Any Backpack Recommendations?

Snideswipe

So I've been using this pathetic little mini backpack that seemed like a logical choice in the beginning... all of my stuff fit in it and I didn't feel as though I had a rhinocerous strapped to my back. Now I'm getting ready to find a nice, rugged daypack that will hold more stuff and stand up to getting snagged by trees or pointy rocks (as well as small bear attacks) as I geocache.

I've only ever had cheap-o backpacks from discount stores to lug books around. I don't know the least bit about better packs out there. I do know a few features that would be handy to have: mesh or ventilated straps, or at least straps that are cushioned and comfy, a waist strap to cinch it in to my body, several compartments to keep me organized, some sort of frame so it won't slouch while I'm digging through it and (very important part here) a small monkey to assist me with my swag trades and log book routine.

Any personal favorites out there? Something the right combination of price and durability would be great... I don't want to put down more than $75.00 (preferably $50.00) or under. Names that come to mind are North Face, Patagonia, Kelty etc.

Gracias! :huh:

(Edited to add the frame part... which would be nice, but it's not a 100% requirement.)

Edited by Snideswipe

You may also want to consider a camelbak, and have up to 100 oz of water, as well as your goodies.

I use 3 levels of equipment:

(1) Stealth or urban caching - coat pockets

(2) Urban parks, other "maintained" areas - short trips - FatBoy slung from my shoulder

(3) Longer trips, more backwoods, high heat, whatever - CamelBak Peak Bagger. It is about the largest civilian CamelBak you can get.

I've been using the Mountainsmith Guide. It is hydration system compatible. It came with its own 1 liter Platypus hydration system but I added a larger one. It also has an internal organizing panel that holds pens, PDA, extra batteries, a small Mag-lite and other small items and a separate internal pocket for a CD or MP3 player. An internal clip for my car keys is another nice feature, but my favorite features are the side mesh pockets that have room for my GPS and digital camera and an ample mesh panel on the back that can hold a wet raincoat, or other bulky items (I carry a small shovel and mattock there when I'm doing trail work) and is great for CITO. Who wants to put someone else's nasty beer cans inside their pack? It holds over 2,200 ci (compared to the Camelbak M.U.L.E.'s 423 ci and the Hawg's 1200 ci), making it large enough to carry a lot of stuff.

23324_5600.jpg

While you're at it, consider a Lumbar Pack. It's what I use. Probably the same or slightly better capacity as a mini-backpack but doesn't ride on your shoulders. I got one at a local sporting goods store for $25 which is working fine for me.

A point to consider is that if you get a full-fledged backpack you might just end up packing it with semi-needed stuff because you have the room. In much the same way closets operate, a backpack can attract things up to their carrying capacity, needed or not. Focus on carrying less whenever possible.

If you're looking for a great day pack try the Jansport Cordelera or Kelty Red Wing. My wife uses our Cordelera and has nothing but praise for it. Loving pain myself, I use a 40 lb. load Kelty Red Cloud, even for 2 mile round trip hikes. (Must stay fit for annual AT hike)

Some great suggestions thus far, but I've noticed a saddening fact: none of those packs have monkeys. :huh:

I will be going to try out some packs when I make it back to Miami. I'm sure I'll have lots of fun on my search. Then - after trying everything on and making my decision - I'll head over to eBay and find the pack for 1/3 the price at the store. I'm a power seller AND power buyer.

And before I forget, thanks for the help! I'm making a list of a few names that are popping up. At least now I've got somewhere to start.

Now, back to spraypainting my new cache container... if my fingers are any indication, I'm going to look much like the incredible hulk B) when all is said and done.

I agree with everyone else; try it before you buy. But rather than buying it from a chain store with their mark-ups, check some of the catalogues for a reduced price.

I've purchased numerous products from this one, and they guarantee your satisfaction. sportsmansguide

Sidenote for Snideswipe -

USE EXTREME CARE IN SIMIAN COMPANION SELECTION !

Read following disclaimer to monkey purchase by fellow cacher.

Originally posted by joefrog:

I like monkeys.

The pet store was selling them for 5¢ each. I thought that was odd since they were normally a couple thousand dollars each. I decided not to look a gift horse in the mouth.

I bought 200.

I like monkeys.

I took my 200 monkeys home.

I have a big car.

I let one of them drive. His name was Sigmund.

