Show off your top performing caches....

Snoogans

Here are my top performers:

One Degree of Separation 272 (event)

I Love the Smell of Napalm in the Morning!!! 203 (virtual)

Houston's 1st Travel Bug Bed & Breakfast 165 (archived)

The FrogStar (West) 161

Veet Voojagig's Ballpoint Planet 151

The Distance - Mammoth Lakes, California 138

Houston's 2nd Travel Bug Bed & Breakfast 147

The 395 TB TIME-OUT! & TB Sin Confessional 110

Quantum Leap 94

Performance is directly tied to the number of times it's been found? Huh! We've got beginner's cache in a little park that has been found some 297 times. Folks seem to like it because of the setting and as an introduction to geocaching depending on their view.

I don't know if I agree with basing "performance" on the number of times it has been found, though. A cache that has been out a lot longer could indicate it is a higher performer than a much newer cache even though the newer cache is getting found a lot more often.

Even if you average the finds over time it doesn't really say anything more than how often it gets found. This could be a combination of how well the cache is hyped, the write up, the reputation of the hider, or the convenience factor of the find.

This frequency of find can be a valuable tool depending on which end of the scale you're looking. Folks who are after numbers runs could look for caches that on average get found more often. Folks who are looking at a challenge would look at the other end--caches that go months or years between finds would certainly up the potential adventure level. Thing is, caches at either end could be considered a "high performing cache." It just depends on the reason behind it.

I've gotta jump on the wagon with CR . . . my caches with top finds are two of my oldest and located at rest stops on I55.

MO I-55 South Rest Area Exit 110

Has 123 Finds

MO I-55 North Rest Area Exit 110

Has 107 finds

I've had some nice comments on both, but they are basically a place to get out and stretch your legs.

Klaus' Cache and Release, with 63 finds, by comments, is probably one of my post popular caches.

But like CR said, everybody's tastes differ. I have some regular caches that are short, medium and long hikes, with beautiful scenery, that don't get found very often. I have a series called 'Forgotten History:" that are popular among history buffs. I have a series called "Go Take A Walk!" that are popular among people that either like urban walks or numbers (they can drive to parking areas along the trail and hop their way along). I have regulars that are scattered around and get a fair amount of visitors, and some get some very nice comments.

The whole thing is very subjective . . . :P

Cache On!

JohnTee

For me it would have to be Lame Roadside Cache #44: Harriman Turnout with 288 finds since 2004. It's a regular sized lock and lock at a little pullout with a nice view of Harriman Reservoir on Rt 9 in Vermont.

This cache has been a bit of a pain because people insist on moving it from its hiding spot. Every time I've visited it, I had to re-hide it where I originally put it.

The amazing thing about this one, is that it's usually under snow for 3 months of the year and unavailable. Even with that, it has over 100 more finds than my # 2 performer, which has been around since Jan 2002.

Edited by briansnat

Performance is directly tied to the number of times it's been found? Huh! We've got beginner's cache in a little park that has been found some 297 times. Folks seem to like it because of the setting and as an introduction to geocaching depending on their view.

I don't know if I agree with basing "performance" on the number of times it has been found, though. A cache that has been out a lot longer could indicate it is a higher performer than a much newer cache even though the newer cache is getting found a lot more often.

Even if you average the finds over time it doesn't really say anything more than how often it gets found. This could be a combination of how well the cache is hyped, the write up, the reputation of the hider, or the convenience factor of the find.

This frequency of find can be a valuable tool depending on which end of the scale you're looking. Folks who are after numbers runs could look for caches that on average get found more often. Folks who are looking at a challenge would look at the other end--caches that go months or years between finds would certainly up the potential adventure level. Thing is, caches at either end could be considered a "high performing cache." It just depends on the reason behind it.

I would base the performance my caches on the Longest "found it" logs, not the total number of finds.

Here are my top performers:

I assume that by "top performer" you are referring only to the number of finds logged for the cache, and that you did not mean to imply that a larger number of finds indicates a "better" cache.

If you were trying to equate high find counts with high quality I would have to disagree with you.

My top numbers performer is Virginia and Bobby Brown (GCGW0T), hidden in September of 2003. It has 241 finds as of today. Because it’s near the airport I placed it under my CaptRussell account. It is in a tiny street corner gazebo park, really more of a landscape decoration that a park. "Easy" was the primary concept behind the design, and little else. I wanted to own a cache that was easy, near the airport, easy, close to hotels and restaurants, easy, simple to maintain, easy, findable even without a GPS, and ... did I mention easy?

I have placed several other caches that I think are far superior because they are either more interesting or more challenging, but those hides get fewer finds, and for understandable reasons.

Variety is good.

I would base the performance my caches on the Longest "found it" logs, not the total number of finds.

In that case, at the opposite end of the difficulty scale would be Sissy's Snarky Walk #1. It's averaging 189 words per find log of which there are 32.

The one with the most finds is second lowest average word count which is around 30 words. That's not in the "TFTC TNLNSL"-type range of caches which average around half that, though.

Well, my "top performer" is a LPC I placed after I dislocated my kneecap back in 2005 and could only hunt for caches with a Terrain rating of '1." It has had 184 finders.

However, the longest "Found it" logs are on two other caches I placed, "San Diego County "Historic" Cache Adventure" and "San Diego "Historic" Cache Adventure -- V.2.0." I doubt if more than a few people per year will find those caches.

Personally, I think my top "Performers" take people to awesome viewpoints, even if only ten people per year make that short hike. :P

13fd02a1-24fb-4295-8873-d17051ed5d61.jpg

I agree with the others that the easier the cache the more it will get visited. I also agree that longer logs are more indicative of cachers having more fun. My San Jacinto Peak cache is my personal favorite. It is a 4 star terrain cache and it has been visited 77 times! If you are ever in Palm Springs when the peak isn't covered in deep snow, you should bag it! :P

Edited by TrailGators

I have to agree with CR. Performance is not a function of how many people find it.

I have a PNG in a commuter lot that has been found so often I've had to change the log three times in the two years it's been in place, but the one I get the most appreciative coments on is just as old and only been found a few dozen times. As a seeker I find both types depending on when and where I have the oppoutunity to cache, but I also like the longer-hike/more creative hides the best.

AK

Its not the number of finds that make a good high performance cache. I have some caches that I look forward to receiving a DNF, for I know that I have hid it well. And the length and content of the logs is a very important factor, for the fiders will tell you a very interesting story.

1. Corey's Stash and Bug Hotel - Hidden 11/25/01 339 finds 1d x 1t

2. Bishops Staff Hidden 11/09/03 15 finds 2d x 4.5t

3. Grey Diamond Ghost Trail Hidden 11/18/01 15 finds 5d x 4t

Edited by Tahosa and Sons

I only have 2 hides (and one is brand new LOL) so I'd say my backyard Blackbird Estates cache is my top performer LOL 150 finds with a backyard cache in the city..... can't really say its terrible :) And would you believe, after all this time I have YET to be home when the cachers came :lol:

I didn't do it for "great landscape to share with others" - I did it to try and meet other local cachers... hasn't seemed to work LOL

Nothing to show off because these weren't put out to be memorable. We wanted these to be quick and easy for interstate travelers who might want to stop and stretch their legs at a couple of nice Texas rest stops. Suffice it to say, they serve their purpose well with the resulting logs being short and sweet, which is of course, expected!

I10 T Stop!

and

CE's Offspring - Highway Rumble

at (i'm guessing) around 180 or more finds each... They show over 190 logs a piece but i know that not all those are find logs and i'm too lazy to do a manual count. :lol:

In that case, at the opposite end of the difficulty scale would be Sissy's Snarky Walk #1. It's averaging 189 words per find log of which there are 32.

The one with the most finds is second lowest average word count which is around 30 words. That's not in the "TFTC TNLNSL"-type range of caches which average around half that, though.

Lots of ways to spin the cache performance stats. I think if you remove logs from cache pages and make them private you would reduce the incentive to just toss the caches out there to get the most finds... :lol:

My best performing cache by the simple measure of "has the logs I enjoy the most" is Joint Venture At Crater Rings.

This is, of course, a perplexity that I have pondered. Do I want my caches to be popular? Or do I want them to be really great spots? I've worked at trying to combine both, but not always with success.

My most logged cache: Cache with a View 109 finds in 3.5 years. It does have a nice view, but it is a rest area cache.

IMHO, the best view is at Weehawken View . Still a drive by, but a mystery cache. 36 finds in 3 years and 5 months. This one does get great logs.

I also hike in the hills of northwest Jersey, and have several caches there. Beautiful areas, but with a hike of a mile or more. One of them hasn't had a find in over a yearl. (Yup. Its still there.)

I've tried combining urban areas with good views, with some success. Getting good logs with my Central Park cache.

My second most logged cache is Mount Washington Webcam. 78 logs in 3 years. But it also the most frustrating. This is a web cam, people! Photo taken by the webcam is required to log it!!!!

Hey. I've got some very nice caches in great places. Ya don't want to hike a couple of miles for a nice experience? Not my problem. Give it a try! Into numbers? I've got a few drive bys too.

My best cache (Ring of Fire) has only 71 finds in almost 4 years. But then it is in the sticks and all but one of mine are out of the way.

In terms of best logs I would have to say the same one.

I have only one near any city of size and that one is a puzzle so it doesn't get too many finds either. But it is picking up steam now that some have found it and are talking.

My best cache (Ring of Fire) has only 71 finds in almost 4 years. But then it is in the sticks and all but one of mine are out of the way.

In terms of best logs I would have to say the same one.

I have only one near any city of size and that one is a puzzle so it doesn't get too many finds either. But it is picking up steam now that some have found it and are talking.

Cracked most of the code. What a cool idea! Even without going to find it, your cache does show pretty well that the number of logs has nothing to do with the awesomeness of the hide.

Wish I lived near you so I could find it.

Edited by miles_vagar

i have one that i adopted, GCJYW0 Petsmart Unofficial Cache, with 279 finds. Was placed in '04

i have another that i adopted, GCJYW5 Robinson Unofficial Cache, with 230 finds, 3 DNF's. Also placed in '04

I have one that i placed in '06 (when i started this game), GCY8DP Blue Light Special, with 79 finds, 1 DNF