Do you keep geocaching stuff in your car, just in case?

hikemeister

My wife thinks I am nuts -- my glove box and other storage places in the car, which once held tapes and CDs now hold a tupperware container of trade items, a bunch of small rocks painted with a Hikemeister logo, pages of cache pages, my GPS unit, and spare batteries. I like to have this stuff, because you never know when you can hit a cache over lunch break, or on the way to / from work.

Do you folks have similar habits, or have I gone off the deep end?

quote:
Originally posted by woof & lulu:

Yes to both icon_biggrin.gif

What they said.

I keep at least one box of crap in the car and my geocaching backpack with my gear goes everywhere that I do. Can't leave it in the car in the Texas heat. bad_boy_a.gif

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

If you are not failing now and again, it's a sign you're playing it safe. - Woody Allen

My geocaching backpack, complete with Rino and trade goods, goes everywhere I do. Even if I forget the backpack somehow, my GPS V is right there on the dashboard! When I go on business trips, I whittle it down to just the Rino, a good compass, and a couple of choice trade items.

--

Scott Johnson (ScottJ)

Nevermind just the question of people keeping cache stuff in the car just incase!!!

People buy cars around caching --- JUST INCASE..

but yes I keep my caching backpack in the car, oh and my boots, and my hiking stick etc etc

NOSEEUMS--High Protein Low Calorie unpacked trail snacks!!!!

See You In the Woods!!!

Natureboy1376

I keep my GPS connected to a laptop, change of clothes, hiking boots and treking poles in my truck. I have a Geocaching license plate frame (with company plate on the front of the truck) and my Geocaching hat on the dash. I went caching on my lunch hour today!

727397geoberney2.jpg

Larebel

"When you got nothing, you got nothing to lose". - Bob Dylan

I did not until today. Today I decided to hit a cache, but I had not planned on it. I managed to find the cache sans GPS, but did not have any trade items. From now on I'll have the GPS and a small box of trade items, flashlight and Leatherman with me, or in my car, at all times.

quote:
Originally posted by lowracer:

Not only do I keep spare cache swag, my self-inking stamper and my hiking boots, but I also keep a fully-stocked and ready-to-deploy 50 caliber ammo can cache box complete with blank logbook, in case I run across that perfect hiding spot while out running errands.

I've got four of those in my trunk right now and about 10 micros of various sizes in my junk box.

The only problem that I have had is no time to do anything with it. I have been working 60+ hours a week for the past 2 and 1/2 months. I still drag all that crap around though. I must be a real optimist, or just stupid. tired.gif

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

If you are not failing now and again, it's a sign you're playing it safe. - Woody Allen

GPS always in purse, sig items in glove compartment along with trade items and pens. Flashlight also handy in case of night raid.

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes

On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:

"Something hidden. Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --

"Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling , The Explorer 1898

I've got my pack, my GPSr (pre loaded with cache WP's), a couple of ammo boxes ready to go, maps, clothes etc... Umm. Isn't that what everybody does?

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Because now I am Lost.

[This message was edited by J&MBella on October 16, 2003 at 07:25 PM.]

I'm as guilty as everyone else in this thread.

GPS

Palm pilot

Trade items

one ready to go .30 cal ammo can

one ready to go micro

Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own.

Sydney J. Harris

Yes sir, Yes sir, three bags full! And the belly bag, back pack, extra cache containers, log books, batteries, spare clothes, rain gear, hiking stick, emergency roadside kit, tool kit, water, sometimes food, spare change, maps, and I can cover it all up with a shade that slides across the back to hide it all when I'm working. Sometimes I have to take stuff out and it throws my caching all off.

I cache, therefore I am.

Planet

My wife takes the car to work so I take the bus. So, on the bus I have the GPS, PDA and in the fanny-pack I keep trade items, minor cache repair kit and foreign coins (for trade).

Since none of the un-found caches in my area are within walking distance I have waypointed the picnic tables at work (and adjoining areas) so at lunch I can go and "find" them". (???!!!???)

