The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Thanks all for the congrats. It has been, and will continue to be, wonderful. Any chance that any of the Moun10Bike coins might make it to the Geocoin event at Oggies this Sunday. Even if Hubby can't go because of work (As usual) wifey and Flutter are hoping to make it there. It will be nice to see everyone again. <_< btw - we were just at the mall tonight and saw this new store!

Cache_Store.jpg

Well, Happy Cache-iversary to Me!

I can't believe it's been a whole year since my brother said, "Have you ever heard of geocaching?" I replied in the negative, he told me what it was, pulled out a cache page and sat photo, and we found Spooky Hill.

My life hasn't been the same since. I've met wonderful people, corresponded with more of the same, been to places I never knew existed, learned how frustrating puzzles can be, learned how much fun frustrating others can be, improved my health, got on the local news, and finally found a reason to put the QDmobile in 4WD mode.

I can't wait to see what the next year has in store. Thanks, everybody!  :D

Congratulations, QDman! :P I would like to say "Ditto" to most everything you wrote -- well, except for the puzzle part -- <_< -- and the "getting on the local news part," :D and the 4WD Cachemobile part :blink: -- on the event of my own Cache-iversary, today, January 17.

I put out a cache along the Hollenbeck Canyon trail I took one year ago today to find Pathfinder and Snoopy's "Hollenbeck Canyon Cache."

Thanks to everyone in this great community for playing a very big part in literally changing my life! :P

For those that might be interested in Space/Rockets, we have a very important launch scheduled for tomorrow.  We will be launching NASAs New Horizons spacecraft form Cape Canaveral tomorrow (hopefully) on its way to Pluto.  This is the first ever mission to Pluto, our farthest planet.  Here are some interesting facts:

- This will be the the most powerful Atlas rocket ever launched employing 5 "strap on" solid rocket motors.

- The New Horizons spacecraft will be the fastest thing to ever leave the earth, traveling at 36,000 miles per hour.  It will pass the moon in 9 hours (It took Apollo 3 days).

- It will take New Horizons 9 years to get to Pluto at a distance of 3.1 billion miles.

- New Horizons will have to "slingshot" around Jupiter to get the extra speed to make it to Pluto in 9 years.

- The spacecraft will have a 5 month fly-by of Pluto, taking data on the way past.  It won't have enough energy to go into orbit around Pluto. 

- After leaving Pluto, the spacecraft will explore Kuiper Belt beyond Pluto.

You can read details of the mission here starting on page 4.  If you are interested in the launch, you can read the Mission Status here.  And if you want to watch the launch live, you can do so here (click on the "View Webcast" button on the right side of the page).  The launch window opens up around 10:24 am and closes around 12:24 pm Pacific Time.

Go Atlas - Go Centaur

Edit:  There is a lot of good stuff on the NASA Page also.

And, don't forget to check out Tiffany Nail<_<

Ironically the spacecraft will be powered by 24 pounds of Plutonium!

For those that might be interested in Space/Rockets, we have a very important launch scheduled for tomorrow.  We will be launching NASAs New Horizons spacecraft form Cape Canaveral tomorrow (hopefully) on its way to Pluto.  This is the first ever mission to Pluto, our farthest planet.  Here are some interesting facts:

- This will be the the most powerful Atlas rocket ever launched employing 5 "strap on" solid rocket motors.

- The New Horizons spacecraft will be the fastest thing to ever leave the earth, traveling at 36,000 miles per hour.  It will pass the moon in 9 hours (It took Apollo 3 days).

- It will take New Horizons 9 years to get to Pluto at a distance of 3.1 billion miles.

- New Horizons will have to "slingshot" around Jupiter to get the extra speed to make it to Pluto in 9 years.

- The spacecraft will have a 5 month fly-by of Pluto, taking data on the way past.  It won't have enough energy to go into orbit around Pluto. 

You can read details of the mission here starting on page 4.  If you are interested in the launch, you can read the Mission Status here.  And if you want to watch the launch live, you can do so here (click on the "View Webcast" button on the right side of the page).  The launch window opens up around 10:24 am and closes around 12:24 pm Pacific Time.

Go Atlas - Go Centaur

And, don't forget to check out Tiffany Nail<_<

Ironically the spacecraft will be powered by 24 pounds of Plutonium!

There are not too many fuels that will last that long in space!

BTW: It is about T minus 2 hours and counting. They are just getting ready to load the cryogenic propellants (Liquid Hydrogen/Liquid Oxygen).

Watch it Live Here Now

Now they're saying T0 is 11.10am PST due to wind problems.

We are preying to the weather gods to keep those winds down otherwise the launch window will slip away. Also, if the vehicle stays tanked with cryogenic propellants too long, we are at higher risk of having other red-line conditions. Keep you fingers crossed. :anibad:

Those suckers in Antigua had their tracking station go down. I think they have to feed the squirrels to get it going again. :anibad:

"A problem is now being reported with the Antigua downrange tracking station. That site must be operating for range safety and tracking for the Atlas 5 rocket to be cleared for launch. The Range expects the station to be ready again around 2:20 p.m. "

T0 is still 11:30 PST.

12.05 PST now, they'll have to get in quick before the window closes!

It's now moved to the end of the Launch window at 12:23 PST. It will be launch or scrub at that time. The upper winds are finally behaving, but the ground winds are a little high. Cross you fingers. RM

Launch scrubbed for today due to a "red-line" condition...

2023 GMT (3:23 p.m. EST)

Tomorrow's launch window extends from 1:16 to 3:15 p.m. EST.

2020 GMT (3:20 p.m. EST)

The countdown has been halted at T-minus 2 minutes, 34 seconds due to a red limit monitor fault. This scrubs today's launch attempt of the New Horizons spacecraft since the window is closing at 3:23 p.m. There isn't enough time to recycle the clock, fix the issue and try again.

Like I said earlier, you keep the Centaur tank at Cryo (-423 F) for too long and you get red-line conditions on some of the instrumentation. That's why I hate when they wait to the end of the window to launch.

Bummer. :anibad:

Edited by RocketMan

I guess it was actually the wind that caused the red-line condition:

2024 GMT (3:24 p.m. EST)

The constraint that violated a red line limit was indeed the ground winds. There was a gust that broke the 33-knot limit as the countdown was proceeding for a last-ditch attempt for launch at the very close of today's available window.

For those that might be interested in Space/Rockets, we have a very important launch scheduled for tomorrow. We will be launching NASAs New Horizons spacecraft form Cape Canaveral tomorrow (hopefully) on its way to Pluto. This is the first ever mission to Pluto, our farthest planet. Here are some interesting facts:

- The New Horizons spacecraft will be the fastest thing to ever leave the earth, traveling at 36,000 miles per hour. It will pass the moon in 9 hours (It took Apollo 3 days).

- The spacecraft will have a 5 month fly-by of Pluto, taking data on the way past. It won't have enough energy to go into orbit around Pluto.

You can read details of the mission here starting on page 4. If you are interested in the launch, you can read the Mission Status here. And if you want to watch the launch live, you can do so here (click on the "View Webcast" button on the right side of the page). The launch window opens up around 10:24 am and closes around 12:24 pm Pacific Time.

Go Atlas - Go Centaur

Edit: There is a lot of good stuff on the NASA Page also.

And, don't forget to check out Tiffany Nail. :anibad:

Thanks for providing the link to the Webcast. I turned it on for my advanced science class. The countdown window was really small and we got a little confused because they kept on adding time. We didn't know that because we were watching with the sound off while we did other things.

We turned the sound on at times and it was very interesting to listen to a mission engineer. I gave the students an assignment to do an an internet search for the meaning of ILS.

Dave

Go Atlas - Go Centaur

And, don't forget to check out Tiffany Nail;)

Thanks for providing the link to the Webcast. I turned it on for my advanced science class. The countdown window was really small and we got a little confused because they kept on adding time. We didn't know that because we were watching with the sound off while we did other things.

We turned the sound on at times and it was very interesting to listen to a mission engineer. I gave the students an assignment to do an an internet search for the meaning of ILS.

Dave

International Launch Services- A Lockheed Company that markets our launch services.

ilslaunch.com

I hope they don't read the GC forums. (Your students that is) :anibad:

Dave

Edited by RocketMan

Anyone seen the new look on the cache pages?

I like the new icons and look of the information on the upper righthand corner, but I don't like the look of the logs. It just seems so much more cluttered to me. The other change I noticed was that none of the pages have background images anymore. (There goes one place to hide puzzle coordinates!!! :anibad:;) )

They've also changed the user profile page. Caches are shown separately (on a different tab) from "trackables". That's a nice change, IMHO.

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer

I like the new icons and look of the information on the upper righthand corner, but I don't like the look of the logs. It just seems so much more cluttered to me. The other change I noticed was that none of the pages have background images anymore. (There goes one place to hide puzzle coordinates!!!  :anibad:  ;) )

They've also changed the user profile page. Caches are shown separately (on a different tab) from "trackables". That's a nice change, IMHO.

Interesting. I also found a little problem with firefox. I can no longer see the tabs options when going to someone's profile (can still click to get to them, just can't see the title).

Edited by duganrm

Interesting. I also found a little problem with firefox. I can no longer see the tabs options when going to someone's profile (can still click to get to them, just can't see the title).

Not sure what you mean by the "tabs options": I'm using FF and the links look and work fine. There aren't any tab-like things on the page any more.

I like the new icons and look of the information on the upper righthand corner, but I don't like the look of the logs. It just seems so much more cluttered to me. The other change I noticed was that none of the pages have background images anymore. (There goes one place to hide puzzle coordinates!!!  ;)  :o )

Couple of other neat things...

Decrypting the hint doesn't cause the whole page page to reload (much faster...)

Mousing over the picture icon (in a log, for example) causes the picture to pop up :P

Not sure what you mean by the "tabs options": I'm using FF and the links look and work fine. There aren't any tab-like things on the page any more.

What I meant by tab options are the options just below "Profile for User:" on anyones profile page.

I figured out what my problem was from reading another thread. I had the bad version of Firefox so I updated it to the newest version and it works fine now. Hopefully I have the updated version at home.

Well, Happy Cache-iversary to Me!

I can't believe it's been a whole year since my brother said, "Have you ever heard of geocaching?" I replied in the negative, he told me what it was, pulled out a cache page and sat photo, and we found Spooky Hill.

My life hasn't been the same since. I've met wonderful people, corresponded with more of the same, been to places I never knew existed, learned how frustrating puzzles can be, learned how much fun frustrating others can be, improved my health, got on the local news, and finally found a reason to put the QDmobile in 4WD mode.

I can't wait to see what the next year has in store. Thanks, everybody!  :P

Congratulations, QDman! :D I would like to say "Ditto" to most everything you wrote -- well, except for the puzzle part -- :o -- and the "getting on the local news part," :D and the 4WD Cachemobile part :) -- on the event of my own Cache-iversary, today, January 17.

I put out a cache along the Hollenbeck Canyon trail I took one year ago today to find Pathfinder and Snoopy's "Hollenbeck Canyon Cache."

Thanks to everyone in this great community for playing a very big part in literally changing my life! :)

Hey, we're like twins, almost!

OK, since we're semi-siblings I hearby offer my help on any puzzles you'd care to name. Even the ones I haven't solved yet. ;)

Go Atlas - Go Centaur

And, don't forget to check out Tiffany Nail:o

Dave

Sorry Dave, I had to postpone the liftoff because I was out in the desert trying to find your latest cache. The wife said she would record it but I wanted to see it live.

Sorry for any inconvenience... ;)

Hello all,

Just wanted to let the SD Caching community know that my Shutterbug Traveling Cache (GCB92C) seems to have stalled in LA. If anyone out there finds themselves up north, maybe you might take a look and bring it home. The first part of its mission is almost over. It took three years and several thousand miles! Don't know what's going on with the LA cachers... It was hidden on the 7th and no one has even attempted... Seems to be in a nice area, but a short hike is needed. Maybe they're more into the parking lot theme.

Thanks!

OK, since we're semi-siblings I hearby offer my help on any puzzles you'd care to name. Even the ones I haven't solved yet.  ;)

Hey QDman! I wanna be your sibling too! Can we be brothers in the greater family of Geocachers who started in 2005?

Jeff / drexotic

Welcome to the family, Jeff. :o

snip

Now that's a skirtlifter! :P

Speaking of lifting things.... :o

I noticed that DJ is back out in the field, how it PW doing? How's the leg? Narly? :o

I'm out and about and feeling 100% better. I couldn't stand an extra week with my stitches in so I pulled them out to try to speed the heading of my infected wound. If I start to loose toes then I guess it time for some methicillin and vancomycin !! ;) Now I just need to find a job to cover my next geocaching accident! <_<

PW

Good morning Rocket Fans. It's another day and another try for the Pluto Mission in T minus 3 hours:

WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 18, 2006

1155 GMT (6:55 a.m. EST)

Countdown no. 2 has started for New Horizons' launch aboard the Atlas 5. After being secured following yesterday's scrub, the rocket was powered up again about an hour ago. Then the guidance test began. Flight control preps are underway now.

The launch window today goes from 10:16 am to approximately 12:16 pm PST. Wind conditions are more favorable today but there is a chance of thunderstorms, so hopefully the launch will be a go.

For early coverage, go to NASA TV (Live Now). To get more complete narrative from our Launch Control go to the ILS page and click on "View Webcast" (Webcast starts at 10:05 am PST). Also, if you get NASA TV on your Cable/Satellite, you can watch it on the TV.

Edited by RocketMan