Which forum member would you most like to meet?

Geo Quest

This thread was started as a companion to the "most influential member" thread.

Personally, I'd like to meet Criminal because I share a lot of his opinions. And Fractal because he came up with the Contact Cache and seems like a great guy.

I'd also like to meet Precocious #9 because she found a 4.5/5 cache that I searched in vain for on two different occasions. Even after she e-mailed a hint I still couldn't find it!

Note: You can't say "Mitsuko" or whatever her name was.

"Wise men talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something."

-- Plato

[This message was edited by Geo Quest on December 18, 2002 at 11:11 PM.]

Night Sky

Failing that... Markwell is a guy I'd like to meet. We've exchanged a couple of emails in the past, and he seems like a pretty good fella.

I've been down in Buck8Point's territory a couple of times, but we've not been able to meet up.

And certainly a few others, but those three come to mind right away.

Jamie

I've made lots of friends here over the last 15 months. Some I've met, some I've talked to on the phone, some I've only chatted with here or in the chatroom. I still consider them all friends, and hopefully will someday get the chance to find a cache and have a beer (rootbeer in ClayJar's case!) with each and every one of them.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

I'd vote for Majicman only because he's so completely odd. After that, everybody. It doesn't matter that some have opinions differnt than me, I can overlook their shortcomings. icon_wink.gif

I was in FL last weekend and ran into Team Flamingo, the first thing I thought of was "I wonder if they are PO'd about something I've posted?" Don't want to get into a fistfight with a husband/wife team... icon_eek.gif

But my vote is any/everybody.

BTW Geo Quest, You're only a couple hours south. I'm trying to make it out for TravisL's Bremerton Cache Machine on the 28th.

So far, we've met only 3 folks while Geocaching - the most recent, being "George" of GeorgeandMary.

Each time, it was pleasant. (although we had a friend who was in a cranky mood with us when meeting George, so I don't know how happy George was to meet *us* - our friend was cranky throughout much of the short conversation!)

We'd be happy to meet just about any of the forum regulars.

-J

I have met numerous people in person that I met online first. Actually before the internet was in everyone's home I ran a BBS and visited numerous others.

99% of the people I met were nice, intelligent, passionate and we shared a common interest. It may have been a BBS, Sailing, Volkswagens, Sci-Fi or whatever. icon_biggrin.gif

Fair winds, Capn Skully

That leaves ------everyone else.

My next goal is to find brdad's new cache (when it's hidden) and meet up with him. That is if he can make the daylong trek into town.

Lap and Lep (of course)

Eagleflyby (soon, we'll go caching soon)

CT Trampers (they live close, it's an obtainable goal)

umc (to save on the shipping costs - inside joke)

I'd like to meet them all from A to Z, Acceptable Risk (I want to give him a clock for the wall) all the way to Zartimus (in the daytime, no superhero stuff)

There are way too many to mention!

Cache you later,

Planet

"To err is human, to forgive....$5.00"

Fallenfaery, Cachew Nut, Clayjar, Jeepster - oh wait. I've already met them. icon_biggrin.gif

Romper Bomper Stomper Boo, Tell me, Tell me Tell me Do....Magic Mirror, tell me today, did all my friends have fun at play?

I like to see Centaur, Jeremy, Mopar, Eric O'Connor, BruceS, CYBret, Warm Fuzzies, JiminiminiminyZ ( icon_wink.gif ), and many others.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

[This message was edited by Markwell on December 19, 2002 at 09:51 AM.]

I like meeting all the cachers. I have met many in my travels so far, and would like to meet them all. The top of my list would be Markwell. He has been helpful to me, since I'm not a big puter person. ( I will be in Chicago in March, towards the end of the month) icon_biggrin.gif

My wife says put a coordinate on it and I'll find it.

I've met ClayJar. We did breakfast one morning before he headed up to the picnic in Chicago. I think he's the only forum regular that I've actually met.

The other cachers I've met in the field and at meetings are blissfully ignorant of the forums . . and that's just fine by me. icon_biggrin.gif

I'm guessing that chances are I'll get to meet Markwell, Cachew Nut, Jeepster and a few other Illinois posters sooner or later. I keep missing opportunities to meet BruceS (not that I could keep up), but my cousins have met him, so that should count for something.

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

Hmmm... Ill be happy to meet up with any cacher in the area. Twice if I like them. icon_wink.gif

Been trying to meet up with Markwell, but he wont come north of 41 Deg. Crummy south sider. icon_wink.gif

(Just kidding) icon_smile.gif

It will be fun to go to the next Chicago Picknic. We had a great time at the Capture the Flag event of late. It was a great group of people.

