Replacing Caches that you do not own

Is there a protocol for this?

I know we have found some caches that need maintenance. After coming home and seeing the cache page is generally when we find out for how long this has been going on. (a year or more in some cases.) Sometimes the cache owner is just AWOL and has been for a while.

Many of the containers are just not suitable and leak really badly. (Like a plastic deli tub from a deli purchase?) After encouragement here i have started to carry maintenance things like towels and baggies and replacement logbooks.

We also have some containers that are pretty good at keeping out moisture when we tested them. We have picked them up at different thrift stores and they usually are about 50 cents. We painted a bunch of them in camo shades.

I thought of carrying them for when we find a cache that is really in need of help. I definitely don't want to upset anyone but when you open a cache and it is full of water and rusted slimy moldy mildew stuff- it really stinks. (literally.)

Is there a protocol for this? The problem is though- in most cases i dont know the extent of the problem until i get home.

Does anyone have any ideas or thoughts on this? Thanks!

I know we have found some caches that need maintenance. After coming home and seeing the cache page is generally when we find out for how long this has been going on. (a year or more in some cases.) Sometimes the cache owner is just AWOL and has been for a while.

Many of the containers are just not suitable and leak really badly. (Like a plastic deli tub from a deli purchase?) After encouragement here i have started to carry maintenance things like towels and baggies and replacement logbooks.

We also have some containers that are pretty good at keeping out moisture when we tested them. We have picked them up at different thrift stores and they usually are about 50 cents. We painted a bunch of them in camo shades.

I thought of carrying them for when we find a cache that is really in need of help. I definitely don't want to upset anyone but when you open a cache and it is full of water and rusted slimy moldy mildew stuff- it really stinks. (literally.)

Is there a protocol for this? The problem is though- in most cases i dont know the extent of the problem until i get home.

I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine is the protocol we follow out here. :angry:

I'm all for helping out fellow cachers and I have in the past. But when it comes to large (and even some small) fixes i want to hear from the cache owner. I usually offer my service and obtain permission. I not talking about chucking in a pencil or a roll of paper. Anyway, if the owner has been AWOL for a year or more and has not replied to emails should you not consider the cache abandoned and have it archived?

I'm all for helping out fellow cachers and I have in the past. But when it comes to large (and even some small) fixes i want to hear from the cache owner. I usually offer my service and obtain permission. I not talking about chucking in a pencil or a roll of paper. Anyway, if the owner has been AWOL for a year or more and has not replied to emails should you not consider the cache abandoned and have it archived?
You could ask the reviewer to adopt it. I like to see really old caches kept going. There is a lot of history and memories with some of them.
Anyway, if the owner has been AWOL for a year or more and has not replied to emails should you not consider the cache abandoned and have it archived?

I have heard both sides of the story. I originally thought what you said. Then someone pointed out that if it is a nice cache that people can help maintain it so no need to archive it.

You could ask the reviewer to adopt it. I like to see really old caches kept going. There is a lot of history and memories with some of them.

There was a recent thread on adopting caches, archived and abandond ones. I think the answer was to start a new one. If the cache owner is still around, then adoption is easier I would think.

I agree. I am typically pretty darn picky about having permission for caches. I do not want to be responsible or own a cache that i am unsure about permissions. I see things pretty much as black and white and try to stay out of the gray. I know i am a minority.

I will gladly help if i can though.

Sometimes you get those caches that the user is active on the site but doesnt bother to maintain though. Those are not eligible for adoption.

There was a recent thread on adopting caches, archived and abandond ones. I think the answer was to start a new one. If the cache owner is still around, then adoption is easier I would think.

I know that's what they like to do and I agree except for the good originals.

We recently picked up a new old cache. It was reported for maintenance then never repaired. Ironically enough the cache container itself was intact. The interior had something to be desired though. Someone had placed some Off bug repellent packets and apparently broke open and went nuts inside. In addition some water made it in as well. The combination was a funk that'd make James Brown frown. We intended to replace the container with a like size but it ended up being archived. We replaced and resubmitted it for the same location.

There is another local cache about a mile from our home in the same shape. It looks like the placer comes back once a year or so for maintenance. It's still listed as needing maintenance but is active and folks are keeping it up in the original placers stead..

I am helping out on one cache that I do not own. I felt that it was worthy and I enjoyed the adventure so I have no problems. There is another that I keep an eye on since it is in an area that I enjoy A LOT, I bounced an email to the owner a couple of times but never got a reply.

