What's out of bounds?

Shop99er

Well that was weird! Here's what it said:

Since the coin icon came on the scene the geocoin has become less and less of a geocaching related thing. Every design under the sun has become a 'geocoin' and more of a icon collector's thing.

So, since everything seems to be fair game in the coin rodeo.... what do you think, personally and as a member of the geocoin community, is off limits for subject matter for a coin? What is the one coin (even it it only cost a quarter, was made of gold and had an animated, glow in the dark icon) would you never ever buy, trade for, discover or even lust after?

I'd say I would draw the line at coins as corporate advertisements. Say, a Microsoft coin, or a Starbucks coin. I would not buy, trade, or lust after such coins.

However, I would still probably discover them, and if I received one as an FTF or mission I'd have no qualms about putting it up on eBay! :D

Edited by E&Cplus3

I actually found one at the cache near the Original Stash Plaque yesterday. It was non-trackable and the message was political in nature. I don't care to comment further as I'm sure some people actually share the sentiment on the coin. I found it distastful to say the least. Political issues don't belong on coins, IMO. And even if I agreed with the sentiment, I wouldn't pay for one.

I'd say I would draw the line at coins as corporate advertisements. Say, a Microsoft coin, or a Starbucks coin. I would not buy, trade, or lust after such coins.

However, I would still probably discover them, and if I received one as an FTF or mission I'd have no qualms about putting it up on eBay! :D

If showing that starbucks coin gave me a percentage off my coffee I could! LOL! Just like I hated to see the cows go away down the street to a corporate america strip mall. But oh my! Once that drive thru starbucks started to go up, I was more "okay" with it. :D

I agree, but Garmin has already done that.

All I know is I got a naughty coin coming in the mail that I though I would never see. That makes two coins you have had a part in that I thought I would never see on a coin. Some thing you should seriously be proud of!

J

I actually found one at the cache near the Original Stash Plaque yesterday. It was non-trackable and the message was political in nature. I don't care to comment further as I'm sure some people actually share the sentiment on the coin. I found it distastful to say the least. Political issues don't belong on coins, IMO. And even if I agreed with the sentiment, I wouldn't pay for one.

:D You've got me all curious now! Was it a statement for or against the current administration? Was it boosting a candidate or political party? Supporting or denouncing an election issue? Or was it along the lines of a 'support our troops' kind of statement?

Also, was it handmade, or did somebody shell out some big bucks for this?

:D You've got me all curious now! Was it a statement for or against the current administration? Was it boosting a candidate or political party? Supporting or denouncing an election issue? Or was it along the lines of a 'support our troops' kind of statement?

It was a hot button political issue - not having to do with any candidate or party. Coreynjoey hit on the theme, IMO...although like I said, I'm sure quite a few people would agree whole-heartedly with the slant out of ignorance.

And it was your standard typical 1 1/2" geocoin with multi-colors. Someone paid bucks for a coin to spew their POV, that's for sure.

Hm, and some company agreed to produce it for them?

If it was some type of hate message, I hope you removed the coin from the cache.

It was a hot button political issue - not having to do with any candidate or party. Coreynjoey hit on the theme, IMO...although like I said, I'm sure quite a few people would agree whole-heartedly with the slant out of ignorance.

And it was your standard typical 1 1/2" geocoin with multi-colors. Someone paid bucks for a coin to spew their POV, that's for sure.

I would draw the line that had anything with pghlooking on it or related to him. :):):D I also wouldn't buy a coin that had the Green Bay Packers or Montana Bobcats (football) :P I'd probably draw the line at a Richard Simmons coin too :lol:

Oh don't worry. I have the special AE coin just for you!

I wouldn't buy anything with the Sumatran Elephant on it.

I was following a recent post concerning the selling of mystery coins on Ebay - I wouldn't place a bid on such an item so as to help deter their sale. As far as content on a coin, I'd say I would support a broad spectrum of designs including POVs.

Say there was a coin expressing support for stem cell research. My life might have been deeply touched by the loss of someone who might have been helped by such research and for me, that coin might have particularly stong meaning. To someone else, it might be considered ideological rhetoric and "out of bounds". Who is to say what should be censored.

Karma, AKA Dorkfish, just released a "naked caching" coin. Distasteful? Maybe to some, but she offered the coin in a family-friendle format and I say all the power to her. if someone doesn't appreciate the statement, they need only not buy the darned thing.

As far as "commercial" coins, such as a Garmin coin, or whatever, I can even see some people getting jacked up because they love their Garmin's. if that's what they're into and it makes them happy, I don't think they should be considered "out of bounds". Again, If I'm not into Garmins, then I don't buy the silly things; they just wouldn't have any meaning for me.