66427_2800.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

quote:
Originally posted by Centaur:

Been trying to meet up with Markwell, but he wont come north of 41 Deg. Crummy south sider. icon_wink.gif

That would be N42° icon_wink.gif

Yeah, even I'm north of N41°.

I've actually met some forum members. GeoStars, Enos Shenk, Zuck, and probably others I'm forgetting. If I had to name names of the ones I want to meet, though, it'd be a who's who of the folks who hang out in #geocache during the day - ClayJar, Mopar, brdad, Beckerbuns, dboggny, Planet, Marty Fouts, Dru Morgan, and many more. But really, just meeting geocachers is a lot of fun, forum regulars or not. I'll take what I can get.

warm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by CYBret:

The other cachers I've met in the field and at meetings are blissfully ignorant of the forums . . and that's just fine by me. icon_biggrin.gif

Hehe... I've noticed this too. Funny, since the few times I've met other cachers, aside from caching stories, I like to talk about recent events in the forums (Mitsuko, for instance) and most of 'em have no idea what I mean. In fact, most people weren't very amused at the Mitsuko tattoo I wore to the last geo-get-together.

I guess I'd like to meet Choberiba too.. just to see what makes the guy tick.

Jamie

It would be nice to meet some of the regulars in the chat room. I especially think it would be a treat to go on a cache hunt with umc.

I've been to two local events so far, and met a good number of local geocachers, and some distant ones too like Clayjar and Trudy and the Beast. It would be nice to meet the locals I haven't met yet, and even those I have, again.

Centaur, I've met Markwell on the north side during last years picnic. Maybe you'll get the chance too if it's held in the same location.

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

I've been down in Buck8Point's territory a couple of times, but we've not been able to meet up.

Im Real sorry bout that too JamieZ.

I have been looking forward to meeting the adventurer, and mastermind behind PaterQuest.

I think we probably have a lot in common.

Maybe you can make it to our next GeoGathering/Campout sometime in the Beginning of February. Im sure there are more folks down here that would like to meet you as well..

Buck8Point

Buck8Point

-------------------------

If I can't Fix it, It's Definately Broke.

Ive been fortunate to meet some great Cachers in Texas and Louisiana. Clayjar and Buck8Point are two of several over to the east of us that are just darn good people! Its been a real pleasure meeting Team Troglodyte, TerraTrekkers, USMorrows and others over towards Houston as well. Oh shoot, lets not forget some of the local cachers too! Gangray got me started when i saw an article in the newspaper about GeoCaching back in March and Babslover certainly keeps us on our toes around here icon_wink.gif.

Of course im with others above and will say that getting to meet everyone would be great icon_smile.gif. We all have our ways and differences but for the most part we are all after one goal. That is just another aspect that makes GeoCaching so much fun!

quote:
Originally posted by bitbrain:

You still got that "dreaming of Mit__ko" avatar around?

Uh huh. (That's in the positive) but it's retired.

And come to think of it, I may want to meet Leatherneck on my next trip through Mississippi when I take over the state lead again. icon_wink.gif

Jamie

I've met JamieZ. In fact, I helped furnish his apartment icon_wink.gif Great guy. Still looking forward to doing a paddle some time. Don't know if I could swing the Yukon though.

I bumped into ClayJar over a year ago and we combined for a first find of a now archived cache. He was already a forum legend way back when icon_wink.gif

Jeremy and Elias in New Orleans for a conference. Nothing like a geogathering at Pat O'briens!

And of course there's the other gatherings... Buck8Point, Alex and Katie, pizzachef, Sabaharr, (who'd I forget?) All great folks!

Trudy & I have gone to a few GeoEvents during the past year and had the opportunity to meet bunches of geocachers there. We have also met a few on the trails. Meeting cachers on the trails is a particular treat for me.. I don't get out much. I think Trudy would agree with me that we have never met a cacher we didn't like. We have enjoyed the opportunity to talk with every one of them.

I especially like newbies [with a little salt and pepper].

quote:
Originally posted by rpecot:

I helped furnish his apartment

Uh oh. Bad news, Russell. After I returned from that trip, I put the table in a friends garage until I got my apartment straightened out.. plus I planned to give the table a good sanding and maybe a coat of paint. Well, a couple weeks ago I went over to his house to do the work and pick up the table; it was gone. icon_frown.gif I'm not quite sure what happened. When I asked... he just chuckled and told me he didn't have it anymore. I never did get the story straight.

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

OK, I'd really like to meet Scotty151 so I can punch his dumb nose down his even dumber throat.

OK, I'll bite, who is "Scotty151"?

+ _Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon. _

Yikes! I'm putting a post-it note right on my computer that says, "DON'T INSULT BRIANSNAT!!"

Don't want to get on his bad side.... icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

Romper Bomper Stomper Boo, Tell me, Tell me Tell me Do....Magic Mirror, tell me today, did all my friends have fun at play?

My brother was on Romper Room!

Is that from that show?

Cache you later,

Planet

"To err is human, to forgive....$5.00"

Well, let's see, we have met Bufford, KF Quad Explorers, bvgps, sprintgirl, Seesthewind & Redwoodmama, ouzels-r-we, skibowler & dogmom, Uncle Alaska, Elifish, Sar22, Rahndo & buggs, Team Sagefox, The Gollywogs, Geo John, OtherScott, Double Trouble & The Wildman of Humboldt, CA, and Redwoodred and Steak-N-Eggs.

However, someday, we would like to travel to the Emerald City and meet Iryshe (a.k.a. Jeremy), and at sometime also meet Ron Streeter, a Web page designer extraordinaire!

"Edison Medicine": Anything that brightens your day is a good thing!

NCFLYERS - The Double J's of Fortuna, CA icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Planet:

My brother was on Romper Room! Is that from that show?

As I remember it, yes. Apparently upon researching, Romper Room was different for different cities. It was not a national show - but more like a franchise show.

The show ended each day with that quote and the teacher-for-that-city looking through a mirror that was a only frame and after that inane rhyme, she would start listing off names: "I see Billy and Fred, Peter, and Dianne and Betty..." - using common names, mostly. Young ones watched intently to see if she would "see them" in her magic mirror.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

quote:
The show ended each day with that quote and the teacher-for-that-city looking through a mirror that was a only frame and after that inane rhyme, she would start listing off names: "I see Billy and Fred, Peter, and Dianne and Betty..." - using common names, mostly. Young ones watched intently to see if she would "see them" in her magic mirror.

I remember listening for my name, but almost never heard it because it wasn't that popular back then.

Nowadays she'd have to say "I see Brittany and Jason and Jared and Jessica and Taylor and Tyler and Logan and Alexis and Hannah and Meagan and ...

What ever happened to John, Mike, Bob, Joe, Mary, Ann, Beth, Kathy and Larry?

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" - Abraham Lincoln

I've met ClayJar, Web-Ling and clan, Brokenwing and T-Storm and clan, GeoVamp (One I really needed to meet in person), and most other local DFW cachers.

I'd like to meet Fractal for his genius, and Oregone for a day of quips that would last a year down here in Texas. I'd also like to meet Eric O'Connor over some sushi and Sapporo Ichiban.

I'll be in North Carolina next week. Would love to meet Hawkeye. Any of you NC'ers wanna get together after Christmas?

Will also go caching in VA, and TN if the timing works out.

Too many more to list. Like the flying postal workers of Canada (heck, I'd like to meet all the geopilots), Buck8Point (only if we're gonna meet on the same side of his huntin' rifle), Steak & Red (Just 'cause they seem friendly enough to give me steak and eggs if I stop by - am I being too presumptuous? icon_biggrin.gif )

---------------

burnout.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

[This message was edited by VentureForth on December 21, 2002 at 11:09 AM.]

I'd like to meet kablooey. Oh, wait, I already have. No, I'd like to meet Marty Fouts. Wait, I already have. Okay, then, I want to meet Choberiba/Eric_O. Wait -- I did already!

Okay, then, my list also includes those #geocache people... wf_fuzzy, planet, Mopar (with whom I have spoken on the phone), DruMorgan (also talked to him on the phone), mtn-man (he was in my hometown and visited one of my caches but I didn't get to meet him), ClayJar, RobAGD. And yes, even umc. I know there are others that I can't think of right now. Oh... And I'd love to meet Jeremy himself. He's not too far away so that's not a completely unobtainable goal. Jeremy, want to come to a California geopicnic sometime???

-------------------------------------

Becky Davis

San Jose, CA

How many geocachers can you fit into an ammo box?

Hmmm...lots of interesting people on forums here to meet, and most people writing here seem to be US citizens. It would be nice to meet at least Mike from Texas and Dinoprophet from Michigan, since I've talked to both of them via e-mail. And of course Lazyboy & Mitey Mite, since I'd really want to visit a place called Butte Falls icon_wink.gif

But who I really would like to meet face to face is Jamie, 'cause I'd like to see if he resembles in real life the character called Normal in the show Dark Angel as much as it looks like in his avatar picture icon_biggrin.gif (Well, to be honest, the guy in the picture on the profile page doesn't look like Normal at all icon_wink.gif)

Anyway, happy holidays for everyone I've been lucky to run across during this short time of geocaching I've gone in for. And for everyone else too, of course icon_smile.gif Leaving for Thailand tomorrow and hoping to find at least one geocache there icon_cool.gif

- All you need is a sick mind and a healthy body.