The future of geocaching?

Ive noticed this summer that several cachers have posted rather nasty computer log entries. It seems that there is a trend in my area to get rid of micros by finding them and posting unpleasant log entries that basically attempt to humiliate and intimidate the cache owner into either archiving their cache or to stop placing them altogether. While I understand the desire to improve the quality of caching, is it really necessary to attack the cache owner just because someone doesnt like their caches? The cachers logging these nasty posts are high number long time cachers. (I am deliberately not posting their logs or naming names.) I do not understand why they seek them and then claim a find when its clearly not a cache they enjoyed. When we see a cache in an area that doesnt look like it will be fun, we drive away. Is this happening in other areas or only the Phoenix metro area? (Just for the record, none of the logs Im refering to have been on my caches.)

Edited by Tsegi Mike and Desert Viking

I think it is the right thing to do, logging your opinion about a cache. If you thought it was crap, you write that down. You just write it down without 'crap'. You write: "I really didn't like this cache. I didn't have fun." Or, with a bit more sarcasm to it: "why did the cache owner think it was a good idea to show me this place?" Nothing wrong with that.

TFTC and a simple e-mail to the owner with why they felt this was not a good placement.

Sadly you get these older geocachers (as in doing it longer) who feel the need to perserve the hobby as it was before the age of urban micros. I can agree and disgree on both side of the issue and if they wanna go hike 5 miles into the woods for an ammo can in 110 degree heat, so be it, but I'd rather wait for cooler weather and take care of those pesky park-n-grabs in the summer. This way I get to see the best of both and still can cache.

Edited by geoholic28

I agree with the OP. I think people should avoid being critical of others caches in the logs, it puts folks off placing caches and contributing to the hobby. If you want to try and steer the game do so by posting ideas in the forums and not by nasty cache logs.

There is a place for urban micros (as an example of caches that some find not worth doing) - they provide something for kids, tourists who cannot get out of town, a welcome relief after doing a couple of difficult ones etc.

I, too, can't comment specifically unless I know more.

It is just micros or is it less than satisfying caches?

The reason I ask is there are plenty of times I'll bypass a cache regardless of size because of where it's been placed. For instance, this past week I took a trip and used the route feature of this site. With caches entered into the TomTom I could see caches just off the interstate as I approached. There were some I skipped after getting off the interstate and seeing where the GPS pointed me.

As a side note: some folks will log a DNF if they didn't find the cache after hitting "goto" regardless of the reason. I wonder if I logged "DNF: I skipped this one because I could see the area where the GPS was pointing me didn't appeal to me enough to make me get out of the car" would that have gotten the point across. As it is, I just didn't log anything.

Anyway, there were a few I found that didn't stir me enough to bother logging online. There was one micro I felt wasn't one of them. If more of the micros out there had elements in common with this one then maybe they wouldn't have such a bad reputation.

So, it's kind of hard to comment specifically on the OP without knowing more.

Ive noticed this summer that several cachers have posted rather nasty computer log entries. It seems that there is a trend in my area to get rid of micros by finding them and posting unpleasant log entries that basically attempt to humiliate and intimidate the cache owner into either archiving their cache or to stop placing them altogether. While I understand the desire to improve the quality of caching, is it really necessary to attack the cache owner just because someone doesnt like their caches? The cachers logging these nasty posts are high number long time cachers. (I am deliberately not posting their logs or naming names.) I do not understand why they seek them and then claim a find when its clearly not a cache they enjoyed. When we see a cache in an area that doesnt look like it will be fun, we drive away. Is this happening in other areas or only the Phoenix metro area? (Just for the record, none of the logs Im refering to have been on my caches.)

