The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

There is a travelling cache, The Postcard Cache, making its rounds in San Diego.  Essentially, the finder takes the cache; hides it somewhere, and emails the owner with the new coords.

Needless to say it can get a bit frustrating for those attempting to locate the cache only to find it has been picked up.

The owner has said the locals can agree not to move it for a few days.  So, I propose we not move the cache on odd-numbered days.  Of course, not everyone reads the forums or reads all the logs, but we can deal with that.  6 of the last 7 finders have visited the forums.

Motion made; discussion or second the motion?

I second the motion! :D

And I motion that people quit posting notes on the cache page...counted seven (not counting the owners notes) since it was last logged all about moving and placing and disabling... :D yikes!

"this needs to be moved when found"...

"Remember though, part of the fun is trying to be a first finder before it is moved to a different location."...

~Jess (and yes, I realize we got the handoff on this cache from FlagMan but I had to go all the way to NY and NJ to get it with him!!)

:)

Hey, this is probably the only type of cache that 7 notes don't mess you up when you are looking for hints in the logs! :D

Hiding the cache as Chuy suggested allows the FTFers their fix every two days AND it allows the Non-FTFers a crack at an extinct cache type. The cache owner even agreed! Soooo are there any more yes votes out there?! :D

P.S. If a certain nameless cacher hadn't sat on this cache for SIX WEEKS, we'd all have found it already! So if you can't hide it in a reasonable amount of then time then PLEASE don 't take it..... :bad:

Edit: I deleted my last two notes on the cache page but I'm leaving the one with the suggestion. :)

Edited by TrailGators
There is a travelling cache, The Postcard Cache, making its rounds in San Diego. Essentially, the finder takes the cache; hides it somewhere, and emails the owner with the new coords.

Needless to say it can get a bit frustrating for those attempting to locate the cache only to find it has been picked up.

The owner has said the locals can agree not to move it for a few days. So, I propose we not move the cache on odd-numbered days. Of course, not everyone reads the forums or reads all the logs, but we can deal with that. 6 of the last 7 finders have visited the forums.

Oh boy! Sounds like fun! I agree with Chuy's motion....

Got a little tired of seeing the Broncos get their butts kicked, so we spent a little time watching a Fox out our back window.  We saw him come in and nab a rat.  Very Cool.d27c04ea-3d24-4a8f-b2e2-8950d50ec8dc.jpg

Beautiful animal! Fox sitings have been very rare for me. You guys were lucky today! It's kind of funny how much they act like dogs!

Dave~

The Fox pics are awesome!!! Wow!

The Broncos must have been taking 'choke' lessons from t he Chargers.

We were rootin' for them tho!

Thanks for all of your pictures, we enjoy them, and you guys don't seem so far away.

The Splashes

Wow! Really nice! So what neighborhood do you live in? How much acreage do you have? :D Or how far away is the wild area?

Wow!  Really nice!  So what neighborhood do you live in?  How much acreage do you have?  :D  Or how far away is the wild area?

No acreage to speak of, but we have some nice open space in the back of the house. I think that little fella lives in the open space. He walked up right to the edge of our lot when we saw him pounce on the rat. The pictures were taken through our back window with Mrs. Rocket Mans Canon digital SLR. We see deer strolling through once in a while also. RM

There is a travelling cache, The Postcard Cache, making its rounds in San Diego.  Essentially, the finder takes the cache; hides it somewhere, and emails the owner with the new coords.

The owner has said the locals can agree not to move it for a few days.  So, I propose we not move the cache on odd-numbered days.  Of course, not everyone reads the forums or reads all the logs, but we can deal with that.  6 of the last 7 finders have visited the forums.

Man, missed it by 4 hours. Since I was competing with our local FTF hounds, that translates to 16 dog years late!

Could be a tough one to bag for us slow-pokes.

I know this may be a very basic question, but I have to ask. Those of you who create caches, especially puzzles. Do you use some kind of HTML program to create the description on the cache page?

My newest cache was originally a puzzle. I typed it all out and submitted it. When I went back to look at my page, The text I typed out was all out of whack and out of alignment. An important part of the puzzle would've been in keeping my digits all aligned. So I tried to re-create it using MS word then saving it in HTML. That didn't work either. Frustrated, I switched it to a traditional.

Does someone here have some advise for me? I have a few cool ideas for puzzles and would like to do them soon.

Thanks,

Randy

I know this may be a very basic question, but I have to ask. Those of you who create caches, especially puzzles. Do you use some kind of HTML program to create the description on the cache page?

My newest cache was originally a puzzle. I typed it all out and submitted it. When I went back to look at my page, The text I typed out was all out of whack and out of alignment. An important part of the puzzle would've been in keeping my digits all aligned. So I tried to re-create it using MS word then saving it in HTML. That didn't work either. Frustrated, I switched it to a traditional.

Does someone here have some advise for me? I have a few cool ideas for puzzles and would like to do them soon.

Thanks,

Randy

I use MS Frontpage, then I copy and paste it into the submission field. Or, you could create an image for your puzzle (photoshop), especially if alignment is an issue. If you're using HTML, make sure you have that little "The descriptions below are in HTML" box checked in the cache submission form. Hope that helps,

D!

Got a little tired of seeing the Broncos get their butts kicked, so we spent a little time watching a Fox out our back window.  We saw him come in and nab a rat.  Very Cool.

Beautiful animal! Fox sitings have been very rare for me. You guys were lucky today! It's kind of funny how much they act like dogs!

Dave~

ee42b0f9-dfb7-48e8-935a-e93493611ba1.jpg

Edited by SD Rowdies
Got a little tired of seeing the Broncos get their butts kicked, so we spent a little time watching a Fox out our back window.  We saw him come in and nab a rat.  Very Cool.

Dave~

ee42b0f9-dfb7-48e8-935a-e93493611ba1.jpg

Hey Harmon you goofed it should have been a snow leopard

Good point. Why didn't I think of that .. or why didn't I have a stock photo of a Snow Leopard handy? I'll see what I can do.

628dbef8-1430-4027-990b-2e0dd6e6a3a9.jpg

I wonder if RM heard any music coming from his backyard?

da dum......da dum......da dum da dum da dum..... :lol:

Does your dog bite Monsieur?

Edited by SD Rowdies

Good point. Why didn't I think of that .. or why didn't I have a stock photo of a Snow Leopard handy? I'll see what I can do.

Does your dog bite messier?

He does wee wee!!!

Does your dog bite Monsieur?

He does wee wee!!!

No, no ... "Ees not my dog Monsieur."

Well, back to a semblance of being on topic, or should I post this on the banter thread? :D

I went for a walk to look for Lassie at lunch today, and got rid of a parcel I had been carrying. I was supposed to meet PW for lunch today, and we were going to hide the postcard cache then, but he couldn't get to town until this afternoon. Well, I had already committed to someone that I would place the cache today, so I did it while looking for Lassie.

I went to make a post here, but I got interrupted, and just got back to it. The only problem is, PW broke the land speed record from Ramona and just called to say he has it...

Oh well, there is still that Moun10Bike coin out there for the taking...

I guess Dan-oh sorta answered my question, but I'll ask it anyway.

Has nobody placed a cache in the last few days or...?

Not that I'm complaing, gives me a chance to play ketchup!

I imagine were gonna get quite a flood of new caches...tonight?

Nice fish,

D

I've been working-sitting-working on this cache for over 2 months. It amazing how long these complicated caches take to conceptualize and place. I ain't complaining, just giving excuses :D

Our dinner conversation revolved around how long it would take for a FTF from time of release. The kids said 7-10 days.

Bwahaha! It'll be shorter than than...but prolly not by much.

< / throw gauntlet>

Nice fish,

D

I've been working-sitting-working on this cache for over 2 months. It amazing how long these complicated caches take to conceptualize and place. I ain't complaining, just giving excuses :ph34r:

Our dinner conversation revolved around how long it would take for a FTF from time of release. The kids said 7-10 days.

