Drilling holes in rocks?

The Broylers

Anyone know the best way to drill a hole in a rock so that a bison tube or file cannister can be placed inside to create a cache? Also, what would be the best way to affix the bison/ cannister to the inside of the rock? There are no rock caches in our area that I'm aware of, so I thought it would be good to place a few.

Thanks.

The Broylers

Anyone know the best way to drill a hole in a rock so that a bison tube or file cannister can be placed inside to create a cache? Also, what would be the best way to affix the bison/ cannister to the inside of the rock? There are no rock caches in our area that I'm aware of, so I thought it would be good to place a few.

Thanks.

The Broylers

A masonry bit works for a bison tube. Don't know about a film cannister. Haven't seen a bit that large. Hot melt or epoxy glue should work for attaching the bison tube.

I make them alot. You need a masons bit to drill the rock. Then I use np1 caulk to hold the bison in place. Now granite is hard to drill into with out eating up you drill bits. I'm a mason by trade so I have the bits at hand to use when I need them. If you want more help, drop me a email.

Thanks.

The Broylers

I've tried using a regular drill with a masonry bit, but the best luck I've had was with a drill press and a masonry bit.

I did it the old fashioned way, I used two 100 year old "star drills" and a mini-sledgehammer. I got a super good forearm and bicep workout to boot! I would work on it, for about 30 minutes, then put it away for another day. I probably invested a few hours into my hide. The cache gots lots of DNFs, a few finds, them a "maggot cacher" stole my rock. I hope they dropped it on their foot, it weighed 30 lbs.

Thanks.

The Broylers

I've tried using a regular drill with a masonry bit, but the best luck I've had was with a drill press and a masonry bit.

Try a hammerdrill next time. I'll lke a hot knive thru butter. :P

Thanks.

The Broylers

I wish there was a battery powered hammerdrill portable enough to get into the back country. I would disappear for hours and come back with big smile on my face.

Thanks.

The Broylers

Try a hammerdrill next time. I'll lke a hot knive thru butter. :laughing:

I wish there was a battery powered hammerdrill portable enough to get into the back country. I would disappear for hours and come back with big smile on my face.

I have an 18 volt battery powered one. Not any bigger than a regular battery powered drill.

I would caution anyone reading this about going into the back country to drill holes in rocks!!

While I would have no problem with this done to a rock found in a quarry or somewhere where you can pick one up, I do see serious problems with holes being drilled in National forests or even State lands. It brings up the issue of digging holes! :laughing::P

I would say that this is not allowed.

If the rules state that if you used a shovel to dig a hole then it will not get published. I'd think that drilling a hole is just like that.

A PM has been sent to the reviewer of your state to be on the lookout for this violation.

The lower left point on your star is a bit tarnished. A PM has been sent to your reviewer notifying him that your out of uniform.

If I BUY a rock in a garden store and drill the hole there is NO violation.

Jim

I would caution anyone reading this about going into the back country to drill holes in rocks!!

While I would have no problem with this done to a rock found in a quarry or somewhere where you can pick one up, I do see serious problems with holes being drilled in National forests or even State lands. It brings up the issue of digging holes! :laughing::P

You're cache would quickly be archived if a reviewer caught wind of this. This would also be a real black eye when viewed by land managers.

The most responsible method is to fabricate your own rock using cement, mesh, or even fiberglass, and paint. Go to any zoo, and look at the faux rock wall habitats.

You're cache would quickly be archived if a reviewer caught wind of this. This would also be a real black eye when viewed by land managers.

The most responsible method is to fabricate your own rock using cement, mesh, or even fiberglass, and paint. Go to any zoo, and look at the faux rock wall habitats.

Yep I did make my own fake rock once. It disintegrated though. I didn't get the mix/reinforcement right but it worked for about 6 months.

A friend has a rock quarry where someday I may get him to load a large one in my truck to haul away to a cache site. maybe to add to other rocks near a hiking trail to discourage motor vehicles from using the trail.

If the rules state that if you used a shovel to dig a hole then it will not get published. I'd think that drilling a hole is just like that.

A PM has been sent to the reviewer of your state to be on the lookout for this violation.

:P

LMAO!!! When I saw the title of this thread I just KNEW that it would have a post like this one in it. What a putz. Next they'll say, "if the rules (they are actually GUIDELINES) state that you can't use a shovel, then obviously you can't PAINT that ammo can". I suppose that the log that I cut up from MY OWN PROPERTY and took out to the site where I placed my cache is illegal because I used a Chainsaw, Drill, and Chisels to shape a cavity in it for the cache container to fit into? Does it matter if I DRILL into a log or a rock in building a cache? Did you know that they use a DRILL when manufacturing aluminum bison tubes? We better ban those too. No DRILLING into stuff folks, cause that's that same as using a shovel!

[/soapbox]

:P:laughing:

Phew! This post was bizarrely inappropriate and out of context! Are you on c.... ... oh.... never mind... do you need a nap? I suggest a nap!

I have sent a PM to the Nap Guardians, advising them to be on the lookout for failure-to-take-naps-as-needed violations in your region.

[note: for those who are new to the thread, the OP was not suggesting drilling a hole in the earth's mantle, nor in the earth's crust nor in so-called "bedrock", but rather, was talking about drilling a hole in a small rock, where small denotes a rock of under about 60 pounds weight, and one which is portable, and mobile and transportable.]

P.S. Using a roto-hammer drill with a carbide-tipped masonry bit will make the job a thousand times easier than using a conventional drill. You can rent roto-hammer drills by the hour, by the half-day and by the day at the rental departments of home improvement/contractors supply stores and also at equipment rental vendors.

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

The OP never made that clear.

I saw his need to drill a hole as a need to drill a hole into an existing spot somewhere in the wilderness, not a lame rock of his own.

In the one case my post stands, in the other it doesn't, make up your own minds.

P.S. Existing holes in existing rocks are OK, and I know many caches that are in dynamite drill holes in some rockface somewhere.

I saw his need to drill a hole as a need to drill a hole into an existing spot somewhere in the wilderness, not a lame rock of his own.

It was crystal clear to most of us that they are talking about portable sized rocks. There wasn't even a suggestion in the thread about going "into the wilderness" until your flame.

And his rocks didn't sound "lame" at all. In fact, I really like the concept and will try building one myself. Of course I'll use one of my own rocks from the land that I bought and paid for. Heaven forbid that I used a PUBLIC rock from a park or so-called wilderness area that is supported by my tax dollars.

I don't think anyone's talking about drilling holes in the native rocks. Drilling a hole in a rock from home and bringing it to the site has nothing in common with digging a hole to hide the cache. More in common with camo-ing a container, because that's all it is.

The original poster didn't mention what kind of rocks he was talking about. I assumed like most others he was not talking about rocks "native" to the cache area.

One subsequent poster did mention

"I wish there was a battery powered hammerdrill portable enough to get into the back country. I would disappear for hours and come back with big smile on my face."

This one post does seem to imply drilling holes in Native rocks. I hope this was made in jest.

I see nothing wrong with drilling a rock gotten from elsewhere and transported to the cache site. I did this with a tree stump and placed it into an unkempt urban city park. It fits right in and the many people that sit on the large rock next to it have never noticed it was a cache. ( It actually sits between the sidewalk and a busy 6 lane city street).

Waypoints, please?

~*

Massachusetts, and New Hampshire.

Go to some of my finds 2.2K+ and you might figure out which ones. I'm not going to say since all of those drill holes were covered by other flat rocks and you can't even see any suspicious 'little' piles of stones anywhere near the container.

As for container sizes,

Some have been film cans, one of those got frozen into the hole, but a little session of peeing unfroze it, yuck.

One was a gopher/rodent ultrasonic deterrant about 2 feet long. Kind of like, but without the cammo tape, the following item. http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=207281&hl=

The only bison tubes I've seen in rocks have beenin fake rocks and are so obvious that they were lame. Well I think i remember one that was in a real rock that had a hole drilled in it, but there were 25 of us and the uniqueness of it elluded everyone who didn't see it pre-find.

Thanks.

The Broylers

They do make them. We have one at work. There not to big either. You'd just have to bring some back up batteries

You can go buy a real rock and take it home and do what ever you want with it. Drill away all day. You don't even have to buy one. Go find one, take it home. Now it's yours. Have fun with it.

You don't even have to buy one. Go find one, take it home. Now it's yours. Have fun with it.

Depends. Make sure you know the law for the area. Take one out of many (if not all) National Park Service run areas in the US and in many other areas around the world and it is considered theft. Even rocks.

In the 35+ years that I worked for the PA Bureau of Forestry, I sold many mountain stone permits. The price was 2.00 per ton with a minimum permit of 2.5 tons ($5.00 + .30 tax). Pick out the area where you want to put your rock cache, get your permit on State Forest Land for that location, pick out a few rocks you want to try to drill and bring one back to the same location. While you're at it you could build a stone fireplace or outside BBQ. I don't know how many other states allow stone gathering by permit but it's worth the ask from your local Forestry office.

