The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

The New Horizons launch is scrubbed for today. <_< A NASA lab in Maryland had a power outage, so they can't support the launch today. Another try tomorrow. RM

WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 18, 2006

1459 GMT (9:59 a.m. EST)

SCRUB! Today's launch attempt has been called off. The New Horizons mission control center at the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory suffered a power outage this morning. The backup system using generators is not sufficient to proceed with the launch. So the first mission to Pluto will remain on Earth for another day.

Tomorrow's launch window extends from 1:08 to 3:07 p.m. EST.

She stands waiting:

493444d8-306b-4d57-9502-4c360e52f502.jpg

Edited by RocketMan

Hi San Diegans,

I am about as much as a newbie as you can get. I started listening to the "podcacher" podcast by Itrax and Foxtail and ended up getting a GPSr. Just got it (iTrex Legend) and found my first cache this morning. I am traveling at the moment and can't wait to get home to find my local caches!

Anyways... just wanted to introduce myself. btw - I don't actually live in San Diego, but in Murrieta. figured I would stow-away on your thread instead of starting a "Murrieta Thread". <_<

-Steve

Welcome to the addiction . . . er . . . activity. :laughing:

You don't have to sugar-coat it... I have been living vicariously through all your exploits for a few months now and have already caught the bug.

Is there a 12 step program for this somewhere?

-Steve

Its real easy to quit, why I have done it 3 or 4 times at least :laughing: .Like the others have said welcome aboard, There are a few of us in your area :laughing:

Edited by vagabond
Here is a brief update. There is a bikedog wake planned for Saturday January 21st at 1pm in Elfin Forest (close to Escondido and San Marcos). Directions will follow later this week.

A memorial trust account is being set up at a local financial institution where donations will be accepted for his 13 year old daughter's benefit. Again details will follow once it is set up.

His wife, Nancy, has been blown away by your collective outpouring of prayers and well wishes.

Thanks to Rocket Man for placing the "Its All Good" Bikedog Memorial Cache in Colorado today.

Thanks to Caching Widow for creating the Bikedog memorial coin, it looks great.

Howling Wolf

In response to all of your inquiries, a bikedog memorial account has been set up for the benefit of his 13 year old daughter. Checks should be made out to the "Gradisher Memorial" and sent to the following address:

San Diego County Credit Union

501 N El Camino Real

Encinitas, CA 92024

If you live locally, you can also drop off your cash donations at any San Diego County Credit Union Branch.

Again, thank you for all of your prayers and condolences.

Howling Wolf

Here is a brief update. There is a bikedog wake planned for Saturday January 21st at 1pm in Elfin Forest (close to Escondido and San Marcos). Directions will follow later this week.

A memorial trust account is being set up at a local financial institution where donations will be accepted for his 13 year old daughter's benefit.  Again details will follow once it is set up.

His wife, Nancy, has been blown away by your collective outpouring of prayers and well wishes.

Thanks to Rocket Man for placing the "Its All Good" Bikedog Memorial Cache in Colorado today.

Howling Wolf

In response to all of your inquiries, a bikedog memorial account has been set up for the benefit of his 13 year old daughter. Checks should be made out to the "Gradisher Memorial" and sent to the following address:

San Diego County Credit Union

501 N El Camino Real

Encinitas, CA 92024

If you live locally, you can also drop off your cash donations at any San Diego County Credit Union Branch.

Again, thank you for all of your prayers and condolences.

Howling Wolf

Thanks for the information. I can't imagine my wife or our kids left in that situation.

Paul

aka Adelos

A memorial trust account is being set up at a local financial institution where donations will be accepted for his 13 year old daughter's benefit.  Again details will follow once it is set up.

Howling Wolf

Thanks for the update HW. We'll stay tuned for more info on the wake.

Howling Wolf

Thanks for the update HW. We'll stay tuned for more info on the wake.

In case you missed the posting, the Bikedog Memorial Party will be held this Saturday January 21st in Elfin Forest, CA (close to Escondido and San Marcos). If you would like to attend, send an email to howling.wolf@sbcglobal.net and I will send you the eVite.

Thanks,

Howling Wolf

Anyone seen the new look on the cache pages?

I like the new icons and look of the information on the upper righthand corner, but I don't like the look of the logs. It just seems so much more cluttered to me. (  :) )

I posted that issue here and I see that it has been fixed now. It looks much better with some space between logs. RM

Edited by RocketMan

A couple of things I hadn't noticed before...

There is a new log type: "Needs Maintenance". I wonder, though, when I would use it. If I found the cache and it needs maintenance, I'd either say so in my Found log or I'll e-mail the owner. If I didn't find the cache, I would have no way of knowing whether it needs maintenance or not -- unless it was obviously gone. But in this case, I would say so in my DNF log.

I guess I could use it when the owner seems to be out to lunch and want to indicate to the next searcher that a new log book or container would be a kharmic thing to bring.

Something else I just discovered is the WAP version of Geocaching.Com. This has been around for several months but I never knew it existed until yesterday. It's a minimal version of the web pages intended to be used from a WAP capable mobile phone. It's not flashy and it's not full featured, but it is functional (at least on my phone.) You can access it at wap.geocaching.com. (You can check it out using a standard browser...)

This'll be real handy for the times when I'm on the road and wouldn't be able to log my finds for a few days otherwise. Also, I can use it when my Palm goes belly-up (which it has done occasionally) to look up cache information.

There is a new log type: "Needs Maintenance". I wonder, though, when I would use it. If I found the cache and it needs maintenance, I'd either say so in my Found log or I'll e-mail the owner. If I didn't find the cache, I would have no way of knowing whether it needs maintenance or not -- unless it was obviously gone. But in this case, I would say so in my DNF log.

I guess I could use it when the owner seems to be out to lunch and want to indicate to the next searcher that a new log book or container would be a kharmic thing to bring.

Something else I just discovered is the WAP version of Geocaching.Com. This has been around for several months but I never knew it existed until yesterday. It's a minimal version of the web pages intended to be used from a WAP capable mobile phone. It's not flashy and it's not full featured, but it is functional (at least on my phone.) You can access it at wap.geocaching.com. (You can check it out using a standard browser...)

This'll be real handy for the times when I'm on the road and wouldn't be able to log my finds for a few days otherwise. Also, I can use it when my Palm goes belly-up (which it has done occasionally) to look up cache information.

Oh great! Now I need to activate internet access on my phone.

I'll need a good excuse for this one.

So when are they going to come up with an all-in-one? GPSr, phone, palm, internet access, ??? :) Just think, PW would have ruined/lost only one machine instead of the two or three that he did! :)

So when are they going to come up with an all-in-one? GPSr, phone, palm, internet access, ??? :blink: Just think, PW would have ruined/lost only one machine instead of the two or three that he did! :)

All-in-one. Who's gonna be first?

D!

edit: oops, not a phone, oh well.

Edited by Duncan!
So when are they going to come up with an all-in-one?  GPSr, phone, palm, internet access, ???

Duncan and I have one with the capabilities.

We both have Verizon Pocket PCs - made by Audiovox; I only use mine as a PDA; Duncan uses his as his phone and has Internet access -brat :blink: . Both can be used as GPS with available soft/hardware. I think Flagman has one also - brat :) .

So when are they going to come up with an all-in-one?  GPSr, phone, palm, internet access, ???

We both have Verizon Pocket PCs - made by Audiovox; I only use mine as a PDA; Duncan uses his as his phone and has Internet access -brat :blink: . Both can be used as GPS with available soft/hardware. I think Flagman has one also - brat :) .

It has GPS too? What is the model number?

It has GPS too? What is the model number?

I may be mistaken, but if I understand it correctly, we would have to get not only software, but a small GPSr receiver (to hook up to the pocket pc).

This explains it...

Kinda defeats the purpose. I'm very happy having just two gadgets. Having it all in one I think would be a mistake, at least for me.

D!

Edit: Here is the pocket pc with built in GPS

Another Edit: I do like the bluetooth idea, I could slap the little receiver on my belt and use the PPC as an all in one. I'm so wishy-washy.

Edited by Duncan!

1558 GMT (7:58 a.m. PST)

T-minus 120 minutes and counting! Countdown clocks are running again for launch of the Atlas 5 rocket and New Horizons headed for Pluto. Clocks have one more built-in hold planned at T-minus 4 minutes. That pause will last 10 minutes, giving the launch team one last chance to catch up on work running late or deal with any problems.

T-minus 120 minutes and counting! Countdown clocks are running again for launch of the Atlas 5 rocket and New Horizons headed for Pluto. Clocks have one more built-in hold planned at T-minus 4 minutes. That pause will last 10 minutes, giving the launch team one last chance to catch up on work running late or deal with any problems.

Ground control to Major Tom....

Ground control to Major Tom....

Hey Flagman, I think TG is talking to you. :blink:

For some reason I can't get the webcast, but I was watching the countdown timer and when it got to zero, it jumped back to 00:59:00. Bummer!

Launch is now slated for 1:30PM EST.

The cloud cover is too low at the moment...It needs to be above 6000 feet.

It's funny because we have launched in total cloud cover many times. I think NASA is a little conservative. RM

I had a Magellan unit that snapped onto my Palm 505. It worked great for car trips but not so great for Geocaching. I actually tried finding a cache in early 2003 with it and failed. Didn't try again till last June after purchasing my Garmin.

hey guys,

Just wanted to say that now I am officially hooked!

I searched for my first micro cache yesterday and had a DNF. Went back this morning with a renewed determination and found it! I think it was more rewarding than if I had found it first time out. Anyone else have that kind of experience?

Anyways, I have found 3 caches so far! still travelling, so can't wait to go home and find those closer to home. :ph34r:

Steve