Other than that if the owner is unable to take care of their cache it's time for it to go. I placed my caches, it is my responsibility to take care of them, I don't need anyone going around and cleaning up my mess.

Choose a good location, sound container - this should cut down on problems in the long run.

I am really glad this subject was brought up because I just replaced a cache container last week that was not mine. I Emailed the owner several times and recieved no response. In my case the container was not damaged, but missing. The only thing I found was the lid and the log book in 3 sections. I found one part of the log book under a rock and the other sections were lying on the ground. I waited a week and noticed that other cachers had the same complaint. I took it upon myself to replace the container and put it back in the appropriate area. I did not want the log book to become damaged by the elements. If the owner does not respond, I would like to adopt this cache. Did I do the right thing and how long should I wait to adopt this cache?

I must say that this cache is in a high traffic area due to tourists. Allot of out of towners log this cache and felt like it should be in pristine condition. On top of this peak where the cache is located is a large dinosaur that overlooks the city, it is very cool. You can see in all directions, very awesome at night. :angry:

Minor repair? Yes. Replace a missing container? NO.

It's OK if the owner asks you to do it AND if you verify that it is actually missing. I done it for somebody and had somebody do it for me. I have also found two caches on a few occasions. We had to call the owner to find out which one was the fake so we could remove the impostor.

I'll do whatever spot maintenance I can on a cache, but I won't replace one without a nod from the owner. If I ever happen upon a location that just begs for a cache, and the present one is quietly disintegrating, with an AWOL owner, I might think about SBA'ing it, then hiding my own quality container there. (this hasn't happened yet, so this is just a "maybe") If I find a similar situation with an active owner, I'll volunteer one of my ammo cans to replace their cache. If there is nothing unusual or spectacular about the location, I'll just log its condition, repair what I can and move on.

Maybe i wasnt clear in what i was typing about my thinking. I am not talking about replacing a missing container or missing cache.

Only if the container is compromised in some way.

If I find a cache that could use an upgrade I might do it, it really depends on the cache. I replaced a broken parmesan cheese container with a Lock n Lock and at the same time I also gathered the loose log sheets into a small baggie and then added a new log book. The cache was there and I found it but it was in miserable condition so my upgrades helped preserve the original listing. I would not do this normally but in that case the cache was a historic hide, it was in a truly tremendous location and every part of it was there when I found it, I did not seek the owners permission prior to doing this, as Trail Gators said it was a "I will scratch your back" type of action.

Every cache should have an active owner and active owners should maintain all the caches they hide. I have found out from experience that active owners might not even visit this site, we have one local cacher who reads emails and responds to maintenance problems, just never visits the site and isn't active in any other way, they are not seeking caches or hiding new ones.

I'd make minor repairs like fixing a leak with duct tape and adding a new pencil or logbook.

Major repairs like replacing the container I'd usually only do after consulting with the owner. The one instance where I went against this happened when I opened the container and the lid fell apart in my hands. Had I not replaced the container, the contents would have been ruined, so I replaced it with a Lock n Lock I happened to have in my pack. Then I e-mailed the owner when I got home to offer to send the original container back. Never received a response.

If it is in bad shape AND the cache owner is MIA, then I think major repairs are OK in some instances without the owner's permission. In most cases however I think having the cache archived is the way to go.

If the cache is actually missing, that is up to the owner to fix. If he is unwilling or unable to do it, then it's time for an SBA note.

I'll trade out a log book and offer to send it to the owner. Containers I don't normally stock and so they don't usually get fixed. I've seen zip lock baggies save the log from being wet in a bad container. Sometimes I have one and sometimes I don't.

When replacing a container like for like or an upgrade. Ammo can's being the peak, should not be replaced with tupperward. But gladware can be replaced with about anything.

I've replaced only 3 badly broken containers - twice by placing a sightly smaller container in the remains of the original - Once by replacing the original with an identical that I happened to have with me. I always contacted the owner to tell them what I did.

Repairs are preferrable when possible and then let the owner know what needs to be done.

I know I highly appreciate anybody that takes care of my caches when they need help.

A majority of the time replacing a damaged container is welcomed. However there are some situations where it isn't. I have a cache where the container is of a special shape and size. I've be really upset if someone replaced it with an ammo can. I also have an ammo can painted a specific way. If someone came along and replaced it without painting the new container exactly the same way I'd be upset. I've found caches that where the container itself contained clues, written on or laminated to or an object glued on, that were attached to the container. These clues were not part of the traditional cache they are attached to but part of a nearby mystery or multi-cache. I am sure the owners of those cache would be upset if their container got replaced and the only way that someone replacing the cache would know to be aware of this is if they first searched for one of the mystery or multi-caches. I've never had it happen to one of my caches but I've read a few times in the forums where someone read an odd log entry or series of entries and then when to go see what was up. It would turn out that some well meaning person who couldn't find the original cache assumed that it was missing and placed a new container, log book, and swag in a location they thought the cache should be in. The only thing was the original cache wasn't missing it just couldn't be found by the person who placed the new/additional cache. Then some cachers were finding one container and other cachers were finding the other container. If anyone is thinking about replacing a cache container I suggest that they first make sure they have been caching in their area for a while and have a good working knowledge of the caches and cachers in their area.

It's OK if the owner asks you to do it AND if you verify that it is actually missing. I done it for somebody and had somebody do it for me. I have also found two caches on a few occasions. We had to call the owner to find out which one was the fake so we could remove the impostor.

In that case, you're just acting as a proxy for the owner. Completely different situation. That's not really what this thread is about.

I disagree with replacing cache containers (without permission), repairs are OK if possible. If a cache has degraded to the point of being trash then it should be treated as such. Excepting a tree or boulder landing on a cache, the container will degrade slowly over time. Finding one in such a state of disrepair tells me something about the owner's maintenance habits. It's the owners responsibilityand if it's a good spot let someone else have it who will do the proper work to keep the cache is good shape.

Maybe i wasnt clear in what i was typing about my thinking. I am not talking about replacing a missing container or missing cache.

Only if the container is compromised in some way.

In that case, just put the contents in a zip lock bag. Anything beyond that is the owner's responsibility. After all, are you sure that the cache you'd be replacing is really the cache you were looking for? You could be replacing an abandoned cache that's been archived, and the real cache is 15 feet away. Then their would be two caches, causing confusion for all the subsequent cachers.

And if you think that's unlikely, PM me and I"ll provide the link.

I replaced cracked tupperware once (with a lock-n-lock) owned by someone who hadn't logged into the website in at least a year and a half, at the time. I just looked, and he has logged in in the last month, but hasn't logged a find since 2003. No notes indicating he's ever visited this cache (his only hide) since it was placed in '03. Transfered contents, and the logbook had plenty of room. I don't see a problem with this, and I'm sure he appreciated it. :ph34r:

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

To us, it all depends on the cache location and not the cache itself.

If the area deserves a cache and the one we are looking for is in trouble, we will do what it takes to keep an active cache there.

We will restock if needed and we have replaced those cheap containers with ammo cans where we can.

We have done it before and will in the future.

But if the cache is in a poor location, we have no problem requesting it to be archived.

IF the cache owner has a problem with us upgrading their cheap deli tub - chip tube - Gladware box - baggie under a rock, etc, etc, then THEY need to look at what they are bringing to this game and what THEY want others to think of them. Not my problem.

Logscaler.

Bingo. Just say no to "throw downs."

Thank you. There are some cachers from a neighboring area who are known for throw downs. I personally know of about 5 where there are now 2 containers hidden at the site because of this.

It was not uncommon to be looking for a "regular" cache and find a pill bottle with a familiar name at the top of the log sheet. :P

Edited by Stunod

I replaced cracked tupperware once (with a lock-n-lock) owned by someone who hadn't logged into the website in at least a year and a half, at the time. I just looked, and he has logged in in the last month, but hasn't logged a find since 2003. No notes indicating he's ever visited this cache (his only hide) since it was placed in '03. Transfered contents, and the logbook had plenty of room. I don't see a problem with this, and I'm sure he appreciated it. :P

Sounds like the cache owner is out of the hobby and the cache is abandoned. No maintenace, few log ons, and no notes tells the story. Seems to me you just prolonged the life of something that should be considered trash. If the spot is of high value then let someone else have it.

Bingo. Just say no to "throw downs."

Thank you. There are some cachers from a neighboring area who are known for throw downs. I personally know of about 5 where there are now 2 containers hidden at the site because of this.

