[IMG] Tags removed from signature lines

iryshe

Warning, long post! It could make your page load slowly!

OK, various thoughts in no particular order:

(1) Well, I'll miss my little waving Pikachu. I always thought of that as my signature for people to recognize me. More so than my avatar (which will change soon). So, I'm saddened by the whole thing. Yet, I realize that this is a private site whose rules we must play by and I respect that. With that said, I will add some things that are mostly complaints about the policy.

(2) At first, I could see the complaint about slow loading on dial up. But then, being on dial up myself, I noticed that the lack of sig lines w/ pics etc. didn't really make a noticable difference. So, I think that is a red hearing. I loaded a page with few images and it still took just as long!

(3) I am concerned that the policy came about in part due to people posting stats. I realize that is an ongoing issue (that I have stayed out of) and I respect Geocaching.com's take on it, but I don't see how the stat signatures were hurting anyone. It makes me wonder why that would be so threatening? Am I missing something here?

(4) It bothers me that these forums are getting so dramatic lately. Here we have just finally stopped seeing multiple pirate threads, and yet here comes another drama issue and it comes straight from TPTB. Bad timing in my mind! Why not let people have their fun when a small number are complaining. Why do somthing to cause more drama? I bet there will be more email over this (either in support or against) than it is worth. If anything, couldn't this have waited? Or better yet, had some input ahead of time?

(5) If images annoyed people, could you have spoken up? I have seen people get defensive over it, so I can see your hesitation. But I have also seen people complain and saw it get fixed. Plus, there is always middle ground. E.g. a huge image takes a long time to load, so the person should remove it. Or an image is really, really distracting (like Woodster's pumkins, which I note, he removed when asked). So, then people post and the person reacts. It is nice to see that in public.

(6) I saw Jeremy quote a number of emails and refer to people who didn't feel comfortable posting. This has always bothered me. Either people are too afraid to speak their mind, in which case I understand but have less respect for them. Or, a writer uses that email stat to make a point, which also tends to bug me because it is using hidden statistics to try to validate a point. Stats can always be bended. I want to see valid arguments.

(7) If the images were causing server issues w/ geocaching.com, then although I have the concerns that I listed, I support the decision.

Finally, reagardless of my thoughts, I respect the decision, the people who made it and the people who support it.

I will miss my pikachu, but like I said, I'll survive. It all isn't really worth the drama.

pika waving

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

You know, it's funny that the people who are applauding the removal of graphic sig lines aren't doing their part and removing their avatars, too. If my little sig graphic was so bad, then the avatars have to go as well.

Hmmm? How about it?

Actually, from what I experienced recently in other topics as well as the General Forum, it seemed that off-site graphics were what was taking forever to load (this is on cable broadband AND t1 university line). Most notably was the keenpeople stat graphics and then other off-site graphics in my other threads. If I went to either site where the graphic was hosted directly, things there loaded perfectly and quick. Avatars and the icons for the message board were loading fairly smoothly (empty cache, shift-reloads).

It may be that infopop is written to handle on-site graphics better. It may be that it's written poorly to redirect to another site to get extra graphics...either way, it was definitely causing my loads (and reloads) to slow down dramatically (while other threads without these images loaded significantly faster).

So, for whatever reason, avatars will always be fine and if you wanted to upload your stat pictures to your profile and find out what the URL is to reference in the forum somehow...that'd probably do well considering what I've experienced and puzzled through on why the server bogs down on me occasionally.

--

http://magazine.audubon.org/features0101/goodwood.html

Yep, I'm glad they are gone. I hope all those little animated smiley thingies go too. Colour me cranky, but why in the world do you need to have your posts plastered with pictures, dancing bananas and flashing banners? Aren't we here to discuss caching? After the 10th time seeing a huge picture of a skier, I was fed up. The huge line up of dancing smileys drives me nuts too.

As far as avatars go, they aren't disturbing. They are off to one side, and aren't in the body of the message.

So Jeremy, good on ya! Thank you for making a tough decision and for getting pooed upon by people too interested in their flashing bells and whistles. Can we all please get over this and get back to geocaching?

I'm sorry, I'm up late and I'm tired. I had to vent. After reading though 4 pages of this topic, I feel it would be a lot neater and easier to read if it was just the message and not a lot of crap attached to it. Here endeth the rant.