He was retarded. In fact, none of them were really bright. They kept punching themselves in their genitals.

I laughed.

Then they punched my genitals.

I stopped laughing.

I herded them into my apartment.

They didn't adapt very well to their new environment.

They would screech, hurl themselves off of the couch at high speeds and slam into the wall.

Although humorous at first, the spectacle lost its novelty halfway into its third hour.

Two hours later I found out why all the monkeys were so inexpensive: they all died.

No apparent reason.

They all just sort of dropped dead.

Kinda odd like when you buy a goldfish and it dies five hours later.

dadgum cheap monkeys.

I didn't know what to do. There were 200 dead monkeys lying all over my apartment. On the bed, in the dresser, hanging from my bookcase.

It looked like I had 200 throw rugs.

I tried to flush one down the toilet.

It didn't work. It got stuck.

Then I had one dead, wet monkey and 199 dead, dry monkeys.

I tried pretending that they were just stuffed animals.

That worked for a while.

That is until they began to decompose.

Then it started to smell real bad.

I had to pee but there was a dead monkey in the toilet and I didn't want to call the plumber.

I was embarrassed.

I tried to slow down the decomposition by freezing them.

Unfortunately, there was only enough room for two monkeys at a time, so I had to change them every 30 seconds.

I also had to eat all the food in the freezer so it didn't all go bad.

I tried burning them.

Little did I know my bed was flammable.

I had to extinguish the fire.

Then I had one dead, wet monkey in my toilet, two dead, frozen monkeys in my freezer, and 197 dead, charred monkeys in a pile on my bed.

The odor wasn't improving.

I became agitated at my inability to dispose of my monkeys or use the bathroom.

I severely beat one of my monkeys.

I felt better.

I tried throwing them way but the garbage man said that the city wasn't allowed to dispose of charred primates.

I told him that I had a wet one.

He couldn't take that one either.

I didn't bother asking about the frozen ones.

I finally arrived at a solution.

I gave them out as Christmas gifts.

My friends didn't know quite what to say.

They pretended that they like them but I could tell they were lying.

Ingrates.

So I punched them in the genitals.

I like monkeys.

I guess I'll have to put them in a cache.

Joel (joefrog)

Edited by Captain Chaoss

dadgum! The Joefrog Monkey post makes me wet myself every time!

Fact is I'm so disappointed in the packpacks I find I'm about to make my own. Ripstop Nylon is cheap and we already have a sewing machine. This should be fun! (Maybe funny, if I do anything really bad I'll post a picture for the enjoyment of the community.)

My backpack is actually a hiking pack from EMS, I believe it is the "Summit' series. I paid somewhere around $200 or so for it, but it many compartments, has a detachable section for day hikes, separate (permantly attached) sleeping back compartment at the bottom, clear plastic map holder, several web pockets on each side and a 'hydration' compartment (a place to store what amounts to a wineskin with a long tube that goes outside the pack so you can drink on the run without reaching for a bottle or whatnot.

(grammer is for the weak).

This is the one...

I'd have a hard time spending as much on a pack as a GPS. You can get a perfectly good day pack for under $30 at Walmart. If you are a hard core packpacker go ahead and spend some money for a decent pack, for geocaching find a unit that meets your needs, don't spend $200 when a day pack will do!

For the record, the backpack I take hiking is for 'training'. I plan on doing a portion of the App. Trail in NH this summer, so that I bought an appropriate pack for that purpose. When I can geocache, I carry it around to get used to the feel. It is a very nice pack, and works quite well, even if it is overkill for geocaching.

The fact that you can take the top off for use as a day-pack (for less hiking oriented gc'rs) is quite handy.

Edited by New England n00b

I just bought a Gregory Pow daypack. At 1900 cu inches, it's just right for day hiking or caching. It has an insulated inner sleeve for a water bladder (or computer laptop), several outside zippered pockets, including 2 that are cleverly worked into the waistbelt, and one built into the zippered top access.

It also has a large outside pocket with a mesh divider. One thing that really won me over with this pack is that it has a round zippered top opening for the main compartment. This allows me access without having to lay the pack down. It has a semi-rigid but comfortable back that allows it to hold it's shape while you're rooting around.

Along with all of the above, it's very comfortable and highly adjustable. I'm very pleased with this pack. While you're in Miami, go to Jet's Florida Outdoors on Bird Rd. They carry Gregory packs and may have this one.

I paid $90 at my local outfitter, and darn if I didn't find it here yesterday, at $44.97:

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commerce/com...222&prmenbr=226

Edited by Link & Zelda
For the record, the backpack I take hiking is for 'training'.  I plan on doing a portion of the App. Trail in NH this summer, so that I bought an appropriate pack for that purpose.  When I can geocache, I carry it around to get used to the feel.  It is a very nice pack, and works quite well, even if it is overkill for geocaching.

The fact that you can take the top off for use as a day-pack (for less hiking oriented gc'rs) is quite handy.

Sounds nice, I worked on parts of the Pacific Crest Trail, the App. trail is a dream for me. Heck I'm not that old I could still do it! It's all about time and money in the end. :D

For any kind of overnight stay, I wouldn't recomment the Camelbak M.U.L.E., but it's managed to keep me taken care of easily for a 10-mile hike. There's enough storage for some emergency supplies if used on a longer, remote area hike but certainly not enough to pack a sleeping bag with unless you do some creative bungee action.

The bright green liners and reflective material are great for use as something to completely contrast with the environment if your human form wasn't enough of a pinpointing feature on the landscape.

just bought a Gregory Pow daypack.....I paid $90 at my local outfitter, and darn if I didn't find it here yesterday, at $44.97

Gregory makes very good packs. Gregory was my first choice, but I settled on the Mountainsmith because it had the features I wanted at half the price. If I didn't already have a pack, I'd jump on this pack....esp. at that price. That's a lot of pack for the money!

99984_l.jpg

Edited by briansnat
You may also want to consider a camelbak, and have up to 100 oz of water, as well as your goodies.

I use 3 levels of equipment:

(1) Stealth or urban caching - coat pockets

(2) Urban parks, other "maintained" areas - short trips - FatBoy slung from my shoulder

(3) Longer trips, more backwoods, high heat, whatever - CamelBak Peak Bagger. It is about the largest civilian CamelBak you can get.

I use a Camelbak Trail Blazer (though the slightly smaller Cloud Walker was my original choice--glad to get the extra space in the Trail Blazer), but am going to check out these FatBoys for quick trips. They look interesting and I have yet to see a bad comment on them in the forums.

Edited by mrkablooey

Awww man!!! I just realized how geek i've become. That Fatboy thingy looks awesome for toting crap around DAILY!!!! Kind of a cool military looking (I like the khaki) NON-purse for men! All I can see is Jerry Seinfeld standing on the street in that fur coat , yelling at the police officer "It's not a purse!!!"

The curse of technology...

For me, the comfort of a backpack is the key and I've found nothing as comfortable as a Jansport backpack with their "AirLift" technology straps.

The straps are like this honeycomb-shaped gel-like stuff (I know, I know, how very technical of me) that really helps distribute pack weight and just feels very comfortable, even over long pack hikes.

http://www.jansport.com/tech_airlift.php

Best Regards,

turtlex

Snideswipe, what part of MO are you currently in? If you are in the Springfield area, they have one of those huge BASS Pro Shops. I just checked on-line and they have a large selection of packs by different manufacturers. That's not to say they will have the same ones in the brick and mortar store. But instead of waiting to try one on in Miami in the spring, why not try it now? Then go and buy one from E-Bay.

Awww man!!! I just realized how geek i've become. That Fatboy thingy looks awesome for toting crap around DAILY!!!! Kind of a cool military looking (I like the khaki) NON-purse for men! All I can see is Jerry Seinfeld standing on the street in that fur coat , yelling at the police officer "It's not a purse!!!"

The curse of technology...

No way. You need The Pod.

If I didn't already have a pack, I'd jump on this pack....esp. at that price. That's a lot of pack for the money!

Briansnat - Yes, it is a steal!

I forgot to mention another of my favorite things about this pack. On top of both shoulder straps, there is a mesh strip about 4"-6" long that forms kind of a mesh tube. I slipped my Camelbak hose under the left one, which keeps it under control very nicely. On the other shoulder mesh, I slipped the belt clip of my GPS holder (I have a Garmin Venture). Now, my hands are free and the GPS has a clear view of the sky. I used this set-up today on a 5-mile hike and it worked perfectly.

If any of you are looking for a great daypack at a fantastic price...snag one of these!

