The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

It's not payday yet. The upper stage Centaur is in a 19 minute coast after which MES2 (Main Engine Start 2) will occur. After the second burn, Centaur will spin up and release the payload and then we can breathe easy! Stay tuned. RM

P.S. - The booster performed nominally right down the range.

It's not payday yet. The upper stage Centaur is in a 19 minute coast after which MES2 (Main Engine Start 2) will occur. After the second burn, Centaur will spin up and release the payload and then we can breathe easy! Stay tuned. RM

So I guess it will be passing the moon at around 10PM PST tonight....

Hey guys,

Just wanted to say that now I am officially hooked!

I searched for my first micro cache yesterday and had a DNF. Went back this morning with a renewed determination and found it! I think it was more rewarding than if I had found it first time out. Anyone else have that kind of experience?

Anyways, I have found 3 caches so far! Still travelling, so can't wait to go home and find those closer to home. :ph34r:

Steve

O my word, life is good. Say Pupuhead, is there any chance we can get you to team up with PassingWind?

Imagine PassingWind and Pupuhead together as we've always wanted them ... now if we can only get Stinky Feet to move down here from Ottowa we'll have a perfect trio.

In answer to your question, yes, most all of us have had that experience. Many of us actually admit it too.

I'll try to remember to tune back in in 8 years time :-)

It will pass Jupiter in 13 months. Then it will go into hibernation for 8 years and on around July 2015 (the earliest expected arrival) it will arrive at Pluto! I expect by then that the the Splashes will have found 12454 caches, Chuy will have 758 FTFs, and Flagman will have solved 921 puzzles! :ph34r:

It's not payday yet.  The upper stage Centaur is in a 19 minute coast after which MES2 (Main Engine Start 2) will occur.  After the second burn, Centaur will spin up and release the payload and then we can breathe easy!  Stay tuned.  RM

Dave,

Good on y'. I'll keep up with the program if I live that long. Sure is exciting times with all the exploration packages out there in the void.

"Performed nominally" huh? That's what a gal told me back in the seventies. From my own experience I can't imagine why you feel so good about that.

In late February I'm spending an advanced-observers night at Kitt Peak Observatory south of Tucson, Arizona. Sandy's brother-in-law from Connecticut and I have exclusive use of a 20-inch telescope one night from 8:00 pm until the moon rises at about 4:30 am. Our arrangements include rooms in the dormitory and meals with the astronomers in residence. Really looking forward to another Kitt Peak experience.

Maybe we can spot that tiny little package you boosted as it scoots across space toward it's exciting mission. Yeah, I know, not a chance at that distance. Guess we'll just have to concentrate on our planned observations.

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

According to initial data, both the Atlas and the Centaur performed flawlessly. For those that were watching the Launch, here are the significant events:

Booster:

8635f4c4-cfed-4d46-8354-1319854f692f.jpg

Centaur:

45f6047c-83a8-4255-a226-0a05732cdd82.jpg

Terms:

SRB - Solid Rocket Booster

BECO - Booster Engine Cutoff

MES 1 - Main Engine Start 1 (Centaur)

MECO 1 - Main Engine Cutoff 1 (Centaur)

MES 2 - Main Engine Start 2 (Centaur)

MECO 2 - Main Engine Cutoff 2 (Centaur

If you were watching the video, you could see the SRB Jettison (5 SRB's at once) and the Payload Fairing Jettison (2 pieces). We have had launches with video cameras on board where you can see everything happening close up.

We can breathe easy now.

Take Care,

Rocket Man

My question likely got lost in the Rocket Launch so I'll ask again . . .

Did anyone see

Geocaching puts authorities on edge

in the news?

Sorry 'bout that.....

I've seen that topic covered a few times. I think the last time it was discussed was after a cache found too close to the LA Airport. To me it all boils down to using some common sense when placing caches. The caches cited in that article all break the posted GC rules:

Caches may be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not inclusive):

Caches on land maintained by the U.S. National Park Service or U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (National Wildlife Refuges)

Caches that are buried. If a shovel, trowel or other “pointy” object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate.

Caches that deface public or private property, whether a natural or man-made object, in order to provide a clue or a logging method.

Caches placed on archaeological or historical sites. In most cases these areas are highly sensitive to the extra traffic that would be caused by vehicles and humans.

Caches hidden in close proximity to active railroad tracks. In general we use a distance of 150 ft but your local area’s trespassing laws may be different. All local laws apply.

Caches near or on military installations.

Caches near or under public structures deemed potential or possible targets for terrorist attacks. These include but are not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings, elementary and secondary schools, and airports.

Edited by TrailGators
As for the rocket performing "nominally," it has been my experience that in aerospace jargon that means midway between tolerance extremes: perfect!

Well sure, but not during the seventies. During the seventies the gals had the idea that there was something beyond perfect. Too bad for me.

Edited by SD Rowdies
My question likely got lost in the Rocket Launch so I'll ask again . . .

Did anyone see

Geocaching puts authorities on edge

in the news?

Sorry 'bout that.....

I've seen that topic covered a few times. I think the last time it was discussed was after a cache found too close to the LA Airport. To me it all boils down to using some common sense when placing caches. The caches cited in that article all break the posted GC rules:

Caches may be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not inclusive):

Caches on land maintained by the U.S. National Park Service or U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (National Wildlife Refuges)

Caches that are buried. If a shovel, trowel or other “pointy” object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate.

Caches that deface public or private property, whether a natural or man-made object, in order to provide a clue or a logging method.

Caches placed on archaeological or historical sites. In most cases these areas are highly sensitive to the extra traffic that would be caused by vehicles and humans.

Caches hidden in close proximity to active railroad tracks. In general we use a distance of 150 ft but your local area’s trespassing laws may be different. All local laws apply.

Caches near or on military installations.

Caches near or under public structures deemed potential or possible targets for terrorist attacks. These include but are not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings, elementary and secondary schools, and airports.

What about puzzle caches that y' can't figure out?

We should be grateful for our weather...read the 1/17 post for this cache in Wisconsin! Pretty funny!

"currently have the logbook but plan on returning it within the month. Wanted to read all the entry's but didn't want to stand in the cold. " ... a good example of what not to do .. single digit finder.

I'm not sure it's possible to sign a logbook when it's 20 degrees below zero! :laughing:

Isn't San Diego great! :laughing:

Edit: I checked the temps for Wisconsin Rapids for today and it's only 32 degrees. So that guy is a noob! :anitongue:

Edited by TrailGators
We should be grateful for our weather...read the 1/17 post for this cache in Wisconsin! Pretty funny!

"currently have the logbook but plan on returning it within the month. Wanted to read all the entry's but didn't want to stand in the cold. " ... a good example of what not to do .. single digit finder.

Hey, no one will be looking for it until about April anyway :anitongue::laughing::laughing:

As for the rocket performing "nominally," it has been my experience that in aerospace jargon that means midway between tolerance extremes: perfect!

Well sure, but not during the seventies. During the seventies the gals had the idea that there was something beyond perfect. Too bad for me.

Yeah, the good old 70's. They wrote a song about us..."I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was..."

Hey, no one will be looking for it until about April anyway :D:P:D

Oh yea? :D The noob was out there this month! :lol: If those people don't cache in the snow, they don't have a very large window to cache. :lol:

Hey, we still do!! :lol:

We went to the movies tonight and I was hot-dogging it on the snow covered road.  You know, trying out that turn in the direction of the slide thing.  It worked great until I lost control and ended up over the curb into a little construction fence.  No damage and it was all fun.  :lol:

I bent a rim doing that during my first winter in Eau Claire. I wasn't used how front-wheel drive handled on snow covered ice.

Edited by TrailGators
We went to the movies tonight and I was hot-dogging it on the snow covered road.  You know, trying out that turn in the direction of the slide thing.  It worked great until I lost control and ended up over the curb into a little construction fence.  No damage and it was all fun.  :lol:

I bent a rim doing that during my first winter in Eau Claire. I wasn't used how front-wheel drive handled on snow covered ice.

I'm headed to Philly the first part of the week next week, then heading up to Albany, New York Tuesday night and returning home on Friday. I don't think there's any snow in Philly right now...but I know that Albany will definately have some. This will make it the 3nd time I've ever driven in snow. So...I probably won't be hot dogging in the snow for fun.......but I'll make sure I let everbody know around me that I mean't to do that! :lol:

Now Geocaching in the snow, that's a challenge....I did one up in Salt Lake City, Utah last year. I guess there are always exceptions to the rule of not burying the cache with snow. That was a treat. Fortunately a corner of the cache was exposed.

I am definately going to try and cache in Albany.....I'd like to place a couple of TB's up there. But I will also definately be bundling up. I don't know how people do it. (that is live in areas where there is snow......and freezing cold!)

By the way, great pic Rocketman........So really, did you put your parka on to take the pic? and were you wearing shorts and flip flops? :P

Keep enjoying that SD weather.

Pic taken a few minutes ago:

fd0d157f-951a-4792-9587-1251d21da6c3.jpg

Didn't you just move into that new house? Where are all the boxes and crates and piles of clothes?

O, sorry, ... just remembered that you went through the Cedar fire.

Harmon

They have basements out there! <_<

Carlsbad was fortunate and dodged both the Cedar and Paradise fires....

Didn't you just move into that new house? Where are all the boxes and crates and piles of clothes?

Harmon

TG's got it right. You should see the basement! <_<

Now Geocaching in the snow, that's a challenge....I did one up in Salt Lake City, Utah last year.  I guess there are always exceptions to the rule of not burying the cache with snow.  That was a treat.  Fortunately a corner of the cache was exposed.

The first cache that I ever tried in the snow was on a trip to Denver. It was stuck in a bunch of rocks and with snow completely covering the rocks, it was impossible to find it. I went back to that cache when there was no snow and found it in a couple of minutes. I have been successful at finding all of the other caches that I have looked for in the snow. TG and I found one in some rocks under snow up in the Rockies but we got lucky on that one. RM

64afb218-a63b-4ad5-8584-81747c58ef27.jpg

Harmon

O yeah, that's right, you weren't an east-county redneck.

Rednecks leave stuff in the garage 'cause they now that they'll be evicted pretty soon anyway. I was saving that tip for you back when it looked like you were headed for Arkansas.

Also consider getting a redneck metal detector for those snow-covered ammo cans.

Edited by SD Rowdies
Keep enjoying that SD weather.Pic taken a few minutes ago:[snip]
Didn't you just move into that new house? Where are all the boxes and crates and piles of clothes?Harmon
O yeah, that's right, you weren't an east-county redneck. Rednecks leave stuff in the garage 'cause they now that they'll be evicted pretty soon anyway.

Hey! I live in East County and my garage is packed with stuff! Does that mean I'm a redneck?

5325af3a-5fd1-47fb-b446-8b1f034bea0d.jpg

Here is my mom caching on 1FEB05 looking for

"The Offical Cold Spot?" .  For some reason they came home with a DNF but the next month they found it.

Sweet!!

I miss the snow....don'tcha know!!!

Great photo! I think da cache is down der hey!

Edit: I'm gonna look for some good snow photos from my past this weekend! :drama:

Edited by TrailGators
Didn't you just move into that new house? Where are all the boxes and crates and piles of clothes?Harmon
They have basements out there! :blink:
TG's got it right. You should see the basement! :drama:
O yeah, that's right, you weren't an east-county redneck. Rednecks leave stuff in the garage 'cause they now that they'll be evicted pretty soon anyway.

Hey! I live in East County and my garage is packed with stuff! Does that mean I'm a redneck?

Definitely one sign of being a redneck. What's yo'r feelin t'ard live stock?

They have basements out there! :blink:
TG's got it right. You should see the basement! :drama:

Definitely one sign of being a redneck. What's yo'r feelin t'ard live stock?

They make reeeal good steaks! :blink:

Edited by TrailGators
Like myself, I'm sure there are many of us that never had the privilege of knowing Bikedog other than through his cache logs, photos and finding his caches. So I'd like to say on behalf of all of us that our thoughts and prayers are with Bikedog, his family and his friends today....

Today, at the Bikedog memorial wake, there were many cachers there, some that have never even seen Jerry before. We sure have a great group of people here. More BikeDog related news soon to come. And please, everybody be careful out there! Also, take lots of photos and videos along the way!

Edited by kawikaturn
Like myself, I'm sure there are many of us that never had the privilege of knowing Bikedog other than through his cache logs, photos and finding his caches. So I'd like to say on behalf of all of us that our thoughts and prayers are with Bikedog, his family and his friends today....

Today, at the Bikedog memorial wake, there were many cachers there, some that have never even seen Jerry before. We sure have a great group of people here. More BikeDog related news soon to come. And please, everybody be careful out there! Also, take lots of photos and videos along the way!

Along with kawikaturn, I spotted Team Reid, Cornerstone4, K-NIC, Ruscal & Birdlegs, Jerry of Toby's Gang, Blondes Run Amuck, PassingWind and CachingWidow, John&Jess, iTrax and FoxTail and, of course, Howling Wolf. Hope I didn't forget anyone. Much appreciation was expressed for PW, CW and C4's efforts on the Bikedog Memorial Coin, and I was truly touched to see a basket filled with reprints of the BDM series of Yrium Geocacher Cards near the guest book with the following information on the back side:

Jerry Gradisher

April 3, 1961 - January 13, 2006

Please make donations to: Jerry Gradisher Memorial Fund, San Diego Credit Union, 501 N. El Camino Real, Encinitas, CA 92024.

Howling Wolf has plans for a local Bikedog Memorial Cache at the top of Frank's Peak -- fitting as this was a local favorite biking trail and Frank was Jerry's middle name. After the wake a group of us visited a number of bikedog caches and left BDM cards. I think Jerry would have been very happy to know how his life was celebrated today in so many touching ways.

da8edf1b-24ae-4450-9a2d-f70bc9e398c3.jpg

Edited by FlagMan