Congratulation Threads

Moote

I understand that there was a vote and accept that it was in favour, originally I was also but now we see 10's of these threads a week.

With the sport growing it is becoming harder to see the threads that have some more meaningful information. We vote for our Government on a regular basis (because we are democratic and change our opinions) so why can't we now have a vote again to see if this kind of thread should only be pinned.

With the list which Teasel published of well over 100 new cachers even with a 25% fall out rate and most cachers taking 3 to 6 months to reach 100 the forum will just become an unmanageable place and people might move elsewhere.

I would say it is time to re-evaluate this and I do feel strongly that all should have their say.

Milton (aka Moote)

Now I guess that I will get slaughtered for this :lol:

Edited by Moote

I totally agree. While I feel that the Congratulations messages are important, it does become difficult sometimes to filter through to the more interesting threads.

There is a pinned thread at the top of the screen for this kind of message which I think is best used by following SlytherinAlex's post therein:

" Surely the way to run this pinned thread is for one person to post that a particular cacher has passed a particular milestone and anyone who wishes to congratulate that person can send them an email. This way each milestone takes up one post, keeps the thread uncluttered and it makes it easier for Deego to keep his Hall of Fame up to date."

I hold a diametrically opposite opinion to those already expressed. The pinned thread never took off because it's a very impersonal place to post congratulations. Acknowledging others triumphs is exactly the sort of thing the forums should be used for and I'd be disappointed to see a move to 'outlaw' these rare positive, geocaching-related threads. By all means, don't add to them if you don't like them. As the winter nights draw in I suspect the numbers will fall anyway... Perhaps the time has come to have another vote, as the original was at least a year ago.

SP

Of the 45 threads on the first page, 4 are congratulations threads. I don't call that unmanageable.

Frequent re-discussion (?) of the same topics is more of a problem :lol:

Statistically at this point in time you might be correct, but still there is an increase of these, I'm not against this kind of post at all it just requires it's own area.

To some extent I agree with the Frequent re-discussion remark, but you need to be aware that lots of people are new to Forums and don't fully know how to search etc. I can live with that - after all I spend 100% of my working life helping others use their PC's

Milton (aka Moote)

I hold a diametrically opposite opinion to those already expressed. The pinned thread never took off because it's a very impersonal place to post congratulations.

As impersonal as posting "cut and pasted" congratulation messages to people who you have never met and in many cases have never even heard of before, just because they managed to find a few bits of tupperware? :lol:

-

I don't mind the dedicated threads (I certainly never read the pinned one) but I generally only post in ones where I've met the cacher concerned.

What might be nice is if the forum had an "ignore thread" feature which you could click once and never see the thread again!

Might be a nice little GreaseMonkey project actually..... :lol:

Since starting this tread I have had one abusive and treatening email to my Hotmail account (which is publically visable on my Profile page), now I can live with that, that is no problem to me but it really has shown me that some people have no better things to do in their lives.

Milton (aka Moote)

P.S. Also a message for that person I do not think my Head will fit up my donkey1.jpg

Edited by Moote

Darn 15 posts before it went down hill i had a bet on 18.

Whoever emailed moote shame on you a pity you do not possess the mental capacity to hold a reasoned discussion on your point of view within this forum.

If anyone emails me at home please remember my 11 year old daughter is probably reading them.

Back on topic it probably proves that the subject matter is to emotional for some people to ever agree on the definitive solution if one exists....

Since starting this tread I have had one abusive and treatening email to my Hotmail account

Really :lol:;)

What a hot subject.

I am on the fence and can see both sides. I post in the pinned topic (81 posts 18%) But will also add my congrats to open threads, some times to people I dont know, but cant see the harm in it.

If I dont like the topic I skim over it. Doubt this will ever get sorted :):)

Darn 15 posts before it went down hill i had a bet on 18.

You should have learnt by now that I can degrade a thread very quickly

Whoever emailed moote shame on you a pity you do not possess the mental capacity to hold a reasoned discussion on your point of view within this forum.

Thanks, that little bit of the post leaves me knowing that not all is bad here :lol:

Back on topic it probably proves that the subject matter is to emotional for some people to ever agree on the definitive solution if one exists....

Yes I feel it is time to get back on subject;

SlytherinAlex remark is so true of most of the posts

As impersonal as posting "cut and pasted" congratulation messages to people who you have never met and in many cases have never even heard of before, just because they managed to find a few bits of tupperware? rolleyes.gif

SP placed a very good argument for the Pro Congratulation post and did not once slip into a slanging match

I hold a diametrically opposite opinion to those already expressed. The pinned thread never took off because it's a very impersonal place to post congratulations. Acknowledging others triumphs is exactly the sort of thing the forums should be used for and I'd be disappointed to see a move to 'outlaw' these rare positive, geocaching-related threads. By all means, don't add to them if you don't like them. As the winter nights draw in I suspect the numbers will fall anyway... Perhaps the time has come to have another vote, as the original was at least a year ago.

SP

Lets hope that is does become hot here but not vicious

Milton (aka Moote)

Edited by Moote

I think last time, we mooted (sorry) cutting the number of congrats threads by limiting the occasions to 100 caches, 500 and 1000 (or various alternatives). I still think that 100 and 1000 would do the trick as they are a bit more significant* than (for example) 300, and would naturally limit the number of threads being started.

HH

* I mean that 100 = "serious" geocacher and 1000 = "expert" :lol:

Congratulations would be in order on these occasions even if you don't know the cacher involved.

My 2p's worth. I'm pretty much on the fence, but finding myself slipping to one side.

I never read the pinned thread... so banishing this sort of activity to that place would be effectively banning it completely as far as I'm concerned.

I don't often open the congrats threads. Then again there are quite a few threads I don't open. So I seem to be able to manage my reading time myself.

I quite like seeing the thread starters so I see who has hit a milestone, but don't generally feel moved to add to the congrats or to read who has.

I don't see how you could enforce a ban anyway... the mods would be very busy. I'm sure we would prefer them to concentrate on approving or whatever the correct term is.

It would be a shame to get someone banned for saying well done.

Perhaps the culture needs to change? A notification that a mile stone has been passed. But then the thread is locked so no-one adds to it. That way everyone will see the message once but it will quickly drift down the board. Anybody motived to congratulate the person can do so by PM or e-mail.

I think last time, we mooted (sorry) cutting the number of congrats threads by limiting the occasions to 100 caches, 500 and 1000 (or various alternatives). I still think that 100 and 1000 would do the trick as they are a bit more significant* than (for example) 300, and would naturally limit the number of threads being started.

HH

* I mean that 100 = "serious" geocacher and 1000 = "expert" :lol:

Congratulations would be in order on these occasions even if you don't know the cacher involved.

HH

Looks like an option which might reduce this kind of post but what can stop this sort of thing cacher reaches his / her 146 find!!!!!!!!!

Milton (aka Moote)

I have to say that I agree with HH on this eminently sensible suggestion, but would add that entry into the Hall of Fame could deserve a mention as well! Other than that, 100, 500 and 1000 would seem to be significant milestones deserving a mention.

I also think kbootb's suggestion could be tried. Posting the notice and then locking would work. There is acknowledgement of a milestone reached, without lots of congrats to keep it near the top of the threads.

Perhaps the two could be combined, leaving an open thread for the 100, 500 and 1000 milestones to post congrats, and locked threads for any of the inbetween ones?

Just a thought!

Dave

PS - I have to agree I'm shocked at the treatment of Milton. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and, to quote from someone who's name I can't remember, "We may not agree with what he says, but we should defend to the hilt his right to say it."

Edited by purple_pineapple

As I write this there are 45 threads on the front page of the forum, out of those 3 are congratulations threads ( if i counted right :lol: ) thats not OTT in my humble opinion.

I like to see the congrats threads on the forum pages.. in the pinned topic you cant see the woods for the trees, they aren't there very long and soon drop to the second page, I usually congratulate the people I know or who i chat to regularly.

Just my opinion..... even it is not to your liking.....but i still wont tell ya to stick your head up a donkeys bum (or words to that effect lol ;) )

M

Looks like an option which might reduce this kind of post but what can stop this sort of thing cacher reaches his / her 146 find!!!!!!!!!

Milton (aka Moote)

That was a posting I made, the cacher involved in the congrats had written on a very similar thread to this one that he/she had not received any recognition of 100 finds. It was intended to be humorous and was taken as such. It seems several people writing lately need a sense of humour transplant.

Milton (aka Moote)

That was a posting I made, the cacher involved in the congrats had written on a very similar thread to this one that he/she had not received any recognition of 100 finds. It was intended to be humorous and was taken as such. It seems several people writing lately need a sense of humour transplant.

It was also 18 months ago!! so hardly happens every week

It was funny at the time :lol:

It would be a shame to get someone banned for saying well done.

I have never once suggested the use of banning people, in fact I would not agree with that kind of action for a none offensive thread. What I am saying is that at times the Forum gets cluttered with thread after thread of sycophantic back patting.

As others have pointed out; it might be true that there are only a hand full of these on the front page, but when they are there they are continually pushed to the top with people posting Cut and Paste unoriginal congratulations. If people could be more original with there posts then maybe I would read them, but the are always something like

:)  :D  :lol: Well done, congratulations  ;)  :)  :)

Is that original? Not really, I will maintain my stance on this and that is there is a place provided by Lactodorum and that is where (if you do desire) you should post.

