Yet Aother bomb squadded lamp post (Anaheim)

benh57

It boggles the mind that people can be afraid of a film canister....

No timer mechanism. No fuse. Likely weighs just about nothing and the bomb squad thinks it can be a bomb.

Boggles, I tell ya!!

I agree with you for the most part, but the guy who tried the underwearbomb thing was using an explosive that could rip a plane in half with about 1/4 of a film can.

Unfortunately, there is no real good way to let the police know that a cache is just a cache and that the only way to be sure it is a cache is to open it.

Labeling it as a cache may be a clue, but anyone can label anything a with a "geocache" sticker and can list its coords on gc.com. And, someone wanting to do harm could replace a real cache with something else.

I suppose it is best to use enough stealth that no one notices you and therefore doesn't bother the police.

enhance ZOOM! yes see, i can see my sig clearly left on the log 2 months ago, i told you i was famous. i liked this hide because as you can se from the pics is the LPC base was split so it was easy to grab and didnt make that screaching noise. just wait til property management finds out theres at least 4 other caches on this property. :) ( its a big lot) i was looking forward to the last two i hadnt found.

Sometimes law enforcement knows it was a geocache when they blow it up. In one case, a LEO opened a Groundspeak account just to post a NM log to the cache page. Following protocol they blew it up. In that particular case both the cache and the red herring (which law enforcement also got) were labeled appropriately.

Generally, people need to think before they call in a bomb scare. For example, if an IED was placed in the lamp skirt of the far corner of the Walmart in Podunk Town, will it accomplish what IEDs are meant to accomplish? Is a 35mm canister, especially with camo tape that was ironically placed in a location where it blended better without the tape, the container of choice for an IED? Unfortunately, people are so paranoid that they don't think.

Sometimes law enforcement knows it was a geocache when they blow it up. In one case, a LEO opened a Groundspeak account just to post a NM log to the cache page. Following protocol they blew it up. In that particular case both the cache and the red herring (which law enforcement also got) were labeled appropriately.

Generally, people need to think before they call in a bomb scare. For example, if an IED was placed in the lamp skirt of the far corner of the Walmart in Podunk Town, will it accomplish what IEDs are meant to accomplish? Is a 35mm canister, especially with camo tape that was ironically placed in a location where it blended better without the tape, the container of choice for an IED? Unfortunately, people are so paranoid that they don't think.

If a bomb was to go off in a Walmart lot anywhere don't you think it would impact Walmarts everywhere? I mean you say people are too paranoid to realize a film can isn't a bomb so don't you think the same people would panic and avoid all Walmarts?

ooh dear

soon people are gonna start calling the bomb squad for any discarded juice box, or random container tossed on the ground

i don't know how the bomb squad works, but before they deploy all the experts and the high tech equipment, isn't there a way to check on the claim?

seems to me like a huge waste of resources

ooh dear

soon people are gonna start calling the bomb squad for any discarded juice box, or random container tossed on the ground

i don't know how the bomb squad works, but before they deploy all the experts and the high tech equipment, isn't there a way to check on the claim?

Seems like they are doing it already. We only talk about those incidents related to geocaching. There are others everyday. Kids leave there backpack on the bus or some such.

Or perhaps good practice. You can set up all the exercises you want but nothing beats real life experience. Even if it does turn out to be a film can full of paper.

ooh dear

Juice box, now that is IED camo and plenty of room.

hmm come to think of it, a narfed up mag light would do a great job too.

I don't have to even think to come up with objects that could be left right out in the open.

I got an idea! Lets start calling the bomb squad on every car a suspicious person gets out of, everyone knows they make excellent camo. After all, that one time we don't call my be the one time we should have.

Those pictures are priceless. These guys are caching in style!

Just a thought: Don't bomb squads compare notes with each other? You'd think that by now the word has gotten around that a bunch of nerds are playing some idiot hide and seek game and these camo-taped containers in the middle of asphalt parking lots probably aren't bombs.

Another thought: I wish they were bombs. Nothing would delight me more than to see every Walmart in the land go up in flames. Then maybe they'd bring back real stores.

Hilarious:

About a dozen fire trucks from Anaheim and Fullerton were sent to the area. A hazmat team and the Orange County bomb squad were called to analyze the container, Martinez said.

At around 5 p.m., the bomb squad opened the package and found the note, Martinez said.

"It's fortunate that it turned out to be harmless," Martinez said. "It's unfortunate that so many resources were expended for five hours to determine that this was harmless."

Martinez cautioned geocaching players that their actions could be interpreted by passersby "as somebody trying to cause harm."

