Reviewers

Both reviewers do an excellent job, most threads are left to run their course without interference, even the obvious trolls are allowed their say. Keep it up you two, it's a definite well done from me.

By the way, it must be time for a wage review, how about we double your pay?

I will stick my nose where it truly does not belong, as I have had no part in the earlier topic or this one.

My personal view of the mods is the same of most of you out there, they do a wonderful job and are an extremely valuable assett to the UK caching community.

The ONLY criticism (or is it awe?) is that they let a certain few on here attack, make snide remarks and always seem to be at the source of the vast majority of 'heated discussions' a.k.a. needless arguments on ths forum, without ever getting heated themselves. Some people seem to thrive on winding others up, and seeing how far they can push people for their own enjoyment. The fact they manage and tolerate this behavior means they deserve a medal in my eyes.

This is not an attack at anybody, or any people, this is just an observation I have made in the few months I have been on this forum.

/rant

I have no idea what the problems are but can I add our thanks to you for doing such a fantastic job. ;)

When we were setting our first cache last year you were helpful and very prompt in repyling to my emails.

Thank you and keep up the good work and take a pay rise - as much as you like :DB)B)

I must admit to initial surprise at Ecky's early entry into the original thread but now that I understand more of the background I don't see that he had any other choice. The original post was a carefully crafted call to arms which appeared on the surface to be the opening round in a general discussion about placing caches in sensitive areas, but was in fact an attempt to garner support for an already heated argument about one particular cache.

Ecky did no more that alert forum members to that situation. Our reviewers already give enough without having to put up with that kind of c**p from forum members.

LactoEckythump have my complete support.

I have frequent and extensive communications with both of them, both as a cache placer and to consult them whilst developing landowner agreements in my role on the GAGB committte, and I have always found them both to be completely fair.

I note that in my early post on this thread I forgot to say thank you to the Approvers Reviewers for the hard, mostly-thankless, unpaid work they do to ensure caching in the UK continues to reflect the very best things about the game. I have a view on the earlier thread, but it's nothing helpful to add here, so I wont. I'll just say cheers to a pair of old war horses and say I hope they stick in the 'job'. The thought of dealing with American Reviewers, with the cultural gap that implies, fills me with dread!

We would just like to say a big 'Thankyou' to both reviewers as they have always been of great help when submitting caches for approval. They even go beyond their job description of just approving caches, but offer helpful advice and assistance when submitting new caches.

As for the forums, I have always found them impartial when cachers are in dispute with each other, and make calming and sensible comments on other hot topics. The task they have is a thankless one, where they can be 'piggy in the middle', getting heated exchanges from both sides. I think people should put themselves in the moderators shoes before leveling any critisism at them as where would we be without them?

I think it's time for those who wish to sling mud, or hold grudges, to do so in private.

The rest of us are finding it so tiresome to read.

Lactowotsit and Eckythump have more than enough work to keep them busy, without all the recent ungrateful comments they have received.

Keep up the good work both of you! ;):D

At the time of myself accusing Ecky of double standards, I thought I was justified on the information which I was presented.

Moote has expertly managed to dupe myself and others into an argument that shouldn't have been brought to these forums. I would like to say that I am now ashamed of the comments that I made.

If I could turn back time and erase what I said I would, but I can't!

So that only leaves one other thing to say to Ecky -

:DB)SORRY B);)

What can I say.

Well done on the appology

What better way to post my 500th post than have a good rant. B)

Oops wrong thread :D

I have had no problem with either of the approvers and am amazed at the speed they approve my caches along with their advice. ;)

As for moderating the forums all I can say is they have a lot more patience and tact than I would have in their position for some of the threads. B)

I consider the UK geocaching community lucky to have them, keep up the good work.

It has been brought to my attention that our wonderful UK Admin are in need of support (well they don’t actually as seen by the preceding posts ;) ).

They both do a brilliant job and have my full support. B)Keep up the good work :D .

Andy.

I made my point of view clear in another thread and thought it was totally uncalled for but HEY! we know they do a good job.

As per norm, it's the minority that rock the boat and sometimes it is purely vindictive, prompting heated arguments.

Good on you both.

Oss!

PS I have been trying to post this response since 7pm!

As I am the only person to my knowledge to have mentioned double standards, on one post and one post alone. I can only presume that at least one person believes that I am a mudslinger.

If the reference to mudslinging was read as referring to HH, I was quilty of wooly thinking and so it is my turn to say SORRY! ;)

As to the way this topic has developed I can only express delight at the support given to Dave and Peter. I suspect they expected some criticism but that is only faint against the majority support.

I believe personal attacks are only welcome in this thread if they are directed at the reviewers (like any of us would).

