Free Hiking Staff

a clay aiken concert????? ouch, that's gotta hurt. are you well yet?

I don't I will ever be right again!!(not that I was all right to begin with ;) ).

Frankly, I would rather do nude log rolls all day in a field of poison oak and stinging nettles than endure that pain again!

Your wife is lucky to have you, and you can tell her I said so. ;)

And I do think you deserve a staff for being so accommodating by giving up two days of caching for her.

GPSKitty

Some might argue that by going to the concert and not standing up for your own cache time that you are indeed in need of a 'staff'. ;)

I don't I will ever be right again!!(not that I was all right to begin with ;) ).

Frankly, I would rather do nude log rolls all day in a field of poison oak and stinging nettles than endure that pain again!

Your wife is lucky to have you, and you can tell her I said so. :D

And I do think you deserve a staff for being so accommodating by giving up two days of caching for her.

GPSKitty

Some might argue that by going to the concert and not standing up for your own cache time that you are indeed in need of a 'staff'. ;)

You havn't seen my wife when it comes to Clay Aiken. Her and her merry band of twits (or Claymates as they like to be called) can make a man do about anything. She even made me tap into my new Garmin 60c fund. I ended up shelling out 50 bucks to her for a shirt, a program, and a keychain.

I swear it was worse than the Jedi mind trick "These are not the droids we are looking for" But it was more like "You will give up 2 days of caching, and you will buy me Clay crap"

As far as I know, no anal probes were used (But then again we are talking about a Clay Aiken concert, so anything is possible!! ;) )

I don't I will ever be right again!!(not that I was all right to begin with :D ).

GPSKitty

You havn't seen my wife when it comes to Clay Aiken. Her and her merry band of twits (or Claymates as they like to be called) can make a man do about anything. She even made me tap into my new Garmin 60c fund. I ended up shelling out 50 bucks to her for a shirt, a program, and a keychain.

I swear it was worse than the Jedi mind trick "These are not the droids we are looking for" But it was more like "You will give up 2 days of caching, and you will buy me Clay crap"

As far as I know, no anal probes were used (But then again we are talking about a Clay Aiken concert, so anything is possible!! ;) )

I was only teasing. Believe me I understand. I once went to a Madonna concert AND a Janet Jackson concert in the same summer because current 'GF' wanted to go. Looking back I can't imagine why. Come to think of it I am pretty sure she was drugging me throughout the relationship. Either that or some form of voodoo hocus pocus. I am feeling much better now. ;)

I don't I will ever be right again!!(not that I was all right to begin with :D ).

GPSKitty

I was only teasing. Believe me I understand. I once went to a Madonna concert AND a Janet Jackson concert in the same summer because current 'GF' wanted to go. Looking back I can't imagine why. Come to think of it I am pretty sure she was drugging me throughout the relationship. Either that or some form of voodoo hocus pocus. I am feeling much better now. ;)

But we are talking Clay Aiken!!! That makes seeing Janet Jackson and Madonna seem like seeing Elvis on stage! :D

Come to think of it I am pretty sure she was drugging me throughout the relationship.  Either that or some form of voodoo hocus pocus.  I am feeling much better now.  ;)

Ahhh, the power of a woman.

GPSKitty

Ooopps, we're veering off topic.

Dearest Mr El Diablo...I noticed in another thread that you too, are a cat owner. I feel a bonding moment coming on. ;) I think your staff should go to a cat owner. Just my unbiased opinion.

Your staffs sure are purrrrty.

PS: If you give me your phone # I'll call and talk to your wife and plead your case for a geocaching dog. That's quite a sacrifice, if you've noticed my screen name. But I'd gladly do it for you.

No baloney!

Have been involved in the Geocaching for a short time, though 47 years old and enjoy hiking and discovering new places. A stick is a definite 'must' on my wish list and hoping to benefit from its use. From a budget standpoint, most of my take-home goes to support my three children while enjoying a few inexpensive hobbies, including bugling at funerals (BAA) and Sons of the American Revolution.

Let the contest continue!

Crying out loud, how the heck can I compete at all ? None of my relatives are sick, my grandparents have already passed away. This means I can't get them a staff and steal it while they sleep.

My pets are healthy, except for when I beat them. That, paired with me being mean to my wife and son rules out the "nice guy" plea.

I'm not stationed over seas, visiting nomadic sheep-eaters, leading scout troops, or setting up shelters for ugly wet cats, banished smurfs, or vain geckos.

My legs are good enough to carry me to all the micro-caches I'm finding lately, and, when I do stray into the woods, theres usually a perfectly good stick lying around to pick up.

My avatar would probably suck on a staff, and the most use I'd put it to would probably be poking my wifes kid sister with it.

I'm no good at begging, except for se.., uh, SEXONDS at the dinner table, yea thats it.

My forum posts are rude, sarcastic, nonsensical, and rambling. In short, I guess I'll give up and go mug some orphans and senior citizens.

Are you threatening me?

cornholio.jpg

This gets harder and harder. I wish I could give everyone a staff! ;)

El Diablo

That's a GREAT idea! Everyone who posts to this thread gets a free staff! Youre gonna be a busy man El Devil! ;);)

I'll throw my hat in the ring though I have nothing witty to say. BTW, How's your niece doing these day's Devil?? I hope things are good. :D

Edited by Spzzmoose

My Brother and i just placed our first hide on Saturday the 27th, the same day that this contest started. As we were returning, all aglow with our success, i was using a walking stick that i had found. i began to tell my brother about a quote i had heard about how many wonderful journeys had started with the finding of a good walking stick. i am a firm believer that somehow in some inexplicable way, a walking stick can enhance the pleasure of a walk or hike. When i was little, i would go camping with my parents and on hikes i would inevitably find a walking stick that i loved. When the camping was over i usually had a small collection of the best that i had found and i would want to take them home. My parents in parental practicality invariably refused my requests, not wanting to try to fit a dirty stick in amongst the tightly packed paraphenalia. i understand their objections but i don't think they quite understood just how important those dirty sticks were to me. Now i am grown and married. The first time i went camping with my wife, i found a wonderful stick. i explained to her as best as i could why i needed to keep the stick. How it would be healing for me, besides the value of the stick itself. She let me keep it. i kept it in my gargage at my old house, and it didn't take much room in the moving van when we moved 12 hours west. Now it sits in the corner outside of our front door. i would love a new walking stick. i would value it. It is a treasure worth having. If you don't give me one, i'll find another, but i would like one. THE END

hell i probably don't stand a chance anyway as i live accross the pond in england.

i suffer from chronic fatigue and use the sport to get some exercise. it gives me something to focus on to keep going. a staff would assist without looking too wierd. i'm only 34 so have resisted buying a walking stick. could tell you a long sob story about how i got this condition butwho wants to read about my problems, take it as read that there is such a story.

have fun looking through all the posts here from all of us too cheap to go and buy something! :lol:

If you don't pick us we'll appear on your bed while you're sleeping and just quietly watch you sleep.....

I'd love to leave one as a FTF prize - just to further your spirit of giving. I'd love to read the post for that find!

(Then we can huntz them down and take the precious back......)

I KNOW that I reeeeeeeally deserve one. I'll have to think about it though. I'm not good at tooting my own horn.

In the meantime, I think you should consider giving 9key another one. He got $150 for the last one, in the silent auction, at the Texas Challenge 2004. The money went to cover costs for the event.

Another TEAM deserves one too, for their efforts, money, and time organizing Southeast Texas and much of the rest of the state into the big happy geocaching family that it is today. I'll email the name. They are very low profile.

Sn :lol::lol: gans

If you don't pick us we'll appear on your bed while you're sleeping and just quietly watch you sleep.....

I'd love to leave one as a FTF prize - just to further your spirit of giving. I'd love to read the post for that find!

(Then we can huntz them down and take the precious back......)

LMAO !!!! YES !!! And the "best use of an alter ego" award goes to Kealia !

Thank you, that one made my morning.

Mom uses a hiking staff when hiking to help her out and I know that she would cherish one of yours. Sure, she has a nice staff that she found somewhere, but if she had an El-Diablo staff, she would cherish it so much. Especially if she knew that what I wrote led to it. I would love to think that in some small way I could give back to my Mom the things that she gave to me.  :D

That's so sweet! :(

She didn't even have to talk about freaky cat issues either.

undefined

She is sweet (usually)

Thanks for the nomination Carleen. I finally found time to look at the thread after logging all my caches from my Sandhill Crane watching/caching excursion. First paperless caching attempt. Pocket PC only froze up once but I didn't lose the data.

Car only got stuck once and a trucker pulled me out.

Caching keeps you young. And I won't be 70 until mid July.

NevaLP, AKA CarleenP's MOm

1. Because I just got married on Saturday, & it would make a GREAT wedding gift.

2. Because I am retiring from my firefighting career after 25 years on April 30th 2004, and it would make a GREAT retirement gift!

3. Because I HATE running into spiderwebs during a cache hunt, and it would be a GREAT web-clearing tool!

4. Because you're willing to part with one, and I'm willing to receive it!

:(

"Bassmedic"

Just down the road from where I live is a hospice. I'm guessing that you have the same thing in the States so I won't elaborate on what they are or who stays there other than to say it takes in those in their twilight years.

A friend of mine, who is a very keen fisherman, told me that he goes in on a regular basis to teach residents how to dress hooks for fly fishing. I remember thinking that it would be wonderful to be able to contribute something in that way to make their lives a bit more interesting than watching daytime television each day.

I don't deserve a hiking staff and to be honest I don't particularly need one (though they are beautiful pieces of kit). However, what I would like is an understanding of how you make them so that I could pass it on to the folks in the hospice. I have no idea if this would be of interest or practical. Certainly they would be most unlikely to be using staffs for 5/5 caches.... but then they are never going to be out flyfishing either!

Just down the road from where I live is a hospice. I'm guessing that you have the same thing in the States so I won't elaborate on what they are or who stays there other than to say it takes in those in their twilight years.

A friend of mine, who is a very keen fisherman, told me that he goes in on a regular basis to teach residents how to dress hooks for fly fishing. I remember thinking that it would be wonderful to be able to contribute something in that way to make their lives a bit more interesting than watching daytime television each day.

I don't deserve a hiking staff and to be honest I don't particularly need one (though they are beautiful pieces of kit). However, what I would like is an understanding of how you make them so that I could pass it on to the folks in the hospice. I have no idea if this would be of interest or practical. Certainly they would be most unlikely to be using staffs for 5/5 caches.... but then they are never going to be out flyfishing either!

I don't mind sharing my knowlege with anyone, and have done so in the past with those who have the burning desire to make their own.

I'm not sure it's practical for what you wish to do, but I admire you for the thought. If you would like you can contact me and we'll work on it together. Mabe we can come up with an easy version.

El Diablo

Many thanks for your kind offer. Perhaps the best approach would be to construct the staffs first and get the old folks involved in the decorations. Do you think this would be viable?

I will take you up on your offer a drop you an email privately. Thanks again.

Aisledog

Cats? Huh!

Cats look at people and think, "I lie around here all day and all I have to do is eat and sleep and this person comes by and feeds me... I must be some kind of god!"

Where as,

Dogs look at people and think, "I lie around here all day and all I have to do is eat and sleep and this person comes by and feeds me... He must be some kind of god!"

Cats are OK if they are properly cooked but gimme a dog any day.....

I guess that means I am, for sure, not gonna get a stick thing then..... :(

D,

I think what would be cool is if you created a walking stick that in some way could hold a logbook. Then give it away with the intent that geocachers have to pass it on the next cacher they run into in the field. Each cacher would enter their name, date of when they got it and their city/state. That way the stick can be shared by folks. It could be the ultimate "travel" bug :D

D,

I think what would be cool is if you created a walking stick that in some way could hold a logbook. Then give it away with the intent that geocachers have to pass it on the next cacher they run into in the field. Each cacher would enter their name, date of when they got it and their city/state. That way the stick can be shared by folks. It could be the ultimate "travel" bug :D

That is a very cool idea! :P I'll give it some thought.

Anymore submissions before I make a decision?

El Diablo

D,

I think what would be cool is if you created a walking stick that in some way could hold a logbook.  Then give it away with the intent that geocachers have to pass it on the next cacher they run into in the field.  Each cacher would enter their name, date of when they got it and their city/state.  That way the stick can be shared by folks.  It could be the ultimate "travel" bug  :D

That is a very cool idea! :P I'll give it some thought.

Anymore submissions before I make a decision?

El Diablo

I thought for sure this item would be closed by now with the final post saying CarleenP's mom had a nice Hiking Stick on its way to her. :D

I would like to be the recipient of your hiking staff, not for me, but for my husband, who is currently deployed in the Persian Gulf. We've been married 18 years, and during that time, he's probably been away from home half of it.

He's been out to sea since January of this year. He's been in the Navy for almost 20 years and is retiring this July. They should be sending him back home before then, hopefully, so he can get back to caching other places besides Malta and Bahrain which had maybe three caches total! (check out his profile at Cacheola, he uses that one when the kids and I are not with him).

On the geocaching front, let me tell you a little about our family, Cacheola Crew.

We started Geocaching in October of 2002. My boys and I actually found our first cache without a GPS while my husband was out at sea. But when he got home, he was into it immediately and we've been caching slowly but surely ever since. We are all involved in scouting and like to do things outdoors (camping, hiking, rapelling).

In April of 2003, we sponsored the first Geocaching Hampton Roads CITO event. In July of 2003, we started a yahoo group for cachers of Hampton Roads and had our first event cache in September of 2003. There are now almost 90 members in the group, and the group is planning a second CITO event. Our family has attended many geocaching events, in other areas, and always enjoy meeting other cachers. Feel free to check out our profile, glance at our photos and get to know our family.

Anyhow, I can't think of a better retirement gift for "Cacheola" than one of your hiking staffs. He suffers from a torn meniscus and we usually just pick up a suitable stick off the ground when caching. He would be very surprised and happy to get one. (crossing my fingers that he doesn't read this first!) What better symbol of being "retired" than a hiking staff?! I feel he truly deserves it.

But, the main reason I ask to be considered is this: I am a stay-at-home mom, so usually when I get him a gift, it just comes out of HIS money anyhow, and it isn't really a gift. But if I could somehow be the one chosen to receive the hiking staff, it would be a true gift for him from me. One he didn't ultimately have to pay for himself! I would love to be able to give him back something after all he's given to us over the years.

Sincerely,

Cacheola Crew Mom

81505_300.jpg

Edited for spelling, and to make sure I said STAFF and not STICK :D

After reading all the replies, I've come to a decision. I think the above entry speaks for it's self.

She could have turned this around the other way and told why she deserved it. Instead she chose to nominate someone she loved.

Quote by Carleen

My Mother, Nevalp. Mom is 70 years old. She discovered caching, well... through me. The most important thing is that she loves it as much, if not more, than me (and you know I love it alot). She is the one who listened to me when I read that newspaper article about caching and babbled about how I just had to have a GPS as a birthday or Christmas present to try out this thing called geocaching. She is the one who bought that GPS and urged me on. She is the one who supports my caching efforts. She is active in the caching community and loves every minute of it along with me. She will likely always have more cache finds than me, more quality experiences than me, and better qualities than me. That is what Moms are for! I can only hope to live up to her experiences and wisdom. Mom taught me from a young age to be an independent outdoors type of person, to respect the enviroment, and to seek out new things. Her teachings were of the type that led me to be a person who would find and love geocaching and then share it with her. Now she gets to travel with my father, who also caches under her account, and share this wonderful RASH with me. Mom uses a hiking staff when hiking to help her out and I know that she would cherish one of yours. Sure, she has a nice staff that she found somewhere, but if she had an El-Diablo staff, she would cherish it so much. Especially if she knew that what I wrote led to it. I would love to think that in some small way I could give back to my Mom the things that she gave to me. 

Another example of someone who could have asked for a staff herself, but chose to make a plea for someone they loved.

These two entries are very touching. I've thought long and hard and have decided to give the staff to.....

Both! :D

Steve

Well that's close, but I can't do that. So I've decided to give the staff or I should say staffs to...

Cacheola and also one to Cacheola Crew Mom

Also one to Carleen's mom Nevalp and one to Carleenp as well.

You both thought it would be better to give than receive and I think you should be rewarded for such unselfish thoughts.

Congratulations to you and yours.

El Diablo

Both! :D

Steve

Well that's close, but I can't do that. So I've decided to give the staff or I should say staffs to...

Cacheola and also one to Cacheola Crew Mom

Also one to Carleen's mom Nevalp and one to Carleenp as well.

You both thought it would be better to give than receive and I think you should be rewarded for such unselfish thoughts.

El Diablo

WHAT!!! I suffered through Clay Aiken for nothing? Oh the humanity!!!!! Congrats to all the winners, maybe next time will be my time!!

WHOA!! I don't know what to say. That is very generous of you!

Thank you soooo much! I am so excited, cause he hasn't been able to access the web lately (just email) and so, he hasn't seen this thread. It will hopefully be a true surprise when he gets home.

Although, maybe I should take all those nice things I said about Cacheola back cause he emailed me yesterday and said he got a big tattoo of a "mutant paisley" while in a foreign port. Took me until today to figure out it was an April Fool's Joke GRRRR!! :D

There were so many other great reasons and wonderful posts, it must have been very hard to decide. Thank you again for allowing me the opportunity to do something nice for him all on my own!! And one for me too!! I am stunned!

And one for Carleen's MOM, too!!! (I would have felt terrible if I caused her not to get one!) And Carleen gets one too!! Yippeee!!! What could be better??!!

Cacheola Crew Mom

So I've decided to give the staff or I should say staffs to...

No, you should say staves (more than one wooden staff)...the plural form "staffs" means multiple groups of workers/employees.

