I crossed a FTF nut's path...

Sioneva

... and made the mistake of saying that I was FTF on a cache he says he was FTF on. At the time, I thought I was, I can't remember well enough now to actually be sure anymore. I don't care either way to be honest, I'm just steaming over this log he left on the cache in question (edited for anonymity and family friendliness):

October 6 by [FTF NUT] (519 found)

***FTF***

I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE **censored** "Sioneva" FOUND BUT IF YOU LOOK AT THE LOGBOOK IT CLEARLY STATES [FTF NUT] IN RED INK "FTF"

THAT**censored**MIGHTWORKWITHSOMEONEELSE

:laughing: I know others have run into this sort of thing, but it's the first time for me. The pity is, that the event run by the placer of the cache was great otherwise, and there are a lot of caches in that area... but I'm kinda soured on the idea of going back there to hunt any of them now. Which is an overreaction, I know, but.

+1 on the "don't let it bug ya" category.

I'm somewhat of an FTF NUT but the only thing that rags me is those caches that are "found" even before they are listed. Just had one of those, but I'm +1 on the "don't let it bug ya" category so it ain't too much a big deal. There'll be another one soon.

RATTLEBARS

***FTF***

I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE **censored** "Sioneva" FOUND BUT IF YOU LOOK AT THE LOGBOOK IT CLEARLY STATES [FTF NUT] IN RED INK "FTF"

:laughing: I know others have run into this sort of thing, but it's the first time for me. The pity is, that the event run by the placer of the cache was great otherwise, and there are a lot of caches in that area... but I'm kinda soured on the idea of going back there to hunt any of them now. Which is an overreaction, I know, but.

Ha ha, wow. Yea nut is right.

I've thought I was FTF when I was actually signing the back of the log and there were plenty of signers on the correct front page (it was dark OK) before, and there's nothing wrong with correcting someone else's mistaken log, but wow.

That cacher is in a game all his own!

I know we irked a few FTF nuts last weekend! MiGO had it's Fall Fun Day (event to honor our members I suppose), they had a game which required placing game pieces (letters) in 7 of 12 new caches, our job was to place those pieces.

I told the PTB that this would upset some and I'd just not sign the logbooks, but they insisted, so I did...and I was right! Yes, I was given the coords before others, but if not me, someone else would have had to. A few were upset. No, we didn't take anything (except for one cache which had a geogirls duck in it...a friend's duck at that) even though most had a nice new coin in them.

Hey, we had the coords to all 12 (and there were something like 30+ more new hides in the park as well), we could have FTF'd all of those 12!! And never mind that this took us several hours, we had 2 DNF's, had to go back out early the next morning and finish AND that we couldn't participate in the game...they were upset we got the FTFs...someone had to do it!

... and made the mistake of saying that I was FTF on a cache he says he was FTF on. At the time, I thought I was, I can't remember well enough now to actually be sure anymore. I don't care either way to be honest, I'm just steaming over this log he left on the cache in question (edited for anonymity and family friendliness):

***FTF***

No - this isn't an FTF nut you've found. There are plenty of them, and being an FTF nut does not make them a rude foulmouted boor. This is a rude obnoxious brat, without the social skills to be permitted out in public.

***FTF***

:D I know others have run into this sort of thing, but it's the first time for me. The pity is, that the event run by the placer of the cache was great otherwise, and there are a lot of caches in that area... but I'm kinda soured on the idea of going back there to hunt any of them now. Which is an overreaction, I know, but.

No - this isn't an FTF nut you've found. There are plenty of them, and being an FTF nut does not make them a rude foulmouted boor. This is a rude obnoxious brat, without the social skills to be permitted out in public.

Entirely true! It is because of such persons that God created euthanasia. Such a person should be euthanized after a sound and lengthy public spanking!

The funny thing is that I met him at the event. And he seemed quiet, but nice and normal enough.

But... *boggle*

He's deleted the log and re-logged since I changed my log, but there's still a snarky comment in his log on one of the other caches in the area. Some people.

