How did you find out about Geocaching???

I was Sitting home, still very much in a state of shock due to the events of 9-11.

I had basically been sitting in front of the TV, with my Laptop, for the last 3 days with a blank stare, and a sense of utter disbelief, when I decided to check Garmin's Site for a Software update to my eTrex Vista.

In looking around Garmin's site, I ran across a link to Geocaching.com...

"What the Hell is Geocaching?" I thought out loud.

Well.. my curiosity got the best of me and I decided to investigate, and WOW!!!

This could really be fun..

I signed up that night, placed my first cache, a Multi,Computer Graveyard Cache

2 days later, Followed by finding my first cacheCamp Livingston #1

7 days after that... and the Rest is History....

icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks to Geocaching I now get out more, use my GPSr almost every day, see places I've always wanted to see, and have met tons of great folks in the proccess.

Thanks Geocaching...

Buck8Poin

Buck8Point

-------------------------

If I can't Fix it, It's Definately Broke.

I was Sitting home, still very much in a state of shock due to the events of 9-11.

I had basically been sitting in front of the TV, with my Laptop, for the last 3 days with a blank stare, and a sense of utter disbelief, when I decided to check Garmin's Site for a Software update to my eTrex Vista.

In looking around Garmin's site, I ran across a link to Geocaching.com...

"What the Hell is Geocaching?" I thought out loud.

Well.. my curiosity got the best of me and I decided to investigate, and WOW!!!

This could really be fun..

I signed up that night, placed my first cache, a Multi,Computer Graveyard Cache

2 days later, Followed by finding my first cacheCamp Livingston #1

7 days after that... and the Rest is History....

icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks to Geocaching I now get out more, use my GPSr almost every day, see places I've always wanted to see, and have met tons of great folks in the proccess.

Thanks Geocaching...

Buck8Poin

Buck8Point

-------------------------

If I can't Fix it, It's Definately Broke.

I read on the ABC news web page about "augmented reality"

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/scitech/DailyNews/cybershake020415.html

...I was just browsing around, thought about GPS, and searched for it, and then ran into a pointer to the Geocaching.com web site.

...It sounded interesting, but like lots of people, I procrastinated a bit - and didn't get a GPSr until early July. It was really Fran who got hooked on 'wanting to try' but once we did, we both quickly became fanatics! We still call ourselves "Geocache new-bie"s and probably won't remove that title until we get 50 caches - because we still feel we have a lot to learn!!

-Joel

I was reading a mag that is oriented towards the role-playing game crowd (you know, games of Satan) and the editor was talking about geocaching. The wife had been on me to come up with a family activity and this seemed perfect.

Score one for me!

August 26th, 2000 while working in Phoenix, AZ for Sprint on their now-defunct Broadband Wireless Group (BWG) Internet service. We used Garmin eTrex GPSr's to determine customers' lat/long which gave us their location & distance from the mountain top microwave towers that beamed the broadband signal. With triple digit temps and high humidity, I spent alot of my spare time in my hotel room surfing the net---and happened to find this link while checking out more about the eTrex I used for the job. Didn't search for my first cache until March, 2001, back home in LA. Only regret is not starting sooner! Mainly because during that period, Sprint paid me to travel all over the country-- Phoenix, Tuscon, San Jose, Denver, Colorado Springs, Kansas City-- All those great cache locations (although there weren't very many to find back then). Woulda-Coulda-Shoulda

I just looked deep under the clutter of my inbox and found this letter I received from my friend Robyne on January 18, 2002:

quote:

Subject: Caching

Have you heard of this relatively new pastime? I recommend that your next

tech toy be a GPS device so you can get out into the great outdoors sometime

to combine fresh air & family activity with your penchant for geeky things.

http://www.geocaching.com/

Rob

At the time, I had just bought my new Palm M500 and thought she was nuts for suggesting another "toy."

I got my Venture 25 days later . . . along with my first cache. That seemed like an adequate waiting period. icon_wink.gif

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again."

Mt. 13:44

I just looked deep under the clutter of my inbox and found this letter I received from my friend Robyne on January 18, 2002:

quote:

Subject: Caching

Have you heard of this relatively new pastime? I recommend that your next

tech toy be a GPS device so you can get out into the great outdoors sometime

to combine fresh air & family activity with your penchant for geeky things.

http://www.geocaching.com/

Rob

At the time, I had just bought my new Palm M500 and thought she was nuts for suggesting another "toy."

I got my Venture 25 days later . . . along with my first cache. That seemed like an adequate waiting period. icon_wink.gif

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again."

Mt. 13:44

My family and I are gadget junkies. We like our toys and have many. We all had been enamored with GPS technology for a long time. We each agreed that being able to tell one's position at any time would be wonderful. But then we would ask, "What good would that really be? What could you do with knowing that information?" Then we would drift out of that conversation for we know we wouldn't be purchasing one that day.

Last fall, a friend of mine, Webfoot, sent me an article all about geocaching in which he was quoted. I read on about it and was hooked. I researched the old forum for makes and models and soon purchased one.

Fro.