It seems some people are taking the chance to stick the knife in where it is not needed, therefore the thread should be closed.

I believe personal attacks are only welcome in this thread if they are directed at the reviewers (like any of us would).

It seems some people are taking the chance to stick the knife in where it is not needed, therefore the thread should be closed.

Agreed the thread needs to be closed, just like other threads are as soon as personal attacks start.

Edited by stora

Very good point. As I said the only personal attacks allowed here are on us reviewers. Otherwise normal forum etiquette should be followed. This was not meant to be a general "blood letting".

I agree that it is time the topic was closed - but before it is, in fairness to Moote we should remember that he has done a lot to help some of us with very useful scripts for paperless caching and for that I am grateful.

On the other hand he makes no bones about sometimes being deliberately contentious - when I challenged it about it once, he replied that he wants to make people think. Fair enough, but there are better ways of going about it without antagonizing people.

Ok

On the subject of Moote.

The invitation on this thread was to make criticism of the reviewers. I would say the reponse to the reviewers has been overall positive.

The invitation was not to make personal attacks on Moote. Milton has good points to make and as many who have met him will tell you in person he is a decent bloke.

It is my opinion that he had some good points to make, however these may not have been presented well and got peoples (mine included) up.

If Milton (Moote) wishes to make himself open to personal attacks that is up to him. Just as the reviewers have given people the opportunity to make personal attacks on them.

Cheers

Tony

I agree that it is time the topic was closed - but before it is, in fairness to Moote we should remember that he has done a lot to help some of us with very useful scripts for paperless caching and for that I am grateful.

On the other hand he makes no bones about sometimes being deliberately contentious - when I challenged it about it once, he replied that he wants to make people think. Fair enough, but there are better ways of going about it without antagonizing people.

I've spent the weekend with Moote (Milton). He was good company and fun to be with although he did admit to enjoying stirring up a fuss! :D Maybe we shouldn't all take everything everyone says on here at face value... ;)

How did this thread come to be ?

If our reviewers need a vote of confidence (!) how else to give it ?

I'm sad to see how such a simple hobby/activity/recreation can, so frequently, turn into a slanging match.

I don't do it - you don't do it - so how does it come about ?

civilised

In the few dealings I've had with our reviewers, I have to say they have been completely fair and offered sound advice.

Keep up the good work and, as said by other before, would you want their job ?

I know I wouldn't, but I'm grateful for their work and steady and positive guidance.

100/100

Personally I have not problem with the way the UK reviewing is handled and am suppressed when someone says otherwise. There will always be issues and disagreements but I feel most of these relate to the guidelines not allowing something rather than the interpretation of them.

The only thing that I would prefer done differently is you to be slightly more forgiving in the forums. When a topic is going astray then I would prefer it pushed it back rather than close it down, and some threads that are closed are not directly about caching but are still about our caching community.

So another “Keep up the good work” form me...

cheers to lacto and ecki from me - good to have such quality blokes helping us all play the game.

i do aggree with moote though, that SSSI's should be carefully considered with regards to caches.

also, that some caves have sensitive or dangerous areas that would make them unsuitable for caches.

cave caches are cool though i reckon!

thats all!

Edited by doctor scotland

Lacto and Eckie do a fantastic job, at no time should attacks on thier decissions be allowed! OK! so we all make mistakes some time, but when constant checking of the topics and threads is required, plus approving new caches and with NO PAY! then NO personal attacks to them is warranted! Sorry! I certainly wouldn't want the job, not with some of the less diplomatic cachers in our lifes.

I know what is being said about voting etc, but isn't it strange that thoses with the biggest gripes and mouths NEVER show up when there is a vote, nor do they ever really say anything positive about the way caching in the UK is being conducted? They should re-think their actions before critising other volentary workers! Better still, let those who really enjoy caching get on with it.

I expect the slinging will be aimed at me again somewhen, but really, all mouth and trousers means that the likes of Ecky and Lacto have a hard job to do.

Edited by Roving Rangies

I would just like to make public the views which I have expressed several times in the past in private emails to our reviewers which is that they do an excellent job and display an amazing amount of tact, diplomacy and intelligence to what they do. We would all be very much the losers without them. I cannot imagine that anything would be gained if either or both of them were lost or replaced. I am sure they make mistakes, as we all do, but one or two errors of judgement over the years that may of occured cannot reduce such an illustrious record and they continue to have my every confidence.

It has been suggested that this thread should be closed. As I am about to pack up for the night I would agree so that's all folks.

I am genuinely surprised by the comments made, they were not what I was expecting. I would like to thank EVERYONE who has responded.

Goodnight