He encouraged people who witness suspicious activity to notify the police. "You never know," he said. "The one time somebody does not report something that was suspicious may be the one time that they should have reported it."

It doesn't appear that any laws were broken by the men who put the container inside the light pole, Martinez said.

The Auto Club offices, Party City and Bank of America were evacuated.

ooh dear

A discarded juice box and a container wrapped in camo tape tucked into a light standard is hardly the same thing.

The bomb squad is always going to error on the side of caution. Their lives depend on it.

Don't lose sight of the fact that if some warped person wanted to plant an actual bomb ( which can be as small as a film cannister), what better disguise than to put it out like a geocache. Especially if you knew the bomb squad would automatically assume it is a geocache.

I would sooner see them blow up every LPC in the land than read about one tech losing his life because they thought it was a geocache. May sound melodramatic but talk to some techs and ask them what they have seen as bombs. Bombs can be anything anywhere.

I've had experience where I've climbed up in a tree several times using a step-ladder and carrying tools to maintain and adjust a micro cache, which yielded absolutely no suspicion from people passing by in a high traffic area. It seems like the most suspicion is roused when a non-geocacher spots a geocacher trying to go unnoticed and be discreet. Is the new Stealth to be obvious? Heck, you can probably do anything you want with an orange vest, hard helmet and a clipboard.

just wait til property management finds out theres at least 4 other caches on this property.

I suppose that these lamp posts or other placement locations were just crying out for a cache. But perhaps the management company should be contacted by the cache owners so the bomb squad is not called out three or four more times.

Edited by Erickson

Perhaps OT/perhaps not...

We suggest all of those that think the bomb squads' response is overboard/over-the-top/lame (whatever term you care to use), is to volunteer to be the "point man" to retrieve these items for them whilst the LEO's stand off at a safe distance.

Come on, as long as you know so much... why not? :D Do your public service! After all, you get to claim the smiley!

Just think, that FTF could be a FTD (First To Detonate).

Back to being OT -- no, a LPB (Lamp Post Bomb) doesn't make much sense, unless of course it is part of a preplanned series just to create havoc and terror. Perhaps to draw attention to somebody's dislike of Wal-Mart (did I just say that?). Maybe even as a diversion to draw a crowd for a second, much larger blast.

I know, I go overboard. But there are a kazillion "what-ifs". Including the mad bomber that makes a bomb with "Geocache" plastered all over it.

Don't know the solution. Wish I did. :)

If a bomb was to go off in a Walmart lot anywhere don't you think it would impact Walmarts everywhere? I mean you say people are too paranoid to realize a film can isn't a bomb so don't you think the same people would panic and avoid all Walmarts?

Your right. People are avoiding tall buildings and have stopped riding airplanes, especially in Europe.

Come on, as long as you know so much... why not? :) Do your public service! After all, you get to claim the smiley!

If there's an active cache listing at those coordinates, I'll go for it. I've done much more hazardous things geocaching than lifting a lampskirt.

Do I get hazard pay?

A discarded juice box and a container wrapped in camo tape tucked into a light standard is hardly the same thing.

The bomb squad is always going to error on the side of caution. Their lives depend on it.

Don't lose sight of the fact that if some warped person wanted to plant an actual bomb ( which can be as small as a film cannister), what better disguise than to put it out like a geocache. Especially if you knew the bomb squad would automatically assume it is a geocache.

I would sooner see them blow up every LPC in the land than read about one tech losing his life because they thought it was a geocache. May sound melodramatic but talk to some techs and ask them what they have seen as bombs. Bombs can be anything anywhere.

well many know that there is a difference

unfortunately due to certain events in the recent years we've had to learn to be overly suspicious

some though go to the extreme

don't get me wrong, i appreciate the effort of law enforcement to keep us safe, but on the same token i refuse to live my life in fear since almost everything we do has the potential to harm us and those around us

criminal minds will always find new ways to cause harm, and unfortunately we have to learn the hard way

ooh dear

Even worse. For a proper analogy, the discarded juice box would have to be wrapped in camo tape and placed into a light standard by two suspicious men (read the article). :)

There's 3 or 4 caches listed in that shopping center, but I can't tell which one it is, or if it's already archived.

Come on, as long as you know so much... why not? :D Do your public service! After all, you get to claim the smiley!

If there's an active cache listing at those coordinates, I'll go for it. I've done much more hazardous things geocaching than lifting a lampskirt.

Do I get hazard pay?

Key word... volunteer. :)

why camo a LPC with brown camo tape?

That's a good question. I've seen containers with camo duct tape covering them yet they are placed in an urban environment (metal, cement, asphalt). The container doesn't blend in at all. Maybe the CO thinks camo duct tape has some magical invisibility power.

ooh dear

If I wasn't into geocaching, I would probably call the cops thinking that it is part of a drug deal.

I work for the fire department and we get daily updates about possible terrorists attacks or plans within the USA. What a lot of you are missing is the success we have had here in stopping or preventing these acts from happening. We, unlike other countries, have not had the daily attacks in our communities. We should not fear the large potential attacks to our communities, it's the small unthinkable attacks that will disrupt our lives.

It is the small explosions at the Walmart's, Starbuck's, McDonald's, etc. These places do not offer any security or have adequate resources to monitor what is going on around their businesses. How many of you would change your daily routine if attacks started to occur at these places. That's what terrorists are trying to accomplish. They want to disrupt your daily routine with the fear of the unkown and by doing this they succeded in their goal of disrupting the flnancial stability of our communities.

People sometimes think it's overkill to send a lot of fire engines, police, and other resources to these "false alarms", but we don't know it's a false alarm until the situation is assesed. What if it turns out to be real and we only sent one company to the scene and it detonates. Those departments would then be criticized for not sending out the appropriate resources and they should have prepared for the worst, so that is what we do.

Please do not criticize the work or protocol of those that risk everything to protect you. As one poster stated, it would be better if the cacher had permission to place there and had notified the businesses of the cache in their lot. This way those that were affected could let the police and fire know what it is they are dealing with sooner to mitigate the situation.

Geocaching is a game. Yet this game does set up the potential for actual terrorists attacks. Because of this reality, we must approach every call as the real thing until proven otherwise.

I work for the fire department and we get daily updates about possible terrorists attacks or plans within the USA. What a lot of you are missing is the success we have had here in stopping or preventing these acts from happening. We, unlike other countries, have not had the daily attacks in our communities. We should not fear the large potential attacks to our communities, it's the small unthinkable attacks that will disrupt our lives.

It is the small explosions at the Walmart'ss, Starbuck's, McDonald's, etc. These places do not offer any security or have adequate resources to monitor what is going on around their businesses. How many of you would change your daily routine if attacks started to occur at these places. That's what terrorists are trying to accomplish. They want to disrupt your daily routine with the fear of the unknown and by doing this they succeeded in their goal of disrupting the financial stability of our communities.

People sometimes think it's overkill to send a lot of fire engines, police, and other resources to these "false alarms", but we don't know it's a false alarm until the situation is assessed. What if it turns out to be real and we only sent one company to the scene and it detonates. Those departments would then be criticized for not sending out the appropriate resources and they should have prepared for the worst, so that is what we do.

Please do not criticize the work or protocol of those that risk everything to protect you. As one poster stated, it would be better if the cacher had permission to place there and had notified the businesses of the cache in their lot. This way those that were affected could let the police and fire know what it is they are dealing with sooner to mitigate the situation.

Geocaching is a game. Yet this game does set up the potential for actual terrorists attacks. Because of this reality, we must approach every call as the real thing until proven otherwise.

So in your experiance, how many bombs under lightskirts in shopping mails do you recall being found? Actual bombs.

I don't question the actions of the guys on the ground, but I do question some of the policies that come from higher up. We have police on these forums that are somehow able to do in a matter of minutes what it takes bomb squads 5 hours to accomplish- mostly because of procedure and policy.

I don't buy into the "we're not being attacked every day so it must be working" theory. You just cannot compare the saturation of radical political activists and terrorists across the ocean to that in the continental US.

It is the small explosions at the Walmart's, Starbuck's, McDonald's, etc. These places do not offer any security or have adequate resources to monitor what is going on around their businesses. How many of you would change your daily routine if attacks started to occur at these places. That's what terrorists are trying to accomplish. They want to disrupt your daily routine with the fear of the unkown and by doing this they succeded in their goal of disrupting the flnancial stability of our communities.

People sometimes think it's overkill to send a lot of fire engines, police, and other resources to these "false alarms", but we don't know it's a false alarm until the situation is assesed. What if it turns out to be real and we only sent one company to the scene and it detonates. Those departments would then be criticized for not sending out the appropriate resources and they should have prepared for the worst, so that is what we do.

