Current FTF record

Haffy

I know of at least one person who claims to have 500+ FTFs. Of course, there's no way to track this, so you have to take their word for it. To make things more difficult, it's not always clear who the FTF should go to- what if the cache is found by a group, or what about pre-publication finds?

I think I have three or four FTFs. Therefore, I'll accept the title of FTF leader.

Thank you all. I could never have done it without your laziness.

I have two, I think. Watch out, the race is on! Oh yes, the title will be mine. :D

I've got two and there's a new cache setting on the far egde of town with a clean log just waiting. Looks like the race just got a little tighter. :D:laughing:

That is if it's still hasn't been found when I go to town tomorrow. :laughing:

One (no longer active) geocacher in my area has well over a thousand finds and I'm willing to bet that the at least 80 percent of them were FTFs.

The problem with a "record" like this one is that some people don't care about FTFs and don't count them, so the real "record holder" may not even that he know he is.

Also you have to take people's word because there is no official count. You would hope that everyone's word is good, but seeing all the geocachers who log phony finds, assuming integrity is asking a lot.

From the FTF list I keep;

222. Sculpture in the Woods 4/20/07

As I like the number 222, perhaps I'll just stop now. Not caching, or even being FTF, just stop keeping the list. It's not terribly accurate in any case. I'm not that good a bookkeeper. I'm sure there's someone with 500 or more.

There was a guy in my area that went from novice to around 1300 finds in very short order. You'd see his FTF logs on stuff, and he'd walk right by other caches to get to that unfound. A thousand + FTF for him wouldn't surprise me. One day he just stopped.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

I have 122 FTFs :D I wasted a ton of gas, lost many hours of sleep, got two un-activated travel bugs, and a couple of FTF dollars. I also bagged quite a few Jeep TBs and Geocoins :D

I no longer drive 20 miles one way to be FTF on a log only micro. There are enough new cachers in my area who fixate on FTF, so I let them have all the fun. I personally enjoy enjoying whipping all the other local cachers when a new puzzle cache is placed. First to Solve is entertaining to me now.

11 so far out of 157 finds. I have most of the caches in my area done, so when a FTF comes up, I get to cache near home again. I do leave them for others, but if they don't find them within a week, I'll be going after them.

3 of my FTF's, I'm still the only one who has found them. There is one more on my list to find that's about 100km quad ride away. Was gonna go for it tomorrow, but now it looks like rain.

I'm nowhere near to the local FTF record holder. I currently have 114 FTF out of 885 finds for approximately a 12.9% FTF rate. It doesn't mean anything except that I'm willing to go caching at 10:30 PM when I have to get up for work at 6:00 AM. It also means that I'll cache along the river on a moonless night and break out in poison oak on both arms and my face as a result. You also don't necessarily have to live close to the hide in order to be FTF. I live in California and my first FTF was in Montana!

It doesn't take a rocket scientist or some super cacher to be FTF. All it takes is being addicted to the minor rush of finding that virgin log sheet. A FTF count is like any other geocaching number. It doesn't mean squat to anybody but yourself and even then you shouldn't take it seriously. I track my FTF on a bookmark list so I know how many I have but I don't make the list public because nobody else would care anyway.

gobbler has quite a few! he has ftf on several of ours.

Nothing against ftf but we try to go for quality not quantity. We are certainly up late and frequently see new caches published (oh the benefits of one of us being a night person and the other working 2nd/3rd shift) but we don't run out to get them. In part because we would not want to load the kiddos up but where is the enjoyment in a ftf at 2 a.m.? I am in it for the walk/hike/adventure, nice car ride, time with family. I know this is not the same for everyone but for me, personally, I would not want a ftf if it came at the price of sacrificing an enjoyable family time.

IMO, the only FTFs that are worth anything are those where the cache has gone for at least a week without being found, either because it is so difficult or the terrain is so high.

Being FTF on 1/1 lamp-post hides is not exactly something to brag about. In my opinion, of course.

Not too long ago I was out of state in Oregon to see a Shakespeare play and a Checkov play with my wife for Valentine's day. While were were there a new cache came up back home. Obviously I didn't go looking for it but I put a watch on it to see who was the FTF. Several days later when I was home it still hadn't been logged so, like the dork FTF lover I am, I went looking for it. I went up the hill about 25 miles or so and ended up at a locked gate at a dirt road. Hmmmmm....... almost 2 miles in as the crow flies. Cool. It's a beautiful day and a walk in the forrest is always nice. I hiked in and looked, and looked, and looked....... Finally I hiked out without finding the cache. The next day it was logged as a FTF by someone who had figured out from the cache page that the coordinates were obviously wrong. It was about 10 miles away from where I was looking - ACROSS the freaking mountain ridge. By road it was many, many miles away from where I was looking. D'Oh! Sometimes trying for a FTF is not very productive. It was a great walk though.

I actually have found a few with pretty bad coordinates though. One listing put me 110 feet down a pretty steep hillside at the base of a tree with poison oak all around it. The hint led me to believe the cache was under some bark and there were a lot of old trees that had gone down years before within 20 - 40 feet of where the coordinates put me. I looked for over an hour before I gave up and climbed back up to the trail. I was bummed because the cache was part of a series and, without finding that one, I couldn't get the information needed to find the final cache. I decided that maybe the coordinates were WAY off and I would look along the trail on the way back to my truck. I found the cache along the trail about 15 yards from where I had gone down the hill. Again, trying for the FTF can be very frustrating. If you aren't willing to suffer for someone else's bad coordinates you shouldn't be out trying for that elusive FTF.

Edited by Thrak

I know of at least one person who claims to have 500+ FTFs. Of course, there's no way to track this, so you have to take their word for it. To make things more difficult, it's not always clear who the FTF should go to- what if the cache is found by a group, or what about pre-publication finds?

There is a guy in my area (sort of) that has over 500 FTF's. And he actually tracks them with a FTF travel Bug. He also has over 5,000 finds.

We cant get a FTF in our area because he's already been there, day or night.

Edited by HardKnox

I've got 114 FTF's. No where near a record. And I was too was one of those who'd take off in the middle of the night or get up before most duck hunters, to fetch a FTF. I've slowed down in the last year. I've had some FTF's within a mile of home and not go get it. But I got another FTF this week.

As far as proving it? Read the finds and scroll back ... if you have a day to waste doing so (918 finds) but I'd stake my creditability to those numbers.

There is a guy in my area (sort of) that has over 500 FTF's. And he actually tracks them with a FTF travel Bug. He also has close to 5,000 finds.

We cant get a FTF in our area because he's already been there, day or night.

I can bet that we're both talking about the same person :) . When I lived in Maryville, I had to get up early to beat him to an FTF in my town, and he lived almost 100 miles away!

IMO, the only FTFs that are worth anything are those where the cache has gone for at least a week without being found, either because it is so difficult or the terrain is so high.

Being FTF on 1/1 lamp-post hides is not exactly something to brag about. In my opinion, of course.

I am most proud of my FTFs on caches that were either tough terrain that no one went to find (or where people gave up because they couldn't reach the cache) or tough puzzles that no one else had solved. Of course I still count the 1/1 lamp-post hide that I just happened to get to first :(

I am most proud of my FTFs on caches that were either tough terrain that no one went to find (or where people gave up because they couldn't reach the cache) or tough puzzles that no one else had solved. Of course I still count the 1/1 lamp-post hide that I just happened to get to first :anicute:

Same here. :( My very first FTF was a challenging -- for me, at the time -- hike to the top of a local peak. icon_smile_tongue.gif. I have listed a few of my FTFs in my Profile, but haven't kept track of other, less-memorable, FTFs.

According to my records I am tied for last place. I've only been geocaching about a month and I have zero FTF.

I don't know how to figure the ratio on that so I'll need some help to figure it out.

Edited by lacomo

According to the stats on my profile page, I have 188 unique finds 8 of which were FTF which is 4.25%.

I'll only go after them if it's the right time and they're close enough for a reasonable shot. Otherwise I like to plan out my caching outings a bit more.

I recently got two FTF's that I was completely shocked were still unfound when I got there. But after signing the log I got to meet three other cachers (and 2 dogs)!

Sometimes it's just fun to make a find which isn't already indicated by an obvious geotrail. :(

DCC

I think Chuy! has the most in SD. I have no idea how many I have. I've stumbled across several while just out caching.

My ratio is 8.23 490/4325, but who's counting? ;)

I'm sure there are many ahead of me, but I have 'em documented ;) . My list includes co-FTFs.

Edited by Chuy!

I've got about 160 or so, but recently life and other stuff has gotten in the way, so I don't go much anymore.

Thank God...[;)]

Between you, Wheelygood and Peppermill-6 pack....Sheesh!

Of course, now TazD, Szuchie, Nature Noggins, and a couple others have taken over...LOL

I think my logs are tending to earn me a record number of 2ndTF's, cause I keep blowing it on the First attempts...LOL

Edited by Cracker.

How do you delete these posts when an time-out error causes them to post twice?

You can't . . . I've learned the board just hiccups once in a while. I have found that whenever I receive the timeout error, my post actually made it through, so I refresh the page to make sure before being tempted to resubmit.