Bwahaha! It'll be shorter than than...but prolly not by much.

< / throw gauntlet>

Is it tougher than Snakes and Ladders? :D

PW broke the land speed record from Ramona and just called to say he has it...

Just got some new socks to honor the occasion! :ph34r:

a4bda7ad-7455-4468-8475-1a79b2e51457.jpg

That's funny and sad, cause I own a pair of those.....yes that is the State bird.

2bfe9fc5-cad2-4eb6-94a6-38e95a271b3a.jpg

To mark the occasion, I got you a beer.....beer_stone_aba_twntytwo_c.jpg

:D When do I get my AB?! :D

Edit: By the way PW, I have a T-Shirt with a design on it like your socks (but with a different mosquito invested State on it) and I have an AB T-Shirt! :D

Edited by TrailGators
Get ready for Mississippi!

a0b09f4b-901d-46e6-85a6-e208e5d1697b.jpg

GCT2T1...whenever its approved

Nice fish,

D

I submitted one on Saturday. I'll probably submit another this weekend. Will anyone be surprised to hear there are puzzles involved. :)

Nice fish,

D

I submitted one on Saturday. I'll probably submit another this weekend. Will anyone be surprised to hear there are puzzles involved. :)

It's up!!!

Nice fish,

D

It's up!!!

I think I have the first piece of the puzzle! :)

Dan, what the heck is that?

:)

The image is a smallmouth bass. It isn't really one that you would find in the Mississippi river but I figured I have some poetic license there. I like the "old time" feel of the black and white. The story itself was written by a junior member of Team Taskmasters for her school assignment. It has the perfect theme and story line for an elaborate cache.

Is it harder then S&L?

There are fewer stages than S&L but I doubt anyone can do it in a single day. That should be interesting. S&L took Parsa and I three plus months to set up; Mississippi River took me about as long. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a similar outcome. :)

edit:

Puzzles from me aren't about math or cyphers. I just couldn't pull that off. First you have to...eh, I'll let you find out yourself. I'm sure there will be that similar sense of frustration found in a normal puzzle.

Edited by Dan-oh

Howdy everyone. We have a quick question regarding caches around Palm Desert and Lake Cahuilla. Has anyone done caches GCJHF0 - GCJ23C and GCJ2TK- GCJ23G ? Do you need a truck or SUV to do these caches or can they be walked?? We aren't sure if our Toyota Matrix will make it to the trailhead. :)

... We aren't sure if our Toyota Matrix will make it to the trailhead. :)

I have not done the caches your refer to, but at least you would not be alone ... plenty of cache to keep you company!

6cd78bf3-07ea-4799-9276-d3ec5ec9840d.jpg

One thing I know (not by personal experience) FOR SURE - It is possible to do 100 caches in a day out there!

Puzzles from me aren't about math or cyphers.  I just couldn't pull that off.  First you have to...eh, I'll let you find out yourself.  I'm sure there will be that similar sense of frustration found in a normal puzzle.

NOT!

Generally, puzzles are relatively easy to locate the container ONCE you figure out the coords - from the comfort of your home and computer of course.

Your camo hides are the opposite, easy to get the coords, but not to find the loot!

And you can't compare the frustration from your hides to a normal puzzle, try, at least, an above average puzzle. :)

Keep 'em coming :) .

... We aren't sure if our Toyota Matrix will make it to the trailhead. :)

I have not done the caches your refer to, but at least you would not be alone ... plenty of cache to keep you company!

6cd78bf3-07ea-4799-9276-d3ec5ec9840d.jpg

One thing I know (not by personal experience) FOR SURE - It is possible to do 100 caches in a day out there!

I know we are trying to fight the urge to just take off from work and go....I mean look at it...it is a sea of green!!! :) MUST FEED THE ADDICTION

Road trip anyone?

I was just going through the coin forum, and saw where someone released a new coin commemorating a record they set last year.

The record was for the most caches found in a 24 hour period...263! :)

Here is the thread where the new record was discussed.

It sounds like we could go to the Jacksonville area and get 300 in a 24 hour period and claim the record. :)