acceptable name for cache

team mx

My inital reaction was: I think it's pretty cool. I cannot imagine that any Sikh would take exception to a positive use of the name of their faith. There are many caches with puns on Christian terms in their title. As long as the cache doesn't push the agenda of the religion, you should be fine. Problems should only arise if the word you were using, or the form of it which you've chosen, has negative connotations.

Then I thought about it a bit more. "Hide and Sikh" sounds fine to me, but I'm not sure about "What Jew think of this cache?" at a synagogue, or "I slam dunk 'cos I'm 6ft6" for a cache high on a drainpipe at a mosque. :(

hi i want to hide a cache across the road from a Sikh temple, is "hide n Sikh" acceptable?
If you even need to ask, you must have doubts yourself.

And if you have doubts, there are bound to be others not using this forum with similar thoughts....

Yes, obviously he has doubts, otherwise he wouldn't be asking. What's wrong with asking?

I don't think that asking a question automatically implies that the answer is no, simply because the question is asked.

For the record, I'm fine with the name of the cache. I've never been one to bow down to the PC movement. If someone gets offended, I see it as their own shortcoming, not because there's a problem with the cache name.

hi i want to hide a cache across the road from a Sikh temple, is "hide n Sikh" acceptable?

For reference I am not of the Sikh faith. I am Christian (Presbyterian to be specific). I would not have any issues using Christian references (not sure what that would be, but as long as its not derogatory to the faith I don't mind). So I would say it is an OK name.

When in doubt go ask a member of the Sikh faith. Clearly you have access to a community of them if you just cross the road :(

For extra points get the thumbs up from a Sikh leader (apologies for not knowing what title this person holds). This way if anyone does get extra sensitive and complains you can come back and say that the leader of the temple said it was ok, and they should take the matter up with him.

For reference I am not of the Sikh faith. I am Christian (Presbyterian to be specific). I would not have any issues using Christian references (not sure what that would be, but as long as its not derogatory to the faith I don't mind). So I would say it is an OK name.

When in doubt go ask a member of the Sikh faith. Clearly you have access to a community of them if you just cross the road :(

For extra points get the thumbs up from a Sikh leader (apologies for not knowing what title this person holds). This way if anyone does get extra sensitive and complains you can come back and say that the leader of the temple said it was ok, and they should take the matter up with him.

I think that's probably the best advice given yet. If you're concerned they may be offended, just ask them, that way you're getting it straight from the horses mouth.

You know, you may want to just go talk to someone at that temple and let them know what you're up to, and for goodness sake, don't hide something over there that could be mistaken for an explosive device!!!

It wouldn't be good for the local PD to be called out every time a Muggle runs across a cammo'd plastic Pringles can near a church (of whatever variety)

I'm just sayin. :(

Other than that, It doesn't sound like your name is disrespectful. It's clever.

Have fun!

I have a Sikh on staff here at work and I proposed the question to him. This is what he had to say ...

Sikhs are particular about their identity and it is a source of great pride for them. Historically the Sikhs have endured some terrible events based on religious and political intolerance. What he implied was that most devout Sikhs would be offended by the title for the simple fact that they take a very dim view of their religion and identity being a source of humor or puns if you will.

They take this stuff very seriously and he further implied that if the local Sikh community got wind of what they would consider a disrespectful cache that it may not last too long.

The man who works with us is a kind and gentle person and not at all an extremist, and he has been both delighted and very straight forward on many occasions that I have asked him about his culture and faith. I have a great deal of respect for him as both a co-worker and fellow human being.

Based on his words, if it were my cache, I would avoid the disrespect and keep Sikh right out of the title.

Hope that helps.

*** As I realize that this may be a hot-button topic for many Indian people, my point is not to draw the plight into debate, but rather to simply convey the opinion on this cache title straight from the horses' mouth ***

The atheist in me felt there was nothing wrong with hiding a cache called "Method to my madness" near a Methodist church. So yeah, I see nothing wrong with that name. :P

I'm Baptist, but Dunkin GoNuts would be an awesome name for a cache located beside a Baptist church. :(

IMHO, if it the name was making a play on some aspect of the religion negatively, I would say no. But if it's simply playing on the name of the nearby location, I don't see a problem with it.

That being said, I am not at all familiar with the Sikh faith. After reading lornix's post, I would probably find a new name.

Baptists and Methodists clearly have a different history and culture than a Sikh. Unless the temple members near you have a different view than the person that lornix asked, I would not use it. And like others have pointed I would be very careful with what I left, where I left it, and whether I had permission to leave it there.

Having thought about this some more, I'm going to say that it's almost certainly disrespectful. Not so much in religious terms, but because you're essentially pointing out that people are in some way cute because they're different, unusual, etc.

Imagine that you moved to the Punjab region and your first name, or the name of your church, turned out to be something amusing in the local language. You might smile and tolerate it, but it would get old pretty fast. When you saw someone making the choice not to make the joke, you would consider them respectful.

