Do You Post What Swag You Take And Leave?

When you log a find - do you also log what you took and what you left?

All the caches I've found, I've posted what I took and what I left. I'm debating about whether I want to continue doing that.

I always try to leave a comment about the trip, the cache, the area...something other than just took this, left that, thanks for the cache.

What are others doing?

I always do, at the end of my log. I write at least a paragraph ;pg, unless I thought it was totally carp. I usually don't trade (and when I do, it's usually for something that probably wouldn't make somebody leap off the sofa and go caching), but I've been disappointed a couple of times when I was hoping to pick up a coin or something somebody mentioned leaving, and it wasn't there. Also, I sometimes go back through the logs to see who left a peculiar swag item.

And it's a nice thing to tell people when you grab one of their sig items. I know it gives me the warm fuzzies.

I just got back from a trip to the Netherlands. One item (actually 1200 of them) I brought back was the pre-Euro Dutch Stuiver (5 cent coin). They did tend to run up the red flag going through the x-ray. They created one solid black mass on the screen.

Any rate - I'm placing three in a mini zip-loc bag and sticking a mini return address sticker on the outside of the bag that reads "Spyder13 Sparks, Nevada USA" Since I'm leaving the same thing in every cache and very seldom take anything, I was thinking that I wouldn't even mention it in the log.

Guess you could call this a sig item. How would you log it? "Left sig item", "Left a couple Dutch coins", "Left baggie :laughing: "

I always do, at the end of my log. I write at least a paragraph ;pg, unless I thought it was totally carp. I usually don't trade (and when I do, it's usually for something that probably wouldn't make somebody leap off the sofa and go caching), but I've been disappointed a couple of times when I was hoping to pick up a coin or something somebody mentioned leaving, and it wasn't there. Also, I sometimes go back through the logs to see who left a peculiar swag item.

And it's a nice thing to tell people when you grab one of their sig items. I know it gives me the warm fuzzies.

Yeah. I always write a fair bit in the logs - lets the owner know that you appreciated (or didn't appreciate) their cache.

I think its important to log what you left/took. That way if someone wants a particular item, they'll be able to look at the logs to see if it's still there.

Guess you could call this a sig item.  How would you log it?  "Left sig item",  "Left a couple Dutch coins", "Left baggie  :laughing: "

I leave coins, too...usually old British pennies. So...that's what I usually say. Like, "Left a 1917 British penny."

Okay. It's probably not the most creative thing I put in the log.

Guess you could call this a sig item. How would you log it? "Left sig item", "Left a couple Dutch coins", "Left baggie :laughing: "

If you put 2 in a baggie you could say you left a dime bag, lol! Not that I do any of that stuff, but it sure might stir up some interest.

As far as logging what I find and take, I do it every time. My family also reads the caches online to see what other people take or leave. My kids like to see when someone takes something we left.

I try to log when I trade, but sometimes I forget to take notes and can't remember what I took and left if I visit several caches in one day. I particulary often don't remember what I left because I have a bag of stuff and often randomly throw some items in. So it varies for me.

I keep pretty good records on my Palm and try to always write down what I take and leave. I appreciate being able to read back through my finds and see who takes my lighthouse pin or mood ring. I figure other people like to know what people are taking or leaving too.

I know of a couple instances where people went out to find a cache specifically to find something that I had left behind. That's kinda neat. :laughing:

Bret

I try to remember to add what I traded at the end of the log, and like CYBret said, occasionally I'll look back to see if someone has picked up that whateveritwas that I thought was really special. Stating what you took/left is a simple little courtesy for those who like to know a little more about a cache's history, whether they're the cache owner or a cache visitor.

Nope; I used to, but I gave it up. After as few as three caches, followed by two beers at lunch, I can't remember what I traded. I generally don't say much at all in the log book. I try to make a few remarks in the on-line log, but I usually stick to how difficult it was to find, condition of the cache, etc.--more if I really enjoyed it.

1/2 of our team (the other half, obviously) paints stones with landscapes, animals, flowers... and leave them in caches. They are snagged up rather quickly and the comments that are left in the online logs are truly inspiring. Brenda even painted a piece of wood for a local cacher to add to a Travel Bug

The Brenda Stone TB

One issue that we have been facing is that since her painted stones are so sought after, sometimes they are taken out of the cache container by unknown folks without logging it as taken. We know this because we get e-mail from the next cacher that visited the site and was disappointed that the stone we left was gone and nothing noted in the cache log since our visit.

We still log our swaps, Brenda just looks at it as flattery.

Dan

Edited by Wheel15
As far as logging what I find and take, I do it every time.  My family also reads the caches online to see what other people take or leave.  My kids like to see when someone takes something we left.

Ditto. We try to keep accurate records and log it all. (Can be tedious for me because we frequently have four or five kids on the team.) I think it is a courtesy to the cache owner as well as the swag traders.

Edited by GeoTeam Maggi

I always do. I write everything in a notebook after each cache find. Not only does it help the owners with cache maint, but I also like to see who picks up what I left and when.

With my own caches, I like it when cachers do this. I like to see who takes the FTF prize when I offer them. Most cachers in my area do this, but some don't. I get annoyed when I leave a personal geocoin or something and no one says they took it from the cache and other finders are disappointed when they arrive and find it gone with no note on the onsite log either.

I think it's just a good caching practice to do if possible.

We always log what we took and left, too , mostly because that's how we first saw it being done. It seemed like a good idea to let previous cachers know what became of the stuff they left behind. But recently I had a more concrete reason for favoring that practice: I went to the oldest cache in Massachusetts (First Mass), and when I was trading, I was thinking about the long history of the cache (almost 5 years), and was wondering about the chain of hundreds of trades that led up to my trade. I tried looking in the logs, but the trail ran cold pretty quickly, since not everyone lists their trades. It would have been fun to be able to trace it all the way back, though.

Think about it this way: if you left cool swag, wouldn't you want to know when someone took it?

I always log what I take -- I keep track in Cachemate on my Palm M500.

I left a waterproof container in my first FTF cache and someone just picked it up. He is going to use it for another cache, so I'm anxious to see where it turns up. :lol:

We always TRY to log what we take and what we leave. But there are certain instances when there have been mistakes made. TB's, geocoins and FTF are important but regular swag is no biggie. We do keep signature items when we can, but WG$ are passed along as soon as practical.

Edited by Cait&aly&unc

Sometimes I will read the logs to my 3,5and 7 year old to bait them to a cache, letting them know what items are in it.. This usually works. If there has not been mention in logs for awhile about trades and there is cool stuff i will comment in my online log. It is hard to sometimes keep track of their trades because of their ages they sometimes change their minds and put things back and get something else without me knowing. Patience is a virtue. I do log my trades for teh same reason I read them to my kids---to have a idea what is there. I always log and Release again TBs. 1BuzyMom

Recently someone left a Geo-coin in one of my caches, it hadnt been found and I made a TB motel and I went to get it out today to put in the motel and It was GONE, the website still shows it being in the cache. That makes me so mad when people dont log things like that, I can see not logging a McDonalds toy for another toy, but a TB or a GEOCOIN. I mean get real.:yikes::yikes: