Where were you when the lights went out?

Doc-Dean

Fortunately for me, in Florida, we had no problems.

I suppose it also could have been worse, luckily they were able to unlink the NE power grid from the rest of the nation otherwise it would have continued to spread.

---------------------------------------------------

frog.gif Free your mind and the rest will follow frog.gif

Sitting in front of my PC posting here. In fact I had just hit the POST NOW button when the power went out. It came back on moments later, but the lights were very dim for about 2 mins.

I didn't think anything was wrong until I turned on the radio while driving my daughter to soccer practice. Then I went to get gas and the station was closed, and most of the street lights weren't working. Our power was still on when I got home and has been straight through this...but people on the other side of town are still out. Kind of odd.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

Sitting in front of my PC posting here. In fact I had just hit the POST NOW button when the power went out.

So it's YOUR fault!

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures and Here (newest)

Gawd, this reminds me of an incident from years ago here in Oregon... icon_wink.gif

Scene: me at work. Outside is nasty storm. The lights flicker, but then hold steady.

I sang out: "HEY LIGHTS!! Time to go out now!!!"

Guess what happened?

Boy did I get yelled at. icon_wink.gif

Then the lights came on again. I got a big evil grin on my face and looked at my supervisor, pretending as if I knew something he didn't.

He said "don't you dare!"

I grinned bigger and said to the ceiling: "Hey, much LONGER this time!!!"

The power went out for 2 days.

Took a few weeks before my co-workers quit acting all silly and/or spooky around me about THAT one... icon_wink.gif

Couldn't do THAT twice, THAT's for sure...

I was actually in NYC visiting inlaws. Luckily, I was in Queens & not Manhatten. My sis-in-law had to hop a bus, find her daughter (day camp at the Y), and WALK back to Queens -- about 8 miles.

It was a slightly warm night in the apt, too... didn't get power back until around 9 am.

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

33 floors up in my office in Midtown. Managed to make it home and then took out all the beer in the refrigerator and proceeded to drink it before it got warm, all the while sitting outside in the pitch black looking up at the stars. Office was closed the next day. We should do this more often. icon_smile.gif

(Lights came on at 2 AM)

Funny. This thread was started with absolutely NOTHING to do with geocaching, yet it continues. A thread about firearms (also totally unrelated to geocaching) gets locked, yet this remains NOT locked.

Another thread gets started and makes it 8 posts about the geocaching site yet is locked. I understand this is a forum run by a private corporation, but what happened to our right to express ourselves?

Brian

Team A.I.

quote:
Managed to make it home and then took out all the beer in the refrigerator and proceeded to drink it before it got warm

Thank God someone was being responsible!

This whole episode reminds me of the October '97 snow/ice storm we had in Lincoln (& all of SE Nebraska). Due to the weight of the snow and ice, many very large tree branches and power lines were downed. People in newer neighborhoods never lost power for second while most of the city lost power for days. We were without power in our house for 5 days.

------------------------------------------------------------

I am Lothar, King of the Hill people. I have many tales to tell....

24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not. - Stephen Wright

------------------------------------------------------------