Anyway, gotta dash, I've got a box of Catholic fast food here. I got it from Pope-Yes! Fried Chicken...

It's just a pun. It doesn't make fun of the religion, or make any kind of comment about the religion whatsoever.

On the other hand, most puns on someone elses name (or the name of their religion) can get a little tiresome after awhile, particularly if (as Lornix indicated) there are cultural and historical factors that play into it. In the end, only the Sikh people in question would know whether they find it disrespectful and if they do then you have to figure out if you want to disrespect them, if you disagree with their feelings.

I had a conversation once with my daughter whose drama class produced a parody of Flavor of Love. I thought it might be a little audacious for a group of white kids to be parodying this particular show. They thought of it only as a play about a bad tv show. Like a pun! I asked her if she would be comfortable doing it before a more diverse audience. So its somewhat the same thing. If you feel comfortable with the name and don't mind asking the people in question if they think its funny, go for it.

As for me, I once mentioned to someone that in elementary school references to my name based on a particular figure in popular culture got a little tedious. How many jokes do you want to hear based on your name? The next thing I knew was that there was a geocache with that name on it. As I recall, I wrote a pretty good log for my find.

Edited by Erickson

I have a Sikh on staff here at work and I proposed the question to him. This is what he had to say ...

Sikhs are particular about their identity and it is a source of great pride for them. Historically the Sikhs have endured some terrible events based on religious and political intolerance. What he implied was that most devout Sikhs would be offended by the title for the simple fact that they take a very dim view of their religion and identity being a source of humor or puns if you will.

Saying the word Sikh in a humorous way upsets them?

They take this stuff very seriously and he further implied that if the local Sikh community got wind of what they would consider a disrespectful cache that it may not last too long.

So we are to fear that if we use the word Sikh in a way that they don't care for we will be retaliated against? They'd do something to the cache if the name offend them? I find that pretty offensive.

The man who works with us is a kind and gentle person and not at all an extremist,

See his threat above. Doesn't sound too kind and gentle.

and he has been both delighted and very straight forward on many occasions that I have asked him about his culture and faith. I have a great deal of respect for him as both a co-worker and fellow human being.

Based on his words, if it were my cache, I would avoid the disrespect and keep Sikh right out of the title.

Hope that helps.

It helps to see how ridiculous some folks can be when it comes to what they choose to be 'offended' by.

*** As I realize that this may be a hot-button topic for many Indian people, my point is not to draw the plight into debate, but rather to simply convey the opinion on this cache title straight from the horses' mouth ***

When you have to apologize for even discussing something you have already given up the rights and freedoms that this country worked and fought to defend.

So we are to fear that if we use the word Sikh in a way that they don't care for we will be retaliated against? They'd do something to the cache if the name offend them? I find that pretty offensive.

The man who works with us is a kind and gentle person and not at all an extremist,

and he has been both delighted and very straight forward on many occasions that I have asked him about his culture and faith. I have a great deal of respect for him as both a co-worker and fellow human being.

Hope that helps.

It helps to see how ridiculous some folks can be when it comes to what they choose to be 'offended' by.

When you have to apologize for even discussing something you have already given up the rights and freedoms that this country worked and fought to defend.

The OP is from the UK, not USA. Things "may" be different there.

The opinion of how it would appear was based on just one "horse's mouth" and varied replies could/may have been obtained simply in how the questions were presented.

If I asked straightforward yet friendly , I'd get a different answer than if the question was asked mildly and lathered with PC.

Ask the folks near your planned cache site what they think. Maybe it's not that big a deal there.

I LOL'd when I first read this question. I can't say that I really see any reason why "hide n Sikh" would not be acceptable. As other people have pointed out, people have made puns on other religions and I know of a couple cache names that are far more offensive here in AZ. However, even if it is acceptable.....why do it? Show a little class and think of something else.

Yes, as much as it would upset you if I came on here and started making jokes about the USA.

I am neither offended nor fearful, but I do try to not put other people off if possible. I am not really what most would consider PC, but I do believe in fair play and giving each his own. For the record I think the name is clever and I personally have no issues with the name itself, but then, I am not Sikh either.

He did not make a threat personally. He simply stated that his community may find it offensive enough to not allow it to exist. Again I allude to hiding a cache and calling it something that you would find derogatory towards the USA. How long would it be allowed to exist before a patriot would simply remove it? I see no difference. A mans' passion is a mans' passion plain and simple. There is not really a right or wrong when dealing on this level, there are only feelings and opinions.

Hope that helps.

Religion is a funny thing that way. All passion and the logic comes secondary. No different than any other religion in that regard.

Actually I am Canadian and we have many of the same rights and freedoms that my father, grandfather, and great grandfather fought for as well. I am exercising those rights and freedoms by having an open discussion on someone else's point of view. I do not see where I apologized or gave up any rights. It is also my right to respect other peoples beliefs whether I agree or not just as it is your right to tell me to go jump in a lake. I may not actually jump in the lake, but I respect your right to tell me too :blink:

Any way, this is getting so far derailed from the original question, I cannot sit here and defend an opinion that I don;t necessarily share. As stated above, I am simply reporting one person's take on it based on his faith and culture.

<EOM>

thanks for the replies. i have chosen to go with "hide n seek" there is still the play on words being near a temple but much less questionable i think. also i have removed to words high explosive from the container lol

You are joking, right? Your container was never going to say "High Explosive" was it?

thanks for the replies. i have chosen to go with "hide n seek" there is still the play on words being near a temple but much less questionable i think. also i have removed to words high explosive from the container lol

You don't have to cave to this PC crap. Walk over to the temple and ask then directly if they would mind. I'm sure if you explained it to them and re-assured them they you are not intending it as a slight, i'm sure there would not be any problem.

Last thing I would do is rely on the advice of the people here (except my advice of course)

Good luck!

You don't have to cave to this PC crap. Walk over to the temple and ask then directly if they would mind. I'm sure if you explained it to them and re-assured them they you are not intending it as a slight, i'm sure there would not be any problem.

Last thing I would do is rely on the advice of the people here (except my advice of course)

Good luck!

With all due respect. If you think a political or religious organization will not be offended easily, you have a lot to learn.

I have met MANY religious authorities and most every one of them would like nothing more than to be offended by something as silly as the name of their faith being used in parody or pun.

I would bet real money that the church officials woould say they thought it was offensive.

Just out of interest I did a keyword search for caches with religious titles. I thought the results for the last few were pretty amusing.

Christian: 135

Methodist: 88

Baptist: 230

Catholic: 69

Buddhist: 12

Jewish: 36

Hindu: 7

Muslim: 0

Sikh: 8

Jesus: 83

Buddha: 56

Allah: Doesn't count, kept returning caches with Callahan, Gallagher and Tallahassee.

Holy: 781

Satanic: 4

God: 1

Satan: 34

Devil: 937

Heaven: 1123

Hell: 1818

Flying Spaghetti Monster: 1

You are joking, right? Your container was never going to say "High Explosive" was it?

Ummm, I'm no Uber Genius, but I'm guessing he's probably talking about covering up the military markings on an ammo can. <_<

Good luck!

The last thing I would do is come to the forums to ask about something like this. But that's only because I've been around here long enough to know I'll never get a consensus and it's a lot less angsty if I just make my own mind up without the "help" of the forum participants. <_<

Good luck!

I'll bet he's scared to or doesn't want to, because he knows it's a little offensive.

Good luck!

I'll bet he's scared to or doesn't want to, because he knows it's a little offensive.

Do people have to be scared to decide to use discretion? <_<;)

Good luck!

Do people have to be scared to decide to use discretion? <_<;)

I'm not sure what you mean. I think he should use discretion and, if he insisted on the name, ask if the temple would be okay with it. I don't think he would go ask though because he knows it's a little offensive and would rather change the wording than be in the uncomfortable situation of asking the temple if 'hide and sikh' is okay with them.

You know, you may want to just go talk to someone at that temple and let them know what you're up to, and for goodness sake, don't hide something over there that could be mistaken for an explosive device!!!

It wouldn't be good for the local PD to be called out every time a Muggle runs across a cammo'd plastic Pringles can near a church (of whatever variety)

I'm just sayin. <_<

Other than that, It doesn't sound like your name is disrespectful. It's clever.

Have fun!

HAHAHA I can see the headlines now! PD BOMB SQUAD CALLED IN AFTER SIKH LEADER FINDS CAMMO CANISTER.....lol

This technique is used on hundreds of caches. It should be allowed. If it isn't, it's just hypocritical of Groundspeak and the reviewer who would deny it.

No one has stated it wouldn't be allowed.

Some have simply said it was offensive.

Others have said it was fine.

The OP made their own decision to alter the name based on the feedback they received.

This technique is used on hundreds of caches. It should be allowed. If it isn't, it's just hypocritical of Groundspeak and the reviewer who would deny it.

No one has stated it wouldn't be allowed.

Some have simply said it was offensive.

Others have said it was fine.

The OP made their own decision to alter the name based on the feedback they received.

I know all this...just putting my two cents in. Are you saying I'm not allowed to do this?

I thought the proposed cache name was funny, but I suspect it would be offensive, so I don't think I would do it. I like the OP's compromise. Maybe even funnier because you have to think a little to get it.

Humor is a curious thing. One of the funniest things I have EVER read was something that was posted in these forums a few years ago and got someone banned or at least warned. I have shared this item with countless people over the years, and everyone thinks it's hysterical, but I never would have known about it if it hadn't been posted here... (vague reference was made to it in this thread)