99984_l.jpg

My pack is a "beefy pack." I had never heard of the brand, but I found it on sale for $25, it has gel padded straps, a good waist strap, several compartments, cords for clipping things on, and mesh bottle holders. All the features I required and cheap at that! It is also marketed as being a school pack, so it has a compartment with pen and card holders etc. I find that useful when caching. I had been looking at Camelbacks, but I wanted more room for longer hikes in varying weather where I might want to pack extra clothes etc inside. But if you want a smaller pack, the hydration packs like camelback are quite nice. They also make some larger ones, but I'm cheap and ruled them out since the hydration system wasn't particularly important to me.

I envy you guys who can use the cross-body one strap style. I can't wear one without being horribly squished in all the wrong spots. 

I will add that my pack doesn't "squish" in the wrong spots. Could be my "size" though! :o:D

Edited by carleenp

Only occasionally do I need the 1500- 2000 cubic inch backpack, for an evening jacket (and what not). I usually go with a fanny pack for quick caching (in and out of the car), and add a small Camelback when the hike or jog is more than 30 minutes. The Camelback has bungies to hold a windbreaker and/or Windstopper vest.

Man, you guys are taking this way too seriously. "My backpack is made by Boeing." "I like the ones by Mercedes-Benz."

"This backpack has a compartment for my offset and spanner wrenches, then there's the area for the sextant, the patented thermo technology keeps my lunch (in the food stowage section) piping hot, or Arctic cold.

I want to go car shopping with you.

What is everyone toting around anyway? I usually just have my GPSr and some water. I guess I should be taking a trash bag with me too as I usually end up carrying some amount of trash out with me. What's everyone hauling that requires a day pack?

In the winter, stuff that may save my life.

In the summer, lunch, 100 oz. of water, a fleece pullover, bug repellant, first aid kit, PDA, flashlight, rain parka, extra batteries, TP and a few niceties.

Man, you guys are taking this way too seriously.

When you're a 3 hour hike from the nearest road, a quality pack is nice to have. You don't want straps breaking and seams pulling apart. It would stink to have to carry everything in your arms because your pack failed. As far as pack features, granted all you really need is one large compartment, but the various organizational features are nice, so you don't have to empty your whole pack each time you want to get at the batteries at the bottom.

Edited by briansnat
What is everyone toting around anyway? I usually just have my GPSr and some water. I guess I should be taking a trash bag with me too as I usually end up carrying some amount of trash out with me. What's everyone hauling that requires a day pack?

In the winter, stuff that may save my life.

In the summer, lunch, 100 oz. of water, a fleece pullover, bug repellant, first aid kit, PDA, flashlight, rain parka, extra batteries, TP and a few niceties.

Man, you guys are taking this way too seriously.

When you're a 3 hour hike from the nearest road, a quality pack is nice to have. You don't want straps breaking and seams pulling apart. It would stink to have to carry everything in your arms because your pack failed. As far as pack features, granted all you really need is one large compartment, but the various organizational features are nice, so you don't have to empty your whole pack each time you want to get at the batteries at the bottom.

I just LOVE cargo pants with lots of pockets!

I carry a Camelback RimRunner or an older Platypus backpack. Used the RimRunner on a 16 mile (roundtrip) dayhike in Colorado and it worked just fine. Has ample room and bungee straps on the back for lashing poles and jackets. I hiked in a 100oz platypus bottle and "cached" it 3-4 miles up the trail for the return trip after topping off the 100oz in the camelbak.

I highly reccomend the Maxpedition gear. I got one (M-4 waistpack) for Christmas because I got tired of carrying a backpack when I went on Geocache runs in mostly Urban areas. It will hold a camera, PDA, GPS, cellphone, log book, 2 pens, leatherman tool, penlight, my mini head lamp, small trade items, 1 set of rechargable backup batteries, 1 set of alkaline batteries to backup my backups just in case, and a backup lithium battery for the camera. We call it.....

MY MAN-PURSE!

p07.jpg

Edited by beatnik

I've been carrying this pack for a few years. I have used camelback style packs but find that I don't keep close enough track of my water intake. It sucks to be 4 miles into a 7 miles hike and sip your last sip. When my son and I go backpacking we carry water in bladders but drink from bottles. It helps to keep you aware of how much you ahve left.

C2502.jpg