***FTF***

:mad: I know others have run into this sort of thing, but it's the first time for me. The pity is, that the event run by the placer of the cache was great otherwise, and there are a lot of caches in that area... but I'm kinda soured on the idea of going back there to hunt any of them now. Which is an overreaction, I know, but.

I'm with Nick, this guy is just plain rude. :D

this is a hobby, and it is one that Children are involved in.

I'm as keen as the next guy, especially on a Saturday morning, but i just hope none of our local cachers end up like this.

And on the FTF Race, 14 FTF's at an event is just GREEDY. :o The joy is in the hunt. and FTF's are nice (i have 2 out of 34 finds) but give others a chance. This is the only opertunity that some people get to FTF. Give others a chance.

Get out there and fnd those other cachers and don't worry this is probably the guy at the event that everyone was watching but no one wanted to talk too... :)

Happy Caching

I know we irked a few FTF nuts last weekend! MiGO had it's Fall Fun Day (event to honor our members I suppose), they had a game which required placing game pieces (letters) in 7 of 12 new caches, our job was to place those pieces.

I told the PTB that this would upset some and I'd just not sign the logbooks, but they insisted, so I did...and I was right! Yes, I was given the coords before others, but if not me, someone else would have had to. A few were upset. No, we didn't take anything (except for one cache which had a geogirls duck in it...a friend's duck at that) even though most had a nice new coin in them.

Hey, we had the coords to all 12 (and there were something like 30+ more new hides in the park as well), we could have FTF'd all of those 12!! And never mind that this took us several hours, we had 2 DNF's, had to go back out early the next morning and finish AND that we couldn't participate in the game...they were upset we got the FTFs...someone had to do it!

So that's how you did it! I was wondering how you had beaten us to a couple of caches. My group did FTF on one of the ones you didn't hit, and we were the first group to hit another after the game started. Couldn't figure out how you'd beat us to the cache though. However, it didn't bother me, as I'm not an FTF nut.

Cheers-

moscow

And on the FTF Race, 14 FTF's at an event is just GREEDY. :D The joy is in the hunt. and FTF's are nice (i have 2 out of 34 finds) but give others a chance. This is the only opertunity that some people get to FTF. Give others a chance.

I have to disagree. "The joy is in the hunt" for some people, but obviously for this guy the joy is in being FTF. And why would others enjoy being FTF if they knew that some people intentionally held back to "give them a chance"? It would seem a rather hollow accomplishment, unless they are maybe in kindergarten.

However, I completely agree with the previous posters (especially OldNickCov) who describe this guy as a "rude foulmouthed boor" and an "obnoxious brat". He is all that and worse -- but not for being an FTF hound. It's because he's a childish, sore-winning, chest-thumping, caps-lock-shouting, ill-mannered lout, plain and simple.

I say FTF is the first person to find the cache then sign the log. Even with a group usually only one person spots it first. But that doesn't take into account pre-publication finds. That's why there's also:

FTS (First to Sign): Log is signed by someone accompanying the owner while placing the cache. No "finding" was required. Some people even sign in the second slot to give the FTF hounds that extra little rush.

FTFP (First to Find Published): First person to find a cache after it was published. This is for caches where friends of the owner got advance notice of the hide and signed it early.

On a slightly different topic, I only have one active cache, but I'm working on a few more. If BLOODLUST signed my logs like he's been signing others (profanity, insults, and worst of all CAPS LOCK ON), I'd immediately forward the log link to Groundspeak then delete the log. I'd probably also forward links to more of his logs. I work around construction quite a bit, so foul language doesn't bother me... but this is a family friendly site and I'd like to keep it that way. Yes, that is a link to his/her profile... I'm pretty sure he/she could care less about being anonymous.

I once logged a FTF on the cache page (I was the first to log) and then a friend logged the second to find a little bit later. We didn't find the cache together. The next folks to log were peeved because they said they had found the cache first. It seems they had signed the LAST page of the log - I believe by mistake - so I didn't see their signatures. My friend who signed a short time after I did hadn't seen the other signatures either. While I'm an admitted FTF hound I was happy to amend my log to correct the error. I have no desire to claim the FTF when I wasn't actually first. I wasn't upset to be corrected but it wasn't done in a mean way either so it was really no big deal.

I once logged a FTF on the cache page (I was the first to log) and then a friend logged the second to find a little bit later. We didn't find the cache together. The next folks to log were peeved because they said they had found the cache first. It seems they had signed the LAST page of the log - I believe by mistake - so I didn't see their signatures. My friend who signed a short time after I did hadn't seen the other signatures either. While I'm an admitted FTF hound I was happy to amend my log to correct the error. I have no desire to claim the FTF when I wasn't actually first. I wasn't upset to be corrected but it wasn't done in a mean way either so it was really no big deal.

I had that happen to me once. I signed in the spot that said "FTF," but the actual FTF signed on the back page a day earlier (without logging his find yet.) It made for an interesting email from him. I gratiously changed my log to 2TF.

As for the OP's dilemma, the cacher in question strikes me as immature/childish. His writing style is "teenager." If it was me, I'd whip him the old fashioned way by beating him at his own game. I'd love to beat him to FTF on a few caches to razzle him. :D

Edited by Kit Fox

When we started up our local club we had seriously considered limiting it to the Eastern side of the state. (True story)

Now you know why. :D

Sometime, I'll actually make it over to eastern Iowa.

I'd be happy to point out a few worth going for, just stay alway from our newly placed caches! :mad:

:o

When we started up our local club we had seriously considered limiting it to the Eastern side of the state. (True story)

Now you know why. :o

Sometime, I'll actually make it over to eastern Iowa.

I'd be happy to point out a few worth going for, just stay alway from our newly placed caches! :D

:D

You are joking... right? :D:):mad:

BAH! I don't care! All your FTF belong to me! :)

If I were the cache owner, I would've deleted his log as soon as I saw that garbage. He obviously thinks he's pretty funny, but there is no need to be rude and annoying.

Based on his profile page, it seems that he's somewhat intimate with the owner of many of those caches. :mad: That's probably why they don't get deleted.

The little boy would benefit from some 'wall to wall' counseling. :D

How do these caches have finds logged before they are published? Am I missing something? :D

This has been discussed many times before in many different threads. Sometimes a cache hider will disseminate waypoint coordinates or even copies of the cache listing page privately -- and prior to publication at geocaching.com -- to friends or via their local geocaching organization, or at an event. In fact, this is a somewhat commonplace practice for some new caches in some parts of the country.

If I were the cache owner, I would've deleted his log as soon as I saw that garbage. He obviously thinks he's pretty funny, but there is no need to be rude and annoying.

Based on his profile page, it seems that he's somewhat intimate with the owner of many of those caches. :mad: That's probably why they don't get deleted.

The little boy would benefit from some 'wall to wall' counseling. :D

I noticed the same foto and its accompanying love note yesterday when perusing his cache listing page! Despite its crudity, I was rolling on the floor laughing out loud! Very bizarre! This guy has some very aggressive ways of expressing his crushes!

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

I my area, If you were with the cacher when it was hidden or they had you check the coords (find it before publication), you sign the book and wait to log until 3 or 4 people have signed it. Then when logging on the site, you state you were a beta tester. haven't had any fights here as far as I know.

And on the FTF Race, 14 FTF's at an event is just GREEDY. :D The joy is in the hunt. and FTF's are nice (i have 2 out of 34 finds) but give others a chance. This is the only opertunity that some people get to FTF. Give others a chance.

I have to disagree. "The joy is in the hunt" for some people, but obviously for this guy the joy is in being FTF. And why would others enjoy being FTF if they knew that some people intentionally held back to "give them a chance"? It would seem a rather hollow accomplishment, unless they are maybe in kindergarten.

Highlighted by Ljay

Fair point Hermit Crab, i just think it would be nice if some of these 'Nuts' would give others a chance.

The 2 i got were close together on the same day. I will admit that after getting the first if i had met another cacher, especially a newer cacher or family, on route to the second i would have let them claim the FTF and happily taken 2tf.

Around here there is friendly banter re the FTF race and i just find the degree that this cacher takes it to as distasteful.

A newbie reading that would be put off. I know it would have put me off caching when i first started if i was encountering that.

Happy Caching is without the nuts (unless they are for the Squirells (or the Goat))

And on the FTF Race, 14 FTF's at an event is just GREEDY. B) The joy is in the hunt. and FTF's are nice (i have 2 out of 34 finds) but give others a chance. This is the only opertunity that some people get to FTF. Give others a chance.

Highlighted by Ljay

Fair point Hermit Crab, i just think it would be nice if some of these 'Nuts' would give others a chance.

The 2 i got were close together on the same day. I will admit that after getting the first if i had met another cacher, especially a newer cacher or family, on route to the second i would have let them claim the FTF and happily taken 2tf.

Around here there is friendly banter re the FTF race and i just find the degree that this cacher takes it to as distasteful.

A newbie reading that would be put off. I know it would have put me off caching when i first started if i was encountering that.

Happy Caching is without the nuts (unless they are for the Squirells (or the Goat))

I totally agree about being put off by that particular character -- and not just as a newbie. But what I find off-putting is his attitude and logging style, not the fact that he enjoys the FTF race and appears to be very good at it.

There are several "usual suspects" in the FTF races around here, and luckily for our area, not a single one behaves anything remotely like the "nut" in question. I truly enjoy reading the logs of the FTF winners (and losers) -- they are always interesting, often funny, and always gracious to the hider who provided their excitement for the day. Like those in your area, they often include friendly ribbing between the FTF and subsequent finders, but are never rude or obnoxious about it like this guy is.

And on those occasions when someone new is FTF, it's much sweeter for them when they see one of the "usual suspects" heading in to the cache as they are heading out, than it would be for them to hear later that others could have beat them to the cache but decided to "let" someone else get it first.

I went to a cache yesterday that had not yet been posted as found.. In the cache when I got there was a slip in it that said the bearer of this slip is the FTF. I'm new to Geocaching but when I saw this slip I thought it was a great idea... If every one put a slip like that in their new cache's it would help solve the confusion of who might be FTF.. I do think it's cool to be the FTF especially when others had looked for it before you and weren't able to find it.. But at the same time it's not that big of a deal to get all worked up over.. There will be others....

Out here in California, Geocaching is a family based sport/hobby. We have a daycare and go geocaching as fieldtrips. I read some of the other post that this :grin: "F2F nut" B) has posted, and they seem pretty agressive. I think for the integrety of the sport, geocachers should adopt some form of ethical behavior guidelines in order to participate as well as post on geocaching.com. Let's keep it clean and respectable. It only takes one bad apple...

Well just my two cents, I love the sport and the people......well 99.999999 percent B)

There are several "usual suspects" in the FTF races around here, and luckily for our area, not a single one behaves anything remotely like the "nut" in question. I truly enjoy reading the logs of the FTF winners (and losers) -- they are always interesting, often funny, and always gracious to the hider who provided their excitement for the day. Like those in your area, they often include friendly ribbing between the FTF and subsequent finders, but are never rude or obnoxious about it like this guy is.

Yes we have a few FTF hounds in our area, and they are quite pleasant people. Their logs are fun to read, especially the ribbing that goes on between them.

How do these caches have finds logged before they are published? Am I missing something? :grin:

This has been discussed many times before in many different threads. Sometimes a cache hider will disseminate waypoint coordinates or even copies of the cache listing page privately -- and prior to publication at geocaching.com -- to friends or via their local geocaching organization, or at an event. In fact, this is a somewhat commonplace practice for some new caches in some parts of the country.

B)

Isn't this a mite unethical?

I am admittedly a noob to geocaching, but this strikes me as something that would warrant an auto-archive.

Not much to say about a first to find...if only you were privy to it's existance.

Edited by Fogtripper