Milton (aka Moote)

Edited by Moote
:lol:  ;)  :) Well done, congratulations  :)  :)  :D

Is that original? Not really, I will maintain my stance on this and that is there is a place provided by Lactodorum and that is where (if you do desire) you should post.

I agree. While the comment is probably appreciated by the recipient the vast majority of these posts are fairly bland forms of congratulations. There is no personal sentiment and I feel the message would be better served in the form of a private email.

Its the forum equivalent of giving a four year old a "happy face" :D sticker!

This is my opinion, no hate mail please.... :D

One persons "sycophantic back patting" is anothers "community spirit" :lol:

(EDIT: my 5 yr old daughter gives me happy face stickers and they make me happy!!)

I rather like the community angle (isn't that why we post here and arrange events?) but FWIW I'll try and implement my technological solution just for fun (browser extension for ignoring threads)

Edited by lordelph

My suggestion last time this was raised:

Why can't we have a whole congrats forum topic, not just a pinned thread? That way, there will be no confusion over who is congratulating who, you can have as many congrats threads as you like and any off-topic congrats opened in here can be promptly moved!

Still think it's a good idea myself but that's just my opinion! :lol:

Why can't we have a whole congrats forum topic, not just a pinned thread? That way, there will be no confusion over who is congratulating who, you can have as many congrats threads as you like and any off-topic congrats opened in here can be promptly moved!

We have one at GUK.

I prefer to only congat cachers that i feel i know either personally or through this forum

( i feel i know you all so well now) :)

The congrats threads that i got when i passed 200 gave me a really nice warm feeling ;) and added to the achievment with the knowledge that someone else had noticed that I had achieved a milestone.

If it had been up in the pinned congrats i would have missed all the nice words of you guys. :lol::)

Keep on posting your congrats threads.

I think LordElph has summed it up well. I see it as a community thing rather than anything sycophantic. I tend only to congratulate people I personally know or feel I know through their caches or posts here. I imagine most people do the same thing? I usually only start threads for people who've found a milestone on one of my caches AND I know read the forums. As for the originality of the messages, a congrats is a congrats, whether it's a word, a picture or half a page of simpering praise. Locking a thread at once makes it an announcement rather than a place for public back patting (sycophantic or otherwise) and for me, that's not really in the spirit of the thing. On reflection, given the topic's not been put to the vote for a long time and there are many more forum users now than there was then plus it's a recurring subject that people clearly feel passionate about, I vote for a vote! Just no sock puppets please :lol:

SP

P.S. Moote, name and shame! Name and shame!! (or was it done anonymously?)

On reflection, given the topic's not been put to the vote for a long time and there are many more forum users now than there was then plus it's a recurring subject that people clearly feel passionate about, I vote for a vote! Just no sock puppets please :lol:

SP

SP

Yes I think pushing for a vote is a good idea, and who ever wins well we should try and all abide by the result for at least a year, I know that there is no way of stopping this thread or congratulation threads from happening (who ever wins the vote) But at least we will have a more up to date consensus on the situation.

P.S. Moote, name and shame! Name and shame!! (or was it done anonymously?)

It was not anonymous and I do feel I know who the culprit is but I do not want to drop to their level by bring on a public hanging. My post has shown them I can laugh off threats and If they actually knew me they would know that I am the kind of person who would help anyone out if they required. I know that at times I have made some badly phrased remarks in the past in here (SP I think that you have had one or 2 placed in your direction when it came to the premium menbership issue) Saying that though, if I ever bump into you I would get you a pint as I never mean to offend.

But the email a got from that cacher was very threatening and the bit I made comment about was about the mildest part.

Edited by Moote

I asked for this last time the subject was aired but unfortunately it wasn't acted upon.

Not being a great lover of "censorship" ;) I will continue to allow (and ignore) individual congrats threads for those who want them.

I asked for this last time the subject was aired but unfortunately it wasn't acted upon.

Not being a great lover of "censorship" ;) I will continue to allow (and ignore) individual congrats threads for those who want them.

Dear Lactodorum

Simply Paul and me are on complete opposite sides of the fence on this but we agree on one thing. and that is A Vote Would it not be a good idea to see how people really feel. We could put several options in the ballot and make an informal agreement to abide by it.

Milton (aka Moote)

Edited by Moote
Dear Lactodorum

Simply Paul and me are on complete opposite sides of the fence on this but we agree on one thing. and that is A Vote  Would it not be a good idea to see how people really feel.  We could put several options  in the ballot and make an informal agreement to abide by it.

Milton (aka Moote)

Regardless of how the vote turns out, if someone wants to post a congrats thread then they will. Unless you want there to be censorship, which is a bad move, then a vote will never work.

