Do You Like Geocaching History Lessons?

I am planning a group of caches based on our local history from the towns beginning to the present. In searching the Internet for information I found a local private school whose 5th and 6th graders do a history project every year and post their results on their Discovery School web site. I e-mailed the teacher and asked if I could use their information and I would give the students the credit for the research. She wrote back giving me the permission and asked if I would be interested in coming to the school and talking to the students about Geocaching and why I want to use their information...

Since this is related to their social studies project of Spokane History, I would like you to relate why the sport, game, challenge of geo-chaching would be interested in historical locations?

So I would like to get your comments as to why a geocacher is interested in historical locations. Tell me how geocaching has taken you to new and exciting places that you didn't know existed...in your own town. Give me examples of caches that took you to these locations so I can show the students examples of some of the cache locations. Locationless caches are fine too because they still got you there. I am creating a PowerPoint presentation and I will quote your responses on a slide or two for the kids.

I know there is an Education forum but I wanted to post this here because I felt I would bet a better response. Thanks for all your inputs.

Washington Red Bear

Edited by WARedBear

Here's some caches themed around local history that I really enjoyed.

Polly Takes the Plunge

Indian Trail Cache

Lost Children of the Alleghenies

Heros of Flight 93

Legand of the Black Wolf

MaGuire's Indian Massacre

Downtown Ricketts

Smallest in America

Canfield Island Dig

The Underground Railroad

I just love caches like these! If you noticed, there is quite a variety of cache types (micros, traditional, puzzle caches), To me. local history and caching are a perfect match.

Good luck with your project.

Salvelinus

I moved from Southern California to Southeast Tennesee about 7 years ago and always have been interested in our American history. Until caching I have always managed to be too busy with other things to actually make the time to visit the many historical sites near where I live. Since starting to geocache I have visited many of thes sites and truly enjoy seeing places where the historical events actually took place. In our area there are many caches hidden near and in old cemetaries where Revolutionary and Civil War figures are buried, the cache pages for these sites usually have something written about the history of the site and some even require you to answer some questions that you can find the answers to on plaques at the site or give links to websites with the answers. All of them suggest you take in the history while hunting the cache. The geocaches that give a history lesson are my absolutley favorite kind.

I have quite a number of caches along the Oregon Trail in Wyoming and Nebraska. Several are near Historical markers and others near areas of Historical significance.

This summer I hope to tie it all together for some kind of event. Print up a trail history for the area caches and invite cachers to come visit them across the course of the day and get together in the evening for a meeting and picnic. I am working on it hard and hope to pull it off.

Could start at either end of the 350 mile area and meet in the middle.

These are some of my favorites, but I do like it when most of the legs (if it's a multi) are within a short walk of each other.

Exactly. Especially for travelling cachers who benefit greatly from local histroy caches. We LOVE history caches!

But nothing stops me faster from seeking a cache while on the road than a complicated mulit-stop cache. I'd rather find one in a garbage dump.

I've had a strong interest in history, particularly the Revolutionary War and colonial eras and enjoy discovering historic sites through geocaching. Here are some historically oriented caches I own or enjoyed.

Historic cache I own

Fort Nonsense.

Site of a Revolutionary War fort, built by Washintgon's troops to protect his encampment at Morristown.

Rock Stock and Barrel.

Site of an ancient Indian rock shelter, complete with petroglyphs.

Lord Stirling

Site of the estate of Revolutionary War general, Lord Stirling

The Great Falls of the Passaic

The birthplace of American industry and modern capitalism.

Federal Hill

Site of a Revolutionary War encampment and of a major troop mutiny. Later the site of a WW1 munitions dump and a German Bund camp.

Long Pond Ironworks

Site of a colonial and Civil War era ironworks. Foundations and buildings remain from both eras.

Hasenclever Iron

Follows a long lost, colonial era road built between ironmaster, Peter Hasenclever's estate and the Long Pond Ironworks.

The Ironman

Site of colonial era iron mines.

Historic caches I've found

Old Ironworks

Site of a 19th century ironworks. Some foundations remain

Old Stone School

Placed next to a schoolhouse built in the early 1800's

Aaron Burr Drank Here

Placed next to a 1700's tavern where Aaron Burr stopped.

Edison's Dark Hole.

One of a series of caches placed on the former grounds of Thomas Edison's iron mining and ore production site. Edison lost millions on this operation (big bucks back then) and closed it down in the 1890's. Many foundations and mine shafts remain. This series is one of my absolute favorites.

Old Cornish Farm

Placed in the remains of a farm owned by a wealthy family in the late 1800's

Washington's Crossing

Placed in Washinton Crossing State Park, not far from where George crossed the Delaware on Christmas night in 1776.

Monumental Monument

Site of the stores that British troops were after when the Battle of Bennignton erupted.

Hamilton Death Rock.

The rock that legend has it, Alexander Hamilton rested his head on when he fell, mortally wounded, during a duel with Aaron Burr

Edited by briansnat

Here's my first history cache: Foundation of the Church

I've always loved history, at least partly because of some outstanding history teachers I had in school. Here's something to think about for geocaching and history: there are many, many places that have an interesting story to tell. Unfortunately, it may not be a "big" enough story to warrant a historical marker or such, and maybe not many local folks know about it. Geocaching gives a great opportunity to bring it to light for at least some people. I know, when I learn something new about our area, I tend to share it with friends...even if they aren't geocachers.

I'm not a history buff, for that matter I hated history when I was in school. BUT, I LOVE the history type caches. I love going to the various places and reading what happened there and when. My favorities though are the really old cemetaries. Since I started caching I have gone to so many places near my home that I would never have visited if it weren't for the cache. And here in SC, there are tons of historical sites to visit and cache at.

I moved shortly before I signed up for geocaching. I knew about it long before that but there were no caches near home so never bothered with it. Being in a new city, caches have helped me learn about the history of this new place I call home.

It would be nice to have an attribute to designate a cache with historical significance to help travellers know which ones to hunt to learn about the area. With virtuals almost gone, it's not as easy to pick them out.

But nothing stops me faster from seeking a cache while on the road than a complicated mulit-stop cache.  I'd rather find one in a garbage dump.

Interesting comment.

No offense to you, but maybe that explains the fairly recent proliferation of caches showing up near rest stop and parking lot dumpsters.

My Underground Railroad cache is a 50+ miles long multi...mostly driving. It was designed for the cacher who wants to learn about a little known piece of local history, that was tied into a significant chapter of our American history. If your into smiley faces...this one is not for you. But the online logs from the finders of this cache have inspired me.

I suspect that most caches themed around local history are not always "easy".

Salvelinus

My Underground Railroad cache is a 50+ miles long multi...mostly driving. It was designed for the cacher who wants to learn about a little known piece of local history, that was tied into a significant chapter of our American history. If your into smiley faces...this one is not for you. But the online logs from the finders of this cache have inspired me.

Around here, a multi requiring that much distance would be done as a series of caches, not a multi. This assumes that the various sites visited can support a cache.

--Marky

I think it's a great idea. Too many caches in our area take you to a location of little or no significance. My children already know all about Dairy Queen and empty parking lots. I think incorporating a lesson and having to learn will make it that much funner for both kids and adults. I'm even creating a pirate cache based on the little knowledge I have of all pirates combined. It's guaranteed someone will learn something and in turn teach it to someone else. At this point Redbear, I don't think any of your caches would be disapointing anyhow!

Around here, a multi requiring that much distance would be done as a series of caches, not a multi.  This assumes that the various sites visited can support a cache.

Around here, its not about the numbers. <_<

I did it this way so people who want to find the cache...will, and those that want the numbers wont. For me its about seeing interesting things, visiting cool places, learning something new, or overcoming a challenge. I don't keep score. That's how I play this game and the caches I place reflect that.

Salvelinus

We just started caching and find a good way to learn the area we moved to recently, and we also use it to teach our son about history instead of just learning it in books. If you go there it is real, not just words on paper.

Great way of remembering a historical location or event.

I've always loved history, at least partly because of some outstanding history teachers I had in school. Here's something to think about for geocaching and history: there are many, many places that have an interesting story to tell. Unfortunately, it may not be a "big" enough story to warrant a historical marker or such, and maybe not many local folks know about it. Geocaching gives a great opportunity to bring it to light for at least some people. I know, when I learn something new about our area, I tend to share it with friends...even if they aren't geocachers.

I think this is the best comment I've seen so far.

I know I have driven by historical markers on the road and never bothered to stop because I wanted to get where I was going. With geocaching it is now more about the journey. A cache at the site will give us a reason to stop and read the sign. One of my favorites was actually a DNF for us but it was still cool to read the history of the area.

The Night the Mountain Fell

I've always been interested in history, but have never spent too much time thinking about local history.

Since geocaching, and placing my own caches, I've become hugely interested and aware of my town's local history. I've set up several historical caches, and am always aware as I am going by certain buildings, or see the names on street signs, who they were and what they did there. It is fascinating to see what early pioneers did to create the town I now enjoy. <_<

We've been to many a cool historical place since we started caching. Those have been some of our favorites for sure. Single stage, multi, or a series of caches are all fun. I'm still not a fan of virtuals as i just dont like the extra ( i know it's not much) work involved in claiming the find. For me, finding a log sheet to sign is the only way to go! <_<

I can hit you from the other side.

I have been shooting for local history buff since I was a kid. Now i'm 26. Not there yet.

But i'm new to this sport, so I plan to bring some of my knowledge to geocaching; as opposed to geocaching teaching me about my local history. Can't wait to place some sometime.

I'll keep the learning local history part to your town's caches when I visit.

As a local history buff, I love directing people to the lesser-known places, the ones that might be mentioned somewhere in between the bigger stories in the history books. I live in the area that was the birthplace of the world's oil industry. That may sound kind of boring, but it was like the California gold rush during the early days, so it was like the wild west, ghost towns and everything. Right now my newest hide, The Beer Well, is getting rave reviews. And people who like that one are seeking out my older hide, The Brickyard. My approach is a bit different, in that you don't know what the story about the place is until you actually find the cache. Then inside the container is the story, which in the case of these two, is fairly fascinating. There are enough of these little stories that I could keep hiding new caches for ten years solid.

I love history caches! I also wish that more geocachers would learn about the history of their cache location and post it. Exactly *how* did that car get into that tree, anyway?

I agree whole heartedly. I have found caches that were in a great historical site and all the cache page said was "this is a historical site". I found one that stated "I don't know what was here before". That to me shows...I know I am opening a can of worms here :ph34r: ...a laziness on the hider to not take the time to find out WHAT was there. I mean a really neat cache with a story and a background could be placed there...instead of another cache and grab, get in get out,add another find...meaningless cache. <_< I'll shut-up now..... :unsure:

History caches are among my favorite - right up there with scenic mountain hikes. There's something refreshing and invigorating about learning as you play! I have discovered not only a great deal about new locations I've visited, but also about locations that I previously thought I knew well. For example:

One of my favorite caches is a very educational one in your backyard (Spokane) that I highly recommend: gjemsel2002's Indian Canyon Park Cache. It takes you to some locations that played a important part in Chief Spokan Garry's latter days. Despite growing up nearby and playing in the area many times over the years, I never knew of these locations. It was a very wonderful feeling to learn about such a key part of the history of my hometown.

I also wish that more geocachers would learn about the history of their cache location and post it. Exactly *how* did that car get into that tree, anyway?

I agree to a point - I grew weary of cache descriptions that ran for 3 pages. It felt more pedantic than informative. It's also problematic for those who print the cache pages to take with them - before I went paperless, I used to copy these long winded descriptions into a word processor and edit out the lecture, to save a tree!

My point is that for me it's a question of balance - enough information to be informative, without so much information that it detracts from the experience by turning the cache description into a textbook. Using links (assuming information about the site is already on line somewhere) is a nice way to accomplish the balance.

Back on topic - I enjoy historical caches because they are interesting! It's as simple as that.

Edit: Typos

Edited by Kai Team

I have recently placed 4 caches in a Park near to where I grew up, and now live.

There are other caches in this park, but none were adressing the historical aspects of this great park. Since my Mom grew up next to the park, and her parents were heavily involved with its development in the early 1930's, I figured I'd try and give cachers a bit a history, and placed caches near some historical features of the park.

My problem was, I wasnt able to get any sources or links for alot of info I got from my Grandparents files, and my Mom- so My "History Lessons" are pretty short, and not very detailed.

Since I didnt really try and build a very fancy page for my first 4 caches, these are my first 4 attempts at a better page- So, I have a ways to go.. . .

Anyway, here they are:

(3&4 may not be appv'd yet, but s/b shortly)

If you think about it, geocachers are going to be made up of naturally curious people. Folks who want to see what is out there and where it is. Most of them want to know the WHY as well. Historical based caches fulfill all these needs we have. If you look at caches that don't give much history of an area but just bring you somewhere, you usually see a few logs that read "Wish I knew more about this place, must have some reason it is this way" or something similar.

Naturally curious with a sense of place and time is how I would typify most cachers I know. Not a sense of timelyness mind you... but a sense of the history and a respect for the history of a location.

-Jennifer

Team Wampus' Foundation of the Church cache was a great one to do. I spent more time wandering around reading the gravestones and absorbing the history lesson than I did looking for the cache....so much so that I lost track of time and was almost late for a meeting, which is what had brought me to the area in the first place, and I was just doing the cache to kill time before the meeting.

Today, on my way back from Knoxville, I did an historic virtual that showed me a little odd footnote to history that fascinated me. So much so, that as soon as I got home I started researching more on it to find out if it really was true or not... and in the process, I learned a lot more about something that was supposedly fact all these years.

If a cache has something historical associated with it, I will choose to do that over any other cache most of the time. But, being a history buff, I admit I am biased.

Hank

I love history caches! I also wish that more geocachers would learn about the history of their cache location and post it. Exactly *how* did that car get into that tree, anyway?

I agree whole heartedly. I have found caches that were in a great historical site and all the cache page said was "this is a historical site". I found one that stated "I don't know what was here before". That to me shows...I know I am opening a can of worms here B) ...a laziness on the hider to not take the time to find out WHAT was there. I mean a really neat cache with a story and a background could be placed there...instead of another cache and grab, get in get out,add another find...meaningless cache. :lol: I'll shut-up now..... B)

My cache, "Indian Lore", has been disapointing so far, Redbear.

I've searched in several books for mention of the cemetary, and there are references to Indian cemetaries around there, but does not specifically say which cemetary is which.

I made about three calls before I found the family that maintains it, and they said that they wouldn't talk about it over the phone, and wanted to see me in person in May at the cemetary. If they remember to call me. :D

*sigh*

Sometimes all you can do is make it a park & grab. B)

I think the best caches are the ones that take me to something I knew didn't exist. Many of these involve history of the area. The area I live in is quite historical and many "artifacts" remain from years gone by. There's even some that involve Daniel Boone as well as local people of interest. I find myself amazed at some of the things around me and without geocaching, I'd never know they existed.

Some of my faves have been:

This Old House

Davy Crockett Trilogy - Boyhood Home

Ghost Children

White's Mill

Some of these are virtuals but being historical buildings, I can understand why. Seeing a structure that has survived 200+ years has to have some "wow" factor to it. I wish you the best of luck on the presentation and hope this helps some.

But nothing stops me faster from seeking a cache while on the road than a complicated mulit-stop cache.  I'd rather find one in a garbage dump.

Interesting comment.

No offense to you, but maybe that explains the fairly recent proliferation of caches showing up near rest stop and parking lot dumpsters.

My Underground Railroad cache is a 50+ miles long multi...mostly driving. It was designed for the cacher who wants to learn about a little known piece of local history, that was tied into a significant chapter of our American history. If your into smiley faces...this one is not for you...

It is true. Rest stop and parking lot dumpster caches are not for everyone and people are more than welcome to not go look for them.

But I find that dumpsters and history are not mutually exclusive. People that are "into smiley faces" find a hell of a lot of quality history caches along the way in addition to great hikes, great views, clever hides, nettles, poison oak, mountain lions, rattlesnakes... In other words, adventure! Dumpsters make for a balanced overall caching experience and rest stop caches help keep you awake on a 700 mile drive.

If your 50 mile cache was in my home county I would not hesitate to go after it. My post might have been a bit too abrasive but when on the road or with a limited time for caching it is difficult to get "up" for a complex multi.

I thought it might be good for the OP'er to hear another point of view. That being that travelers, who benefit greatly from local history caches, can't always take the time to do multis that involve more than a short walk between stations.

I love history caches and have placed many. I have a series where you get a number at several caches that when you go to the last one, it tells you how to organize your clues to find the last one.

There is a charter school in our area that caches every Tuesday with the weather is good. They like learning history through caching. Visit Chrysalis Geocachers at: http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=8e...b0-1e6456ebc634

This is a cache posting from my series History Lives - Stick 'em up or Tell it to the Judge

The final cache in a series of historical caches that celebrate some of the events and locations that add character to our north state. It is a two part cache. Finding "Stick 'em Up" does not finish the quest. Without the "Tell it to the Judge" part, you have not "found" the cache and your post may be changed to a note or deleted.

This is the final cache in a series of local caches with the theme of exploring local history. While the journey may not always challenge, the Ah Ha feeling that "History Happened Here" is special and what this series is all about.

At this cache will be a list of the following caches. They will be listed in a particular order that is important because you have collected numbers at each cache in the series. Put the numbers in the correct order and you will be directed to the final destination and asked to answer one question. The question is in the box at the above coordinates.

To officially count this as "found," and complete the series, the answer to the question has to be sent to MtnMike.

This cache is located at the site of the Ruggles' Brothers Stage Coach Robbery. It is a registered Historic Place in Shasta County and had a marker placed by a Boy Scout Troop in 1988. Unfortunately, the marker has been vandalized, leaving only a pole set in concrete.

In 1892 a stage was robbed at this location. The robbers, Charles and John Ruggles took gold and mail and a guard Amos “Buck” Montgomery was killed. As you stand at the cache, imagine the robbers laying in wait, as the stage was rounding the bend. Some time after the robbery, the brothers were captured and John stated he hid all the gold, except the coin, in a nearby creek with a floating device that came within a foot of the top of the water. The mail pouch was found near Lower Springs, the gold has never been found. While in custody, something tragic happened. To learn about this event, see “Ruggles’ Frontier Justice?”

“Tell it to the Judge” is what must have been said to the apprehended robbers. It is also what my father, TarpMan, said his Mom, Helen, often said before he went out on the town in the Redding of the 1950’s, “Just don’t do anything that you will have to “Tell To The Judge.” ”

The Caches that make up this series are below but not in the correct order to find the final cache location.

Beltline

Buena Ventura

Falke's Lake

Iron Mountain Mined

Precious One

Reading's Rainbow

Ruggles’ Frontier Justice?

Swimming Hole

Other historical caches I have placed are:

Above, the Law

Go Bear Go!

Princess Colombine

Pusher

Master Builder

Olympic Dreams

Odd Fellow

Piety Hill

Dig It

MtnMike

My first hide was an offset cache that requires a little local history lesson to gather the clues to the final coordinates. The response has been good and several cachers have commented that they appreciated the history lesson and really like this type of cache.

I plan to do more of this type but one problem that I have encountered is if any segment of a multi-step cache takes you within 528 feet of any other cache, our regional approver will not approve the cache. This really makes it difficult to add any new caches in many historic areas.

History caches are among my favorite - right up there with scenic mountain hikes.  There's something refreshing and invigorating about learning as you play!  I have discovered not only a great deal about new locations I've visited, but also about locations that I previously thought I knew well.  For example:

I loved your Conquering the Alleghenies cache. This is exactly what historical caches should be like...except the fee part. Its one of the few virts I didn't mind logging.

I encourage you to bring this one back. There are many more cachers around here now that would get an appreciation of this cache, and there are a few more nearby caches to get them in the area as well. I'll be glad to do some leg work for you to be sure the sites are still as they were.

Whadda ya say?

Salvelinus

Edited by Salvelinus

I agree whole heartedly. I have found caches that were in a great historical site and all the cache page said was "this is a historical site". I found one that stated "I don't know what was here before". That to me shows...I know I am opening a can of worms here :lol: ...a laziness on the hider to not take the time to find out WHAT was there. I mean a really neat cache with a story and a background could be placed there...instead of another cache and grab, get in get out,add another find...meaningless cache. :D I'll shut-up now..... B)

My cache, "Indian Lore", has been disapointing so far, Redbear.

I've searched in several books for mention of the cemetary, and there are references to Indian cemetaries around there, but does not specifically say which cemetary is which.

I made about three calls before I found the family that maintains it, and they said that they wouldn't talk about it over the phone, and wanted to see me in person in May at the cemetary. If they remember to call me. B)

*sigh*

Sometimes all you can do is make it a park & grab. B)

I agree. Sometimes you can't find anything about the history of the spot to include in your cache page. What I would do is make that comment in your cache description. Maybe someone who finds the cache would know where to look. At least that way you let the other cachers know that you made an effort to find out about the history...not that it matters. Did you check with the Museum in Cashmere? I was told to check with them when I tried to put a cache there (that was disapproved B) ). You might also take a walk through the cemetery and make a note of the inscriptions in the cache descriptions. Personally...I would have used the dates to make up the cache coords...that way people at least have to visit the cemetery and not just do a quick cache and grab. Again...my opinion. B)

Today, on my way back from Knoxville, I did an historic virtual that showed me a little odd footnote to history that fascinated me. So much so, that as soon as I got home I started researching more on it to find out if it really was true or not... and in the process, I learned a lot more about something that was supposedly fact all these years.

That is another side effect of caching for those who are so inclined...I have learned so much about "other" things in researching for my own caches, reading other caches for ideas, or researching something I read on a cache page that sounding interesting. I read a book mentioned in a local cache that caught my attention. I have learned about cypher text used during wars, smarter men than me who have invented items of interest, old and forgotten languages just to mention a few things that I have learned. In fact I am working on a cache that will be in old 15th century Celtic language. How did I find it? I thought about using bar codes for a cache...did a search on the Internet and found this old language as the "first" bar code. That should give you an idea about what the language looks like. I just saw some light bulbs come on :lol: .

My opinion again I feel that cachers who do nothing but cache and grab and throw out nothing but "lame" caches are missing a whole universe of information that can be used to make you a more rounded and informed individual. Again that is my own ignorant opinion B) . Now let me put on that helment and grab another Krispy Kreme. B) I am working on being a really ROUNDED cacher. :D

Edited by WARedBear

:lol: Many areas have historical societies and they have listings of the registered historical places in your area. Go get one of the books listing these, make sure it is OK to cache there and place a cache.

Northern California has great historical references available and if I am looking for a place to consider for a cache, I read one of the many books I have picked up from the historical society.

MtnMike (formerly TheOracle)

Love em. I'll throw a shout out for an oldie, GCAA46.

It's a tiny spot in Benicia, CA, the oldest US military cemetery in California. In 150 years, a camel corps has come an gone, and refineries and housing have infiltrated the area. The access is a "secret" road through and apartment complex and under petroleum pipelines. GCAA46 has an 1849 Army officer, several Unknown Soldiers, German WWII POW's, a horse, and Tuffy, the only dog to be court martialed.