Cacher's Stats Are Only....1 Hidden?

EGMUNI

I've recently noticed a few of these pop up in our area. A new cache placed, an unfamiliar screen name and their only statistics is...the new cache that has just been placed. No finds...no nothing...just the one hidden cache. I hate to say it, but I'm not always eager to be the first to find on one of these. I like to wait until I see a known cacher log it...then I'll go after it. Am I being too paranoid?

While there is no hard set rule against it, its always a good idea to have a few finds under your belt before trying to hide one.

Whether to go for it or not is up you. FTF can be pretty competitive so chances are there will be a log sometime in the early morning hours anyways.

Edited by WH
Here is my two cents! A dummy name so the hider can also log the find(under their real name), in order to stack their numbers... But that is just my two cents, probably not worth much....

To what end? To my knowledge there is no money or prizes for the one with the highest cache count.

I've recently noticed a few of these pop up in our area.  A new cache placed, an unfamiliar screen name and their only statistics is...the new cache that has just been placed. No finds...no nothing...just the one hidden cache.  I hate to say it, but I'm not always eager to be the first to find on one of these.  I like to wait until I see a known cacher log it...then I'll go after it.  Am I being too paranoid?

Not sure why you are being paranoid ... unless you think its a booby trap (hehehe I said booby). And if someone is hiding caches to pad their numbers then they have way too much time on their hands. If I went to that much trouble to hide a cache for the purpose of padding my numbers or cheating... I would want the effort to be worth 20 or 30 cache finds. But then again I only cheat when I'm playing Yahtzee. :surprise:

One concern I have about seeking a cache where the hider has no finds is whether the cache will be there or whether there will be a problem. There was a cache that I searched for in a State Forest locally. I spent over three hours in two trips and had a very uneasy feeling about someone putting out a new cache without finding any. I understand the sockpuppet but would feel better knowing that the person is really a person and has actually found caches and knows what they are doing. As it turned out, the cords were way off and after over 5 to 6 people searching for the cache and three weeks later it was determined that the cache was not at the cords listed.

One concern I have about seeking a cache where the hider has no finds is whether the cache will be there or whether there will be a problem. There was a cache that I searched for in a State Forest locally. I spent over three hours in two trips and had a very uneasy feeling about someone putting out a new cache without finding any. I understand the sockpuppet but would feel better knowing that the person is really a person and has actually found caches and knows what they are doing. As it turned out, the cords were way off and after over 5 to 6 people searching for the cache and three weeks later it was determined that the cache was not at the cords listed.

I've found caches hidden by people with hundreds of finds with similar issues.

Thanks for the comments. I guess my real concern is that possibly it could be some kind of set up or....yes, a booby trap. :surprise: Especially, since the caches are located in isolated areas like preserves and forests. I too had thought that it could be a pseudo name of an exisiting cacher, but I don't know? Anyway, I think I'll contnue to play it safe and just sit back and wait,until somone that doesn't mind being the FTF on one of these. :anibad:

Here is my two cents! A dummy name so the hider can also log the find(under their real name), in order to stack their numbers... But that is just my two cents, probably not worth much....

That's an awful lot of effort for little return.

No, some of the folks that want the big numbers get together with a bunch of friends and each places a bunch of throw away caches so the others can find it. Who cares that it doesn't last long. The log gets soggy, you archive it. Another of the group comes along and places a cache there, and everyone gets another find. w00t! Much more efficient and you grow your numbers much faster.

Thanks for the comments. I guess my real concern is that possibly it could be some kind of set up or....yes, a booby trap. :surprise: Especially, since the caches are located in isolated areas like preserves and forests. I too had thought that it could be a pseudo name of an exisiting cacher, but I don't know? Anyway, I think I'll contnue to play it safe and just sit back and wait,until somone that doesn't mind being the FTF on one of these. :anibad:

I wouldn't sweat it too much. I believe the approvers would question somebody with no finds. Most likely, as mentioned before, this is a sock puppet account.

I created a sock puppet to hide a cache because I didn't want people to know who it was when searching (I identify myself in the cache itself). When I submitted, the approver questioned my hide, but approved it once I said who I really was.

I imagine the same scenerio would play out in most areas.

At one time not so very long ago, it wan't uncommon to see a cache place by someone with no, or very few finds. If they didn't this sport would never have grown to where it is today.

Now...if we could do it back then...why can't it be done today?

El Diablo

Becouse now you have to worry about your cache placement living up to the standards of the elitist cachers and having it scrutinized 20 different ways.

I did a cache with a fellow cacher and so we could bo access it we craeted a new account. Though I did let the cache have 2 finds, the two of the hardest caches of the area whiche we owned. O'well what wories me more is someone with 5 fines and making a new hide.

cheers

Becouse now you have to worry about your cache placement living up to the standards of the elitist cachers and having it scrutinized 20 different ways.

No you don't. Don't let some loud mouths frighten you away from hiding a cache. Play your own game, let them play thiers. You have as much right to hide as they to to sit at home and complain.

Edited by fishingfools

EGMUNI, I've gone out after some of those hides in our area - 1 hide, one find. No finds one hide. They've been interesting? some lousy coords by folks who really hadn't figured out how to run their new GPSr but mostly okay. And around Orlando, some sock puppet hides. I don't know why they're sock puppeting (sock puppeting?) but the write ups and hides are way too sophisticated for new cachers. I gotta admit I never even considered any kind of booby trap, other than the possibility I'd drive a ways and hike a ways and come away with nada (which has happened). But I've also nabbed a couple of MEFFs.

I think many of these situations are the result of geocaching clubs or groups. Our local club, the Poison Oak Cachers, has a club account and people place caches under the group name to build group identity and fun. It is also a fun way to welcome visiting cachers with the club name. Then we can talk about the ones we place under the group name at our event caches and find out who really did it. It can be fun to guess the hider based on the cache type or location.

I have seen a number of these. I think some new people just want to get out and hide before finding. Others might be a sock account. I don't know. Regardless, I have never run into any real issues. Some were good caches and some not so good, but still legit caches and I had fun. I didn't really worry about it. I doubt any had some sort of ill motive. I suppose that an ill motive could happen, but I doubt it would be the norm.