owner keeps deleting my log

Sigh. bittsen is wrong. Again. That is not something that is the responsibility or authority of a reviewer. Groundspeak, on the other hand, might be willing to help. Send an email to contact at geocaching.com

OK, I might be wrong. My bad. I'm sorry. Please don't beat me again.

I sure would like to know all the info about why.

Why bittsen is wrong? Or the OP?

If the latter, yes. It is usually best to be able to see both sides of the coin, eh? Or at least to have some facts.

then again, it seems like gossip to me.

i want to know, and yet it's probably none of my business.

what can i do about this?

not sure why , they will not return any messages, but they keep deleting it.

What did you post?

all my post says is ,

found while on vacation with my son.

they have deleted it but will not give me a reason why, I have sent a message to them but no reply,

it was up for 3 months then a few days ago I got a log deleted email.

What did you post?

all my post says is ,

found while on vacation with my son.

they have deleted it but will not give me a reason why, I have sent a message to them but no reply,

it was up for 3 months then a few days ago I got a log deleted email.

We are not mind readers. Did you read this post by bafl01?

more detail, what cache are we talking about, can we read it. Will you post what you have been trying to post as your log so we can read it. We cant give you advice without detail

Sigh. bittsen is wrong. Again. That is not something that is the responsibility or authority of a reviewer. Groundspeak, on the other hand, might be willing to help. Send an email to contact at geocaching.com

There was a recent case here in bittsen's home town where some deleted logs were locked and I think the locker is a reviewer. I hope you were being sarcastic because your first sentence is frowned upon by grounspeak, if not a joke. We Portlanders stick together and are seldom wrong. :rolleyes:

Perhaps it is something your saying in your log. Try a TFTH SL log and see if that flys. Perhaps it was a Premium Member only cache and since your not a premium member your log is being deleted. If that is the case then an email to Groundspeak will get your log reinstated and locked. Perhaps it is something else.

Jim

since we're not in a position to act on any of this, but only in a position to make guesses, it's probably best not to bring all the details to us.

what good will it do besides make the CO even less willing to let the log stand?

if your objective is to alert everyone to what you perceive as the COs bad behavior (without passing judgement on whether is IS bad behavior), this is the place to do it.

if you wish to encourage speculation, this is the place to do it.

if you want something to be done about it, Groundspeak is where you should go for a quiet reinstatement.

since we're not in a position to act on any of this, but only in a position to make guesses, it's probably best not to bring all the details to us.

what good will it do besides make the CO even less willing to let the log stand?

if your objective is to alert everyone to what you perceive as the COs bad behavior (without passing judgement on whether is IS bad behavior), this is the place to do it.

if you wish to encourage speculation, this is the place to do it.

if you want something to be done about it, Groundspeak is where you should go for a quiet reinstatement.

Agreed!

Contact the reviewer of the cache, explain that your log is getting deleted. If there is no reason for your log to be deleted the reviewer will probably reinstate the log and lock it so it can't be deleted.

Wow, what a radical request in a fun game...If this would happen, the cache owner should just archive the cache placement....I find it hard to believe that a reviewer would do such a thing.....If so, we are not in america any more....

Contact the reviewer of the cache, explain that your log is getting deleted. If there is no reason for your log to be deleted the reviewer will probably reinstate the log and lock it so it can't be deleted.

Wow, what a radical request in a fun game...If this would happen, the cache owner should just archive the cache placement....I find it hard to believe that a reviewer would do such a thing.....If so, we are not in america any more....

As has been noted, bittsen misstated the procedure to follow for deleted logs. The log owner should contact Groundspeak. Volunteer cache reviewers are not the log police. We do not want to step into the middle of logging disputes between two geocachers, who may be people whose caches we find, or who we see at events. A Groundspeak Lackey, however, can restore a wrongfully deleted log and lock it so the owner cannot delete it again.

As has been noted, bittsen misstated the procedure to follow for deleted logs. The log owner should contact Groundspeak. Volunteer cache reviewers are not the log police. We do not want to step into the middle of logging disputes between two geocachers, who may be people whose caches we find, or who we see at events. A Groundspeak Lackey, however, can restore a wrongfully deleted log and lock it so the owner cannot delete it again.

I wish I could name the CO but I feel that for them to keep deleting my log, they are a little sick in the mind.

After all itr is just a game.

I am not a big numbers person, in 5 years I only have 200 logs.

Just wondered if this was more common.

Some cache owners are more apt to delete logs than others.

You may have missed some sort of additional logging requirement.....like answering a question, or posting a picture with you and your gps in it.

Perhaps the owner has verified all the names on the actual paper log in the cache, and they could not find your name there.

