Ellis Island Geocoins

Several cachers have suggested an expansion of the National Park Series to include some National Monuments. Specifically Ellis Island has been suggested.

There will be just 600 of these coins minted.

You can find all of the details HERE.

There is a typo on the coins that is being fixed. The first person to e-mail me with what that typo is gets a free coin.

image036.jpg

image038.jpg

Edited by Rothstafari

Im not trying to br cynical but are we never going to see the end of these series - we get national parks, great cities and now monuments, why not concentrate on getting a series finished? I for one am getting fed up of seeing series started and then stalling

I can understand the cities being difficult as you seem not able to consult with cachers in the individual places (well in the case of San Francisco and London this is evidenced in the forums) but at least finish the parks

Bob

Im not trying to br cynical but are we never going to see the end of these series - we get national parks, great cities and now monuments, why not concentrate on getting a series finished? I for one am getting fed up of seeing series started and then stalling

I can understand the cities being difficult as you seem not able to consult with cachers in the individual places (well in the case of San Francisco and London this is evidenced in the forums) but at least finish the parks

Bob

Ouch! B)

Beyond the grammar, my greatgrandfather was one of the doctors stationed at Ellis island for several years. Somewhere I have a set of images showing him inspecting patients as they entered and in the hospital beds. I have never been there yet. It was not opened for many years and just a few years after it opened I moved over seas.

Oooh...I want it I want it! I have been to Manhattan several times in the last few years, and on just about every trip we have made an excursion to Ellis Island or Liberty Island, or both! My sister-in-law and I have spent the better part of the day searching the walls outside for our families' names!

My favorite Ellis Island trivia is the fact that it has, like, tripled or quadrupled in size since the museums' creation, due to LANDFILL! The historical landmark that keeps on growing!

(My other favorite NYC trivia info is that the Statue of Liberty is now an inch taller than when created, because workmen setting her up the first time missed a hole!)

I love NY!

wall.gif

Oh yes! There are soooo many wonderful caches within our National Parks system. These coins just make me want to go out and find them all. Perhaps I will place a few while I am at it, leaving these coins as FTF prizes. I LOVE this coin that is oh, so relivent to geocaching. I will take 10! :(

wall.gif

Oh yes! There are soooo many wonderful caches within our National Parks system. These coins just make me want to go out and find them all. Perhaps I will place a few while I am at it, leaving these coins as FTF prizes. I LOVE this coin that is oh, so relivent to geocaching. I will take 10! :(

You guys only beat your head by choice, ignore it and move on!!

Bob

Hmm . . . fair question / complaint . . . . . . I guess.

I am really struggling with the great cities thing. Every time I do one I get hammered by a fair number of people even though with both London and Prague I have worked closely with local cachers on the design of the coin. But at least I am getting used to the heat. Mark Twain, when threatened by tarring and feathering and ridden out of town on a rail, noted that "if it weren't for the honor and glory of the thing, I'd just as soon walk." I sometimes feel the same. :mad:;)

I am not sure I would even be ready to call the great cities a series, it is just sort of an occasional thing with the right design idea comes along.

I am shooting to do about one National Park Coin a month. There are 59 parks BTW. I am not sure if all merit a coin. (I know some people think none do.) It seems that more than that is too much. National Monuments have been suggested by several cachers and it seemed a natural extension. I would guess the National Monuments will be at about the same frequency.

But fundamentally I would think you should be happy with the coins:

More coins = more coins in caches. They are priced fairly. No one is ever forced to buy one.

Please Please Please if you don't like them don't buy them.

I guess I just don't quite understand where the beef is :blink:

That would be Wendy's....

No seriously, I don't understand why people complain about various coins being made rather than just clicking on by....

;)

:mad:

I'll say that I am generally happy to click by on most of them without comment. Though I do sometimes complain on non-personal coins being sold by apparently new cachers, or when there have been several different pre-sold by the same person before any have been shipped. (I forsee more wyoming/signal fiascos)

My only comment (so far?) to this thread is that I generally have less to complain about from those producers/designers that have established a good track record of quality design, production, and feedback.

I certainly have no issues with southbayday/hogwild stuff in any of those regards. Those coins have so far been all well designed, good production quality, decent pricing, and excellent feedback through the entire process. I've always had my e-mails promptly responded to as well.

That would be Wendy's....

No seriously, I don't understand why people complain about various coins being made rather than just clicking on by....

;)

:mad:

Why is it so wrong for people to voice their opinions? It seems to be perfectly fine if you have something positive to say and want to gush about how great it is.

It's nice to see that you're not alone in your thoughts, be them good or bad. And it's much harder to stand up and step out for the warm and fuzzy crowd.

As for the comments about just skipping over threads and ignoring stuff you don't like... Well, that's getting harder and harder to do being that so many "pointless" coins are coming out now.

Everyone should be able to say how they feel, that's the beauty of living in countries that allow us to do so.

Why is it so wrong for people to voice their opinions? It seems to be perfectly fine if you have something positive to say and want to gush about how great it is.

From the Geocaching Listing Requirements:

"Geocaching is supposed to be a light, fun activity"

;)

Ahh, yes, "geocaching" is, but does it mention geocoins? :-)

Isn't it one and the same though? Essentially? Ever been in the main forums where people continually whine about "lame micros"? It's about like that. ;)

Sure. I spend a lot of time over there, too.

The difference is that the "lame micros" debate is over the type of caches in general.