While I've personally never done such things, I applaud those that do. :P

Hmm... I was just in the Phoenix area in mid-June, where I hunted several caches. I love that area, particularly the desert outside the city! As far as your concern cited above, you have not shown any actual log entries, and thus any response is difficult, because I do not REALLY know what type of log entries it is that you are talking about. If the log entries are for truly lame caches, and if the log entry comments on the cache itself and the quality thereof, such as "This is one of the five worst and most inane caches I have ever hunted in my life; I am sorry that I searched for it after having found it, and I was even tempted to CITO it." then I feel that such a log entry is entirely valid and appropriate. However, if the cache entry continues to move on to making broad personal invectives about the cacher and their mother, such as "You are an evil and bad person and I hope that you rot in h*ll for a million years, and, by the way, your momma is stupider than an herbivorous albino lemming in the Arctic biome." then I would say that the logger has stepped over the line of what is appropriate. On the other hand, if the logger, if after having found seven different extremely lame urban micros (ELUMs) from the same hider, were to add a tag sentence to their find log stating "By the way, this is the seventh such ELUM from this hider which we have found in four months, and I am starting to realize that this person must have been extremely shortchanged at birth in commonsense, intelligence and creativity, and thus I now have deep compassion for him/her." well, that, to me, would be an appropriate and legitimate comment! :P:D:P

As most are saying, more information is needed to comment!! I will say, from what is given, I'd tend to disagree with the practice, even being the obnoxious old-schooler, parking lot ignorer that I am. If there has ever been a more flawless argument in these forums for the many disagreements that arise, it would have to be the "don't like them, don't find them" mantra. :P

There is a place for urban micros (as an example of caches that some find not worth doing) - they provide something for kids, tourists who cannot get out of town, a welcome relief after doing a couple of difficult ones etc.

Egads, Kids?? What kid wants to find a film canister in a parking lot? Mine (and many other geocaching children I know of) love caches full of swag. I suppose I can't speak for every child everywhere though. :D

Expressing your candid thoughts about a cache doesn't have to be "nasty". The mere fact that someone may have said something like "I really tire of this type of hide" - that should not be considered nasty.

Nasty would be saying something like "You must have cow dung for brains as this is the 14th such cache you placed like this and I am tired of doing them."

Without more info it is hard to assess what the OP was seeing.

Shouldnt we just remember that we all have different opinions as to what we find interesting or fun? The cache owner found something appealing in the area they set the cache. Maybe they set it there because they couldnt go someplace "FUN or EXCITING". Maybe thier handicaped. I think it is rude to make a big deal about letting them know your unsatisfaction. Move on if you dont like it. I personally enjoy the thrill of the hunt and if I get a beautiful view or see something unique it is a bonuss not a requirement. And I get to add another FOUND to my total. This has been a great sport fo my family and I we are new to it but have had fun on EVERY hunt because we are together and out and about. This may all sound corny but I have to feel bad for the people who find it necisarry to degrade others, is your life that bad that you cant let people enjoy thiers?

Ill get off my soap box nox!

Just have fun everyone, we dont get paid to do this!

Egads, Kids?? What kid wants to find a film canister in a parking lot? Mine (and many other geocaching children I know of) love caches full of swag. I suppose I can't speak for every child everywhere though. :P

I was going to question that list, as well. :P Kids need urban micros? Are rural regular caches not for kids? :D

I am sometimes frank about how I feel about a cache. And while I might say something less-than-stellar about a parking lot cache (it's not LPCs that bother me, just parking lots), I recognize that I'm taking the smile at the same time.

But there are times I want to really complain, and it's usually not because of the cache being a micro, but something larger that is poorly placed. Here's a log I always wanted to write for a cache that I walked past every day on my way to work. I never logged it because I couldn't be bothered to grab the box out of the ivy:

"I found the cache. I couldn't decide whether I liked the view of the busy intersection, the gas station, or the apartment complex's trash cans the most. You mention this is a good place for CITO. I am wondering, if this is your own apartment window that looks right at the cache, could you please clean up your own yard instead of placing a cache to get others to come over and clean it up for you. If it's not your apartment, I have to wonder why you placed a cache right outside of somebody else's window. I also didn't like sticking my hands blindly into the ivy for this one, since there's a good chance that some of the trash includes spent hypodermic needles from the junkies that hang out a block from here. A micro on the stop-sign would have been a better use of this uninteresting location. I'm surprised someone left a TB here in the first place, so I grabbed it and will put it in a better cache soon. Thanks for hiding it and quitting the game soon afterwards..."