Bye the way... most picnic tables are usually +-3m. Anyway to log these??

Dave.

quote:
Originally posted by davwil:

So, on the bus I have the GPS, PDA and in the fanny-pack I keep trade items, minor cache repair kit and foreign coins (for trade).

What is a 'fanny pack' ???..... sounds rude icon_smile.gif

Andy

.... got it..... we calls this a bum-bag. I do love language differences.

[This message was edited by The Cuthberts on October 17, 2003 at 06:58 AM.]

Who doesn't....

We have two vehicles in the family, both equipped with my older Gps units on the dash in removable brackets! In both the Jeep and the truck, I will have between 1 - 3 ready to go ammo cases and many assorted micro caches! You never know when you might find the ideal spot! My backpack always goes with me as well as my briefcase so I am always ready to go caching! My wife is now used to me going out of the way to get a cache when we are out visiting or driving around! icon_biggrin.gif

Darkmoon

"After you've heard two eyewitness accounts of an automobile accident, you begin to worry about history" -Anonymous

quote:
What is a 'fanny pack' ???..... sounds rude

You can get slapped for saying that in some places! icon_biggrin.gif

Since I don't own a car, the answer to the original question is *no.*

I do, however, have a pack of necessities ready to go at all times. And I always carry my GPSr and camera, and a few trading items wherever I go on my bicycle.

Duh! icon_razz.gif

bad_boy_a.gif

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**

As a UK acher I keep boots, Waterproofs a walking pole in the trunk (That is what you call it isn't it?) of my car. I have an IPAQ and a Bluetooth GPSr that never leaves my side. This is just an indication of how obsessed I am with Geocaching. You just need to look at the cache distrubtion in the UK to see there is one every few miles. Just imagine how frusrating it it is to pass them when you have not got time...

Cheers

Chris

LASSITUDE- (noun) Tiredness and apathy: a state of weariness accompanied by listlessness or apathy[15th century. Via French from Latin lassitudo , from lassus 'weary'.]

quote:
Originally posted by CYBret:

quote:
Do you keep geocaching stuff in your car, just in case?

Seems to me the only proper response from ANY geocacher would be, _"Well, DUH!"_

Bret

__"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again."_ Mt. 13:44_

http://www.flash.to/the-cache<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well Duh!!!

Cheers!

TL icon_biggrin.gif

I'm one of the "Well Duh" crowd. Fully stocked car for all geocaching needs including spare containers (mid size regular down to a couple of micros). Nothing more irksome than having a new cache come up at lunch time and the GPS is in the other car icon_mad.gif

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. The rest go geocaching.

Lets se, I keep curios items I find on the trails. Interesting natural containers to place hides, the full backpack, at least a half dozen spare log books for those caches where they ran out, dito on the pens.......

Then theres the 3 chambers of loot to either help top up a cache that seems a little run down or to trade.

On top of that my gear for caching is always in the car, the gps is loaded with all area waypoints that I havn't done so I can check if I'm approaching a cache while driving..( lunch break, driving to work..or home from work.)

Keith

Bear & Ducky

Wow, it looks like I'm more of a minimalist than I thought! Since there are caches on and around campus my backpack's got my GPSr, trade items and a small notebook with cache info. Oh, and class notes every now and then icon_biggrin.gif The cars decked when the packs in it, and the boots are always on.

...the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese...

I am definitly a "Well DUH! icon_biggrin.gif

Bag of cache trinkets on the backseat floor, next to the bag of hiking shoes. Backpack of cache gear there too. Clipboard of currently targeted caches usually on the passenger seat. Folder of road trip caches in the map pocket behind the passenger seat. And finally, the GPS is under the center console lid held in place by a cool elastic strap that fits it perfectly. icon_wink.gif

It's a 2003 Nissan Murano 4WD with just under 15,000 miles already. My wife thinks I'm nuts, but she's the one who brought 4 cats into our home. icon_rolleyes.gif

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane