, and drove some distance to get the FTF. I was pretty irritated to find that someone had found it the day before, and not logged their find.

I posted that I was first to log, but when the FTF did post their log, it came in ahead of mine (logs post in the order they're dated), so my log made pretty much no sense. Oh well -- it was a fun puzzle to solve, anyway.