How did this get approved????

WaspMan

Clearly, he's referring to the Groundspeak forums.

They have nothing at all to do with geocaching, but since Groundspeak owns both websites, approval was pretty much guaranteed from the start.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Well the mountain was so beautiful that this guy built a mall and a pizza shack

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back -- Dar Williams

Commercial Caches / Caches that Solicit

What is a commercial cache? A commercial use of the web site cache reporting tool is an direct or indirect (either intentional or non-intentional) attempt to solicit customers through a geocaching.com listing. Examples include for-profit locations that require an entrance fee, or locations that sell products or services.

Solicitations are also off-limits. For example, caches perceived to be posted for religious, political, or social agendas will not be listed. Geocaching is supposed to be a light, fun activity, not a platform for an agenda.

Some exceptions can be made for certain cache types (e.g. locationless) In these situations, permission can be given by the geocaching.com web site. However, permission should be asked first before posting. If you are in doubt, ask first.

----------------------------

My guess would be they checked about and got (probably for a fee) an exception to the 'commercial cache' ban

Nothing to see here, move along.

quote:
Originally posted by Stunod:

This would be better posted at a VW site, not here. Just like the "official" line on those Ham Radio events.

http://208.55.63.109/images/homer.gif

__"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."__

I guess I'm missing something, or reading a different cache page then you.

I see an event that requires a gps, and involves using said gps to find geocaches. It promotes geocaching. Without gps and geocaches, the event would not exist.

Field day is a totally non-gps related event. It has nothing to do with geocaching, and is intended to promote ham radio. It has gone on for decades before there was even such a thing as a gps. If you took away every single gps from every single ham in the world, and archived every single geocache in the world, field day would still happen exactly the same as it has every other year. Not one ham would notice a difference, because geocaching has nothing to do with field day.

So tell me again how a VW sponsored GEOCACHING event is the same as Field day?

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

I see it as a VW event that happens to includes caching. Limiting it to 36 people?? Limiting it to only people who own VW's??

Don't get me wrong...I didn't support the Ham event either...

homer.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."

I loves my geocaching, but if driving around Seattle in a VW geocaching is the "adventure of your life" as it says in the clue, you need to get out more.

That said, who cares? It has something to do with geocaching - they are all going geocaching.

They aren't trying to sell you a VW, they are VW owners (ewww... If I owned a VW I'd try to hide it, not join a club).

Insert pretentious quote or saying here.

quote:
Originally posted by Rothstafari:

This cache and cache description have been revised to better reflect the nature of this authorized commercial geocaching event.

Happy Geocaching!

Sincerely,

frog.gif Rothstafari

Groundspeak

If you all look at the profile of the cache placer you wouldn't have any questions about this event cache. Like Roth stated. It's commercial and approved

Here's a peek for you

Profile for CEO & The BigKid (bigkid)

Charter Member since June, 2001

Email this user

Alternate email: bigNOSPAMkid@playtimeinc.com

Caches Found/Hidden: 43/22

Travel Bugs Owned/Found: 15/6

Benchmarks Found: 0

User's home page

Background:

I'm the CEO of PlayTime Inc., the Official Geocaching Corporate Team Building and Event Provider! PlayTime Inc. creates life-changing adventures, infusing team and leadership skills through technology and adventure.

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

====================================

quote:

I see it as a VW event that happens to includes caching. Limiting it to 36 people?? Limiting it to only people who own VW's??

Don't get me wrong...I didn't support the Ham event either...

I'm guessing you didn't actually look at the page the event links to:

quote:

Imagine going on an all-day, adult-sized treasure hunt with your Volkswagen as you explore exciting Seattle sites with a GPS (Global Positioning System) receiver.

Volkswagen is inviting a select few owners to experience the latest craze in outdoor adventure-geocaching (www.geocaching.com).

See the difference? It's an event about geocaching, promoting geocaching.

Posting a field day event would be about ham radio, to promote ham radio.

And don't get me wrong, I've been involved with ham radio for about 20yrs more then I have been involved in geocaching. I've worked lots of field days, and they are great for raising public awareness about ham radio, especially in emergencies. Every ham in my area is proud of the work we did after Sept. 11th, when almost every other form of communication in the NYC area was crippled EXCEPT for ham radio, mainly because field day prepares us to operate under such conditions. That still doesn't make it a geocaching event

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:

And I guess requiring a VW to participate is just like requiring SCUBA gear for diving caches?

http://208.55.63.109/images/homer.gif

__"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."__

Well, I DO see it as commercial, but thats been addressed. I also think since it appears to be aimed at promoting geocaching to VW owners, it should be promoted somewhere other then here. The people seeing it posted here already know about geocaching. I would have posted the event cache after the event, to allow the paticipants to log onto the site and log their 1st geocaches. But thats just me, I don't know anything more then I read on the websites. And I have zero say in how either website is run.

I don't think a VW only geocaching oriented event is any different then the local event this weekend that requires you to backpack into the location, or the "hydro-event" I'm planning for later in the summer that will require a canoe or kayak. The focus is still geocaching, which if I had any say in the matter would be what determines if it's posted here or not

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

I also think since it appears to be aimed at promoting geocaching to VW owners, it should be promoted somewhere other then here. The people seeing it posted here already know about geocaching.

My point EXACTLY...didn't I say that earlier? icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

I don't think a VW only geocaching oriented event is any different then the local event this weekend that requires you to backpack into the location, or the "hydro-event" I'm planning for later in the summer that will require a canoe or kayak.

Requiring a CAR would be the same as requiring a canoe or kayak. Saying it must be a VW would be like requiring a particular BRAND of boat. You're not doing that, are you?

homer.gif

Stunod, I think we are wandering here. The commercial aspect of requiring a VW is explained and allowed by TPTB.

Your comparison to the field day event caches is something totally different. You're comparing a commercial geocaching event to a non-commercial, but non-geocaching related event.

One was posted after first getting permission from the owners of this website, while the other seems like at least some are an attempt to force this website to publish something the don't want to (the other threads mention some hams epeatedly submitting the same event over and over many times, each time having it declined).

Two totally different things, and really not related in any way I can see.

Let's just forget about the whole commercial aspect. I seem to remember that TPTB stated early on that commercial endeavors will be approved at the will of the site. This does not seem to be that big of a deal to me.

The worst thing that has happened is that a cache that cannot be claimed will appear for a limited time on the closest list of some people.

I was hoping Mopar would go through with the cache for his car club (mentioned in the other thread). I'd rather see a bunch of classic muscle cars chasing caches than yuppie VW's! icon_wink.gif

BTW...which one of the pics is your set of wheels?

homer.gif

<planting tongue in cheek>

Yeah, and why do VW ads say 'Drivers Wanted' ?

Cuz the ones they have can't drive! icon_razz.gif And I'm talking any ones from Bugs up to the squashed down Bugs (I think they call 'em porches? icon_wink.gif )

<removing tongue from cheek>

Might just be a BC thing where hardly ANYBODY can drive (unless they're from somewhere else, usually east of here)!

As far as the event goes, I think it's OK, cuz it DOES promote caching. I guess how you get there matters not, as long as you get there (albeit a little more slowly in a VW icon_wink.gif ) Long live General Motors!! icon_biggrin.gif

Real cachers don't smell like Fleecy.

Since geocaching.com is partnered with Playtime who provides this sort of thing, I don't see it as a problem. I'm sure that they would be willing to strike other similar deals.

Also, I wouldn't compare this to the field day cache controversy. It's obvious that they should have both been approved or both been archived. You can't have both co-exist and state with a straight face that everything is on a level playing field around here.

Seems a bit commercial to me. And unfair, in some ways, that are not in keeping with geocaching guidelines. ie: Limit 36 people, must be VW owner. If you aren't a VW owner just forward to someone who is. I mean it sounds like a nice party and all, but a bit too exclusive for my taste, and my Subaru thinks so too. I'd be interested in seeing how many are coming, and what kind of advertizing VW does for it.

Cache you later,

Planet

So many caches, so little time.

Ok, there is something I don't understand.

WHY are some of you SO bent out of shape?

Whats the big deal. Did someone pass a law that says that Geocaching is no longer supposed to be a fun sport???

Relax, get your GPS and go caching. Don't sweat the small stuff. (hint, this thread is small stuff)

Michael

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif

Muga Muchu (forget yourself, focus)

quote:
Originally posted by Lapaglia:

Whats the big deal. Did someone pass a law that says that Geocaching is no longer supposed to be a fun sport???

That law was passed a long time ago, before I started, thats why I hate this "sport", its no fun.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________

Caching without a clue....

Some veteran geocachers might remember the Project A.P.E caches. Totally commercial and a lot of fun for the people who looked for them. They were approved by this website, simply because they can.

This is a commercial venture, gang. THEY can approve any commercial cache they want, because they own the site and need to make a few $$$ to keep it going.

In a way, it's like my old employer. They could sell you insurance at your desk (it was a major insurance co.), bring in vendors to sell you clothing, food, whatever..., but employees couldn't sell Girl Scout cookies, or solicit for charities on the grounds.

But hey, it was their company and their rules. Same here. If you don't like it, go to another site, or start your own.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

I guess my point is that it should be open to all cachers regardless of whether they own a VW or not. You would think VW would want to target the ones who have not yet purchased one of their products. Ya think? How about those of us who used to drive a VW? I've had a Rabbit, and a Squareback and practically my whole family had a bug at one time or another. Did you know you can fit 12 small ice skaters in a 1966 VW Bug? Three in front (one on a lap) 6 in the back (3 on laps) and 3 little ones way back in the well (I never said it was comfortable).

Cache you later,

Planet

So many caches, so little time.

Who cares? If a group of people want to have an event tailored to their specific interest, so what? Why should they open it up to people that don't share their specific interest? Do you really want to go to an event that is about something that you're not really interested in? It's really not going to cause me to lose any sleep. And I certainly don't care if they don't invite me to attend. There's lots of other things that I can be doing.

Why all the fuss here?

Would folks have a problem if this event was sponsored by Garmin (or Magellan?) The way I see it, this is exactly the kind of sponsorship we want, that is, approved by TPTB.(via Playtime) It uses gps, it looks like it might be fun. It sounds kind of like a road rally, and is probably well organized.

Lets wait untill after the event and see what it was like before trashing it.

by the way, since I live in Tulsa there is NO Way I can attend (sniff)

Swanlakers

O.K., VW's, GPSr's, ham radios. No problem. It appears I am the only one here with enough intelligence to ask the only really important question. The issue that truly needs to be addressed. What part of the pig, excatly, do they make ham radios out of anyway? icon_wink.gif They should put those radios in airplanes, cuz in every "plane crash in the mountains" movie I've ever seen the radio won't work anyway and they have no food. O.K., I know it's a lame attempt at humor in a post that apparently has some folks worked up enough to go torch the neighbors Jetta. Sue me. Flame me. Make me drive a Volkswagen.

someday we'll look back on all this and plow into a parked car.