I too work in emergency services. I've worked for several different fire departments and now work private ambulance. Here's my issue with this argument. It's all speculation. I've yet to hear about a Walmart being bombed. I've yet to hear about a real bomb at a Walmart. The idea is that the terrorists want to scare us all, but lets be realistic. Every attack, either succesful or not, has been in a highly populated area or on an airplane. This is just another way we are being scared into believing that the terrorists are after each and every one of us.

I'm not taking anything away from the brave folks who risk their lives on the bomb squad, they have my utmost respect and do a great job. I'm just not a fan of the over the top scare tactics that we've all become affected by. Throw away all the "this could happen" and lets be realistic here. The only person bombing any store like a Walmart in smallsville USA is going to be a local who doesn't like that particular store/franchise. On top of that, it's not going to be done with a film can in the far corner of the parking lot.

I used to say the same thing to my Batt. Chief when we would do the stupid terrorism/decon drills.

Bombs can be anything anywhere.

And yet over 1800 times you yourself have picked up an object that was hidden somewhere, opened it and then logged about the experiance online.

During any of those 1800 times did you ever think that you might be picking up a bomb?

Only once. When my caching partner handed me an item she had picked up. It turned out to be a fake hand grenade. And it was not the geocache.

However, in none of my 2300+ times that I picked up an "object" did I do it after someone had advised me there might be a bomb at that location. And I was geocaching, not responding to a potential bomb in the capacity of a bomb disposal tech.

Is this alarm just another case of not getting permission and letting the store management know there are caches there? Would this have happened anyway even if they did?

"I would sooner see them blow up every LPC in the land..."

You and a lot of other people in these forums. :)

I work for the fire department and we get daily updates about possible terrorists attacks or plans within the USA. What a lot of you are missing is the success we have had here in stopping or preventing these acts from happening.

Do we have a BS flag smilie? If not we need them for posts like this.

How many turrurist [ /sarcasm ] attacks have you (you did say 'we') help prevent?

we really need to edit that last line in our national anthem. It has become a joke.

Is this alarm just another case of not getting permission and letting the store management know there are caches there? Would this have happened anyway even if they did?

The problem is that getting permission just isn't realistic. Who do you ask? The day manager? Not there at night. The night manager? Not there during the day. You don't really think they are going to talk to each other, do you? Even if they do, the turn over rate is going to mean that the guy you got your blessing from might not be there next week. And which business do you get permission from? Do you also need to get permission from the property management company? How about the REIT that actually owns the property?

Also, what makes you think that anyone will ask the management if they know why someone was poking around a light pole?

The core problem is that people are just very poor at identifying risk. Starting with the people that reported this to the volunteers then the police that took the report from the volunteers. Then the management layer in the police that creates the policy. Someone lurking in a parking lot and fiddling with a light post might be a reasonable cause to think that vandalism or theft is happening or that drugs are being stashed - these are both reasonably frequent occurrences. It is NOT reasonable to jump to the possibility that someone is planting a bomb. It is not reasonable to think that Russian spys are passing secrets. It is not reasonable to think that aliens are planting egg sacs. It's like the saying goes - if you hear hoof beats, think horses not zebras.

Terrorists don't plant IEDs in 35mm film canisters under lamp skirts in the remote sections of Walmart parking lots where nobody would get hurt except a lone geocacher at an unpredictable time. A terrorist would strap explosives to their torso and enter the store at a high traffic time. Or drive a vehicle loaded with explosives into the store. Or otherwise go where the people are so there would be damage and, you know, terror. There is method to the madness. If a bomb is disguised as a geocache, that's an attack meant to malign the game, not to instill fear into the general population. While there's always a risk some sicko may try to malign the game at all costs and I always support law enforcement following protocol for the safety of everyone, I'd really prefer people think before they call the police with a bomb scare.

In this case, I have to agree with you. The loss of a cache is a small price to pay for our security. When I have a problem with this type of scenario is when the law/bomb squad or whatever powers that be try to blame the geocacher for placing the cache (or in one case we've heard about... the finder).

As for the explicit permission issue, that has been dealt with here numerous times. It is almost impossible to know who to go to to get permission from the actual owners of most malls, and getting permission from the management is only as good as the word that is passed down to the staff. Managers and staff both come and go, as do the businesses themselves, for that matter.

The problem is that getting permission just isn't realistic. Who do you ask?

True. Usually the parking lot is not owned by the stores. You have to find out who owns the parking lot. And as you say, permission from the parking lot owner/company would probably do nothing about bomb squad calls. Plus I don't see a parking lot owner giving permission because of the huge PITA factor involved.

But since this is private property, and since so many of the geocaching bomb squad calls seem to be parking lot related, why does Groundspeak continue to allow this type of private property hide?