Geocaching . . . hiking with a purpose

My wife (CANDIE) received a tip at work. When she got home, she noticed WWW.WHERESGOERGE.COM

stamped on it. After going to that site, she noticed a link from someones entry that brought her to that other site. Our family ended up finding quite a few caches on that site. Then somehow we noticed that there was different names showing up in the logs. Thats when we found out that there were two geocaching websites. Our family now enjoys both sites tremendously!!!!!!

Duane icon_biggrin.gif

Our feet go where the caches are! feet.gif

[This message was edited by upinyachit on July 28, 2002 at 01:24 PM.]

My wife (CANDIE) received a tip at work. When she got home, she noticed WWW.WHERESGOERGE.COM

stamped on it. After going to that site, she noticed a link from someones entry that brought her to that other site. Our family ended up finding quite a few caches on that site. Then somehow we noticed that there was different names showing up in the logs. Thats when we found out that there were two geocaching websites. Our family now enjoys both sites tremendously!!!!!!

Duane icon_biggrin.gif

Our feet go where the caches are! feet.gif

[This message was edited by upinyachit on July 28, 2002 at 01:24 PM.]

It was at work one fateful day......

I was browsing Canada.com, looking up the various new scandals in the Candian Government, and decided to get my daily fix of Web Junkie (the daily time wasting links for people in IT or tech positions who tend to surf as much as they work!) and there it was....geocaching.com with a brief description.

My first thought was....perfect! My wife and I both love hiking (we moved to Toronto from Vancouver, and being outside is kind of like second nature), and we both enjoy high tech toys (well....me more than her, but she likes them too). So this was a natural way to combine both loves. We were instantly addicted....the rest is history.

"When I was a young man, I journeyed to the West to find myself......it turns out I had the wrong coordinates."

Sometime in late 2001 I was checking out the profile of a Georger who had just hit one of my bills, and saw a link to Geocaching.com. Looking around the site for a bit was all it took for me! I didn't get my GPSr until a month or two later, but I've been visiting the site nearly every day since then!

----------------------------------------------------------

Until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore,

You will not know the terror of being forever lost at sea.

quote:
Originally posted by CWalker:

I was reading a mag that is oriented towards the role-playing game crowd (you know, games of Satan) and the editor was talking about geocaching. The wife had been on me to come up with a family activity and this seemed perfect.

Score one for me!

Hoody Hoo! I found out about Geocaching in

KODT too.

(I waste 'em with my GPS??)

Last year, I ran across a daylog in my primary online community, Everything2, that referred to geocaching. So I went and looked it up (E2 is, among other things, an encyclopedia-like site) and it sounded fun. Then my husband got me a Magellan for my Palm V, just because I'm a gadget freak.

So I gave it a go, and went looking for a cache that had gone missing! icon_frown.gif But by then I had been reading other cache descriptions and had an idea for my first cache. So I was hooked on hiding before I was able to find anything... icon_rolleyes.gif

evilrooster

-the email of the species is deadlier than the mail-

Last year, I ran across a daylog in my primary online community, Everything2, that referred to geocaching. So I went and looked it up (E2 is, among other things, an encyclopedia-like site) and it sounded fun. Then my husband got me a Magellan for my Palm V, just because I'm a gadget freak.

So I gave it a go, and went looking for a cache that had gone missing! icon_frown.gif But by then I had been reading other cache descriptions and had an idea for my first cache. So I was hooked on hiding before I was able to find anything... icon_rolleyes.gif

evilrooster

-the email of the species is deadlier than the mail-

I've been a fan of Randy Cassingham's "This is True" newsletter for years. He summarizes "believe it or not" articles from newspapers. Highly recommended. See www.thisistrue.com for details.

Anyways, one feature of his site is the sale of "Get out of hell free" cards, a parody of the "get out of jail free" card from Monopoly. In an early June newsletter, the author mentioned that the cards had become popular items to leave in Geocaches. I followed the link, and the rest is history.

It helped that, on the same weekend, my 8 yr. old daughter buried a treasure chest full of happy meal toys in our backyard and was bugging me about how we could go out and FIND treasures.

You can't make this stuff up! icon_smile.gif

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

"Daddy, are we there yet? No, .17 to go. Are we there yet? No, .16 to go....."

I've been a fan of Randy Cassingham's "This is True" newsletter for years. He summarizes "believe it or not" articles from newspapers. Highly recommended. See www.thisistrue.com for details.

Anyways, one feature of his site is the sale of "Get out of hell free" cards, a parody of the "get out of jail free" card from Monopoly. In an early June newsletter, the author mentioned that the cards had become popular items to leave in Geocaches. I followed the link, and the rest is history.

It helped that, on the same weekend, my 8 yr. old daughter buried a treasure chest full of happy meal toys in our backyard and was bugging me about how we could go out and FIND treasures.

You can't make this stuff up! icon_smile.gif

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

"Daddy, are we there yet? No, .17 to go. Are we there yet? No, .16 to go....."

