Have You Ever Found A Keeper (unactivated)

UOTrackers

Just curious who has actually found keeper coins. Do you remember which cache or who left it? Did you keep it or put it back out?

I haven't found any myself yet but we left 3 in St. Louis area last month. It was really great to hear fromt he finders and how happy they were to find them! We did however find a Military coin and my husband got another military one as FTF gift. They are with the GeoCoins in our daughters binder.

I seed caches in my area with some of my spares for FTF prizes, and since the Texas coins came put I've placed a few of in caches. So... if you live in Collin County, Texas you have a decent chance at finding an unactivated coin. :D

I myself have never found an unactivated coin in a cache, but I have given out and/or left 52 Civil War Geocoins in caches in the last 3 weeks.

So if you live in Mississippi, you have a very good chance, plus, I handed out three more this morning doing The Deep Dam Cache in TN and left one/on the cache itself.

I've found about 10 keepers and left countless in return.

Good weekend for coins around here. I dropped off two to start thier travels (not keepers, I know), found a personal from a local, and found my first Bad Andy coin (traveler).

Also might have dropped a personal one somewhere...

My first was an Oregon Geocoin way back when dropped by NurseDave. It's still special for that reason.

I have placed about 10 GeoQuest coins in Knox Co., Sevier Co. & Cocke Co. TN with no responses from finders. Because of that I am now activating them for people to adopt. I don't know if that will change things or not. I will be putting out several on my way to GeoWoodstock.

Of the coins we left behind one of them made no mention so we asked them, they were thrilled to have received and I think even see their first geocoin. The second one dropped was probably noticed here since we mentioned it and was picked up and used in the SLAGA picnic on April 29th. It was the day we left otherwise we would have gone to it. The third was picked up and they wrote to us saying we forgot to log them, I think they were pleasantly surprised when we told them we hadn't forgotten but it was now theirs to do with as they pleased. I really enjoyed leaving the coins behind and plan to leave more in the future. we even sent one to Parents of Sam along with the GBOT's HURRAH contest coin, just as a little surprise because I know she has little girls and kids like surprises! Unfortunately we don't get out of the CSRA (Georgia South Carolina) region often so most coin drops from us will be local for awhile.

I haven't found a trackable coin yet but on Easter I found A "King Mojo" tiki coin! I didn't know how special it was at the time. I didn't have anything for trade but selfishly took it anyways. I left a un-activated Canada coin in the cache later and plan on leaving more unactivated coins in that cache to clear up my bad Karma for the mistake. The funny part of it is that someone came by the cache and thought it, the Canada coin, was a TB and when they got home they realized it was SWAG. Then they had to go back to the cache to finish the trade. Nobody wants that bad Karma! :)

We've never found an unactivated yet, but we always check :) We've released 5 activated and 1 unactivated so far this year. The unactivated was a FTF picked up by a cacher who'll brave any element to be FTF on one of our caches and he really deserved it on this latest one. He put in the hours and refused to give up so now he has an activated coin that he takes caching with him in case he runs into cachers on the trail. He let's each new cacher log their "find" and can keep track of everyone he's met from now on! It's a good idea and we might do something similar now.

We've never found an unactivated yet, but we always check :) We've released 5 activated and 1 unactivated so far this year. The unactivated was a FTF picked up by a cacher who'll brave any element to be FTF on one of our caches and he really deserved it on this latest one. He put in the hours and refused to give up so now he has an activated coin that he takes caching with him in case he runs into cachers on the trail. He let's each new cacher log their "find" and can keep track of everyone he's met from now on! It's a good idea and we might do something similar now.

That is a neat idea...hmmmm

The very 1st geocoin that I had ever encountered was found in my 100th cache find...it was an "un-numbered" (only 200 made) Oregon 2003 "Birthplace of GeoCaching" Coin. Of course, I've kept it, and the rest is history...I am am an official geocoin "Icon Whore"....in fact my close friend: "Jayel57" calls me the "Madame of GeoCoins"

The very 1st geocoin that I had ever encountered was found in my 100th cache find...it was an "un-numbered" (only 200 made) Oregon 2003 "Birthplace of GeoCaching" Coin. Of course, I've kept it, and the rest is history...I am am an official geocoin "Icon Whore"....in fact my close friend: "Jayel57" calls me the "Madame of GeoCoins"

I found my 1st "keeper" (I'm assuming) coin this weekend. It's also an Oregon "Birthplace of Geocaching" coin. I was searching through the forums to find out why I couldn't use the tracking number to log it, then found these forum posts. Now I know I can keep it! :blink:

...so now he has an activated coin that he takes caching with him in case he runs into cachers on the trail. He let's each new cacher log their "find" and can keep track of everyone he's met from now on! It's a good idea and we might do something similar now.

This sounds like a great idea! How does it work? Can you please explain it to a newbie from the beginning:

1. Buy a trackable coin

2. Then what?

3. How do they log it if it's not in a cache? And he keeps it right?

I just started geocaching a little over a week ago, so I haven't found any trackable coins yet. I did find one non-trackable coin called "Jackie & Bob's GeoToken" which I plan to keep.

