Phone A Friend

So, does this happen to anyone else?

*cell phone rings*

ME: Hello?

Them: So if I were near a tree at XXX Geocache, would I look up or down?

Me: what?

Them: this cache, is it IN THE TREE or just NEAR THE TREE?

Me: Look down

*click*

So I guess the more geocachers you get to know, then them more likely it is.

anyone else?

Eric M (Turbo-S) of Team Honu

Honu.......are you going to give us your number HA!

Well, the area code is the same as your area code (217), the other numbers I will but in "pathagarus would be proud"

find it, then you can call us. Although, *most* of the calls are for Pathagarus....

I've never called someone who previously found it for a hint, but I have called my wife to read me the decrypted hint if I forgot to bring the sheet.

I was looking for a particularly difficult micro while on vacation and two local geocachers walked up while I was there. After about 20 minutes of searching, they started calling everybody who found it before. I was kind of surprised that they had the phone number of so many people (I have many local's e-mail addresses, but no phone #'s).

Maybe the practice is more prevelant in some areas than others? I've never received a call even though most people know my real name and my number is listed.

Edited by briansnat
I've never received a call even though most people know my real name and my number is listed.

I'll keep that in mind.

(2:00 AM)

"Brian, help i can't find...<click>... Brian?"

A few of the cachers around here have my cell phone number. It's the least I could do since some of my caches tend to be kinda evil. I do get calls on occasion and don't mind at all. Makes me feel important. :)

Oh yeah, I get the calls...

...gale force winds blowing in the background...

"Hey, Michelle... I'm out at XXXXX.

We've been here for a half hour and can't find the darn thing..."

"Step in any dog poop lately?"

"Dog poop?"

Actually, it was a better call than that (good enough that the three women I was caching that day said, "Well, shoot, we know who we're calling the next time we need a hint!), but I definitely get to be the "Geo Lifeline" quite often.

I have called a few people while out but most of the time it's been to have someone look up the cache page to see if it's been updated on a new cache that is clearly not w/i 500' of where it's supposed to be (zeroing out in the middle of a field is never a good sign)...

-=-

michelle

I've only been called once. My friend and her hubby went to find one of our caches and were having a bit of trouble. :)

K: It's NOT here! Bill and I have looked for an hour!

Me: Oh yes it is there. I checked it this morning to do maintenence.

K: Give me a hint!

Me: No

K: PLEASE!

Me: No, you never gave me hints on any of yours. B)

K: I read the hint on the cache page and I am telling you the cache is gone!

Me: No, it is NOT!

K: I am standing at the base of the tree mentioned in the clue, the weird looking half dead tree.

Me: Look down by your feet.

K: I all ready looked there!

Me: Look again!

K: Ok (sigh), hold on! (I wait while she looks)

K: Nope, not there!

Me: Did you look UNDER your feet?

K: No

Me: Look now please

K: *&$*(%&*(% I was STANDING ON IT!

Me: See? I told you it was there!

K: &*(&*($&*(&%! I HATE YOUR HIDES!

Me: I love you too! See ya later!

Me: Look again!

K: Ok (sigh), hold on! (I wait while she looks)

K: Nope, not there!

Me: Did you look UNDER your feet?

K: No

Me: Look now please

K: *&$*(%&*(% I was STANDING ON IT!

Me: See? I told you it was there!

K: &*(&*($&*(&%! I HATE YOUR HIDES!

Me: I love you too! See ya later!

LOL thats funny. the only timed i ever phoned any one while geocaching was to make sure my coords were right, they were. but i should have had them read me the hint too, cause i still couldnt find it! :)

aj

I never even thought to call someone for hints until someone I met asked me for my number and then started calling me 10 or more times a day. I've called a couple of times for hints, but none in over a year. I found that I was unsatisfied on the ones I had called for a hint so decided not to do it. I definitely find it more rewarding to find it myself.

--Marky

Mrs. Markwell: Hello?

Caller: Hi, this is {{obtuse cacher name}}

Mrs. Markwell: What?

Caller: This is {{obtuse cacher name}}, the Geocacher.

Mrs. Markwell: Oh, Hi. What's up?

Caller: Is Markwell there?

Mrs. Markwell: He's out caching. I think he's finding one of yours.

Caller: We're hunting XYZ Cache.

Mrs. Markwell: Yea?

Caller: We're standing in the middle of a bridge. There's no place to hide anything.

Mrs. Markwell: You're in the right spot.

Caller: Thanks, I think.

*Click*

Real Conversation.

Never gave this cacher my number.

One time, being the FTF of a multicache I phoned three times the cache owner while he went to search one of mine.

Firstly, in a stage he wrote N41º22 instead of N41º23 in the cache page, i had no sense finding an historic building in the seaport, but we went to visit the spot thinking was a surprise.

Then, we had to resolve a writer to have with the place of a waypoint, it was hard to discover, but it the same spot was an statue of a spanish writer, and we had to phone him again.

I've done it and had it to the caching buddies in the office. It helps that one of them is VERY enthusiastic, works part time and has done most of the caches nearest me so if I get really stuck i can ring them for help. If its office time I've sometimes got them to look up cache descriptions on the net if I've only got the co-ordinates for the cache or something.

you gave it out, your own fault...

Bronz

Amen...preach it.

A few of us who have the same cellular service around here have put each other on our free cell-to-cell plans, so we can call each other for help in and out of the field. I've made use of it a few times, so have some others.

Bret

So, does this happen to anyone else?

*cell phone rings*

ME: Hello?

Them: So if I were near a tree at XXX Geocache, would I look up or down?

Me: what?

Them: this cache, is it IN THE TREE or just NEAR THE TREE?

Me: Look down

*click*

So I guess the more geocachers you get to know, then them more likely it is.

anyone else?

Eric M (Turbo-S) of Team Honu

:( No one to talk to here at the ends of the earth.

Besides, who would want to talk to an oldfart?

Shirley~

Here in Georgia we have a cachers 911 hotline.

One cacher has a 800 number that connects throught to his cell phone. He then has the numbers to people all over the state and will call the correct person and get the needed info and call the cacher in help back.

I am the correspondent for Middle Georgia and I like this set-up because I dont like giving my cell number out to random people.

Edited by Amazingracer

I have had my share of calls from the wild. I've also called myself to cache owners or previous hiders in a moment of desperation, but nowadays I try to do it as little as possible. I'd like to have the same possibilities as those who don't happen to have anyone's number to call to. (I also use hider's spoiler pics and encrypted hints only when everything else has failed.)

I found it especially questionable when couple of hunters I know called the owner for a hint, got it, and took the FTF price. Ok, guess it was ok with the owner, after all he gave the hint, but I myself wouldn't have taken a price the hider of which told me where it was hidden. :unsure:

Cell Phone? I don't need no stinking Cell Phone !!! :unsure:

My wife and I make an odd team - she picks up on the written clues - and when she does't I do when I hear them (but not when I read them).

So I get us close - she gets to the right spot - and I end up finding them. I have found that I have a very strange tallent - I can spot things that are out of place very easily. I have not touched caches - told her right where to look and she can't see it. Was obvious to me. Is fun because I spot birds and animals she can't see at first either.

So the other day we were out and I got 5 for 5 - she - :D:) because I got them first, even when she 'KNEW' where they were. We make a good team - fun and good exercise which we both need.

So who needs the stinking cell phone?

does anyone know the website that you can pull up to locate caches with your cell phone/wireless web (ie its a text based site - that I believe connects to Geocaching.com - if anyone knows - Please email me @ colleen&mmode.com as I am now hitting the road -out of town -and can't find it - it was logged into my other cell phone which went into the drink when I did a header into a creek on what else - a caching expedition. Thanks

There is geocaching help occasionally on a local repeater (in the world of amateur radio). I've talked about places to park and puzzle solutions but never given or received exact clues to a cache. I suppose this is another good way to combine geocaching and ham radio.