All finds/no hides

CajanCacheMan

There are some cachers in my area #71107 that all they do is find caches,looking at their profiles,they do not have any hides,how can a cacher not hide any,i thought this was the fun part of it finding a unique place to hide them.this has got to be pretty boring.am i missing something here fellow cachers?

Edited by CajanCacheMan

There are some cachers in my area #71107 that all they do is find caches,looking at their profiles,they do not have any hides,how can a cacher not hide any,i thought this was the fun part of it finding a unique place to hide them.this has got to be pretty boring.a i missing something here fellow cachers?

I've been caching since '03 and have no hides. To each his own.

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/Default.aspx?id=153560

Edited by Finders_Jeepers
There are some cachers in my area #71107 that all they do is find caches,looking at their profiles,they do not have any hides,how can a cacher not hide any,i thought this was the fun part of it finding a unique place to hide them.this has got to be pretty boring.am i missing something here fellow cachers?
There are plenty of caches in most places so it's not like there is a huge need.

I enjoyed placing my first hide, and am looking now that I am gaining some experience as to what others hide, and their hide techniques... I'm personally looking forward to some future hides. I'm currently awaiting approval and permission for two hides, and have at least 6 planned.

Even tho I enjoy the hunt... and love looking for caches... I think I get a little more fun out of watching and waiting for my hidden cache... to be discovered! I love the reaction!

I too believe it all depends on the cacher. Some people are just hunters by nature. Or maybe they are too nervous to put one out there for everyone to judge. I love hiding caches. Right now, I am trying to NOT hide caches. Unless I come up with an extraordinary container. something that even my best friend in the world would never be able to find. :D

Thing is, some people are either unwilling or simply unable to hide and properly maintain a cache. For example, someone who can only cache sporadically due to family/work/health reasons may not be able to maintain a hide, but can still find the occasional opportunity to find them. I'll use myself for another example: I've been traveling alot for work in the last few months, so while I've had numerous opportunities to find caches far and wide, I've only hidden one cache since February.

There are plenty of valid reasons why people stop hiding caches (busy work schedule, unable to maintain anymore caches, etc), but i've yet to see a truly valid reason why cachers with hundreds to thousands of finds have zero hides. I personally think it is a bit selfish to never hide a cache, if your an active cache finder.

I have 91 active hides, and love "giving back" to the sport.

Edited by Kit Fox

There are plenty of valid reasons why people stop hiding caches (busy work schedule, unable to maintain anymore caches, etc), but i've yet to see a truly valid reason why cachers with hundreds to thousands of finds have zero hides. I personally think it is a bit selfish to never hide a cache, if your an active cache finder.

We're all in this for the fun of it. What point is there in insisting that someone do something that isn't fun for them? They're not getting paid for it. There's no shortage of caches. Other people enjoy hiding caches more and, consequently, hide more caches. It doesn't really matter if some people just don't want to.

We're all in this for the fun of it. What point is there in insisting that someone do something that isn't fun for them? They're not getting paid for it. There's no shortage of caches. Other people enjoy hiding caches more and, consequently, hide more caches. It doesn't really matter if some people just don't want to.

I never insisted that everyone hide caches. I stated my opinion about active cachers that have zero hides, but actively hunt and find caches. I was not referring to cachers that stopped hiding caches, due to different circumstances. Your case is good reason why cachers shouldn't hide anymore caches.

I think that anyone with zero hides should have to pay Geocaching.com, say something like $3 per month, for the privilege of going to look for caches. Of course if the person never logs their finds online we might have trouble collecting from them. That's why when I check on the caches that I've hidden, I always cross out any names in the cache log who didn't log online. If these people don't want to participate in the game the way they should be participating, then I'm going to do my part to keep them out <_<

On a more serious note, in areas where geocaching is just starting out, the game depends on people being willing to hide and maintain caches for others to find. It makes sense in these areas to encourage people to hide caches. Still requiring a certain ratio of hides to finds or even requiring someone to have at least one hide if that person doesn't feel like they could do a good job hiding a cache seems to be going too far. In areas where the game is well established there are enough people who like hiding caches to ensure there are plenty to be found and here it would make more sense to discourage the people who aren't very good at it from hiding more caches :huh:

On this subject, is there a "Read this first" entry for establishing a cache. Something along the lines of rules... what do include... what NOT to include or guidelines on where it can/can't be hidden? I'm sure it's here somewhere... can someone point me in the right direction? THANKS!! <_<

I never insisted that everyone hide caches. I stated my opinion about active cachers that have zero hides, but actively hunt and find caches. I was not referring to cachers that stopped hiding caches, due to different circumstances. Your case is good reason why cachers shouldn't hide anymore caches.

We know why they quit hiding in our area don't we Bill.

Edited by GarminArmin
I think that anyone with zero hides should have to pay Geocaching.com, say something like $3 per month, for the privilege of going to look for caches. Of course if the person never logs their finds online we might have trouble collecting from them. That's why when I check on the caches that I've hidden, I always cross out any names in the cache log who didn't log online. If these people don't want to participate in the game the way they should be participating, then I'm going to do my part to keep them out <_<

On a more serious note, in areas where geocaching is just starting out, the game depends on people being willing to hide and maintain caches for others to find. It makes sense in these areas to encourage people to hide caches. Still requiring a certain ratio of hides to finds or even requiring someone to have at least one hide if that person doesn't feel like they could do a good job hiding a cache seems to be going too far. In areas where the game is well established there are enough people who like hiding caches to ensure there are plenty to be found and here it would make more sense to discourage the people who aren't very good at it from hiding more caches :huh:

Some good points. It does depend on the area. I don't think people should feel pressure to hide caches because I think it can lead to caches just placed for the sake of being placed. So people should wait to place a cache until they have come up with a good idea of some sort.

I know what you meant. I wasn't taking it personally. Some people never take intrest in finding caches, therefore they never look (and never become geocachers). Some people don't get excited about hiding caches, and therefore never hide any. It's really not a problem. Not everyone has to hide a cache to keep this sport going.

For some reason, I'm thinking of an old man feeding pigeons in a park. One day he says, "Crud, I've been giving food to you guys for years, and you've never once fed me." I don't know why I thought of that. Maybe it's because I see geocaching as an altruistic action, rather than a business transaction.

You never know what is going on in someone else's life. I have a friend who has been caching awhile and closing in on 1,000 mark and has hidden zero caches. If you know her, you know of the issues within her family that allows time to maybe cache two or three days a month. Maintaining a cache would not fit into her family obligations. Me, I have only hidden 2 caches. Currently I work 2 1/2 hours from my home and travel often around the country. I often don't know where I'll be next, so maintaing more caches is out of the question. And lets face it, some people don't have the creative "hide a cache" gene in them. So maybe instead they attend every CITO in their area, run a regional website, bring great food to events, serve on a local committe, or just write great logs. There are lots of reasons and plenty of other ways to give back to the sport.

You never know what is going on in someone else's life. I have a friend who has been caching awhile and closing in on 1,000 mark and has hidden zero caches. If you know her, you know of the issues within her family that allows time to maybe cache two or three days a month. Maintaining a cache would not fit into her family obligations. Me, I have only hidden 2 caches. Currently I work 2 1/2 hours from my home and travel often around the country. I often don't know where I'll be next, so maintaing more caches is out of the question. And lets face it, some people don't have the creative "hide a cache" gene in them. So maybe instead they attend every CITO in their area, run a regional website, bring great food to events, serve on a local committe, or just write great logs. There are lots of reasons and plenty of other ways to give back to the sport.
I agree! <_<

On this subject, is there a "Read this first" entry for establishing a cache. Something along the lines of rules... what do include... what NOT to include or guidelines on where it can/can't be hidden? I'm sure it's here somewhere... can someone point me in the right direction? THANKS!! <_<

Welcome to the sport! :huh:

The best advice I have heard and stuck to was find at least 15 - 30 caches first get an idea of what work and doesn't work. don't hide a cache just to hide one, Use good, watertight cache containers I use lock&Locks, Ammo cans ect I want my caches to last nothing worse than a lousy container full of water and a ruined logbook and Swag

Everyone who finds a cache and logs it is "giving back" to the sport.

Some people may not be interested in hiding caches - that's fine by me and I don't care whether they have a "valid" reason or not. I have quite a few active caches, but they were mostly placed for selfish reasons anyway.

Let's do an analogy. Let's say that caches are children. Some people want to have 8 kids, some want 2.5 kids, and some don't want to have any.

Let's take the hypothetical couple who don't want to have any kids. Let's say that the wife is a 3rd grade teacher. She loves her school kids, and gives all her love and attention to those kids.

She enjoys kids, and spending time with them. But she doesn't want any of her own. When you really think about it, is that selfish?

Let's say that there's a couple that decides that they shouldn't have kids because they can't even keep their goldfish alive. They've made a decision based on what sort of parents they probably would be, and they think that it's best for their unborn children if they don't have them.

Just a couple different scenarios that can be related to caching and placing caches. I don't see these people as being selfish. People live their lives individually and make choices for reasons we don't know about, because we're not them.

Let's do an analogy. Let's say that caches are children. Some people want to have 8 kids, some want 2.5 kids, and some don't want to have any.

Let's take the hypothetical couple who don't want to have any kids. Let's say that the wife is a 3rd grade teacher. She loves her school kids, and gives all her love and attention to those kids.

She enjoys kids, and spending time with them. But she doesn't want any of her own. When you really think about it, is that selfish?

Let's say that there's a couple that decides that they shouldn't have kids because they can't even keep their goldfish alive. They've made a decision based on what sort of parents they probably would be, and they think that it's best for their unborn children if they don't have them.

Just a couple different scenarios that can be related to caching and placing caches. I don't see these people as being selfish. People live their lives individually and make choices for reasons we don't know about, because we're not them.

I agree. I don't think it's selfish at all. Also there should be room in the game for all types of people with all types of schedules and commitments.

To defend my position, I never advocated a mandatory hide requirement for any cachers. Giving back to the sport occurs in many fashions:

1. Writing nice logs.
  2. Helping travelers reach their goals.
  3. Taking the time to properly replace a cache in it's original hiding spot.
  4. Hiding great caches in great locations.

Rather than requiring all cachers to hide a cache, i'd prefer that cache hiders prove beyond a reasonable doubt that they have read and understand the cache hiding guidelines (Kinda like an IQ test.) :laughing:

Examples of why my idea is useful:

I've seen a cache placed on Courthouse property (sans permission)

I've seen a cache placed inside of a shopping mall, near the bathrooms (sans permission)

Thankfully they both got archived.

Edited by Kit Fox

There are folks who DO hide caches that I sincerely wish DID NOT hide caches. When I first started caching I read these forums like a fanatic while waiting for my unit to arrive. I still read them a lot. I listened to the advice of folks who said to find at least 100 caches before placing one. It was really good advice. I wish gc.com had a policy that enforced that idea. I've seen some really bad caches placed by folks who hadn't found many and had no idea that their cache wasn't the 'great and wonderful' cache they thought it was.

There's nothing wrong with being a finder. If you want to be a hider too that's great - but first find a bunch so you have some clue as to what makes a good hide, a good container, etc.

There are folks who DO hide caches that I sincerely wish DID NOT hide caches. When I first started caching I read these forums like a fanatic while waiting for my unit to arrive. I still read them a lot. I listened to the advice of folks who said to find at least 100 caches before placing one. It was really good advice. I wish gc.com had a policy that enforced that idea. I've seen some really bad caches placed by folks who hadn't found many and had no idea that their cache wasn't the 'great and wonderful' cache they thought it was.
I like that idea too but it gets flamed everytime it's brought up. The other nice thing about that idea is that you wouldn't have some noob hide a bunch of caches and then quit. So finding 100 caches before you hide one shows at least some level of commitment as well as providing some education.

I take my grandchildren caching. It's a great way to spend time with them. I think the eldest may want to make a hide pretty soon. If so, I'll lend a helping/ supportive hand. Until that time, we simply enjoy our time together. For us, that is the reason for caching.

My daughter is in the USAF. She goes caching whenever she is able around her duties, specialized tech schools, etc. I think she hid a few caches. She got orders last month and so will have to deactivate the ones that she has. She'll be gone a minimum of 3 years. And undoubtedly, I will spend more time caching with the grandkids to keep them occupied in a positive direction.

Yeah. I don't have time to make hides, but very, very much appreciate those that do!

You must have some idea of a guideline that may help the aprehensive cacher "hide" some. What do you think would be fair, say, 50 finds to 1 hide, 100-1? I personally have hidden about 1 to 10, but that doesn't make me a Saint. My mother is 75 yrs old and has hidden only 1. I think it is a great accomplishment that she hid the 1. My point is this, some enjoy looking at their hides online and some people don't want to, or can't for variuos reasons. I would much rather look for a hide that was well placed and carfully thought out rather than look for one that someone felt they had to hide just to feel that they "belong"

Edited by Campcreekers