Can I still get one for good grammar? ;)

Good on you and good on them for selflessness and good on the rest of us for trying.

D,

I think what would be cool is if you created a walking stick that in some way could hold a logbook.  Then give it away with the intent that geocachers have to pass it on the next cacher they run into in the field.  Each cacher would enter their name, date of when they got it and their city/state.  That way the stick can be shared by folks.  It could be the ultimate "travel" bug  ;)

Actually, this is a really cool idea! I'd be willing to "sponsor" some of the cost for this! Maybe we could even get Groundspeak to "donate" a TB to attach to it (the number could be engraved on the staff in case the tag was lost)! Then it could be logged and tracked as well!

It would be awesome to see where it went!

Steve

EDIT: I can't spell

Edited by Team JASS

This is a lesson in the course "Do not write like these, you won't get the stick anyway!":

I don't need it. I don't want it really. I just want to write yet an annoying letter in the forum. Hike? Hmprf, I use the car. Drive-in-caches are the best, and by the way, why use a stick in Sweden? We have just one deadly animal and that is one snake. And with my ugly appearence will he die when he looks at me, so it is not really a big problem. It would cost you a lot of money to send it to Sweden, and when it finally reach me it will be broke. Why I know that? I used to work one month at the Swedish Postal Service, and everything that are labelled "Handle with care" did we stamp on, and drop from the second floor straight down to the concrete floor. I don't want a stick, so why would I want to have a broken stick!?

I'm afraid that I will kill innocent flowers, trees, cats, elderly people with blue hair and butterflys, if I had a stick. The reason? DNF makes me really angry, and why give me something that I can use as a murderweapon? I'm not a nice guy, it just looks like that. In fact, if you let the FBI do a profile on me, you would most probably run into a safe bunker and hide there for the rest of the life. Perhaps my son would like to have a hiking staff, it would be perfect as a baseball bat? So there is no reason why you should give one to me.

But if you insists of sending one to me, then I might have to face with it. As long as you don't send it thru Swedish Postal Service, because if my former friends at the post office see my name on the tag, they will not just break it into two pieces, they will do things that I can't mention here.

Okay, lession no 1 is over. The subject on the lesson tomorrow is: "Why you should hide an ammobox near a residential area where your ex-girlfriend are living, just to p-ss her off"

;)

Yeah, Congrats Cacheola Crew! As a member of the Yahoo group she started and friend through geocaching, I can say that the Crew really does deserve it! They have brought geocaching to a new level in Hampton Roads. I can even add another story to show what a kind soul she has. Members of my team, my niece and her family, were devasted by Hurricane Isabel. They lost their house due to flooding. It has now been torn down and is currently being rebuilt. But at the time of the immediate loss, Cacheola Crew Mom secretly organized a special cache and collected gift cards from fellow Hampton Roads Cachers and members of our Yahoo group. They mailed them to her and she put them in ammo box and she created a faux cache page that only I saw. Determined to be the first to find due to the caches namesake, as she named it Isabel's Fury, my team went in search of it. I was aware of what it was but my niece and her young boys (ages 13 and 9) were not. They found it in a tree that lay victim to Isabel. When my niece found it stashed with a very touching note and gift cards she was so touched she was speechless as she tried to hide the tears from her kids. I have to say this is the first time I have ever cried after finding the cache. She decided to leave the cache as an active cache as a dedication to my team. Please visit Isabel's Fury to see this cache. The Hampton Roads Cachers were so generous...The Crew's Mom collected over $400 in gift cards! Wow! I will never be able to express my gratitude enough to Cacheola Crew and my fellow Hampton Roads Geocachers. We never thought geocaching would turn into what it has for us. It is much more than just a hobby or a sport. I wish I had seen this thread sooner. ..But thanks Diablo! Cacheola Crew is definitely deserving! I am also glad that Carleen and her mom are getting one too! Diablo, even the devil in you has a kind soul!

Johnnie Stalkers and also one to Johnnie Stalkers

Also one to Johnnie Stalker's mom Joannie Stalker and one to Johnnie Stalker as well.

You thought it would be better to receive than give and I think you should be rewarded for such selfish thoughts.

El Diablo

Wow! That is so generous. You rock! Thanks! ;)

Johnnie Stalkers and also one to Johnnie Stalkers

Also one to Johnnie Stalker's mom Joannie Stalker and one to Johnnie Stalker as well.

You thought it would be better to receive than give and I think you should be rewarded for such selfish thoughts.

El Diablo

Wow! That is so generous. You rock! Thanks! ;)

Thanks man, you made my day!