"You are cleared for geocaching."

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy:

It's awful the number of emails we get these days where people are too intimidated about posting in the forums to ask a question, or make a comment. It's one of the big reasons why we now have moderators that try to keep items on topic. Our hope is that we can make this a place where people aren't afraid to get involved in a discussion.

I'm intimidated by a large bees nest, but you don't see the bee keeper wacking the hive before I walk by it, do you?

I could care less about the sig files, but it seems there are other things that could be done that would make this a more inviting place. Just check out the complaint threads for a start. If people are happier with the site/services, I'd be willing to bet they'd be happier in the forums as well as there'd likely be less "heated" discussions.

~robert

www.CacheGear.com

mdgpsbanner.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Cruzin!:

Don't count on it. Jeremy's a purist and is against the idea of competitive aspect being injected into the activity.

A bad idea. It's already there, whether he wants it or not. It's a matter of whether or not he wants to promote or facilitate it on this site, which he doesn't. But it's already there and will be there, regardless of his choice of direction.

The outlet is there (keenpeople.com, etc.) so if you want stats, you'll have to go there.

quote:
he is _incredibly_ arrogant and has convinced himself that the direction he wants the activity to take is the best, and subsequently the only, path it should take, regardless of what the rest of the caching population thinks. That attitude, not the actions he takes or decisions he makes, is the fundamental source of friction between TPTB and those of us that are "outspoken" or "whiners" in the forums. He would find his customer base much happier if he were more willing to accomodate them and their desires. It isn't that it can't be done; he just doesn't want to do it.

I have mixed feelings about this. Yes, it is arrogant to think that one's own ideas are the only ideas that will work, but somewhere, somehow, there has to be someone to help lead this sport in the right direction. Does it have to be as strict as it is? No. Is it being done the right way? No (not based on my one lone opinion but the opinions of countless others). Does it need guidance and leadership to keep it from disintegrating? Yes. Is Jeremy the one to do it? Who knows, but he's stepped up to do what needs to be done. He just needs to be open to other opinions. Whether they get implemented or not is up to the jury, but it shouldn't be done by one person alone.

~robert

www.CacheGear.com

mdgpsbanner.gif

I'll side with Jeremy and GC.com.

The first time, maybe the graphics were cute. The thirtieth they were annoying. And yes, I have noticed a slow down on both the computers I use to access the forums.

As for stats, why doesn't someone replicate the now defunct stats site on their own? Then the counters can check to see whether they are first, second or two hundred ninety-sixth, and those who don't rely on counting caches of others don't have to be constantly reminded of who's what, when, etc, each time someone makes a simple post.

I haven't been to keenpeople or whoever, but it does seem that if other proprietors are willing to do so much to "improve" GC.com, they might want to set up the stat service themselves.

The way I look at it, the avatars are a cool way of identifying who's speaking, but the stats sig, overblown and repetitive picture sigs, the dancing whatevers sigs all detract from what the speaker has to say.

I'm interested in the forums as a means of communication and information, not a showcase for computer graphics wizardry.

"All of us are standing in the mud, but some of us are looking at the stars." Oscar Wilde

I sent an email the other night to Rob over at Keenpeople due to the fact that the stat files were not showing up over here at all. At first I assumed it was just a lag somewhere. Then I went to my website and noticed that the stat files were loading normally. I had thought that perhaps that GC was putting a block on them or something. The next morning I had a reply from Rob and he said it was working fine here at GC and they were. Now with this going on, it makes me wonder if they were trying to see if they could block just those stat files...lol

I think the images in the postings should of been the first to go, before the sig lines. Normally, the files in the sig lines are much smaller in size. I think putting a cap on the size would of made a difference as well.

I see my pumpkins were noticed more than I thought. It appears they will go down in infamy! lol

Brian

www.woodsters.com

quote:
Some people can't show off all their fancy little tags and such. BOO FLIPPIN HOO!

I think the people that are complaining about the thread loading slowly should stop whining and upgrade their ISP. By the way, I never even had an image in my sig line so it doesn't really effect me. What bothers me is that the explanation that Jeremy has offered doesn't add up. I am going to take your advise on one thing though. I'm done talking about it and I'm going caching.

quote:
so precisely what issue has been addressed?