I personaly don't see a problem with them, I generally skip past them unless it is someone who I have actually met.

But in this instance I will forego that criteria and wish Moote a belated congratulations on getting his 100th cache on the 8th October with the armchair cache Oben :lol:;)

When I have had my pat on the back for my landmarks, it has left me with a warm fuzzy feeling inside, knowing that I had achieved something, albeit something that is not that important in life in general, but it was still nice to be recognised.

Wow! What a lot of strong feelings here! Congrats threads are a bit of a 'marmite' subject (you either love them or hate them!) :lol:

Being a newbie, I'm on the fence. Most of the threads concern people I've never met, reaching milestones I can only dream of, so I never read them. I have the most powerful form of censorship available - the ability to pass over them and concentrate on topics that hold my interest.

Likewise I have no interest in talk about PDA's, so pass over those threads too. ;)

Having said that, when (if) I ever reach such dizzying heights as 100, 500 or 1000 posts, I'm sure I'd be darned chuffed to log on and see someone had taken the time to congratulate me! Like a smile, they cost nothing but can spread a little happiness. Even if that is only to one person, that's got to be a good thing, right?

However, I leave to the more experienced to make the final decision and will go with the flow.

Just thought I add my comments, don't berate me for that!! :)

Surely the seperate thread, like differing countries/areas would be an ideal solution. Unfortunately, those that enjoy the practise prefer not to do it in a corner of their own (in the pinned thread).

Perhaps a possible solution could be to use filters as on the newsgroups, you can use filters to sideline postings that do not interest you - for example, the German posters add [Deu] to the start of their subject line and this enables others to filter them out.

I personally dislike the congrats threads in the active forums, particularly when the supporters' group piles in one after another en bloc, ingnomiously pushing the offerings of other posters off the page.

I'll comment no further, my "ears" are still ringing from the flak I got last time I dared to venture dissent on this subject.

I seriously doubt there will be a final decision - we had a vote - the vote was in favour of the status quo - then every month or so someone says "how about another vote?"

Eventually there will be a vote to stop congrats threads - but people will still post them - and the antis will have to decide how they want to handle that. I just can't see censorship of something so innocuous being something worth troubling ourselves with.

Oh stoppppppp.... please......

Live with the different threads and learn how to scan read the forum topics. It's easy. The congrats threads are very obvious and easy to ignore.

You will never please all of the people, so just learn to evolve with the forums. I expect these forums will fill with all sorts of cr@ppy topics (still GC related) as more and more people get involved in the hobby and find these forums.

Since starting this tread I have had one abusive and treatening email to my Hotmail account (which is publically visable on my Profile page), now I can live with that, that is no problem to me but it really has shown me that some people have no better things to do in their lives.

Were they brave enough to say who they were, or did they hide behind another email Address?

I agree with the congrats thread moving onto somewhere else, the last time I started one it was placed in the pinned topics, although not a lot of people see them.

Nige

I seriously doubt there will be a final decision - we had a vote - the vote was in favour of the status quo - then every month or so someone says "how about another vote?"

What is the problem with gaining a consensus by a vote? We vote for other things on a regular basis, so why not here?

Eventually there will be a vote to stop congrats threads - but people will still post them - and the antis will have to decide how they want to handle that.

I am trying to bounce around ideas for doing this; so that the main Forum can function without Clutter

I just can't see censorship of something so innocuous being something worth troubling ourselves with.

Not once have I mentioned the word censorship, I strongly believe in freedom.

I bet you get Spam email do you just say good on the Spammers? No you delete or sort your mail so that you do not read it. In my email accounts I have a Spam / Quarantine box I can deal with that, but ion these forums as yet there is no option to Filter out the Congratulation posts.

I am a solutions person not a problem provider, what I'm looking for is an amicable solution to a problem that bugs many of us

We should be openly encouraging the way that we want to read and not inflict junk on others. I will congratulate others but from now on and until a better solution is provided it will be in the Pinned area.

Milton (aka Moote)

Edited by Moote

All I will say about the person who sent the abusive email is that not once have they posted in this topic. I know that you all by you anti or pro this topic feel that the email was Out Of Order. I personally have never met this person or ether spoken to them ether verbally or in writing

Edited by Moote
I am trying to bounce around ideas for doing this; so that the main Forum can function without Clutter

There are loads of threads on the forum that are not congrats threads that I would consider clutter.... I'm sure some people think they aren't, some think they are.....

There are loads of threads on the forum that are not congrats threads that I would consider clutter.... I'm sure some people think they aren't, some think they are.....

Yes, but they cover a multitude of different subjects reflecting posters varied interests. Congratulations threads are all the same - well meaning but meaningless except to the recipient... :lol:

Why don't the people who are into congratulations just use the pinned thread? ;)

Edited by The Golem