It was not uncommon to be looking for a "regular" cache and find a pill bottle with a familiar name at the top of the log sheet. :P

We've had that happen in our area from "big numbers" cachers on several occasions. "Placed a new cache for you since it was missing" - then claim a find. ;)

Back on topic, I'd replaced baggies, log books, pens, etc, but rarely a container. I've replaced a few containers for friends and a couple for Texas' second oldest cache.

You can't adopt an archived cache. If there is a cache that is archived that you'd like to adopt, it needs to be unarchived by the original owner, first.

There are a number of caches here in NH that were archived just before their owner apparently dropped off the face of the earth. I went through all the hoops to adopt two that were in awesome spots, but in the end had to start new listings. (Notice I didn't say place new caches. The original caches were found in place, apparently destined to become geolitter if I hadn't resurrected them. All I did was add new logs & spruce up the contents a bit.) If I had been able to get the owner to unarchive the listings, it'd have been a simple adoption.

I've gotten a lot of positive feedback from local cachers for bringing these caches back, I'd recommend it to anyone!

I'm still fairly new to this, but I carry a few "supplies" with me. I've placed a new log sheet if the one in a cache is full, tidied things up etc., but I've never had occasion to replace a container (although I have some small micro type containers in my bag).

I don't think I'd replace a container without checking first. Once I tried to find one that *must* have been muggled (micro - a few DNF before I tried) so I posted a note on the cache page, and contacted my local reviewer when I noticed the owner hadn't logged in for over 6 months. The reviewer left it disabled for a while, in case the owner resurfaced but then it was archived. I don't think it would have been appropriate to replace that cache.

However if something was badly damaged etc., (ie beyond repair) and I had a suitable temp container with me - I'd probably do that, and contact the owner to return his/her container to him etc.

Any time I've added log sheets or whatnot and noted it as such, cache owners have been very appreciative of that - it saves them a trip (or at least an immediate trip) to the cache, and keeps it active for other players.

JMHO

Jenn

Back on topic, I'd replaced baggies, log books, pens, etc, but rarely a container. I've replaced a few containers for friends and a couple for Texas' second oldest cache.

Yeah, I should clarify my earlier statement. We've replaced containers before, but not missing ones. We've come across plenty of broken containers where our cache maintenance consisted of a new ammo can.

I used to carry an ammo can in my pack because it would keep a lot of stuff dry if I ever fall in a creek. Heck, I've even used it as a stepping stop to make a crossing I couldn't leap and didn't feel like having wet boots for the rest of the day. We had bought a pallet of ammo cans and didn't mind using for the cause.

But to replace a whole cache, especially if we couldn't find the original one? Nope.

As for "throw downs," I guess the practice makes some folks feel better than if they simply logged a find on simply being at ground zero.

A majority of the time replacing a damaged container is welcomed. However there are some situations where it isn't. I have a cache where the container is of a special shape and size. I've be really upset if someone replaced it with an ammo can. I also have an ammo can painted a specific way. If someone came along and replaced it without painting the new container exactly the same way I'd be upset. I've found caches that where the container itself contained clues, written on or laminated to or an object glued on, that were attached to the container. These clues were not part of the traditional cache they are attached to but part of a nearby mystery or multi-cache. I am sure the owners of those cache would be upset if their container got replaced and the only way that someone replacing the cache would know to be aware of this is if they first searched for one of the mystery or multi-caches. I've never had it happen to one of my caches but I've read a few times in the forums where someone read an odd log entry or series of entries and then when to go see what was up. It would turn out that some well meaning person who couldn't find the original cache assumed that it was missing and placed a new container, log book, and swag in a location they thought the cache should be in. The only thing was the original cache wasn't missing it just couldn't be found by the person who placed the new/additional cache. Then some cachers were finding one container and other cachers were finding the other container. If anyone is thinking about replacing a cache container I suggest that they first make sure they have been caching in their area for a while and have a good working knowledge of the caches and cachers in their area.

You brought up a valid point. To *know* the caches in your area before replacing or fixing and to use your common sense. If I see a new cache that is cracked, wet, or missing key items, I just make a note of it in my log that it needs maintenence. However, if for some reason I revisit the cache occasionally, (to drop off T.B's or on my daily walks) I'll re-check it to see if it is has been fixed or if it's getting worse. Only once have I decided to replace the entire container because it has a huge hole in it and it was getting waterlogged. I was going to place another cache at a later time and I happened to have the same type of container in my car. Owner was notified and he was very grateful.

I wouldn't dare presume to replace a "specialty cache" though. (Painted, odd shaped, unique containers, those used in a multi...etc.) or one that is *presumed to be missing. (Do I really KNOW that it's missing?)That's ground I won't tread upon. A note for maintenence or a simple DNF is as far as I'll go.

Here is a "real life" situation, there is a local cache that has been around for well over a year but the container has developed a leak problem and the contents are chronically wet. The owner is able to do occasional maintenance but not quickly. One time I emailed the owner and, with permission, replaced the log and dried out the cache. Several months later it is wet again so it appears that the container is bad. I'm not about to run out (it's close by) and replace the container because of a few reports of "wet" unless I get a request from the owner. Face it caches age and degrade and owners may lose interest or move away. It's all part of the natural process of freeing up the spot for some one else. Caches have a life expectancy.

I'll all for emergency help, like plastic bags, pencils, log books, duct tape but not container replacement. The container IS the interface between the hider and the seeker and is part of the experience, both good and bad. Is it a left over plastic container with the label scribbled out or a camo job that makes your jaw drop when you finally find it? Throw downs are also a problem, even in my short experience I've run across two already. Not cool.

Anyway, if the owner has been AWOL for a year or more and has not replied to emails should you not consider the cache abandoned and have it archived?

I have no problem sticking in a new log, pencil, baggy, any of the small items many of us carry in our bags. As to replacing the container, that may well change the cache. In those instances, I would try to email the owner first, then if no response, decide whether the cache is worth saving. A neat hide that took a little thought, taught a history lesson, or just had some "WOW" when found, ask to adopt. An LPC or dumpster hide, let it die.

It seems as I also need to clarify my statement I guess.

We will not replace a cache we have not found, only those we find that have a problem with the container. Dropping another cache because "yours is missing" is not the right thing to do. As my list of DNF's suggest, you don't find them all.

Everyone needs to be willing to help out other cachers by restocking swag, replacing logbooks and leaving a scribble stick when needed.

Logscaler.

I just mostly do stuff such as freezer bags if I find the cache starting to get damp or replacing the freezer bag if it get alot of holes or chew marks on them. I once emptied the cache of all swag items and replaced them for the owner since he lived about as far away as I did from the cache. Then found out he had some health issues and on his good days he just wanted to find caches and not really maintain them if could. He was very greatful that I did that for him. I would have replaced the log book but I didn't have any on hand and the one in the cache was not bad.

I just feel that if one of my (2 for the time being) caches need something done I would be greatful to whoever would help me out with mine. So I should do my part to help another cache owner if theirs needs something done to it. Out of everyone I have ever talked to I feel that about 90-95% of all the cachers are very nice and helpful, so kinda like good friends that you have not met, and I would always help a friend in need any way I can.

I actually had an issue come up this week. I found a cache a few weeks ago that was so wet I didn't even pull the logbook out; it was disgusting. I e-mailed the owner (who hasn't been here in the last 6 months or so), telling him that if he wasn't able to get out there to fix it up, I'd be happy to take a minute to do it, since it's pretty close to work. No response (SURPRISE!).

So, I went out this week to take a second to fix it up - no container. All that I could find was the damp log book, and a couple sig cards. I policed the area up, poked around for the container nearby (not many choices), then logged an archive note.

I have a 3 step process for dropping new caches: 1) I need to have found it before. 2) The cache owner needs to be MIA. 3) If the spot was somewhere "worthwhile" to me, I'd have placed a new cache, and worked on adopting the cache. The location in this case seemed to be just a random drop: middle of a suburban area, no "wow!" factor, etc.

Since this cache only met the first 2 criteria, but not the third, I didn't place the new cache. If I had, I would have worked on adopting the cache, not leave it up to blind luck. Someone has to take care of it.

Note that this was the closest I've ever come to dropping a new cache.

What if the cache is in fine shape, but it's lame, like a micro in the woods?

"Took film can. Left tupperware."

or

"Took pill bottle. Left ammo can."

I've done this a couple of times. Once I was thanked profusely. The other time I was cussed out ;)

I'm not ready to do that yet. Maybe the cache owner wants the specific container. Let's face it, as PITA as they are, a film can in the woods is a tough one to find, and just as tough for the muggles to get.

I'm not talking about the challenging ones to find. Both the ones I swapped out were under a piece of bark at the base of a tree. Basically I could tell where they were the moment I walked up. Neither were in areas they would get muggled.

But yeah, after getting cussed out about the one, I probably won't do it again. Or at least not admit it ;)