R.O.C post Caches.

J33P KN

Some of you may have heard of the Royal Observers Corp posts which are doted around the country. See Link.

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/roc/index2.shtml

I'm making a bookmark list of caches that are close or @ these interesting structures. If you know of any drop me a link please. Below is the link to my bookmark.

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.a...ad-113d23f4990b

Aye,

Ken. J33P KN

GCMV66 - Carry On Camping - 2005 is an archived event cache, but the coords are for a campsite with a ROC bunker in the next field. When we were there it was unlocked and explorable, complete with various bits of memorabilia (newspapers, ration tins, nuclear detonation checklists etc!). Nearest active cache is 0.3 miles away GCMEMT Tewet Tarn Edited by lordelph

I have been planning on using ROC posts for a multi for months now.

If you use Google Earth, enable the Google Earth Community overlay, it has the entire Subbrit database marked.

Do remember that even though the posts are abandoned, the majority are on private property, and entering an unlocked one can be very hazardous.

If you do "Up and Down Again (Hants)" (GC730F) and then walk north east to the top of the hill, about half a mile, you'll find a trig-point TP7062 Woolbury Ring inside the wire fenced enclosure that surrounds an R.O.C. bunker.

Edit... I should add that GC730F is a multi-cache. The 1/2 a mile is from the parking co-ordinates. The cache is a lot closer.

Edited by Pharisee

Wow - I've just found there is one just down the road from home. I have to go out in a minute anyway so might pop by and check it out.

Update: Just back from having a look. As I arrived I bumped into the landowner who kindly fetched the keys to the bunker and let me go up to it and have a good look round inside - totally fascinating. She said we're ok to come back anytime we want for another look :unsure:

Edited by The Bolas Heathens

Wow - I've just found there is one just down the road from home. I have to go out in a minute anyway so might pop by and check it out.

Update: Just back from having a look. As I arrived I bumped into the landowner who kindly fetched the keys to the bunker and let me go up to it and have a good look round inside - totally fascinating. She said we're ok to come back anytime we want for another look :D

Nice one... that was good of the landowner, and luck to get a chance to see inside a privately owned one.

Any pictures...???

Yep - managed to get quite a few - I've just uploaded the best ones to http://web.mac.com/therookery/iWeb/The%20B...ns/Library.html

The bunker is Great Bolas, Shropshire. It's a real shame it's on private land (it's actually in someone's back garden) as it would make a great location for a cache in an area where there are not many caches at the moment :D

I asked if suubbrit wanted the photos and they did so hopefully they will update the page for this bunker soon B)

Nice one... that was good of the landowner, and luck to get a chance to see inside a privately owned one.

Any pictures...???

Edited by The Bolas Heathens

The thought had ocurred to me. The site is actually on top of a small hill behind their house and is in a paddock area just to the rear of their main back garden. You can be seen from the house at the site but only just and the route up to the site well away form the house and is not that visible from the house so if there was a cache there it would not cause unnecessary disturbance to them.

If it was in a farmer's field I'd be more inclined to ask for permission as it would be less intrusive for them. The landowner did say they had had quite a few people come to look at the bunker and seemed genuinely proud of owning it and more than happy to let people look round.

Hmmm - I can see me talking myself into asking her about placing a cache there as there's a good place for a regular just by the entrance to the bunker - even better, if they would let us put a cache down the bunker :mad:

Some good pictures there, can't you sweet talk the owner into letting you place a cache by it?

The thought had ocurred to me. The site is actually on top of a small hill behind their house and is in a paddock area just to the rear of their main back garden. You can be seen from the house at the site but only just and the route up to the site well away form the house and is not that visible from the house so if there was a cache there it would not cause unnecessary disturbance to them.

If it was in a farmer's field I'd be more inclined to ask for permission as it would be less intrusive for them. The landowner did say they had had quite a few people come to look at the bunker and seemed genuinely proud of owning it and more than happy to let people look round.

Hmmm - I can see me talking myself into asking her about placing a cache there as there's a good place for a regular just by the entrance to the bunker - even better, if they would let us put a cache down the bunker :(

If you don't ask then you will never know. If they are proud of owning it, and approach visitors and offer to show them inside, I think they would be happy for it to be there? GO FOR IT!! :mad:

Yep, the ROC article inspired me. I went an placed this cache Llysfaen Cache. I've been thinking about placing one here for ages because of the old telegraph station that passed information on from Holyhead onto Liverpool docks. Finding out there was an old nuclear bunker there, well I just had to go go go!!

Just waiting for my first cacher! PhilPamRob doesn't come this far down the coast, though Decaengi probably has his eye on it!! :surprise:

Yep, the ROC article inspired me. I went an placed this cache Llysfaen Cache. I've been thinking about placing one here for ages because of the old telegraph station that passed information on from Holyhead onto Liverpool docks. Finding out there was an old nuclear bunker there, well I just had to go go go!!

Just waiting for my first cacher! PhilPamRob doesn't come this far down the coast, though Decaengi probably has his eye on it!! :surprise:

Cheers, Scott. Tis added, shame the ROC is gone, but its got a trigpoint. Something else to log.

Just waiting for my first cacher! PhilPamRob doesn't come this far down the coast, though Decaengi probably has his eye on it!! ;)

I wish :( Reviewers code of conduct insists that a Reviewer may not go after a Multi/Puzzle cache that they have published for 2/3 weeks. Now Traditional caches are fair game :surprise: Which means it'll be the New Year before I'll even look at it :huh:

I wish :( Reviewers code of conduct insists that a Reviewer may not go after a Multi/Puzzle cache that they have published for 2/3 weeks. Now Traditional caches are fair game :surprise: Which means it'll be the New Year before I'll even look at it :huh:

Wowzers! I knew you guys were dedicated but having to restrict the number of caches you can do as well... ;) I don't know where you find the will power! :)

I take it all back - well done and thanks J33P KN :(

Edit: Bonus photo of me down one the other week:

ce0e7ebe-55b8-42c7-8201-48d161f52df1.jpg

Looks like a very tidy post Simply Paul! Which one was it?

For R.O.C post fans, it appears that the one you are in has the internal layout built the opposite way round!

This is quite a rarity, as out of (I think 1563 posts built) only a handful have the desk, indicator equipment and toilet cupboard on the right of you, as you stand in the shaft, looking into the room!

I've been in quite a few, but never had the pleasure of going down a wrong un!

I'll get me anorak now. :(