Its good to get that off of my chest.

I agree with not being nasty. Why add more negativity to the world. Critieque or opinion comments are fine.

To me if someone hunts a cache of a style they don't like just to post rude/nasty comments.......perhaps that says more about the hunter than the hider. :P

Jim

Egads, Kids?? What kid wants to find a film canister in a parking lot? Mine (and many other geocaching children I know of) love caches full of swag. I suppose I can't speak for every child everywhere though. :P

I was going to question that list, as well. :P Kids need urban micros? Are rural regular caches not for kids? :D

I've noticed that urban cachers tend to be one on several kind of people. Older folks or folks with disabilities who can't walk as far who prefer caches you can drive close too, busy adults with families who don't have as much free time and would like to look for quick urban hides from time to time, and teenagers who don't have cars and have to get to caches either on bicycles or public transportation. I guess you could call these teens kids.

No surprise here:

If you think something about the cache sucked... why not say so? How does anyone (cache hider/finder) benefit from a bunch of "TFTC" b.s. when the cache _IS_ a bad... container/placement/whatever might be wrong?

Granted, it is just one person's opinion, but... that doesn't mean it's invalid... it's an opinion. Someone might not want to go find a cache in that area/of that sort/yadda yadda yadda.

As much as I don't bother read logs before I go find caches, for the ones I DO bother to read (usually hider dependent)... I want to know if the container I'm going to find is full of water and smells like moldy paper... if there is garbage all over the place... if a previous cacher was accosted by residential vagrants living in close proximity of the cache location.

That said, I don't think ANY of this gives anyone ANY right to make derogatory comments attacking the cache hider themselves. Just because you think their cache sucks doesn't necessarily mean they do too...

michelle

I haven't checked the online log to see if it was similar to what was written on the log itself, but someone didn't like this cache . . .

b8b9df2a-87fe-4160-9a95-0eeaf5574b15.jpg

However, several people who signed this log also signed something like, "What fun! TFTC." with enthusiasm, as if they truly did enjoy it.

I admit that I'm a newbie, but I prefer caches that are atleast large enough to hold items (at least the size of PB jar). That's the part that I like, being able to take a little token in rememberence of the find and exchanging something for it.

I don't hate micros, but the ones I've looked for are much more difficult. I was looking for one the other day where the guy hid a micro in an area with 5000 logs + trees, rocks, and such with no hint. There are atleast 10K places to hide a micro with in that 100 foot area. To make matters worse the area is in a ravine with tons of trees, rock, concrete and rebar so your GPS is all wacked out.

I think micros should be urban only and a decent hint should be given. Beyond that i don't have any issues with them.

Bottom line is I'm not willing to hike deep into the woods to look for a micro, especially one that is near impossible to find.

There is a difference between a negative review and a nasty one. If I read in several logs how trashy or un-clean an area is, or how much everybody hated the spot, i will skip the cache.

I do not want to skip every single parking lot cache, I am still hoping that the next one will be different or interesting. I can not know that ahead of time if everybody who did not like it is supposed to hold his comments and just post a TFTH.

I once left a comment "Took nothing. Left a new, clean, unused McD toy" and the owner deleted as being too negative.

Why not just cut and past the log in question and put it up here so folks can see what you are talking about? Take out the author and another information that might identify it specifically. It would provide a more specific discussion of the topic you are presenting. Honest logging is one thing. Insulting someone is another. We don't know which one you are referring to until you help us.

I would like to see the OP provide links to some of the caches.

While posting a nasty log just because some one does not like micro spew there are time when a nasty log can be a good thing.

I have left nasty logs re cache placements in the past.

One cache I placed a nasty log on was in a homeless camp and there was a nasty barking and growling pit bull guarding the cache. The owner soon archived that one.

Another cache that I left a nasty log for was in some bushes next to a dumpster that were full of used hypodermic needles, condoms and live shotgun shells. I called the police and let them deal with the crap.

Saying that one should never leave a nasty log is just to PC for me. If a hidder does not want to see a nasty log posted on a cache page the hidder should get his/her head our of were the sun does not shine when they place a cache.

While posting a nasty log just because some one does not like micro spew there are time when a nasty log can be a good thing.

One cache I placed a nasty log on was in a homeless camp and there was a nasty barking and growling pit bull guarding the cache. The owner soon archived that one.

Another cache that I left a nasty log for was in some bushes next to a dumpster that were full of used hypodermic needles, condoms and live shotgun shells. I called the police and let them deal with the crap.

Saying that one should never leave a nasty log is just to PC for me. If a hidder does not want to see a nasty log posted on a cache page the hidder should get his/her head our of were the sun does not shine when they place a cache.

There's a difference between a nasty log and honesty. There's never an excuse for nastiness. :P

I have left dissatisfied logs, before and will continue to do so. But I have never been nasty. I reserve that behavior for face to face confrontations. :D

For example, on a cache (not a micro BTW) hidden in the landscaping near the dumpsters, when there was a parking lot full of other landscape hiding opportunities the hint was eeew. My log was, "I thought geocaching was about oooh, not eeew."

I'll also post "thanks for sharing this special spot". But why waste the time or energy to create a post simply to share you displeasure? TFTC or TNLNSL can do the same thing and keep your angst level much lower.

I usually do enjoy these finds. About as much as a snackwell cookie, in comparison to a slice of homemade key lime pie. There's room for both in my sweet tooth diet. :P

Edited by wimseyguy

Why not just cut and past the log in question and put it up here so folks can see what you are talking about? Take out the author and another information that might identify it specifically. It would provide a more specific discussion of the topic you are presenting. Honest logging is one thing. Insulting someone is another. We don't know which one you are referring to until you help us.

Exactly!! Kinda like the long-running "Found it, didn't find it" thread over on "The Hunt-The unusual" forum.

You could change the cache names to stuff like "Spew in alley next to dumpster" or "Guardrail kisser in the parking lot". And change the cacher names to stuff like "Grumpy, intolerant cacher", or "Geo-policeman wanna-be". :P

Ive noticed this summer that several cachers have posted rather nasty computer log entries. Is this happening in other areas or only the Phoenix metro area?

Haven't noticed any nasty logs here in Mississippi, most folks just tend to leave a signature around here, no comments to speak of. We have seen some less than favorable log entries online, but those are usually self-correcting, i.e., the cacher thinks better of it later and revises his online log.

"Nasty" is never appropriate, either written or online.

(As far as defining "nasty", It's a lot like trying to define what is inappropriate viewing material. I may not be able to define it, but I know it when I see it.)

Sorry, I can't think of any time that writing a nasty log can be a "good thing". Not unless you believe that nastiness is good. Constructive criticism? Yeah, that can be good. Not always in a log, though. What's wrong with an email to the owner? Why do you have to show public nastiness?

Yeah, it's way too PC to be discreet. Much too PC to be constructive and kind instead of nasty. Much better to write publicly embarrassing logs and point out your disappointment for all to see.

Sheesh... :P

Here's some constructive criticism for ya...try spell checking next time you post.

I haven't checked the online log to see if it was similar to what was written on the log itself, but someone didn't like this cache . . .

b8b9df2a-87fe-4160-9a95-0eeaf5574b15.jpg

However, several people who signed this log also signed something like, "What fun! TFTC." with enthusiasm, as if they truly did enjoy it.

I haven't seen any "online" logs that are nasty out here. I think the trend out here is to ignore those kinds of caches. What's the point of even logging it, if you think it sucks?

Are they actually nasty or just critical? I know many people who overreact to criticism and read in nastiness where there was none intended.

I do wish more people would be honest in their logs. One of the points of a log is to provide feedback to the owner. If his cache stinks like a dead clam in the August sun, maybe it wouldn't be so bad if the owner actually knew that was the way most people felt about it. Perhaps he'd try to do better next time.