I have found caches in rocks that were drilled for highway cuts. The holes were about 2.5 inches in diameter which is too small for my hand so they must be brought up with a magnet.

You don't even have to buy one. Go find one, take it home. Now it's yours. Have fun with it.

Depends. Make sure you know the law for the area. Take one out of many (if not all) National Park Service run areas in the US and in many other areas around the world and it is considered theft. Even rocks.

Should of made it clearer. Don't gather rocks out of National Parks. We don't have any near me so that didn't even come to mind. Don't take them from your neighbors landscape either. :P

Thanks.

The Broylers

Try a hammerdrill next time. I'll lke a hot knive thru butter. :laughing:

I have an 18 volt battery powered one. Not any bigger than a regular battery powered drill.

Actually, I was just looking for something a little more portable than my trencher.

45525c04-6b6a-4523-befb-ce9d9a0c27eb.jpg

Edited by Team GeoBlast

Should of made it clearer. Don't gather rocks out of National Parks. We don't have any near me so that didn't even come to mind. Don't take them from your neighbors landscape either. :P

What if I don't like my neighbor? What if I think his landscaping NEEDS my assistance to look better? :laughing::laughing::)

Edited by DiamondDaveG

Thanks.

The Broylers

Dewalt 18V with a couple extra batteries.

Edited by Unkle Fester

LMAO!!! When I saw the title of this thread I just KNEW that it would have a post like this one in it. What a putz. Next they'll say, "if the rules (they are actually GUIDELINES) state that you can't use a shovel, then obviously you can't PAINT that ammo can". I suppose that the log that I cut up from MY OWN PROPERTY and took out to the site where I placed my cache is illegal because I used a Chainsaw, Drill, and Chisels to shape a cavity in it for the cache container to fit into? Does it matter if I DRILL into a log or a rock in building a cache? Did you know that they use a DRILL when manufacturing aluminum bison tubes? We better ban those too. No DRILLING into stuff folks, cause that's that same as using a shovel!

[/soapbox]

I also thought the "no shovel" and such was for being able to find the cache.. It's been a while since I read the guidelines, but that's how I took that part of it.

I kind of laughed at that statement also :laughing: :laughing: :)

Thanks.

The Broylers

A masonry bit works for a bison tube. Don't know about a film cannister. Haven't seen a bit that large. Hot melt or epoxy glue should work for attaching the bison tube.

I used a 3/4" masonry bit. I looked at three different hardware stores and that was the largest I found. A hot glue gun works well for keeping the tube in the hole. I actually used a aluminum pill bottle that looks very much like a bison tube (even has a rubber o-ring) that I found at a chain pharmacy store.

What if the rock is someone's pet?

250px-Pet_rock.jpg

For those that didn't follow that link, the Pet Rock was conceived by someone that live in Los Gatos, Ca. I lived in Los Gatos at the time, right across the street from the office of the guy the "invented" the Pet Rock. In fact, he used to park his silver Mercedes (license plate: Pet Rok) in front of my house every day.

[/soapbox]

Maybe reading the guidelines would be helpful when related to posting...calling someone a name is frowned upon.

Also reading the guidelines, you'd note that drilling holes in trees (live or dead) is forbidden, I believe it's frowned upon even if it's your tree, but could be mistaken there. My thought, drilling into rocks isn't the best thing to do. I think the reason is likely the very same as the reason they frown upon digging.

I did it the old fashioned way, I used two 100 year old "star drills" and a mini-sledgehammer. I got a super good forearm and bicep workout to boot! I would work on it, for about 30 minutes, then put it away for another day. I probably invested a few hours into my hide. The cache gots lots of DNFs, a few finds, them a "maggot cacher" stole my rock. I hope they dropped it on their foot, it weighed 30 lbs.

OT but too funny not to respond to!

A cacher here has a huge rock, weighs thousands of pounds, in his front yard. He cemented a cache into a crack and declared it 'muggle-proof'.

A mutual friend with a landscaping business saw this as a challenge, went by one day with his flatbed truck and Bobcat and stole the whole rock! Held it hostage until the owner logged a particularly difficult cache! :D

In the one case my post stands, in the other it doesn't, make up your own minds.

P.S. Existing holes in existing rocks are OK, and I know many caches that are in dynamite drill holes in some rockface somewhere.

Arghh?????? STOP!!!!

Edited by bflentje

Are you sure that you can do that???? Alter a rock (or anything else in the environment) in order to place a hide?

In my case, I just found a rock in my back yard that is a fairly common type of rock around here. Ironically, it's for a cache that is about a "rock" that is most certainly not typically found around here but the hide does carry on the theme of the cache.