I would draw the line that had anything with pghlooking on it or related to him. :):):D I also wouldn't buy a coin that had the Green Bay Packers or Montana Bobcats (football) :) I'd probably draw the line at a Richard Simmons coin too :lol:

hah, funny. There is a Green Bay Packers coin. Trackable too. been out for months :P

:lol: You've got me all curious now! Was it a statement for or against the current administration? Was it boosting a candidate or political party? Supporting or denouncing an election issue? Or was it along the lines of a 'support our troops' kind of statement?

This coin has been in the works for years, and finally came to mint near the first of this year. Threads on many boards including this one were closed for simply discussing it. There is still one forum board where the discussion remains open, and folks do support it.

TMA

:lol: You've got me all curious now! Was it a statement for or against the current administration? Was it boosting a candidate or political party? Supporting or denouncing an election issue? Or was it along the lines of a 'support our troops' kind of statement?

This coin has been in the works for years, and finally came to mint near the first of this year. Threads on many boards including this one were closed for simply discussing it. There is still one forum board where the discussion remains open, and folks do support it.

TMA

It hit our local forum, and we felt it wasn't Geocaching related and removed it. To us it wasn't a question of the issue, but more that it was not related to Geocaching.

However, I would still probably discover them, and if I received one as an FTF or mission I'd have no qualms about putting it up on eBay! :lol:

How about the Garmin coins that are fetching big bucks on e-bay?

However, I would still probably discover them, and if I received one as an FTF or mission I'd have no qualms about putting it up on eBay! :lol:

How about the Garmin coins that are fetching big bucks on e-bay?

Not interested at all! First off, I mostly collect regional coins. Second, Garmin has enough of my money already!

Interesting responses. I guess I don't see why people won't buy a corporate coin if it's nice looking with the argument that it is not caching-related, BUT non-corporate (but still commercial) coins that have nothing to do with caching are ok. I could rattle off a LONG list of recent coins, but don't want any one person/company feeling like they are being singled out.

I'm not interested in anything non-caching-related, period.

Interesting - why not? Do you not want politics involved, or was is that you just disagreed with the POV? Just tryign to see where the line lies...

I would have to agree that any POV coin would be out of bounds. This part and every part of geocaching should be about opening up lines of communication and friendship, not drawing lines on POV or political statement. :)

So, did you not support the Breast Cancer coins and the others like that?

Again, trying to determine if folks don't like to see "issues" as themes for coins, or just issues that they don't agree with.

edit to add: I wouldn't touch a coin with a big weepy-eyed kitty on it. Nobody wants to see that. :lol:

Edited by Kealia

Interesting - why not? Do you not want politics involved, or was is that you just disagreed with the POV? Just tryign to see where the line lies...

Did you read my entire quote there? I said even if I agree with the sentiment, I would not pay for one.

IMO political issues do not belong on coins. The thread asked for our opinion. I'm giving mine.

Did you read my entire quote there? I said even if I agree with the sentiment, I would not pay for one.

IMO political issues do not belong on coins. The thread asked for our opinion. I'm giving mine.

Easy tiger. It was a simple question that I asked. No need to get heated.

Thanks for clarifying that - sometimes it's hard to tell exactly what is being said. Point taken.

Easy tiger. It was a simple question that I asked. No need to get heated.

Thanks for clarifying that - sometimes it's hard to tell exactly what is being said. Point taken.

Who is heated? Certainly not me. The bold was meant to highlight the part of my previous post you might have missed. If I were heated - I would have used all caps. :lol:

All trackable geocoins are commercial to the point of promoting the Geocaching .com website, why should other corporations be left out? Jeep has been a supporter of geocaching as well as Garmin, Magellan, and the others. There are also various coins out promoting different minting places, including tags that come with every coin and are alot of times left in the coin flip when the coin is circulated. These too are companies.

As for out of bounds...I would say racial, hate, political, or ones that just cost too much.

I wish someone would make a free 10 gallon gas coin to be dropped by a gas company.

Interesting responses. I guess I don't see why people won't buy a corporate coin if it's nice looking with the argument that it is not caching-related, BUT non-corporate (but still commercial) coins that have nothing to do with caching are ok. I could rattle off a LONG list of recent coins, but don't want any one person/company feeling like they are being singled out.

I would have to agree that any POV coin would be out of bounds. This part and every part of geocaching should be about opening up lines of communication and friendship, not drawing lines on POV or political statement. :)

Again, trying to determine if folks don't like to see "issues" as themes for coins, or just issues that they don't agree with.

edit to add: I wouldn't touch a coin with a big weepy-eyed kitty on it. Nobody wants to see that. :lol:

I absolutely supported the Breast Cancer coin! Supporting a cure for illness is not a POV or a political stance. I'm rather proud of the various efforts to cure the world's problems that continue to pop up here :D If the subject were gun control, roe vs. wade, anti-anything, etc., etc. then that would be quite different. :P

If the subject were gun control, roe vs. wade, anti-anything, etc., etc. then that would be quite different. :lol:

Well I'm "Anti Stupidity"...does that count?

Lets try to remember that kitty heaven is mousie hell. What's okay for me might not be okay for anyone else.

Personally, I would like to see a Fox VS. Hound coin done in Translucent Red #3 with bits of real flesh and hair mixed in.

I'd like to see a scratch and sniff Yime!

*edited to add.... a scrach and sniff Yime COIN.

Edited by Shop99er

Personally, I would like to see a Fox VS. Hound coin done in Translucent Red #3 with bits of real flesh and hair mixed in.

I'd like to see a scratch and sniff Yime!

*edited to add.... a scrach and sniff Yime COIN.

Wait!! Scratching and sniffing Yime....THAT is Out of Bounds!!!! :lol:

Some coins that may be perceived by some to be more commercial and less associated with geocaching are usually more ornate and 'fun' - just the sort of item that children might enjoy finding in a cache - which makes it geocaching related IMO.

Coins should be fun and or interesting, anything political or controversial should be out of bounds, like someone posted earlier, if it isn't suitable for children to find then it isn't suitable as a geocoin, period.

If the subject were gun control, roe vs. wade, anti-anything, etc., etc. then that would be quite different. :D

Well I'm "Anti Stupidity"...does that count?

Lets try to remember that kitty heaven is mousie hell. What's okay for me might not be okay for anyone else.

I am too, but I still wouldn't buy that coin! :lol::)

Tooey and PengoFamily... would you let your children see the Dookie geocoin? There was no fig leaf :lol:

Funny story... the mint got overenthusiastic when they made the first 3D sample and the statue was rather well endowed. After discussion with Dookie, we decided to err on the side of caution and ask the mint to reduce the size of the 'you-know-what'. The final coin is perfect and much more proportional. The sample coins are to be treasured though... we have one or two, the client has some and someone at Groundspeak with a delightful sense of humour was gifted one along with the final coin so they have a 'set'. Some things just gotta be shared :) .

I would have to agree that any POV coin would be out of bounds. This part and every part of geocaching should be about opening up lines of communication and friendship, not drawing lines on POV or political statement. :lol:

edit to add: I wouldn't touch a coin with a big weepy-eyed kitty on it. Nobody wants to see that. :D

I absolutely supported the Breast Cancer coin! Supporting a cure for illness is not a POV or a political stance. I'm rather proud of the various efforts to cure the world's problems that continue to pop up here :) If the subject were gun control, roe vs. wade, anti-anything, etc., etc. then that would be quite different. :P

animal testing.

i support the breast cancer coin, i'm just saying.. it is an issue that some might disagree with..

I would have to agree that any POV coin would be out of bounds. This part and every part of geocaching should be about opening up lines of communication and friendship, not drawing lines on POV or political statement. :lol:

edit to add: I wouldn't touch a coin with a big weepy-eyed kitty on it. Nobody wants to see that. :P

I absolutely supported the Breast Cancer coin! Supporting a cure for illness is not a POV or a political stance. I'm rather proud of the various efforts to cure the world's problems that continue to pop up here :D If the subject were gun control, roe vs. wade, anti-anything, etc., etc. then that would be quite different. :)

animal testing.

i support the breast cancer coin, i'm just saying.. it is an issue that some might disagree with..

Anti-animal testing is a POV. Methods and practices are POV. I don't think seeking cures for any illness as an ideal counts as a POV. How it's done maybe, but not the ideal itself. Just one guy's opinion :)

Tooey and PengoFamily... would you let your children see the Dookie geocoin? There was no fig leaf :D

Funny story... the mint got overenthusiastic when they made the first 3D sample and the statue was rather well endowed. After discussion with Dookie, we decided to err on the side of caution and ask the mint to reduce the size of the 'you-know-what'. The final coin is perfect and much more proportional. The sample coins are to be treasured though... we have one or two, the client has some and someone at Groundspeak with a delightful sense of humour was gifted one along with the final coin so they have a 'set'. Some things just gotta be shared :lol: .

:) Well I would take children to an art gallery - and they are going to see lots of dingalings there, it's the context in which it is portrayed - I am not familiar with the Dookie geocoin, so I cannot answer specifically. If I saw a geocoin with a beautiful rendition of Michelangelo's David on it - I would love it. Art is treasure, art on coins = treasure, so I definitely would not object to finding such an item in a cache. I appreciate for some it would not be considered to be related to geocaching - but that's what I like about this game, the diversity and the freedom for everyone to play it the way they want to. But I think if there is something inappropriate that is sending out a 'message' then that should not be allowed - but how does one control that - you can't basically, but most people can use their common sense, like finding matches in a cache or edible things - just remove them and dispose of. A note in the log will suffice unless it known who left the offending item. But for coins with 'messages' - I would suggest that they are removed and disposed of and just not mentioned - since it allows the offending message to spread, even in a negative way, spreading the 'message' is the intent, so least said the better IMO.