Nothing. It accomplished nothing.

mystats.php?userid=jmb&vopt=user&txtdata=%233+out+of+4&bgcol=ffffcc&fgcol=000000

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Because now I am Lost.

quote:
Originally posted by J&MBella:

I think the people that are complaining about the thread loading slowly should stop whining and upgrade their ISP.

No, the problems have been on the InfoPop/Groundspeak server end.

I forgot to mention: I'm taking wagers that avatars that consist of copyrighted images used without the express written permission of the copyright owner will be the next target of TPTB. No doubt TPTB receive hundreds of e-mail complaints about them every week from "concerned Nervous Nellies." icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:
No, the problems have been on the InfoPop/Groundspeak server end.

I haven't experienced any significant slow down. Yes when the site is extremely busy, it's slower. Not slow. I think this 'issue' has gotten more attention than was warranted.

mystats.php?userid=jmb&vopt=user&txtdata=%233+out+of+4&bgcol=ffffcc&fgcol=000000

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Because now I am Lost.

quote:
Originally posted by J&MBella:

I think the people that are complaining about the thread loading slowly should stop whining and upgrade their ISP.

Unfortunately that is not always an option. I'm stuck with dial up, unless I want to fork out the dough for satellite internet and I don't see that happening anytime soon. Cable or DSL doesn't come out to where I live. We finally broke down after about 8 months of living here and got a satellite dish (free dish, just monthly payments). The internet satellite equipment was too much, several hundred dollars then about $60 or more per month for service. Trust me I've looked at my options. I have a few websites and am online all day. I came from cable internet to this.

But, I know it's a fact of dialup if things are gonna download slow or not. I'm not worried about it. If it gets too bad, I know how to make some adjustments to make it a little faster or I can move on. Perhaps solutions that TPTB could of advised them would of been a better solution at first. Also I think it depends on the system they are on as well and what they have on their own computer as far as slowness goes. It all can't be blamed on the graphics. I know for a fact that on my system, which is a couple years old (766 mhz) that it will load things faster than the archaic one(333 mhz) that my son uses. While I agree that for customer service you should try to accomodate all. Which sometimes mean accomodating a slower user in these instances, but I think you have to look at the majority and come to middleground. Just as I can look at the stats that my site uses. I know what systems people use, the browsers, their screen size, search engines used and etc. I can loook at those statistics and decide which is better for the majority. Normally their is a strong majority, or at least only 2 strong majorities. So it makes it a simple decision of which way to go.

You receive 10 emails a day of people complaining about it out of how many users? I would bet that it's percentile is well below 1%.

Brian

www.woodsters.com

I keep reading about pi$$ing off SO MANY customers. It's just not so.

First, a very small minority read the forums, an even smaller minority actually post here. Eventually it gets down to the same 10-15 people making hundreds of posts complaining about this and that. I'm sure to THEM it looks like SO MANY people are upset. But to me, it looks like the same dozen over and over.

A dozen (or even two dozen) out of TENS OF THOUSANDS of cachers really don't amount to a hill of beans.

quote:
Originally posted by Planet:

_THANK YOU JEREMY!_ Some threads that were three pages long will now perhaps only take up one page.

If i;m understanding your statement correctly. It's not gonna make a difference in the amount of posts on a page. It's at a set number. Someone mentioned 50 per page. No matter if there were 50 pictures in every single posting, then there will still be 50 posts per page.

On the other hand I could see people getting mad and perhaps not posting as much, which would make the threads smaller...lol icon_biggrin.gif

Brian

www.woodsters.com

I have dial-up at home and T1 at work. The forums don't take any longer to load at home than they do at work. I would rather have an all-inclusive stats site like Dan's was than have to post my stats in my sig. I know many others feel this way, even more than the dozen or so emails Jeremy received about stats (er, IMAGES) in sig lines.

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darknessbandbass.gif

nm_button.gifmystats.php?userid=Team%20GPSaxophone&vopt=&txtdata=&bgcol=FFFFFF&fgcol=000000

quote:
Originally posted by geospotter:

A dozen (or even two dozen) out of TENS OF THOUSANDS of cachers really don't amount to a hill of beans.

The number of people who come here compared to those who don't is completely irrelevant mainly because the issue in no way affected them. If they never read the forums, then they don't have a problem with page response.

Also, I would dare say the more active users, the ones who are more passionate about geocaching would be some of the most vocal. No, I agree, not all of the most active are the most vocal. But it stands to reason that those who are going caching more will be more interested in all aspects of caching--these forums included. Yes, I know there are people who will not post. Yes, I know there are those who will go and complain directly to TPTB. But, quite frankly, I haven't seen the first post complaining the images were slowing people down. Hell, I have a decently fast cable connect and I have poor response from the forums.

Believe me, I wouldn't be complaining if I thought the "reasons" this happened were the truth. I stand behind my arguement that the reasons given for removing the images are a red herring.

CR

Sissy-n-CR

Be sure to visit: KeenPeople · Open Caching · Buxley's Maps · Navìcache.com

Just went and did an experiment.

I turned off images in my browser, cleared the browser's cache, and went surfing around these forums. Then I went back, turned on images, cleared the cache, and revisited some of the same pages.

Conclusion, yes, it takes a little longer to completely render the page, but that's because the browser isn't asking for the images. The response time didn't appear any different at all.

So, basically, TPTB removed an element of the forum pages that have nothing to do with the responsiveness of the page.

Makes perfect sense to me! icon_rolleyes.gif

CR

Sissy-n-CR

quote:
Originally posted by Planet:

Stats Schmats,it's not about the numbers.

And the discussion is not about stats - it's about being able to use images in our signatures.

The problem boils down to this. Jeremy unilaterally decided, for personal, not technical or business reasons, to remove yet another function of the website that people used and enjoyed.

Locationless, virtuals, .sig images... What's next? Urban micros? If there was an alternative to gc.com, we could vote with our feet, but since (as of now) there is not, we're stuck with the decisions that one person makes based on his, and only his, emotions. It's pretty scary if you think about it. He could get upset one day and just pull the plug on the whole shebang.

The fact that he's making decisions that affect the functionality of the site based on emotion is a Very Bad Thing. Whether you care about .sig images or not, it should disturb you that he's making these kinds of choices and then lying about them to his customer base.

--

Pehmva!

[sTATS IMAGE REMOVED BY OVERBEARING ADMINS]

Random quote:

[RANDOM QUOTE IMAGE REMOVED BY OVERBEARING ADMINS]

quote:

Makes perfect sense to me!

Not to me. With all of the calls to the other site for information the response of THIS site is now dependent on the response of the OTHER site. Unless I'm missing something, Jeremy can work his butt off trying to improve the response time here only to have his efforts damaged by calls to other, less responsive sites.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):

With great disappointment, we have removed the use of p><p>Profiles were created to allow you to express yourself. Please do so there. If you want to add text sig lines, feel free, but don

Thanks,

http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/6/ws/emoticons/signal/smile.gif' alt='smile.gif'> Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

Gee I see 3 reasons that Jeremy gave.

1:Slow download times on modems,

2:distracting sig lines that affect the ongoing conversations,

3:and responses being more signature line than response.

And yet it seems that the majority of the cry-babys are only complaining about #1 as if it were the only reason given. To me #'s 2 and 3 are a more important reason to get rid of the

Lapaglia http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif' alt='icon_cool.gif'>

Muga Muchu (forget yourself, focus)

quote:

quote:

Makes perfect sense to me!

Not to me. With all of the calls to the other site for information the response of THIS site is now dependent on the response of the OTHER site. Unless I'm missing something, Jeremy can work his butt off trying to improve the response time here only to have his efforts damaged by calls to other, less responsive sites.

I think you're misunderstanding how the client-server model works in relation to HTTP.

Every web server works independantly of every other web server in the world. The client (your browser) requests a document from a server (gc.com), then serves that document (HTML page) to the client. The client then renders that page. If the HTML contains references to graphics, the client makes separate, individual requests for each graphic. If two graphics are located on gc.com, it makes those two requests. If another one is located on, say, keenpeople.com, it makes that request. Once it retrieves a graphic, it renders it and puts it where it's supposed to be.

As you can see, the response time for any other site has nothing to do with this one. If your browser isn't rendering the page until it's loaded all the graphics, then it's a design flaw in your browser (try Opera). If your PC is taking too long to render all the graphics once the browser has retrieved them, then it's your PC that's at fault and you should take action to remedy the problem.

Regardless of what the source of a slowdown is for an individual surfer, inline images loaded from other servers does not affect the response time of another server in any way.

--

Pehmva!

[sTATS IMAGE REMOVED BY OVERBEARING ADMINS]

Random quote:

[RANDOM QUOTE IMAGE REMOVED BY OVERBEARING ADMINS]

quote:
Originally posted by Lapaglia:

1 - Slow download times on modems is a red herring. It's the server response that's the problem

2 - So, my little sig line graphic was distracting? I think not. By far, most sig graphics were perfactly fine. Hell, most of the time they were cached in your browser cache so there was NO download time.

If there was a problem with a sig line a moderator could have emailed the offender and had them remove it.

Instead, we have a supposedly silent majority--who haven't ever publicly complained about everyone's signature graphics slowing things--ruling the roost.

3 - Most people's avatars are larger than one or two lines copy. Is that a legitimate reason to do away with those, as well?

You can still have huge sig lines without images so this, too, is a red herring.

CR

Sissy-n-CR

quote:
Originally posted by Lapaglia:

Gee I see 3 reasons that Jeremy gave.

And yet it seems that the majority of the cry-babys are only complaining about #1 as if it were the only reason given. To me #'s 2 and 3 are a more important reason to get rid of the

Perhaps you are the person who can explain to me how those issues have been addressed since any user can still append those same image tags to the bottom of the body of their logs? In effect, nothing at all has changed ... unless the moderators have been charged with editing all the "offending" image tags out of the body of every message. I suppose that's one way to utilize the special skills of CO Admin. http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif' alt='icon_wink.gif'>

quote:
Originally posted by Cruzin!:

Regardless of what the source of a slowdown is for an individual surfer, inline images loaded from other servers does not affect the response time of another server in any way.

I believe what they meant was that the page load times as a whole were slow because the response from other servers in getting the graphics from those servers was slow. Therefore, the page that Jeremy is trying to serve (this one) will load slower _as a whole_. Without the extra images, the page should load faster because there's less reliance on retrieval of images from other servers to finish rendering the entire page correctly.

I'm not sure I buy it though, because ubbx.Groundspeak.com is still timing out while serving me the mini-images in this Post a Reply window and I now have 3 missing graphics in their tool row. This window didn't time out due to any other server...so....

--

http://magazine.audubon.org/features0101/goodwood.html

quote:

It may not affect the server's performance (and thank you for your explanation), but it DOES affect virtually every client. The end result is the same -- for the page to display a call to another server must be made.

One thing Cruzin! forgot in his excellent explaination is the fact your browser first checks you local cache to see it already has access to the image before going out and getting it. A good portion of the time, it doesn't have to go out and get the image because most sig line graphics are static and don't have to be repeatedly downloaded.

I'll be willing to bet most people can go to there web cache and find my sig graphic. No need to download it, at all.

CR

Sissy-n-CR

CR, good point out on the avatar thing. For instance, no offense, but look at the size of Bloencustoms avatar. The heigth actually. No matter if he typed in "yes" as a response, his posting is gonna be that large no matter what. Not picking on his, but his was on the immediate page and was longer than most. There are others out there with larger avatars. I agree that there shouldn't be a large image in the signature, but I think smaller ones like the associations and the stats ones were fine. Even a standard banner size of 468x60, should not make too much difference as long as the file size is kept to an acceptable amount. Also it includes the avatars as well. I;m not sure what the size limit is that they have on here for avatars is, but normally they are at a set amount. One software I know of makes them inititally 64x64 in size. I changed it to 100x100 to allow a little more size as the 64 was a bit small. Combine that with fewer posts per page and it could work just fine and quicker too. If that is the reason behind it all.

Brian

www.woodsters.com

I've just scanned the four pages of this thread and I can't find something (I may have missed it). There is a lot of discussion/complaining about the removal of the images, but I can't find anyone posting a good reason why they should remain (carleenp's #1 came close).

Before you post a "it tells everyone a little something about me" reply, if you want me to know something about you in a discussion please post something more definitive, like your IQ.

And let's not forget, you can still post your sig images in your profile.

quote:

You know, it's funny that the people who are applauding the removal of graphic sig lines aren't doing their part and removing their avatars, too. If my little sig graphic was so bad, then the avatars have to go as well.

Hmmm? How about it?

I'm not sure I understand your logic here. The Avatars stand off to the side and mind their own business, they don't clutter up the discussion portion of the thread.

If your point is in reference to the use of bandwidth and such, well, I guess you might have a point there.

But you have to remember, if we didn't have the avatars then we couldn't have had that GREAT competition the El Diablo had going on for one of his famous hiking sticks.

"Sometimes you are a very large fool Perrin Aybara. Quite often in fact." Annoura Sedai (Book Nine of The WoT)

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

Don't most people have their browsers set up to purge any caches/cookies/temp files after every session?

Most are saved in the 'Temporary Internet Files' on your hard drive. You have to manually purge them, or I think the default on IE is to purge items more than 20 days old. As long as you visit every 19 days, they will still be cached on your computer.

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darknessbandbass.gif

nm_button.gifmystats.php?userid=Team%20GPSaxophone&vopt=&txtdata=&bgcol=FFFFFF&fgcol=000000

quote:
Originally posted by Perrin:

But you have to remember, if we didn't have the avatars then we couldn't have had that GREAT competition the El Diablo had going on for one of his famous hiking sticks.

"Sometimes you are a very large fool Perrin Aybara. Quite often in fact." Annoura Sedai (Book Nine of The WoT)

I also have in the works a contest for sig lines coming up in a month or two. Thankfully they won't be cluttered with graphics.

Especially those pumpkins of Woodsters! icon_biggrin.gif

El Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

http://www.geo-hikingstick.com

quote:

...Unless I'm missing something, Jeremy can work his butt off trying to improve the response time here only to have his efforts damaged by calls to other, less responsive sites.

Then a solution is to allow images that are on this site. That would preclude certain things from being displayed like random quotes and stats but allow things like a Pikachu.

quote:
Originally posted by geospotter: And let's not forget, you can still post your sig images in your profile.

And from another thread:

Originally posted by Bloencustoms:

I think it would be fine to have the stats banner on your profile page, that way there won't be a lag issue loading forum pages. Anyone who cares what your stats are will look there anyway.

Thanks to both of you, I did exactly that.

Remember, wherever you go- there you are!

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

Most are saved in the 'Temporary Internet Files' on your hard drive. You have to manually purge them

These things are saved in several places, including "cookie" folders, the "temp" folder, "temporary internet" folder and "local folderstemporary internet," among other places and depending on your browser, ISP and operating system. As I said, my browser is set to purge itself after every session.

quote:

I keep reading about pi$$ing off SO MANY customers. It's just not so.

First, a very small minority read the forums, an even smaller minority actually post here. Eventually it gets down to the same 10-15 people making hundreds of posts complaining about this and that. I'm sure to THEM it looks like SO MANY people are upset. But to me, it looks like the same dozen over and over.

Yup.

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures and Here (newest)

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

quote:

...Unless I'm missing something, Jeremy can work his butt off trying to improve the response time here only to have his efforts damaged by calls to other, less responsive sites.

Then a solution is to allow images that are on this site. That would preclude certain things from being displayed like random quotes and stats but allow things like a Pikachu.

I was going to suggest this very thing, but RK beat me to it. Allowing images from GC.com would get ride of the stats banners (or any created-on-the-fly images) while still allowing people to have banners for their regional groups, etc.

Let's face it. The stats banners were the only reason this was done. Images in sig lines have been allowed for a long time now. They're not "suddenly" causing a slowdown. And remember, regardless of how many times an image is displayed, your PC only has to download it once. Then it's stored in your local cache. Your browser won't even attempt to download it again.

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

quote:
Originally posted by Woodsters Outdoors:

For instance, no offense, but look at the size of Bloencustoms avatar. The heigth actually. Not picking on his, but his was on the immediate page and was longer than most.

I suppose size does matter. Avatar envy, anyone. icon_biggrin.gif

[This message was edited by Bloencustoms on March 32, 1999 at 25:60 PM]