Coin Collecting

GO West

This may be a bit of a taboo subject,

but if you are holding a trackable coin - USA, Canadian, or Moun10bike, or a yellow jeep - as a collector's item... why?

Black's defines possession as: "power over an object to the exclusion of all other persons." Well, if you're holding one of these trackable items, you are certainly doing that.

These items have reached a dead end in your hand. Why do it?

Well the Moun10Bike coins are rather special. Although Moun10Bike retains ownership he generously allows you to keep one as described in the goal. I'm sure he would rather see them move but it just doesnt happen. Witness #178 which I released on 7/6/04. It was immediately snapped up and vaulted by someone who didn't have a Moun10Bike coin. This is quite acceptable as I understand it.

As for the others, if they are being tracked they should be moved along. An exception is unactivated coins. For instance I have two Canadian coins that I bought from Mr Gigabyte at last year's Spokane Cache Machine. They have never been activated and they are mine. I have a couple State coins that are also in that category. When the new WA State coins come in I will be keeping one of those too. After awhile you build up a little collection.

I cant understand the Yellow Jeeps though. Two of the four I have placed dissappeared immediately. With 5000 out there they are hardly collector's items.

a trackable coin - USA, Canadian, or Moun10bike, or a yellow jeep - as a collector's item... why?

I also don't understand why they go out of circulation, especially the yellow jeeps. They're travel bugs, right. Travel bugs are suppose to move. In a few weeks there will be 1500 Washington State geocoins in circulation. I predict they too will become a rare find in caches as they become collectors items.

I'm not sure why some insist on removing coins and TB's (Especially Jeep TB's) from the geocache stream.

Why don't they claim constructive possession of all coins and TB's, and leave actual possession to those of us who want to pass the items on for all to enjoy?

As for Moun10bike retaining ownership of coins, the doctrine of abandonment gets in the way of such a claim . . .

Edited by Orbiter Dicta

Good lord, OD! Where did that come from?

But, what can you expect from a tadpole forum-poster.

You know, I must have been absent the day they taught constructive possession in Property. I was absent alot of days in Property.

(sp) edit

Edited by GO West
This may be a bit of a taboo subject,

but if you are holding a trackable coin - USA, Canadian, or Moun10bike, or a yellow jeep - as a collector's item... why?

Black's defines possession as: "power over an object to the exclusion of all other persons." Well, if you're holding one of these trackable items, you are certainly doing that.

These items have reached a dead end in your hand. Why do it?

Coins are what I like. I don't collect them unless I find them in a cache. Geo coins are all the better.

To date I haven't found one yet. However as they are the best cache item out there, that's why keep them at all. I'm sorry to see the trend towards trackable coins. It means they aren't swag.

Does this mean I'm a bad person?

Nope. You're the good guy.

How many of your Moun10Bike collectables are in caches, awaiting a finder?

How many are collecting dust on mantels?

Man, if I went to the work you did to produce these coins and get them trackable, I'd be ticked at what people are doing to them.

I hate to use other's "bad" behavior to justify my own, but I'll do it anyway.

If I thought the M10B geocoin that I have would be moved like a TB, I'd release it tomorrow. However, it would just end up on someone else's mantel, and I walked 9 miles in the rain to get my hands on it. :blink:

Besides, I collect sig items, and that is the mother of all sig items.

I hate to use other's "bad" behavior to justify my own, but I'll do it anyway.

If I thought the M10B geocoin that I have would be moved like a TB, I'd release it tomorrow. However, it would just end up on someone else's mantel, and I walked 9 miles in the rain to get my hands on it. :blink:

Besides, I collect sig items, and that is the mother of all sig items.

I don't know if Moun10bike changed his personal rule on them but if they hadn't traveled much you didn't mind if you kept it. If it did, he prefered you moved it on.

Never seen a Moun10bike coin though...

I have a few regrets in life.

1) I sold my 1968 Camero in 1979. Boy I wish I still had it. :blink:

2) I sold a house just before the market took off. The price nearly doubled within 5 years. :ninja:

3) I gave up the only Moun10bike geocoin I ever found by placing it in another cache. Now I can't seem to get to one again before its snatched up by someone else.

Those are the 3 things in my life that I regret. :huh:

Edited by The Navigatorz
How many of your Moun10Bike collectables are in caches, awaiting a finder?

Based on my records, as of this moment, 4.

Man, if I went to the work you did to produce these coins and get them trackable, I'd be ticked at what people are doing to them.

Ticked? Nah. In fact, I'm honored that they have become as desireable as they are. Besides, even if I were to get ticked, I'd only have myself to blame - since day one I've said right on the coin pages that people can keep them if they'd like.

The only exception to that has been those coins that have traveled 2000 miles or more. Those I ask that they keep on moving.

I've could have gone back to caches that I've already found,but I just feel funny about collecting a coin from a cache that I've already hit.

I agree with both EGH and Go West.

Personally, I don't do return trips for travel bugs or signature items. I even felt bad grabbing a Moun10Bike coin seconds after it had been placed. But to each his own.