What's the point of even logging it, if you think it sucks?

I guess so future finders know that it sucks too? Or maybe to get the hider to make it better?
Sorry, but I'm not going to find caches I don't enjoy. I would be willing to share my ignore list with those that ask for it. That would be a lot more useful to people with similar cache tastes as me.

far as i'm concerned, if you took a smilie, you don't get to be really nasty or hostile.

dadgum it with faint praise.

mildly snarky is all you get. or unduly short logs.

edit: i didn't say "dadgum". if it was good enough for alexander pope, it's good enough for me.

Edited by flask
far as i'm concerned, if you took a smilie, you don't get to be really nasty or hostile.

dadgum it with faint praise.

mildly snarky is all you get. or unduly short logs.

edit: i didn't say "dadgum". if it was good enough for alexander pope, it's good enough for me.

All I know is if Flask posts "We're all so proud of you" in the cache log, then she did not like your cache! :P:D

if i REALLY don't like your cache, i say

"it may only be eleven-thirty, but the clams have spoken to the choreographer and they're not feeling so well."

I realize that your post was in jest, but if someone posted a nasty log on one of my caches (or an 'in crowd' snarky log), I'd delete it quite possibly without warning.

Polite logs expressing dissatisfaction would never be deleted.

I guess so future finders know that it sucks too? Or maybe to get the hider to make it better?
Sorry, but I'm not going to find caches I don't enjoy. I would be willing to share my ignore list with those that ask for it. That would be a lot more useful to people with similar cache tastes as me.

I thought you were asking why log it AFTER you found it.

That's what I meant.

I thought you were asking why log it AFTER you found it.

That's what I meant.

OIC. I am trying not to find caches like that. What typically happens to me is that I can't remember those caches when I go to log them. So when I log it I have to just make some generic statement. If it's really bad I will remember it and I will say something. But I've never nasty about it. I've only had one log deleted so far and that was for commenting on people logging an event multiple times. :P Edited by TrailGators

Wait...if someone doesnt like micros, then they deliberately go find one, it seems they are doing it JUST to be nasty. I mean, if they are "experienced", they should know what kind of cache it is beforehand, correct?

People apparently just enjoy making noise. Me, personally, if I had a micro, and noticed a cacher that was going around hitting other micros, and posting the same, or similar message, I'd simply delete their logs. There is no point in being mean. You dont like them, dont seek them. Pretty darned simple, if you ask me.

I've posted this cache page link before and people have seemed to appreciate it. We had a new, younger cacher in town who placed a cache behind a fast food restaurant where they dump things, mostly plant debris. It was very popular with homeless people and was strewn with trash, quite a bit of it wet nasty grocery bags.

We wanted to let this new cacher know but not get him upset and make him stop right when he was getting into the sport. We even let him know that an event that we were having would have a time period where we would discuss cache ownership and placement and have time for Q & A. He never came.

Fried

I agree that I'd rather people be honest in their logs. I hate going somewhere and finding out that a cache is really not very nice yet all the cache logs - every single one of them - are politely "nice cache", "thanks for the cache", etc. I'd rather people be honest so that other cachers know what to expect. But people can do it in a nice polite way. Think of the cache owner's feelings. If there's something extra, email them to be informative and helpful.

If the moderators think it is appropriate, I will post examples of the logs.

I applaud honesty in logs about caches. If the cache has problems, politely express it. Ive seen many examples of that. One of the recent log entries I saw was so mean, it caused the cache owner to archive an entire series of his caches. Surprisingly this finder sought the entire series, even tho it was clear from the first cache he didnt care for the series. Why hunt them if you dont like them? Why take that smiley face and bite the hand that places the cache? One can help people to improve the quality of their finds without being mean about it.

I guess this is important to me because when we first started caching, 5 yrs ago, we almost left geocaching when a cacher publically humiliated another caching team over one of their caches. That team ended up leaving the sport for good. Their cache in question wasnt even bad. This kind of log entries can sour not only the hider, but any new cachers.