I found a USA Coin with no activation codes attached and unactivated once. I found a couple of others that were unactivated in their original sleeves with the codes on them. I have placed many of them in caches with the codes as a FTF or in an eceptionally tough cache to get to. I have not found any unactivated personal coins yet. I did find one of AJAYHAWKFANS's excellent coins in a cache. That was the highlight of my coin finds for several years. He activates all of his, does not sell any, and places them as he goes caching. They are definitely high on the cool factor. When my benchmark coins get here, there will be 100 antique silver just for caches and trades. Glen

I have -- I found a little California Micro coin in one of my own caches, then my daughter activated and released it!

As for leaving coins! Yes...many. I think well over a dozen unactivated trackables, and at least as many (if not more) non-trackable "gift" coins (Geobones, CAC LFD Tokens, etc)

I used to leave unactivated TB Tags as FTF prizes, but more often than not now leave coins.

Edited by Lemon Fresh Dog

I have found and kept one personal geocoin that was meant to be kept. I have found a few traveling geocoins and moved them to other caches.

I bought and placed 9 various geocoins, to be kept by the finders. They were placed mostly in my own caches. I have had one coin remain in one of my caches for several months now, and it has not been taken by several finders. I have a note attached to the coins that finders are expected to leave a trade item worth $5 to $6. They do, mostly leaving cash.

I found a USA coin quite some months ago; can't recall the cache name. We called the coin "Serendipity", for obvious reasons <_< Before that, our main involvement in geocoins was with the Canadian ones that are trackable on their website, not on GC.com, as well as a local (Conejo Cachers) geocoin that is trackable in the same way as the Canadian ones. To my recollection, we had never seen a USA geocoin before then, although we'd seen the icon a few times on the site. We were unaware of the growing interest in trackable geocoins at that point, which is probably just as well; we've spent too much money on them over the past few months :rolleyes:

We've never put out unactivated coins, but we hope to start doing that with a couple of the newer coins, which we've bought extra of. Might try to buy a couple extra of future coins for the same purpose, as well as to donate at picnics and CITO events as raffle prizes.

BTW: we were given an unactivated geocoin as a "milestone marker" by a good friend: Webfoot. :huh:

I have a newbie question...

Why would someone put out an unactivated coin? Is it just as a bonus for the finder, so that they can activate and log it?

I am going out Friday night if anyone wants to run over and put one in a cache I am heading for! :rolleyes:

I got lucky in the "frolic in fairport, again" cache. I was STF, but FTF already had one, so i got one of the coveted chilehead personal geocoins. (at least coveted in the rochester area). Its non trackable, but still a really cool thing to find in a cache, and almost more special than any old trackable coin.

...so now he has an activated coin that he takes caching with him in case he runs into cachers on the trail. He let's each new cacher log their "find" and can keep track of everyone he's met from now on! It's a good idea and we might do something similar now.

This sounds like a great idea! How does it work? Can you please explain it to a newbie from the beginning:

1. Buy a trackable coin

2. Then what?

I just started geocaching a little over a week ago, so I haven't found any trackable coins yet. I did find one non-trackable coin called "Jackie & Bob's GeoToken" which I plan to keep.

I still don't understand how to carry an activated coin for fellow cachers to log. How would they go about logging it when they get back? They didn't take it from a cache. Is there an option for one that they have just seen?

1. Buy a trackable coin

2. Then what?

I still don't understand how to carry an activated coin for fellow cachers to log. How would they go about logging it when they get back? They didn't take it from a cache. Is there an option for one that they have just seen?

If you meet a cacher who wants to share their coin with you grab the nearest piece of paper and write down the code, when you get home and are logging the cache go to the trackables area, log in the code then select "Discovered" from the log types, write whatever note you like and it's done. The cacher now has a nice little log from their visit with you and you now have a new cute little icon on your list of trackables!

1. Buy a trackable coin

2. Then what?

If you meet a cacher who wants to share their coin with you grab the nearest piece of paper and write down the code, when you get home and are logging the cache go to the trackables area, log in the code then select "Discovered" from the log types, write whatever note you like and it's done. The cacher now has a nice little log from their visit with you and you now have a new cute little icon on your list of trackables!

Ah, "discovered" is what I was looking for! Great idea! Now to find me a coin!

We found a Tiki coin. :( We also once found an Oregon coin, at the time we didn't know it was trackable, after we figured out where to log it, we sent it on its way.

Lately we've been leaving unactivated coins as FTF prizes. For a cache that required a hike we left an AT coin. For 867-5309 we left a "Phone a Friend" coin and for my piggy bank we left a May GCC "proof" coin.

Hey this is all good news! Wealso left 2 new coins out recently, one because we finally hit our 1st mielstone of 100 caches found and another as a FTF prize for my newest cache! The FTF prize was claimed and let us know, but the other one was picked up without any notes or even a log to the cache. Oh well it was a gift after all. Secret Santa Cache I guess!