Can you hide a cache here?

Yes. You can. I've done two of them. The one said "When you see the sign for Granny Smith's Apple Pies Baked Here", you are in the right location. I liked that one.

The other just listed coordinates. Coords were off a bit, and jumpy. We spent twenty minutes searching the wrong front yard.

So, if you go for it, my advice is: Make sure that people will be searching the right yard. And don't be annoyed at people searching your front yard at 3 AM, with flashlights.

I review enough "front yard caches" that I have a form letter that I post to the unpublished cache page:

Hello, I am a volunteer for Geocaching.com and I have reviewed your cache submission. Welcome to geocaching, and thanks for hiding a cache.

This cache looks like it's hidden in a residential area. Hopefully it is on your own property, because caches on private property need clear evidence of permission. Geocachers are often very uncomfortable searching for a cache near a residence. It would help people enjoy your cache, and you'll get more visitors, if you could edit your cache description to say that you are the owner of the property and that people have permission to search there. If you need to attach any conditions, like "no searching after 10:00 at night," it would be a good idea to mention this on your cache page also. Otherwise, expect bumps in the night and barking dogs at 2:00 a.m. Finally, because of bad satellite reception, approaching from the wrong direction, etc., it is possible that geocachers may inadvertently trespass on your neighbors' property. Please consider telling your neighbors about your geocache, and adding a hint to let people know they're at the correct house.

Once you have edited your cache page to address these issues, let me know this and I will take another look at your submission. To respond, please do NOT send me an e-mail. Leave a new "Reviewer Note" log here on your cache page. I have your cache on my watchlist, and I will receive a notification when you write your note. All reviewer notes are deleted when your cache is published.

Thanks,

Keystone

Geocaching.com Volunteer Cache Reviewer

Note the "Welcome to geocaching" line in the note. Most of the time, the front yard cache is a new geocacher's first hide. For those cases where it isn't, I just delete that phrase. :)

Please take Keystone's message to heart. One of my early caches was in my front yard (and it really was a good one... even after 5 years I can still say that). But it is awkward for most finders. Also, if you have neighbors, take the time to visit each one and explain what you are doing. I did that, but still found it too odd after a while, and archived it.

I want to hide a cache in my front yard. Is this acceptable in the geocaching world??? I think it would be so fun!!!

If you give me permission and you will maintain it for me I can hide a cache there... if (and only if) I can make it some sort of devious or fun hide. Where do you live?

I have one in my driveway and the neighbors know about it. Most think it is fun and one thinks it is just kind of a stupid game but doesn't care as long as cachers aren't tramping around in his yard. I meet quite a few cachers when they are hunting but I don't spend any time watching for them. Met one tonight as a matter of fact. :)

I will hunt "front yard" caches when the cache page gives me enough info to feel comfortable doing so. I think that any cache of this type should have very clear directions and instructions for finding the cache so neighbors aren't uncomfortable with the strange activity that happens from time to time.

Usually, I skip "front yard" caches as it just feels "weird".

As I approach the GZ, it can be hard to tell if the "permission" stated on the cache page matches the physical property I'm about to enter.

Just did one of these caches a few weeks ago. Even with explicit instructions (and it was obvious that the GZ was right in front of the yard), still felt "weird" hunting for a cache while people could be watching.

Edited by Fuzzywhip
I've done a few front yard caches, and even a back yard cache, but it has always been special circumstances. Most such caches aren't nude friendly. :D

Nudecacher

I have never ventured into any back yards. Yikes!

You have got to get over here to Spokane to find some of our caches. Mrs. Chumpo has been a fan for quite some time :)

A front yard cache is probably going to be your one and only opportunity to hide a huge container any way you like (except buried, of course!), so after memorizing Keystone's sound advice as posted above, go for it. Front yard caches can be a lot of fun, and we have enjoyed meeting some cacher owners by finding their yard caches, but it has to be done the right way. State clearly on the cache page that it is in your yard. Don't hide it on the property line, or if you do, make sure people know to "enter the yard for the RED house, not the blue." Don't make it super-tricky...even though people will know they have permission, they will start to get paranoid and self-conscious searching for a long time if the cache is too hard to find. Here is a picture of one of our favorite yard caches:

024-2-1.jpg

A front yard cache is probably going to be your one and only opportunity to hide a huge container any way you like (except buried, of course!), so after memorizing Keystone's sound advice as posted above, go for it. Front yard caches can be a lot of fun, and we have enjoyed meeting some cacher owners by finding their yard caches, but it has to be done the right way. State clearly on the cache page that it is in your yard. Don't hide it on the property line, or if you do, make sure people know to "enter the yard for the RED house, not the blue." Don't make it super-tricky...even though people will know they have permission, they will start to get paranoid and self-conscious searching for a long time if the cache is too hard to find. Here is a picture of one of our favorite yard caches:

024-2-1.jpg

Very cute!!! I like this one a lot!