The complaint with the coins are about specific coins and thier relevance to caching most of the time.

(i.e. I've seen the moon a few times while doing night caches, but I haven't made a coin for it - but someone will...)

I spend a lot of time on these boards (all parts of the forums) and offer a lot of help direction to people. I've seen the good and bad coins come and go along with both good and bad people (lump me where you like :blink: ). I get contacted a fair amount offline and am happy to help.

Now, this doesn't make me an expert nor does it mean my opinion counts for more than anybody's elses.

BUT, good or bad, I'm going to say my peace.

Every time I do one I get hammered by a fair number of people even though with both London and Prague I have worked closely with local cachers on the design of the coin.

To be fair, that wasn't the case with San Francisco (omitted from the post) and that's why you got hammered by the locals. That's old news and I'm not trying to stir the pot, but at least put all the info out there.

So yes, I'm here to "nice design, can't wait to get one" for the coins I like - and question/criticize the ones I don't. It's a community and I (like others) don't mind having a heated debate now and then. Most of the time it's civilized...but not unlike any other inter-personal relationship things get heated up sometimes.

It happens.

Ahh, yes, "geocaching" is, but does it mention geocoins? :-)

Isn't it one and the same though? Essentially? Ever been in the main forums where people continually whine about "lame micros"? It's about like that. :blink:

Sure. I spend a lot of time over there, too.

The difference is that the "lame micros" debate is over the type of caches in general.

The complaint with the coins are about specific coins and thier relevance to caching most of the time.

(i.e. I've seen the moon a few times while doing night caches, but I haven't made a coin for it - but someone will...)

I spend a lot of time on these boards (all parts of the forums) and offer a lot of help direction to people. I've seen the good and bad coins come and go along with both good and bad people (lump me where you like ;) ). I get contacted a fair amount offline and am happy to help.

Now, this doesn't make me an expert nor does it mean my opinion counts for more than anybody's elses.

BUT, good or bad, I'm going to say my peace.

Every time I do one I get hammered by a fair number of people even though with both London and Prague I have worked closely with local cachers on the design of the coin.

To be fair, that wasn't the case with San Francisco (omitted from the post) and that's why you got hammered by the locals. That's old news and I'm not trying to stir the pot, but at least put all the info out there.

So yes, I'm here to "nice design, can't wait to get one" for the coins I like - and question/criticize the ones I don't. It's a community and I (like others) don't mind having a heated debate now and then. Most of the time it's civilized...but not unlike any other inter-personal relationship things get heated up sometimes.

It happens.

You have put me in a difficult position. You don't in fact welcome open heated discussion. I hate to air this here, but you leave me no choice. We had a debate in which you told me to never e-mail you again, yet you take me on in the forums.

You bring up San Francisco, yet what you don't say is that when I offered the club the design the offer was never accepted.

The thing I agree with is that this is an open forum, but it means I get to respond as well. Believe it or not, I actually appreciate much of what you have to offer on the board and see you as a valuable contributor.

I do welcome debates (heated or otherwise) but I don't appreciate getting emails into my personal account of the nature I received a while ago.

The local caching organization was never offered "the design". We were offered the chance to buy the coin (afterwards) - big difference. A coin was made without consulting the locals at the time. It seems that has changed with the new coins. Again, I'm not trying to dig up the past; just trying to make sure there is no "revisionist History" being presented. It's over and done.

You absolutely get to respond - it's an open forum. I've never considered myself to be "taking you on" or acted IMO like I was above reproach or commetns back. I'm not here looking for fights (hard to believe I'm sure). I'm just voicing my opinion in the community.

I don't doubt that I'm in the minority in a lot of cases. But I'm secure enough to speak up anyway and take the flak for it.

So, back on topic. The Ellis Island coin is for sale.

I'll pass; I'm sure others won't.

Whilst I started this discussion I would like to set one thing straight

The London coin was not designed in conjunction with a local cacher!

Lynn is

i) A Canadian

ii) lives half way across the country from London

iii) Asked to be identified as part of her caching team and not as part of the UK Geocoin Club

All of which seems to be not mentioned.

So no wonder the London cachers complained at what they saw to be tourist "Tat" which they wanted not to put their name on!

It would be like me doing a Washington DC coin after speaking to a mexican in chicago!!! Do you think that would be acceptable and welcomed by all

We know these coins are made for profit, that they are nice enough coins. I just cannot see why we cannot seem to get series finished (7 Summits is another that has gone quiet!)

Bob

eduted as the computer kept putting a cynical smile in a) :ph34r: c)

Edited by Jan and the Percey Boys

I would like to state that the market for the various coins is driven by the collectors who for one reason or another want every coin, or every coin with an icon.

The moment that the buying stops, you will see the coin sales disappear. It is already starting to happen with personal coin sales.

Maybe once the market is sucked dry of cash then geocoins can go back to being primarily signature items that are found in caches, or traded by the cacher. With afew TB alternative travelling coins going around yet. maybe even some of these coins will make it around.

We have already seen the e-bay market plummet for most geocoin resales. Hopefully that will help keep so many from being stolen.

I would love to see an Alcatraz coin.

SCFIREBronze300.jpg

Not really a series, but here is a geocoin with Alcatraz :D.

Where was this coin sold?

On a side note, isn't it amazing that some people will intentionally post to flame a war.

This coin wasnt sold. Its one of those that people 'earn'.