Those Nifty "official" Cache Labels

PM_Thumper

So far, my count of found caches is in the high teens, but I've only found one that was labeled with one of the "official" stickers you order from Groundspeak. I'm planning to put one on my first hidden cache (especially since I've already ordered some). I figure that it makes the cache look classier and makes it less likely that someone who finds it accidently will think its trash or a practical joke.

But I'm curious: How many of you experienced cachers use those?

I haven't used the stickers on the few caches I've put out, and I've only seen them on one that I've found so far. I've made my own stencils so I can spraypaint information on the outside of my caches.

I think the stickers would be pretty nifty, but I can't justify the cost once you figure in the shipping charges.

I have ordered a few items from GeoCache including the stickers. It really dresses up an ammo can. Two of my Cache finds have also used them. I had no problem making them stick to ammo cans once I cleaned them well. It is nice to see on the outside and MIGHT, HOPEFULLY get a GeoThief to leave the cache there.

Never used them, but have seen many caches that do use them.

I think its a good idea as it makes the cache look more official. But I just go with writing the info onto the container. Yeah it doesn't look as good, but hey, I'm cheap and can't afford the many splendors of life :ph34r:

I have lost count.

TWO!

Or is it more? :ph34r:

Anyway, yes, I use the all of the time. I had a big order at Groundspeak -- shared shipping costs with a friend -- and threw in a bunch of stickers. Unfortunately I have now either used all of them up (either on caches or via giving them away) and now have none. So ... for my next cache (I hope in a month or so) ... I will either have to bite the bullet and get more stickers or do without.

It would be nice if Groundspeak offered low-rate shipping for the small flat items. Just a padded envelope for stickers and travelbugs shipped via first class mail. It shouldn't cost that much.

I do think that that the stickers make the cache look more official. The last thing I want the authorities to do is to get in a panic state and start banning caches around here.

Edited by RPW

There is some merit to the theory that the sticker makes the cache look official and less problematic in the eyes of a land manager. I know of four land managers in my "geocaching territory" that REQUIRE the use of an official geocache sticker as one of the conditions to issue a permit. The PA State Parks and PA State Forests are nice enough to supply the stickers to the hider for free!

There is some merit to the theory that the sticker makes the cache look official and less problematic in the eyes of a land manager. I know of four land managers in my "geocaching territory" that REQUIRE the use of an official geocache sticker as one of the conditions to issue a permit. The PA State Parks and PA State Forests are nice enough to supply the stickers to the hider for free!

So, in other words, they only allow caches that are listed on gc.com? No private label caches or those listed on another site?

This seems like as good a place as any to bring this up again.

Many companies use custom made packing tape (clear with the company logo on it). I've considered ordering some custom tape with some sort of "Official Geocache" info on it. Usually the images are spaced about an inch or two apart. You could pull just one image for a micro, or a whole strip for a larger container.

Seems like an inexpensive alternative.

This is a good opportunity to remind everyone of the Geocaching Logo Usage and Trademarks Guideline Page, especially for newcomers here in the "Getting Started" forum. If you want to use a cache container label that includes a Groundspeak Geocaching logo, please be mindful of the usage restrictions. You can use the logo on up to 25 units for personal non-commercial use. Above that, you need to check with Groundspeak by sending an e-mail to logo at Groundspeak dot com. Permission will likely be granted for personal use items, provided you follow the guidelines (for example, do not alter the logo in any way). And, if you created your own cache stickers with a Groundspeak Geocaching Logo and planned to sell them to other geocachers in your area, please be aware of the commercial use guidelines and obtain permission. Thanks!

My wife and I have separate accounts and our own approaches to hiding caches. But we both use the geocaching.com stickers on our ammo cans. As others have said, they really dress up the container.

We got some of the smaller ones last time we ordered stuff from Groundspeak. They don't fit quite as well on the style of film canisters I prefer to use. But the labels do make them look better and less like random trash.

Out of 50 found caches I've never seen anything official. We like to hide tupperware around here. I'm addicted to geocaching now and I want to support Groundspeak. This message board and Geocaching.com are wonderful sites that are well maintained. By purchasing from Groundspeak you help support these sites. I've purchased official stickers, logbooks, pencils, and patches. When I hide my first ammo box it's going to be full of goodies. So spend a few $$ to help support a hobby that we all love.

I've seen one cache that used the sticker and it did look a lot more profesional then writting with magic marker or sharpie.

The down side to the official ones is that they don't hold up well to being scratched with rock cover.

I'm leaning toward laser printed weatherproof package lables covered with clear coat paint.

I'm getting ready to put together my first two caches and I just ordered two of the stickers and two of the mini notebooks.

I two things:

1) It makes it look more official and just gives it a better feel if a none cacher finds it. It could also make a non cacher inclined to get involved.

2) Groundspeak gets their cut from it and helps support our hobby

I bought a package of the laser label material for experimenting, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

One thing I'm going to try is, after printing out a label, coloring the white part with some kind of watercolor to tone it down. It really only needs to be read from arm's length so the contrast doesn't have to be great.

I've got labeling regular sized caches down. Now, I'm looking at a good home-made way to mark micros.