I want to hide a cache in my front yard. Is this acceptable in the geocaching world??? I think it would be so fun!!!

Tip1: place explicit permission on the listing.

Tip2: place house number in hint

Tip3: if your container has a combination lock, don't try to make a puzzle out of the combo.

a front yard cach opened up just .3 miles from my house

I drove by after work walked down the sidewalk

I was about to skip it

I knew where it was frome the description, but didnt want to step into the owners landscaping.

the owner came out and told me to grab it

I found another at a church that I had to step into the mulch to get... didnt like that either

I know alot of people put alot of time, efford, and money into their yards

If I wouldnt walk there normally I dont want to walk there to cach

If I can reach it without stepping into the mulch it would be much better

1. Make sure the cache description clearly states it is YOUR yard.

2. Make sure all your neighbors know about it and do not call the police when they see a person lurking in the bushes at 3 in the morning.

3. Be prepared to find people lurking in the bushes at 3 in the morning.

2. Make sure all your neighbors know about it and do not call the police when they see a person lurking in the bushes at 3 in the morning.

Oh, and make sure you also notify your neighbors when you archive the cache so that they WILL call the police when they see a person lurking in the bushes at 3 in the morning. :unsure:

I have learned to overcome some of the "feelings of right and wrong" I grew up with when it comes to geocaching. But it took some time! Even though the description clearly states, "placed with owners permission" or "owner knows all about this" I am still leary. One my husband and I did was in the fenced backyard of a business. (Gate left open.) That one really made me feel weird!

We did a front yard cache and met the owner in the process. I learned a lot about geocaching from him. There is another in our town which is a front yard cache, but I haven't done it yet. I am getting bolder, but I still get that awkward feeling.

I have one in my driveway and the neighbors know about it.

I've done this cache. :yikes:

I've done a few front yard caches, and even a back yard cache, but it has always been special circumstances. Most such caches aren't nude friendly. <_<

Nudecacher

I have never ventured into any back yards. Yikes!

I have a cache in my back yard, and Nudecacher visited the original incarnation of it. :)

. . .

I've done WRASTRO's driveway cache, and took my picture there too to prove it. I thought I owed it to WRASTRO after he photoshoped the picture in my log into his log at the Monticello Convention. Seemed like an invitation to me, but that was way back in the early days of geocaching and of Nudecacher.

Nudecacher

I did one in the Harrisburg area not too long ago where the owner stated to pull into the driveway to park. Felt kinda funny about that when the owner's wife came home and had to drive across their grass to get into their driveway and garage, but she didn't even hesitate, just drove right in and then came down to talk to me and the kids before getting her husband. He had switched mailboxes and had the old one that he decided to make a cache with. The mailbox was now in their front yard, turned sideways behind a telephone pole. It had a lock on it and the combo was right there if you could figure out where. Had an enjoyable talk with him and his wife and while it felt weird at first, it turned out to be a fun little cache to do. What I really liked about it, it truly was a secure TB hotel where you didn't have to worry about dropping off TBs and coins and taking the chance they were going to get muggled. I have great difficulty dropping off a coin (even when it isn't mine) and knowing that the cache has alot of muggle traffic nearby where it might be stolen.

I am currently working on a puzzle cache that, once people figure out the co-ords, will lead to my front yard and to a secure cache. Might hide the combo nearby as a first stage as well.

I've done a few, but like flask I'm not very social so I try to get in and out before anyone comes out. :)

I have a cache sort of in my front yard (or in the alley) but you don't have to leave your car. I see people every once in a while sitting in their cars writing down the coordinates. <_<

We have a cache placed on both of our property.

One is a multi that takes you to a store to gather information off the signs. Once you have it correct we gave a hint saying that its .12 away from and please park on the side of the road without the mailboxes. We did give notice to the two neighbors that were nearby. And they were okay with it.

Another is a puzzle that the coordinates are at least .50 miles away. I(Beau) live on a dirt road that is 2 miles long. We put it in our mailbox in front of our house. Our new mailbox is at the end of the dirt road. So its an old mailbox. We did list our address on the cache name. Its my little brothers cache, but we co-own it. So its easy for people to get.

We did leave a cache at the bus stop. But we gave the neighbors that there was a cache there. And they were like okay. I put a note of explaining geocaching and where the cache was located.

All is fine. Although the multi we own is the only cache on the page that requires a person to find for the ADC Challenge we own.

. . .

I've done WRASTRO's driveway cache, and took my picture there too to prove it. I thought I owed it to WRASTRO after he photoshoped the picture in my log into his log at the Monticello Convention. Seemed like an invitation to me, but that was way back in the early days of geocaching and of Nudecacher.

Nudecacher

And we thought both were hilarious! :)