I appreciate the effort that people put into creating these items. In fact I LOVE them! And if you love something you must let it go. If you're lucky it will come back to you.

No regrets,

Mark

I'd like to see the numbers on the two coins on the top left in your photo Jon. My guess is 001 and 201. Makes me wonder what those two would pull in on E-bay.

After seeing coins get snatched up and kept right after I placed them, and seeing how quickly new coins were grabbed after Jon placed them, I decided that I was going to keep the two that I have. One is the 2cnd series that he placed in his 2000 find, and the other is a first run that my sister took on a sailing trip around the world with her, so they are both special. If I knew for sure that they would keep moving and not get kept by the first person that grabbed them, I would consider putting them back in circulation, but odds are they wouldn't last a day. It just makes them all the more valuable.

By the way, Moun10Bike doesn't have an evil bone in his body. He is genuinely one of the nicest people I have ever met, but that's ok, I more than make up for it.

Edited by niskibum
........identify some caches that would be suitable to place a M10B coin.

This one comes to mind!

Honestly, I would not presume to suggest locations for folks to place one of their valued - and hard earned - treasures. The source of my vexation is that I don't think it would matter: the owner, or a previous finder, would likely quickly go grab it. And there, again, it would sit at a dead end.

Several of the posts in this thread have stated, in effect, "I keep the item because if I placed it, someone else would just grab it and keep it." Too true.

I have two dozen WA Geo-coins on order, plus 5 new TB kits. I would like to make a few of the coins into bugs, but how far are they likely to travel?

Currently I have two Moun10bike Geocoins in my possession - one I plan to release on a backpacking trip in Montana next week. The other I will keep on my "mantle" until I'm lucky enough to find another one. I consider these to be just about the only item worth taking from a geocache at this point in my geocaching adventure.

I found one Jeep TB - as it turns out mere moments before someone drove all the way to Idaho from Seattle to get it. Had I known that I would have left it for those folks. I placed it on a mountain top and it was gone within days.

I released the last Moun10bike coin on a remote peak on the border of Idaho and Montana thinking it would be there for a long, long, time. It lasted a day or so and hasn't moved since. That one was kind of special as it was the very first one I found and it came complete with a special "georacer" container to hold it.

I wish I had a collection of coins like Moun10bikes!

Edited by MedicOne
What have people traded them for?

I've traded them for other gecoins! :)

Regarding caches into which I'd put geocoins, I usually pick grand hikes or milestones. Occasionally another cache will come along that strikes me as especially enjoyable and I'll toss a coin in there. I really like history, so caches that take me to cool significant locations have a soft spot in my heart. The last cache prior to Seth!'s Mission:Impossible cache into which I dropped a coin was gjemsel2002's Indian Canyon Park Cache, which led me to some significant Spokane area history that I had never seen despite growing up in Spokane!

I keep a list of my favorite caches here. At the risk of taking this thread off-topic, what sorts of caches would others pick for placing geocoins?

Edited by Moun10Bike

Last weekend a group of us hiked/climbed St. Helens. At EraSeek's Above the Clouds cache I played a little game of pass the Moun10Bike coin. The two other cachers were from Oregon and would have likely never seen one of these coins. It was fun to share, but I did want it back. I guess what I am saying is if you come across me caching and you haven't found one yet... I got to get my own coin minted. Anybody want to guess what would be on it? Peace, Nolenator

Last weekend a group of us hiked/climbed St. Helens. At EraSeek's Above the Clouds cache I played a little game of pass the Moun10Bike coin. The two other cachers were from Oregon and would have likely never seen one of these coins. It was fun to share, but I did want it back. I guess what I am saying is if you come across me caching and you haven't found one yet... I got to get my own coin minted. Anybody want to guess what would be on it? Peace, Nolenator

Hawaiiian grass skirts?

Here's my undenominated cents:

I am one of the Oregon cachers Nolenator referred to who held the m10bike coin last weekon Mt St Helens. While it was an interesting idea, I was not star struck by the presence of the coin in my palm for 5 seconds. I really don't care that the record of having the coin is now on my stats page. In fact, I didn't find that one, I just happened to be able to keep up with Nolenator that day when he reached the cache. I did play along with the game in order to please my new friend- smitten with his special trophy. He already knows that I am a geocaching snob.

I do like the general idea of the coin thing and the presence of one would increase my interest in a cache, but I am not a collector (I am a misplacer or some would say loser!) and I have always moved the coins on when I have found them. I do make it a point not to put coins or TBs in cache and dashes, so that the next finder has to make some effort to find the prize.

- the cfm

Which cacher has the geocoin with the dolphins?  Is there any link for that geocoin?

That's a 2Dolphins geocoin. He is a cacher that used to work with me but just recently moved to your side of the country - Delaware. He has only released a handful of the coins and has no web site for them that I am aware of. The first of these coins was released when we were out on a hunt together back in December.

I keep a list of my favorite caches here. At the risk of taking this thread off-topic, what sorts of caches would others pick for placing geocoins?

Moun10Bike,

Offtopic: I drop my new sig items (below) at caches that I especially like (longer hikes historical locations, fun hide, etc.) but will never drop one at a park 'n' grab.

I alos drop California Geocoins and will soon have coins customized for our local group (Santa Cruz County) with some help from NavDog on the design ;) .

I actually saw a coin 12 miles from my house here in Scotts Valley, CA about 2 months ago but it was gone before I could get to it.......

I was born in Spokane too and have a lot of family there - haven't been back since I started caching and can't wait to make that trip soon!

Ontopic: I don't expect any of my sig items, California coins, or "soon to be here" SCC coins to be moved - if they do it's a bonus but I know they will be collected and have accepted that.

I consider it giving back and providing something neat for the next finder.

I'd like to see the numbers on the two coins on the top left in your photo Jon. My guess is 001 and 201. Makes me wonder what those two would pull in on E-bay.

Oh man, I'd never cheapen anyone's geocoin by selling it on ebay, I don't think I would be able to sleep at night. They're all way too valuable for that. Though I'm sure it was just idle wondering. Thankfully I've never seen one pop up on there, only way I'd be okay with it is if the owner themselves decided to sell one.

Personally if I had a geocoin minted (and the thought has crossed my mind a few times, especially after seeing moun10bike's collection posted in here) I'd be honored someone wanted to keep it. Better in a geocachers hands than stuck in a cache and having the possibility a muggle nabbing it or the cache gets destroyed somehow.

I live in BC and work as a truck driver

I do a nightly delivery to a location in Mount Vernon (exit 225).

I would like to know if there is anyone in the area that would like to trade geo coins.

I have 2 Canadian Geo Coins and would like to know if there is anyone down there that has 2 different geo coins that they would like to trade for the 2 I have.

If you do please email and maybe we could make arrangements to meet.

I am usually in Mt Vernon at about 10pm.

I could drive a little farther south if that would be convenient as well to anyone with a trade.

I also have 2 Garmin Rino 120's that I am willing to sell as well. I have a new Garmin 60C that I am using now.

I would like to get $350 for the Rinos (2)

Which cacher has the geocoin with the dolphins?  Is there any link for that geocoin?

That's a 2Dolphins geocoin. He is a cacher that used to work with me but just recently moved to your side of the country - Delaware. He has only released a handful of the coins and has no web site for them that I am aware of. The first of these coins was released when we were out on a hunt together back in December.

Here is a full picture of my coin:

2dolphinscoin.jpg

I have only put one of these coins in an actual cache. I want to put them in caches that are a milestone. That makes them pretty rare. I am however trading them with people who have geocoins. So, if you have a coin to trade, shoot me off an email (jeff@thelundstroms.com) and I will send you my address so we can swap!

2Dolphins

Edited by 2Dolphins

If the coin is to be coveted, then it seems fitting (though it saddens me to admit it) to place it in a challenging cache. If the coin is to be circulated, then it seems fitting to put it in any cache, so that more people will have access to it.

I guess I don't entirely see the point of geocoins if they aren't to be collected. Are they just mass-produced travel bugs then? I would think that making a TB out of something that has some meaning or identity to you, or to make a TB for which you give a goal, would make more sense than just using one of a few hundred tokens with no individual identity beyond their number.

Coin pressers beware, I do intend to hold onto one of any geocoin I come across, as memorabilia of my caching escapades. At least in the WA geocoin's case, the one I'll keep will be one I bought.

I note that no one seems to complain about keeping wooden geocoins, like the M10B and GeoNap ones I have. Would it be different if someone wrote a number on each of them? What makes those coins less special?

Here is a full picture of my coin:

2dolphinscoin.jpg

I have only put one of these coins in an actual cache. I want to put them in caches that are a milestone. That makes them pretty rare. I am however trading them with people who have geocoins. So, if you have a coin to trade, shoot me off an email (jeff@thelundstroms.com) and I will send you my address so we can swap!

2Dolphins

Where did you get your coin made? That's great.

that sure is a beautiful collection moun10bike has there!!!

i like collecting geocoins as well, but my collection is considerably smaller...

i have a silver 2004 usa geocoin, ca geocoin, greenman, and joy of geocaching coin..

looking forward to getting my washington coins and i think the other one i ordered was pensylvania, and any others i can get my hands on....

i have quite a few CA coins as i bought 20 of the second batch minted that we just received, but just keeping 1 for my collection.

if theres others that want to trade for a CA coin i'd be interested in hearing from you..

Chris

Edited by KF6JAX

I keep my Mount10Bike coin for the same reason I have had my grandmothers favorite lamp sitting on my desk since she passed in 1983. It is uniquely my grandmothers and was a one of a kind. It evokes memories of her every time I turn it on. When I pull out my box of signature items including Mount10Bikes coin these unique items remind me of particuliarly fond memories of caches and people I have visited. Mount10Bikes coin is a memory of traveling 1400 miles across the country and finding his Mount10Bike Maze Multicache at night and spending 5.5 hours after dark in an area I have never been to, completely unlike any thing I see in Kansas City and further meeting him the next morning for breakfast.

If I put it in a cache the next finder will only have the honor of finding it and non of my memories.

So any way that is why I keep these items.