We have driven away from many a cache without even looking, because it didnt appeal to us. I dont know why others cant do the same thing. There is no need to berate another cacher over their hide.

Edited by Tsegi Mike and Desert Viking

I haven't seen any nastygrams on the caches near here and I hope it doesn't start. There are plenty of ways to honestly criticize a hide without being deliberately unkind. There is never any reason to be rude in a cache log.

I've found a few caches I didn't like. I disliked a couple so much that I didn't log them, although I did write the cache owner to tell them about my concerns. Even though the emails were private, I still aimed for a polite but honest tone. If I just didn't like a type of hide, I wouldn't bother to find it, even if I showed up at the site.

If someone slammed one of my caches soley because they didn't like that kind of cache, I'd be tempted to help them erase all memory of the tragic episode by deleting their find log. I probably wouldn't really delete it, though. It's probably more effective in the long run to leave it there and let everyone know what kind of person they are.

I'm gonna agree with that theory. I've left a couple of negative logs... one was in the center of a very well used highway-side illegal dump. True, it may not have been that way when the cache was hidden, but the night we were there it was surrounded by broken furniture, rotting food and disposable baby diapers.

Second was in a well-used roadside dirt lot where people frequently leave cars while meeting up with friends for wine tasting (yes, we're in Napa, CA). Unfortunately, those who parked cars had been using the vicinity of the hide as an outdoor toilet.

I wasn't trying to bash the hiders, I just thought those who were hunting the caches should know what they're getting into before they show up with their pets/kids in tow.

I would never attack a hider in a cache log, that is completely out of line. And the fact is, I've found a few "not-so-inspiring" caches, but probably wouldn't call the hider to task on that either.

So there ya go, my opinion...

DCC

I've seen a few of the nasty log types. Mostly they show the ignorance of the finder.

They are now going to be a fact of life. The Delete log option will come into play more often as well.

I would totally agree. I have often seen people use "being honest" as an excuse for being mean and not just in geocaching. The usual result is that they just make themselves look bad.

I've been debating about starting a topic just like this one because of a couple of logs I saw recently that really upset me.

(DNF)

Don't bother sending a clue; I rarely seek a teaser cache at all and did this one only because a view seemed enticing. The only regret is that trash caches deter others from posting a credible cache.

This was on a cache that's one of my all time favorites. This person doesn't know anything about the hide because he never found it, yet he feels he can call it a "trash cache".

(DNF)

I concur with the previous poster as I limit my searching to about 30 seconds for a teaser trash cache.

This is another log by the same person. The cache is a micro (the previous poster he's concuring with always complains about micros). It's located along a trail about 1/3 of mile from parking, and is accessable without leaving the trail, something that's important in this area. It's well hidden in a good spot and has a neat theme. I believe this cache may have been hidden by a child with the help of mom & dad or grandma & grampa. How would you feel if you helped a child with a cache and someone posted a log like that?

Fortunately these kinds of logs are not the norm and thanks for starting this topic, it gave me a chance to vent.

Egads, Kids?? What kid wants to find a film canister in a parking lot? Mine (and many other geocaching children I know of) love caches full of swag. I suppose I can't speak for every child everywhere though. :o

I was going to question that list, as well. <_< Kids need urban micros? Are rural regular caches not for kids? :D

I've noticed that urban cachers tend to be one on several kind of people. Older folks or folks with disabilities who can't walk as far who prefer caches you can drive close too, busy adults with families who don't have as much free time and would like to look for quick urban hides from time to time, and teenagers who don't have cars and have to get to caches either on bicycles or public transportation. I guess you could call these teens kids.

Very astute observation by Mr. T as usual (as far as the kids). Say a young teen on a bicycle, who has their own gps, and caches without a motor vehicle. My opinion aside about them being relagated to caching in parking lots. :o Sorry, that was slightly OT. I did surf some listings in the Phoenix area, and found someone with an obvious low-find sock puppet who criticized a series of tic tac containers in parking lots (constructively, I believe). But I'm sure that's not what the OP is talking about.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel