Thinkin' Of Cachin'-in My Efforts.

;) This summer will make my mind up! Maybe you have advice? I have four pretty nice caches. My first cache was the only one in Crawford County until my second. There is now one other owner with a cache in the county. I expected low turnout in winter. But what I get, is the SAME set of cachers repeated with each additional cache. I have four. I know some of them come from more than an hour away. There do not seem to be resident cachers close-by.

Now, I'm not expecting a lot of love here, but my caches have now been a month unvisited in peak season. So, maybe I'll just be a "user" by Fall, and not a "provider."

Robespierre. ;)

If there aren't at least a few caches in the area, the odds of the activity growing in your area are further diminished. PLEASE consider leaving your good caches out there. Someone had to be first in the area. If it weren't for the Johnny Appleseed who hid 20 caches in the western half of my county, I might never have become involved myself. There was a cache at the end of my street when I discovered the site. That had a lot to do with getting me interested in trying out geocaching. On behalf of everyone else who followed the pathfinders who placed the first caches in ANY area, I thank you for your efforts.

Last fall I returned to North Dakota, to find that there were only 5 caches within 40 miles of where I live. I created about 10 of them in the area, and since then another 10 have been created in the last 4 months.

I would also like to see more caches that are accessible in the winter time. A lot of caches are, but there is no mention of that fact on the cache page.

The activity may be slow, but it will be even slower if you remove your caches! Sometimes all it takes is to get a few locals interested and then things take off. They place caches of their own and tell other people about caching, who then also join the sport. Things grow from there. There is a town in central Nebraska that has become a caching hotbed because a few cachers started making a large number of hides. Pretty high quality hides too! They got others interested and now that area is busier caching wise than the metropolitan areas of the state! It also has some imaginative caches because those early hiders have led by example.

The Wenatchee Valley in WA State is a great example.

I don't know the exact statistics, but here goes:

When I started two years ago, you could count the amount of caches in a 30mile or so radius on one hand. You could also count the amount of caches on one hand.

Somehow, in a pretty short while, it all caught on.

Now we have hundreds of caches in a 30 or so mile radius (not counting all the ones outside of that radius), and that's not counting many caches that have been archived over the years.

At the moment, we have at least 50 geocaching groups in the area, most of them fairly active. Several of them are nearing a thousand finds.

Now we get people from the Seattle area coming in fairly regularly, because we have enough caches, and some pretty interesting ones, to tempt them.

So buck up, little camper!

Similar story in the Antelope Valley, Calif. There were a handful of people placing caches in our area when we got interested. After we started leaving lots of caches around, others started following suit. Now we have over 100 caches within 10 miles of our house. Not that impressive compared to other areas, but you should have seen it a year ago!

Keep hiding them! It’s like voting. You can’t complain about it unless you participate in the process. If you can hit a critical mass you might see the number of cachers take off. When In Guam I hid the first 4 caches on the island in a hail-mary effort to see if there was other potential cachers on the island. My efforts weren’t a total success but I have no regrets because at least “I tried”.

okay, had to do a little research to even find exactly where Crawford County was (and I'm even in Ohio)

Fear not, I'm sure as the Columbus people clear out Cowtown, they'll start looking for other caches to find, and one day they'll find your caches...

We've mentioned on the COG forums about trying to bridge the areas between the main cities (to entice cachers to hit the areas not near one of the big cities), and the area around Mansfield and points west is one of the areas to bridge. There's a couple along I-71, the new one in Ashland, so eventually things will start picking up... it just takes time to catch hold, and even moreso in the between areas...

I've been trying to help fill in the area east of Cleveland between Cleveland and Youngstown -- I have a cache that's had a whole whopping 2 finds in six weeks. And my one in Warren -- excluding visits from the Cache Caravan to Youngstown, had had very few visits in about a year and a half.

Keep them out, and it wouldn't hurt to place more if you can find good spots...

Someday, we will get out there and find them... :lol:

[feeling guilty that I haven't found any of Robespierre's caches, must try and schedule a visit out Crawford county way (see if I can tie it into a Columbus run sometime, or Toledo...)]

It's the same way in my areas with only a half-dozen or so cachers around here, but I look at a city the same size a couple of hours away and they have lots of cachers. There it took a long time to build, then snowballed all of a sudden. The same will happen here eventually.

Plug your caches on regional forums, and see if there are any caching clubs in nearby cities.

Please leave them set! Not like it costs anything to leave them there and they don't eat much!

We have a few caches in our area that aren't visited much -- but they have the greatest views!

Keep the faith.

If you set them, they will come!

JegMag

I say leave the caches and place a few more. When someone learns about the sport, they will usually check for caches nearby. If they don't see many, they aren't likely to be as eager to start. And if your caches are quality caches, when new geocachers come along and hide their own, they'll tend to emulate what you've done, so you'll eventually have a lot of quality caches to choose from.

And maybe you'll eventually run into the problem we have in NJ. With so many caches to choose from, many fine caches here sit for months between finds.

Edited by briansnat
When someone learns about the sport, they will usually check for caches nearby. If they don't see many, they aren't likely to be as eager to start.

so true. When I first looked up my zip code and found out there was one located in our local park....well the rest is history. Im hooked :lol: so please keep them where they are for now and do your best to spread the fun to friends and family. They may look at you strange in the beginning but once they give it a try Im sure they'll enjoy the fun!

:lol: This summer will make my mind up! Maybe you have advice? I have four pretty nice caches. My first cache was the only one in Crawford County until my second. There is now one other owner with a cache in the county. I expected low turnout in winter. But what I get, is the SAME set of cachers repeated with each additional cache. I have four. I know some of them come from more than an hour away. There do not seem to be resident cachers close-by.

Now, I'm not expecting a lot of love here, but my caches have now been a month unvisited in peak season. So, maybe I'll just be a "user" by Fall, and not a "provider."

Robespierre. :lol:

I live in a fairly rural part of a rural state. When I started there was 1 cache 15 miles from my house, and about 6 that were 40 miles, and the rest were over 50 miles from my house. After I found 20 I was ready to hide some but I actually didn't get to hide any til I'd found 50.

I hid caches knowing that there weren't geocachers here. You should probably figure that if there aren't many geocaches in an area, there aren't many geocachers (Of course, assuming is bad - but I was fairly certain there weren't any active geocachers).

I hid my geocaches so that when somebody found out about geocaching and put their zipcode in the website - they'd have more than 1 cache within 15 miles. Or - more importantly - they wouldn't have to drive 50 miles to try this out. I have several in my home county - and quite a few in neighboring counties so that there are caches there for people to find. I know that more than a few first time geocachers have found one of mine as their first.

I have caches that go months without being found, aside from that core group of hardcore cachers that don't mind driving 1.5 hours to a cache. I expect this when I hide caches. I also now that eventually new people in the area will take up the sport and I hope that my caches will provide enjoyment for them and a reference of what's cool when they want to hide caches.

Leave em out, hide some more - and be patient :lol:

southdeltan

Oh yea - one other thing I forgot.

I've seen more than a few people offer the suggestions for recruiting others.

I think a newspaper story would be a great idea.

I also think a good way to get some more geocachers in the area is to tell your friends and family. Some will think you're wierd - but they probably do anyway :lol: Word of mouth is a great way to go.

southdeltan

When I did my first cache, I was living in Mt Pleasant, MI (zip 48858) and there were only 3 caches available within 25 miles, so I kind of let it go. When I moved to Paw Paw, MI (49079) last October I got back into it and now there are tons of them in the Mt Pleasant area - it just takes a little time sometimes for it to catch on. I wish I had placed some caches in Mt Pleasant to "prime the pump", now all the good spots there are taken (for my friends). I bet if you give it a year or so, you will see lots more caches show up. I'd try to get more of your friends involved and make a contest out of who can set up the best cache. Oh well, just my $0.02.

Robespierre,

I did one of your first a while back and was thrilled. I even did a LocalHikes.com report on it... However, I haven't been that far North of Columbus since. If you have any chance, get more people involved yourself. I just learned that a tree of my cache inductees has spawned 5 new cachers in Zanesville and Philo, OH. As more people get introduced, more place and disappear and more place and stay. It makes it viable to get the noobs hooked.

Don't pull back. Your caches are great. Just give it some time to mature and come down to Cache Columbus. We'll make your head spin funny directions...

Another thing you can do is print a couple of copies of the Tri-Fold Pamphlet about Geo-Cacheing available here on GC and leave them at the local sporting goods store that sells GPS's and the sporting goods counter of WalMart. Explain to the clerk what it is and they will be happy to interest their customers in a reason to buy a GPS.

KyHilltopper

Clint

I had this very same conversation with Mopar this morning. He said when he first found the gc.com site he didn't go looking because the closest one away was 100 miles. Where as Cache Ninja went out and placed a bunch of caches. He told Mopar "if you don't place some, there will never be any". The way Mopar put it Cache Ninja got the ball rolling, where as Mopar had dropped it. Since then Mopar picked the ball back up and the game went on, good thing! That was AUG/Sept of 2000 and there were only a handful of caches in the country. Look at it now!

Edited by Planet

Personally, I treasure the caches that don't see a lot of traffic. It's like traveling out of the way places. Not everyone knows about it.

Plus, these out of the way caches are more likely to stay a quality cache so you're pretty certain you're visiting one that's not filled with junk.

I doesn't hurt a thing to leave them out, but it could take away the joy of someone who would have hunted it if you remove it.

B):) You have all been encouraging, thanks a lot. Did 3 new caches this a.m., and am in contact with the paper about an article - - incidentally, did you know that at the bottom of the Main Page there's a link to the many articles that have been done - I will refer my paper to it, and take the reporter cachin'. Have two more caches almost ready, got a family involved this last week.....goin' on... B):)
I was delighted to see Robespierre's new cache submissions in my review queue today, and they have been listed as Ohio's newest geocaches. Thanks for hiding them!!!

Robespierre-

You should post something about them in the COG Forums' New Caches Area. This usually sparks an interest in the zealous cachers of Central Ohio. I'd be up for a trek to Mid-Northern Ohio for a day in Crawford County and surrounding sites. I'm sure a vanload would take me up on it.

I also wanted to note that you could probably get the Nature Center where your Treasure is. I'm assuming that from your container you got explicit permission and they'd be up for introducing the world at large to our "Adventure Sport".

It would also get us off of the Topic of Hamster Caches and Trailer Parks...

No thanks to someone who just posted here and has yet to comment on our site...

well if Bjorn74 gets a caravan to come up from the south, I'll head down from the northeast, too...

it's an area I mean to get to someday, and just haven't yet, nothing against the caches, it's just not an area i'm normally in...

But glad to see you're still putting them out, it will be a good day when we finally get there to find them all.... :)

:ph34r: Nooooo! Don't cache in your efforts. I was so excited that my hometown area has caches to find on my upcoming trip. Robespierre you are a true pioneer for geocaching and a great emissary. Last night I emailed the French revolutionary's namesake and he immediately replied back with some great info. I know it's gotta be frustrating that you're one of the few in the area, but I promise more will come. We have to realize that we're in the initial stages of the hobby and more will come. It's so unlike my other hobbies that I took up after the craze had died down.

I'll be in town around the 5th or so to find some of your hides. I'll bring homies to share!

Edited by DCandBax
I have four pretty nice caches.  My first cache was the only one in Crawford County until my second.  There is now one other owner with a cache in the county.  I expected low turnout in winter.  But what I get, is the SAME set of cachers repeated with each additional cache.  I have four.  I know some of them come from more than an hour away.  There do not seem to be resident cachers close-by.

Now, I'm not expecting a lot of love here, but my caches have now been a month unvisited in peak season.  So, maybe I'll just be a "user" by Fall, and not a "provider."

It is not unusual for a cache to sit idle once "the regulars" have visited it; it is just unfortunate that there appear to be so few "regulars" in your area.

As others have suggested, you might try introducing a few relatives, friends, or acquaintances to the game ... but I also agree that it is time to consider archiving a cache once visits to it taper off.

Edited by BassoonPilot

Same situation here (another rural county in Ohio),as there are only 8 caches in the county, and I've hidden 4 of them. I have more planned, and also plan to contact a reporter from a local paper. I know they'll do an piece on geocaching, because they're always looking for material.

KEEP THOSE CACHES IN PLACE!