It's NOT very common. After 18000+ cache logs, I've only had a dozen or so deleted. I just hit the IGNORE button, and avoid those type of cache owners. Life is too short to waste on those rude people. :rolleyes:

You may not know why the owner deletes it but they have a reason

I am kwickly approaching my 5th anniversary in this game, and just last week experienced my first log deletion. I tend to get real wordy with my logs, typing up my experiences for the day in kind of a blog fashion, often encompassing multiple hunts. Because of the 4000 character log limit, sometimes I have to break up a log into more than one piece, with one "Found It", followed by a "Note". In the case of that cache, my log ended up being 5 pages long, which really cluttered up the cache page. The owner deleted my 4 notes, leaving the find. I had no problem with that.

... snip

You may have missed some sort of additional logging requirement.....like answering a question, or posting a picture with you and your gps in it.

... snip

Of course, for Traditional caches, deleting Found it logs under these circumstances is no longer permitted.

And of course many cache owners who don't get the weekly mailer, visit the forum, or regularly check the guidelines for updates, would not know this. And even if they did, cache owners have a tendency to believe that their cache is some exception.

The obvious is they don't like your log. Why they don't like it is the heart of the issue.

I had one onwer delete a log. They never said why. I had talked about a high school story. My guess was that they wanted something else so I re-logged talking about all the litter around the cache. That log got to stay. Apparently they wanted to hear something about the cache.

The obvious is they don't like your log. Why they don't like it is the heart of the issue.

I had one onwer delete a log. They never said why. I had talked about a high school story. My guess was that they wanted something else so I re-logged talking about all the litter around the cache. That log got to stay. Apparently they wanted to hear something about the cache.

This just goes to show ya that you may not understand what the cache owners pet peeve is. :anicute::rolleyes:B)B)

... snip

... snip

Of course, for Traditional caches, deleting Found it logs under these circumstances is no longer permitted.

And of course many cache owners who don't get the weekly mailer, visit the forum, or regularly check the guidelines for updates, would not know this. And even if they did, cache owners have a tendency to believe that their cache is some exception.

I know of no better reason for the OP to appeal to TPTB to reinstate and lock the log. That way, the cache owner learns.

The OP is apparently in Canada which is in North America and that is a sore point with Canadians. "America" as the the center of the universe, another sore point. What planet are you on? B)

I am glad that this standard is not often applied. If a cache is in a nice area, has an interesting title or brings back memories of long-lost loves, I would much rather write about that rather than litter.

Edited by Erickson

There was a recent case here in bittsen's home town where some deleted logs were locked and I think the locker is a reviewer. I hope you were being sarcastic because your first sentence is frowned upon by grounspeak, if not a joke. We Portlanders stick together and are seldom wrong. :rolleyes:

Well, to be perfectly honest, one of us thought we were wrong once, but it was quickly pointed out the error of our assumption.

without knowing the cache, we'll never know "the rest of the story"

Where do I take my concerns for a couple of "found" logs that I had deleted. I found the caches last week and signed the log in both cases. (Joda's Bone GC1QETJ and It's Just 99 Cents GC1QETP) I can describe the exact spots of the caches. I have not resubmitted those found logs and will not until I hear from Groundspeak.

The owner of these two caches was a fellow that found one of my caches a couple of years ago and couldn't get the log out of the container so he cut it open with his knife and posted that fact in his log. I wrote him back after I checked the cache and asked him to please stay away from my caches and just log them as finds. He logged several of them and it was really no big deal until he began logging remote caches in Utah and claiming ftfs. I got several complaints from the legitimate ftf'rs and they asked me to delete his logs so they got credit for their efforts. I did delete some of them. If you check his account you will find that he has "claimed" many of my caches located all over the place and found no others in those areas.

Perhaps I should just ignore him and forget those two caches.

I tried to send an e-mail through "contact us" and it started asking me for a bunch of IP address stuff and became overwhelmed so I came here.

It has been my considerable experience that such people will, very soon, lose interest in the game and quietly fail to be a problem in the future . . . you find such people in all places people gather as they are wont for undeserved attention and unearned recognition - upon failing, they go away or simply shut up and sit quietly in a corner.

Being loud on the forums, slamming the ideas or hides of others, logging finds that they have not visited, claiming FTF illegitimently, even claiming hides they did not place - all this and such provides no real joy and will provide no rewarding recognition once they are publically exposed . . . no reason to stay, anymore.

Meanwhile, put their caches on your ignore list, log finds on caches of honest hiders and retain your own joy!

Where do I take my concerns for a couple of "found" logs that I had deleted. I found the caches last week and signed the log in both cases. (Joda's Bone GC1QETJ and It's Just 99 Cents GC1QETP) I can describe the exact spots of the caches. I have not resubmitted those found logs and will not until I hear from Groundspeak.

The owner of these two caches was a fellow that found one of my caches a couple of years ago and couldn't get the log out of the container so he cut it open with his knife and posted that fact in his log. I wrote him back after I checked the cache and asked him to please stay away from my caches and just log them as finds. He logged several of them and it was really no big deal until he began logging remote caches in Utah and claiming ftfs. I got several complaints from the legitimate ftf'rs and they asked me to delete his logs so they got credit for their efforts. I did delete some of them. If you check his account you will find that he has "claimed" many of my caches located all over the place and found no others in those areas.

I tried to send an e-mail through "contact us" and it started asking me for a bunch of IP address stuff and became overwhelmed so I came here.

First to log is not First to Find. Most of my FTF's I was anywhere from 2nd to fifth to log on line and that does not bother me at all. So deleting a log, even on a legitimate find because the FTF did not log first online is plain wrong. Most FTF hounds are adult enough to realize it is the first to sign the paper log is the first to find. I would ignore those that whine because someone else logged on line before they did.

Then we have this statement

I wrote him back after I checked the cache and asked him to please stay away from my caches and just log them as finds.

Seems he is doing exactly what you requested, so what is the problem again?

I've only had one log deleted in my caching lifetime. Come to find out, this CO is known for deleting logs on this well-known cache. After reading a thread about it on a local board, I have written to contact@geocaching.com and asked them to look into it and (hopefully) my log will be reinstated and the CO will no longer have the ability to delete it.

Good luck!

I have only been at it for 6 months and got one deleted. Of course, it was a request to ensure the cache was still there after about 6 people not finding it. Of course, there was never any log indicating they checked and it is still there. I emailed the CO to see if deleting my email meant they checked it out. No response. And, this is a long time cacher, but apparently does not want to deal with concerns of a relatively new cacher.

I have only been at it for 6 months and got one deleted. Of course, it was a request to ensure the cache was still there after about 6 people not finding it. Of course, there was never any log indicating they checked and it is still there. I emailed the CO to see if deleting my email meant they checked it out. No response. And, this is a long time cacher, but apparently does not want to deal with concerns of a relatively new cacher.

drop a NA on him. Doesn't matter if he deletes it or not the reviewer already has the email.

Jim

When I asked him just to stay away from my caches and log them I didn't realize that it was my responsibility to "police" false logs. In addition, there are sites that track ftfs electronically and the folks that actually found the cache first are not getting credit for getting the cache first. He logged some of the ftfs on caches that were in ten feet of snow when he said he went. One is in my front yard and I don't live in a place that is easy to get to. The fraudulent logger has logged 40-50 of my caches in SoUt and has not logged any others in the state. Okay, I asked for that. The caches he has logged are ridiculous and I don't really care except for the electronic ftfs that he has stolen. I am actually afraid of this guy. Anyone that would actually take a knife to a cache container in order to extract a log that had caused no one else a problem is questionable in my mind. I guess I should just ignore him and his caches and see if he disappears.

First to log is not First to Find. Most of my FTF's I was anywhere from 2nd to fifth to log on line and that does not bother me at all. So deleting a log, even on a legitimate find because the FTF did not log first online is plain wrong. Most FTF hounds are adult enough to realize it is the first to sign the paper log is the first to find. I would ignore those that whine because someone else logged on line before they did.

Then we have this statement

I wrote him back after I checked the cache and asked him to please stay away from my caches and just log them as finds.
Seems he is doing exactly what you requested, so what is the problem again?
It was the very first thing that he posted. I bolded it for you.
When I asked him just to stay away from my caches and log them I didn't realize that it was my responsibility to "police" false logs. In addition, there are sites that track ftfs electronically and the folks that actually found the cache first are not getting credit for getting the cache first. He logged some of the ftfs on caches that were in ten feet of snow when he said he went. One is in my front yard and I don't live in a place that is easy to get to. The fraudulent logger has logged 40-50 of my caches in SoUt and has not logged any others in the state. Okay, I asked for that. The caches he has logged are ridiculous and I don't really care except for the electronic ftfs that he has stolen. I am actually afraid of this guy. Anyone that would actually take a knife to a cache container in order to extract a log that had caused no one else a problem is questionable in my mind. I guess I should just ignore him and his caches and see if he disappears.
Regarding the bolded bit, those don't work. They merely track the number of times that people are first to log a cache online. That's quite a bit different than actually finding teh cache first. Also, these sites may be a TOU violation.

Regarding your actual issue, if you are truly afraid of the guy or think that he may simply start destroying your caches if you push the issue, you may want to stop logging his caches, even though you have every right to do so. You might consider offering to stop logging his caches if he stops logging yours.

Edited by sbell111

We just posted this log entry and the owner quickly deleted it. We know that it was not a flattering entry but should it have been deleted? What do the forum members think? Thanks in advance for the feedback.

"This cache had no redeeming value except it WAS a cache and we touched it. We squeezed our signature into the last of the blank space in the log and resumed pedaling."

We just posted this log entry and the owner quickly deleted it. We know that it was not a flattering entry but should it have been deleted? What do the forum members think? Thanks in advance for the feedback.

"This cache had no redeeming value except it WAS a cache and we touched it. We squeezed our signature into the last of the blank space in the log and resumed pedaling."

I'll let most things fly but I would have deleted that one too. You have to learn to insult in more subtle ways. Hang out here in the forums long enough and you'll learn how to be subtle and how to outright attack.

No, no matter how immature and rude your log was it should not have been deleted even if it was left by someone who has never bothered to hide a cache of their own.
Edited by baloo&bd