I was riding on a plane and the person next to me asked how I had fractured my leg as I was walking with crutches. I explained to him how I broke it while on a bicycle tour. A few minutes later he handed me a section of the USAToday that had the 10 best bicycle tours listed. He told me to keep the acticle so I could plan for when my leg was better. Well on the next page there was an article about geocaching and well the rest I guess is history....

Bruce

A friend's sister wrote him about two leterboxes in our area. We had fun looking for them and I joined their elist where they discussed "geotrashers." I came over here to check it out and the rest, as they say...

Bought my GPS just two months ago and am glad I waited. First introduced to a Garmin in the '70s, you had to put in the right coordinates for it to work! (If I knew all that, why would I need a GPS?)

Another friend recommended Garmin V and now I can tell my hiking buddies not only where we are but what's nearby. Love it!

I was actually looking for orienteering websites with google when I landed on geocaching.com. I didn't have a GPSr, so I just bookmarked it. A few months later, I hit on it again, and discovered a cache across the street from the school I used to teach at. I still didn't have a GPSr, but I figured I could find it anyway. I did, and I've been addicted ever since.

25021_1200.gif

I work in law enforcement. I got a notice at work that if we found people wandering around aimlessly in the woods or other places hiding cans or other containers not to be too quick to blow up the container as a possible bomb. The notice advised the people weren't terrorists, nuts, or wackos, just people playing the geocaching game. Sounded fun so I gave it a try. The notice was right about geocachers not being terrorists but was wrong about not being nuts or wackos. icon_wink.gif

I work in law enforcement. I got a notice at work that if we found people wandering around aimlessly in the woods or other places hiding cans or other containers not to be too quick to blow up the container as a possible bomb. The notice advised the people weren't terrorists, nuts, or wackos, just people playing the geocaching game. Sounded fun so I gave it a try. The notice was right about geocachers not being terrorists but was wrong about not being nuts or wackos. icon_wink.gif

Well Im a Guy so I "read" guy magizines its suprizing after done examming the playmates they have good articles too.

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: But when I became a man, I put away childish things.

Had wanted to get a GPS for quite some time so I wouldn't get lost in the woods anymore. Then over a year ago, I read an article on geocaching in Backpacker magazine. 6 or 8 months later, I finally coughed up the dough and bought my GPS right before a trip to Banff, where I bagged my first cache.

I no longer get lost on the trail, but I still get lost trying find a place to park (hey --- my Venture doesn't have streetmaps, okay?).

[This message was edited by husqui on July 28, 2002 at 08:10 PM.]

quote:
For me it was an article in USA Today... sometime last year on the front of the Life section.

While I had heard of Geocaching late in 2000, the fact that there was only one cache at the time caused me to not be very interested. I saw the same article though, looked up the sport again and that's all she wrote.

In response to 9/11 our youth and music ministers, who were cachers, decided to plant the Pray for the USA cache. Our pastor told us that they had planted a geocache (had no idea what that was!) and about some of the logs they had had. Later that morning, I found out more from our Music Minister just what this thing was. Got a GPS for my birthday a few weeks later. I went and found their cache first and have been hooked ever since.

I actually wrote this in my bio, but I first heard about geocaching from watching TechTV (one of my favorite TV channels). They did a little piece on the show called "The Screensavers" about geocaching. A few months later, they did another, bigger spot about geocaching on "Call For Help". I already had a GPS before learning about geocaching, so I decided to just check out the site and see if there were any in my area. I think that there were a couple, so I registered my name and put the site into my favorites. I didn't really begin to really get in to geocaching until earlier this summer, however, when I found out that my friend had also learned about the hobby, and was interested in finding caches as well.

I don't really remember HOW I got to the site. I sit in front of a computer at work for 8+ hours 5 days a week. Ido a LOT of surfing. It was in January of 2002 that I found the site and thought "this is really cool!". I had always wanted a GPS, but didn't really have the money to get one. I perused the site for a few weeks and showed it to my wife, who thought it was really interesting. However, we had no idea how to hunt for a cache without a GPS and soon stopped visiting the site.

For my birthday in May, I got a Visor Prism and for Father's Day, my wife gave me the GPS Companion for it. We have been caching for just over a month and we love it. So do our 3 kids! We are getting ready to place our first 2-3 caches.

Sea Wolf

A friend of mine sent around an e-mail essentially saying "I've had some unusual hobbies, but this [geocaching] is just strange".

Being the outdoorsy one in my circle of friends, I responded with a defence of geocaching along the lines of "If you have a GPS, you would really only use it for a few weeks a year if you are out in the wilderness. Geocaching at least gives you something to do the rest of the year."

Another friend answered asking if I'd tried it [no], and where are the local caches. I did some research, found that there were caches around Toronto, and after reading a debate on http://www.myccr.com on the merits of GPS vs compass and maps, bought a GPS. Now all I need to do is wait until September to be able to use it in the wilderness, until then I'll just keep geocaching.

Paul

I found geocaching.com from straightdope.com "Weird Earl's" link.

This was before I had a GPS, and I dragged out a mate who did to go looking (we found a few) and I bought his old one off him (A Garmin Venture).

Well worth it.

------

O God, I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams.

Hamlet, II.2 252-253